Legal Questions for our Verified Lawyers #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Since the DT elected to appeal the lying conviction, could that backfire in their face big time?
Resulting in a different calculation of the sentence vs time served. Also in view that JP said (if I heard that correctly ) that probation can not be served concurrently with a sentence?

Whether they appealed or not, IMO any error(s) in the calculation could be corrected. Possible errors: (1) running lying sentence concurrently with the check fraud sentence (but this might have been done on purpose), (2) failing to limit "good time" credits to 15% of total sentence for lying.

Judge Perry said, in court yesterday, that he would be looking at Administrative Probation and possibly other "types" of probation. As Chief Judge, I'm sure he knows that an offender has to serve half of their supervised probation (successfully) before they can be eligible for Admin. Probation. So, what types of "other" probation are there ? I can't find any. TIA.

Apparently there is a County Ordinance for county prisoners that allows for an additional 5 days gain a month in addition to the 5 days monthly statuary gain.
Would not that legally allow for a greater than 15% good time credits off a sentence.

Snipped from the Orange County Corrections memo

"Initial computations indicated, based on a sentence of four (4) one (1) year terms, inmate Anthony was eligible for 240 days of “statutory gain time”, awarded at the rate of 5 days per month for each of the 48 months. In addition, inmate Anthony was eligible for “constructive gain time”, as authorized by County Ordinance due to her Protective Custody status."

Since the DT elected to appeal the lying conviction, could that backfire in their face big time?
Resulting in a different calculation of the sentence vs time served. Also in view that JP said (if I heard that correctly ) that probation can not be served concurrently with a sentence?

Not really, since the sentences were the maximum and ran consecutively. If they lose their appeal nothing would change, if they win it the length of the sentences would be reduced or they would be made to run concurrently. In either case the total length of the sentence would be reduced.

It is also worth pointing out that her probation was served out before the sentence was applied, and the judge applied the sentence to time served, presumably concurrent with the other sentence (since he would certainly have known about it). Once these orders have been entered, where the judge should reasonably have been aware of the circumstances, is it legal in Florida to retroactively change them?

Judge Perry said, in court yesterday, that he would be looking at Administrative Probation and possibly other "types" of probation. As Chief Judge, I'm sure he knows that an offender has to serve half of their supervised probation (successfully) before they can be eligible for Admin. Probation. So, what types of "other" probation are there ? I can't find any. TIA.

They talk about the different kinds of probation at FL DOC :behindbar: website.

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/pub/annual/9899/stats/stat_cs.htmlhttp://199.44.254.204/Statutes/inde...ng=&URL=0900-0999/0948/Sections/0948.001.html

Those would have to be the other types of probation :deal:that he referenced.

Corrections didn't just have a "Name-That-Probation." contest.

(Although at this point you almost wouldn't be able to tell the difference.):pullhair:

In fact, the different types of probation enumerated at the Corrections website are taken from statutory authority:
Chapter 948 has the definitions and gives us the different kinds of probation and supervision.:nono:

948.001 Definitions.—As used in this chapter, the term:
(1) “Administrative probation” means a form of noncontact supervision in which an offender who presents a low risk of harm to the community may, upon satisfactory completion of half the term of probation:sheesh: , be transferred by the Department of Corrections to nonreporting status until expiration of the term of supervision.......
(3) “Community control” means a form of intensive, supervised custody in the community, including surveillance on weekends and holidays, administered by officers with restricted caseloads. Community control is an individualized program in which the freedom of an offender is restricted within the community, home, or noninstitutional residential placement and specific sanctions are imposed and enforced.
(4) “Community residential drug punishment center” means a residential drug punishment center designated by the Department of Corrections. The Department of Corrections shall adopt rules as necessary to define and operate such a center.......
(5) “Drug offender probation” means a form of intensive supervision that emphasizes treatment of drug offenders in accordance with individualized treatment plans administered by officers with restricted caseloads. Caseloads should be restricted to a maximum of 50 cases per officer in order to ensure an adequate level of staffing......
(8) “Probation” means a form of community supervision requiring specified contacts with parole and probation officers and other terms and conditions as provided in s. 948.03.......
(13) “Sex offender probation” or “sex offender community control” means a form of intensive supervision, with or without electronic monitoring, ...

Whether we look at the DOC list and/or the statutory menu, I just do not see how it is that Casey was successful :curtsey: in complying with probationary supervision so as to exit that system pre-release

Hope that answers the question,
MH :wolf::seeya:
still needing :coffeeup: but sharing an opinion anyway.

During the probation hearing there was a discussion between JP and the DT regarding a certain case (it escapes me which one) and JP was stating that probation is not a sentence.

I was curious on this. The only time a person receives probation is during sentencing, and Casey didn't just wake up one day beginning probation. The probation was terms of a sentence, the other part being time served. How can probation not be considered a sentence?

Apparently there is a County Ordinance for county prisoners that allows for an additional 5 days gain a month in addition to the 5 days monthly statuary gain.
Would not that legally allow for a greater than 15% good time credits off a sentence.

Snipped from the Orange County Corrections memo

"Initial computations indicated, based on a sentence of four (4) one (1) year terms, inmate Anthony was eligible for 240 days of “statutory gain time”, awarded at the rate of 5 days per month for each of the 48 months. In addition, inmate Anthony was eligible for “constructive gain time”, as authorized by County Ordinance due to her Protective Custody status."

Well, the applicable statute (Fla. Stat. 944.275) says it applies to "any type of gain time," but perhaps the Florida courts have determined that "any type" doesn't include county gain time. :banghead:

During the probation hearing there was a discussion between JP and the DT regarding a certain case (it escapes me which one) and JP was stating that probation is not a sentence.

I was curious on this. The only time a person receives probation is during sentencing, and Casey didn't just wake up one day beginning probation. The probation was terms of a sentence, the other part being time served. How can probation not be considered a sentence?

I didn't watch the hearing, but I'm thinking that this sentence is being taken out of context.

I didn't watch the hearing, but I'm thinking that this sentence is being taken out of context.

They're referring to Bradley vs. State (I re-watched the video), where apparently it has been determined that the DOC cannot toll (I think that's the right word) probation if a person is not currently under a sentence.

The discussion became whether or not Casey was actually under a sentence during that year, JP saying that probation is not considered a sentence. Therefore, Casey would not be under the rules that applied to Bradley (which apparently is included in DOC's procedures).

I'm just wondering why probation isn't considered a sentence, that's where you receive probation.

Here's the last part of the probation hearing where it is being brought up.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hGGt2aA0ig"]‪Casey Anthony: Probation Hearing 8/5/11 Part 3‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

They're referring to Bradley vs. State (I re-watched the video), where apparently it has been determined that the DOC cannot toll (I think that's the right word) probation if a person is not currently under a sentence.

The discussion became whether or not Casey was actually under a sentence during that year, JP saying that probation is not considered a sentence. Therefore, Casey would not be under the rules that applied to Bradley (which apparently is included in DOC's procedures).

I'm just wondering why probation isn't considered a sentence, that's where you receive probation.

Here's the last part of the probation hearing where it is being brought up.
‪Casey Anthony: Probation Hearing 8/5/11 Part 3‬‏ - YouTube

Okay, here's what was going on; Here is what the Judge was talking about:

When he said that probation was not a sentence, he was referring to a very technical distinction which is contained in the FL Rules of Criminal procedure.

He mentions "Rule 3.700" when he says that probation isn't a sentence.

Which is---
RULE 3.700. SENTENCE DEFINED; PRONOUNCEMENT AND ENTRY; SENTENCING JUDGE
(a) Sentence Defined. The term sentence means the pronouncement by the court of the penalty imposed on a
defendant for the offense of which the defendant has been adjudged guilty.

:gavel:

In the Casey case, when Judge Strickland sentenced her on the check charges, the probation part of the whole thing came about by the "Withholding of Adjudication" on some of the counts.

Since there was a withholding of adjudication on the counts which generated the probationary term, there was no actual finding of guilty entered on those particular counts.

But, Rule 3.700 says that a "sentence" is whatever penalty is imposed after a defendant is adjudged "guilty."
Judge Perry is saying that since no guilty finding was entered on whatever counts generated the probation, it follows that the probation would not technically be a sentence.

That must be what this whole "Probation isn't a sentence" thing is about.

If it isn't what he's talking about...:whiteflag:. And of course, the rule also talks about split sentences being part jail and part probation. Under that equation, a sentence is broken into 2 pieces. One piece is incarceration. The other piece of the sentence is...yup....."PROBATION.

SOooooo, the sentence which is not a sentence will, if you read far enough, morph back into a sentence.
The End :pullhair:

That's all I got.

sharing an opinion

When a Judge sentences the defendant to "time served"' , can the "time served' exceed the max penalty for the specific offense?

Thank you for explaining that!

My only additional question is that since she pled guilty to some of the charges, was the probation applied to those charges or was her guilty plea just not counted for? I know this is a confusing mess (even JP is having a hard time sorting this whole thing out). Is it like the courts to just error in favor of the person in question instead of erroring in favor of the ordering Judge (JS)/State of FL/representative of the victim?

Okay, here's what was going on; Here is what the Judge was talking about:

When he said that probation was not a sentence, he was referring to a very technical distinction which is contained in the FL Rules of Criminal procedure.

He mentions "Rule 3.700" when he says that probation isn't a sentence.

Which is---
RULE 3.700. SENTENCE DEFINED; PRONOUNCEMENT AND ENTRY; SENTENCING JUDGE
(a) Sentence Defined. The term sentence means the pronouncement by the court of the penalty imposed on a
defendant for the offense of which the defendant has been adjudged guilty.

:gavel:

In the Casey case, when Judge Strickland sentenced her on the check charges, the probation part of the whole thing came about by the "Withholding of Adjudication" on some of the counts.

Since there was a withholding of adjudication on the counts which generated the probationary term, there was no actual finding of guilty entered on those particular counts.

But, Rule 3.700 says that a "sentence" is whatever penalty is imposed after a defendant is adjudged "guilty."
Judge Perry is saying that since no guilty finding was entered on whatever counts generated the probation, it follows that the probation would not technically be a sentence.

That must be what this whole "Probation isn't a sentence" thing is about.

If it isn't what he's talking about...:whiteflag:. And of course, the rule also talks about split sentences being part jail and part probation. Under that equation, a sentence is broken into 2 pieces. One piece is incarceration. The other piece of the sentence is...yup....."PROBATION.

SOooooo, the sentence which is not a sentence will, if you read far enough, morph back into a sentence.
The End :pullhair:

That's all I got.

sharing an opinion

When a Judge sentences the defendant to "time served"' , can the "time served' exceed the max penalty for the specific offense?

No.

Thank you for explaining that!

My only additional question is that since she pled guilty to some of the charges, was the probation applied to those charges or was her guilty plea just not counted for? I know this is a confusing mess (even JP is having a hard time sorting this whole thing out). Is it like the courts to just error in favor of the person in question instead of erroring in favor of the ordering Judge (JS)/State of FL/representative of the victim?

She pled guilty on all the check fraud counts. IIRC the probation was only on the counts for which adjudication was withheld.

The courts try not to err in favor of anyone at all. ;) But out of the people you listed, only the defendant has constitutional liberty rights at issue, so errors in favor of the defendant are less constitutionally problematic.

Whether they appealed or not, IMO any error(s) in the calculation could be corrected. Possible errors: (1) running lying sentence concurrently with the check fraud sentence (but this might have been done on purpose), (2) failing to limit "good time" credits to 15% of total sentence for lying.

GAIN TIME/GOOD TIME:

And that leads me to the question I have been trying to answer for myself; and I am just not coming up with anything I can sell (to myself).:noooo:

Maybe one of the other lawyers can answer this for me.:help:
Maybe it is soooo simple that I am missing something. :whoosh:

My issue is with the "gain time" I keep hearing about.
Now I call it "good time" but who cares. (It's like a tomato/tomahhhto thing).

We have 2 separate statutory areas which delineate 'good time.":read:

As you can see, one is for county good time and one is for state DOC good time:

The County One:

951.21 Gain-time for good conduct for county prisoners.—
(1) Commutation of time for good conduct of county prisoners shall be granted by the board of county commissioners unless, by a majority vote of the board of county commissioners, the board elects to discontinue or revise gain-time policies for good conduct. If the board of commissioners authorizes commutation of time for good conduct, the following deductions shall be made from the term of sentence when no charge of misconduct has been sustained against a county prisoner: up to 5 days per month off the first and second years of the sentence; up to 10 days per month off the third and fourth years of the sentence; up to 15 days per month off the fifth and all succeeding years of the sentence. Where no charge of misconduct is sustained against a county prisoner, the deduction shall be deemed earned and the prisoner shall be entitled to credit for a month as soon as the prisoner has served such time as, when added to the deduction allowable, will equal a month. A county prisoner under two or more cumulative.......

And there is the State One:
STATE CORRECTIONAL SYSTEM .......

944.275 Gain-time.—
(1) The department is authorized to grant deductions from sentences in the form of gain-time in order to encourage satisfactory prisoner behavior, to provide incentive for prisoners to participate in productive activities, and to reward prisoners who perform outstanding deeds or services.
(2)(a) The department shall establish for each prisoner sentenced to a term of years a “maximum sentence expiration date,” which shall be the date when the sentence or combined sentences imposed on a prisoner will expire. In establishing this date, the department shall reduce the total time to be served by any time lawfully credited. all be allowed commutation as if they were all one sentence.

It seems to me that no matter which statute one uses to calculate how much good time should come off a sentence, there is a presumption that the sentence is being served by the prisoner. It seems to be implicit that there is a future date when the sentence will end. The sentence is being served; the prisoner is doing actual time.
And then, with a release date in hand, some mathematician, adds up the good time and subtracts it from the sentence so as to move that release date backward in time.:bananapowerslide:

You know there's a but coming: :behind:

So, I have always understood 'good time" to be available only during a period when a sentence is being served.i.e. the prisoner is behind bars only because sentence has been handed down and is being served.

BUT that was not the case with Casey.

Casey was held on bail; She was not serving a sentence since the sentence was imposed and finished, wrapped on the date of the sentencing back in check fraud days.

When she was sentenced for the checks, the day of the sentencing, it was over and done, finis. She did not go back to jail to serve the sentence.

She went back to jail because she was held on bail for the murder charges which were pending.

Until the date of the sentencing for the lying charges, she was not serving a sentence so as to rack up the good time. Same deal as before the sentencing for the fraud/check stuff.

Both times she was held on bail. The point of good time is, and has always been to encourage prisoners to behave a certain way and also to participate in activities, programs, and so forth.

So if one of the other lawyers could explain to me how the "heck" the whole issue of good time/gain time even comes into play........when someone is held on bail and NOT doing a sentence????????

I would be eternally grateful.

In the event that there is no sound argument based in the law, I would accept a whacko arguably plausible theory but I cannot even come up with that.:banghead:

I apologize for the length of this post but it would make even less sense without the statutes cited. I am hoping that somewhere in my question, I have answered other questions:praying:

MH
sharing a question and some opinions:wolf:

I should probably add that in 2001, the Florida Atty General's Office issued an advisory opinion which indicated a capping of the good time that's authorized by statute 951 dealing w/ county prisoners.
Interestingly, this opinion mentions that the whole concept of "good time/gain time" applies to the realm of the sentenced prisoner. As has always been my personal understanding, it does not apply to the pre-trial detainee AKA Casey-held-on-bail.

If anyone wants to have a peek at that AG's opinion RE: good time, here is the link:
http://myfloridalegal.com/ago.nsf/Opinions/F6809BB25420DCAB85256A0200674148

Seasoned criminals who know the system and how to work it will clamor to be sentenced. They figure if they are going to do time anyway, they might as well start accumulating good time. They want to get into the various programs available behind bars--those programs which get good time points. But they are well aware that when they are held on bail, while they might get credit for those days held on bail (on a one day ='s one day) basis, they aren't getting good time and they cannot qualify for the "good-time-programs" till they are sentenced. That's all.:seeya:

GAIN TIME/GOOD TIME:

And that leads me to the question I have been trying to answer for myself; and I am just not coming up with anything I can sell (to myself).:noooo:

The County One:

(1) Commutation of time for good conduct of county prisoners shall be granted by the board of county commissioners unless, by a majority vote of the board of county commissioners, the board elects to discontinue or revise gain-time policies for good conduct. If the board of commissioners authorizes commutation of time for good conduct, the following deductions shall be made from the term of sentence when no charge of misconduct has been sustained against a county prisoner: up to 5 days per month off the first and second years of the sentence; up to 10 days per month off the third and fourth years of the sentence; up to 15 days per month off the fifth and all succeeding years of the sentence. Where no charge of misconduct is sustained against a county prisoner, the deduction shall be deemed earned and the prisoner shall be entitled to credit for a month as soon as the prisoner has served such time as, when added to the deduction allowable, will equal a month. A county prisoner under two or more cumulative.......

944.275 Gain-time.—
(1) The department is authorized to grant deductions from sentences in the form of gain-time in order to encourage satisfactory prisoner behavior, to provide incentive for prisoners to participate in productive activities, and to reward prisoners who perform outstanding deeds or services.
(2)(a) The department shall establish for each prisoner sentenced to a term of years a “maximum sentence expiration date,” which shall be the date when the sentence or combined sentences imposed on a prisoner will expire. In establishing this date, the department shall reduce the total time to be served by any time lawfully credited. all be allowed commutation as if they were all one sentence.

It seems to me that no matter which statute one uses to calculate how much good time should come off a sentence, there is a presumption that the sentence is being served by the prisoner. It seems to be implicit that there is a future date when the sentence will end. The sentence is being served; the prisoner is doing actual time.
And then, with a release date in hand, some mathematician, adds up the good time and subtracts it from the sentence so as to move that release date backward in time.:bananapowerslide:

So, I have always understood 'good time" to be available only during a period when a sentence is being served.i.e. the prisoner is behind bars only because sentence has been handed down and is being served.

Casey was held on bail; She was not serving a sentence since the sentence was imposed and finished, wrapped on the date of the sentencing back in check fraud days.

When she was sentenced for the checks, the day of the sentencing, it was over and done, finis. She did not go back to jail to serve the sentence.

She went back to jail because she was held on bail for the murder charges which were pending.

Until the date of the sentencing for the lying charges, she was not serving a sentence so as to rack up the good time. Same deal as before the sentencing for the fraud/check stuff.

Both times she was held on bail. The point of good time is, and has always been to encourage prisoners to behave a certain way and also to participate in activities, programs, and so forth.

So if one of the other lawyers could explain to me how the "heck" the whole issue of good time/gain time even comes into play........when someone is held on bail and NOT doing a sentence????????

In the event that there is no sound argument based in the law, I would accept a whacko arguably plausible theory but I cannot even come up with that.:banghead:

I apologize for the length of this post but it would make even less sense without the statutes cited. I am hoping that somewhere in my question, I have answered other questions:praying:

MH

I should probably add that in 2001, the Florida Atty General's Office issued an advisory opinion which indicated a capping of the good time that's authorized by statute 951 dealing w/ county prisoners.
Interestingly, this opinion mentions that the whole concept of "good time/gain time" applies to the realm of the sentenced prisoner. As has always been my personal understanding, it does not apply to the pre-trial detainee AKA Casey-held-on-bail.

If anyone wants to have a peek at that AG's opinion RE: good time, here is the link:

Seasoned criminals who know the system and how to work it will clamor to be sentenced. They figure if they are going to do time anyway, they might as well start accumulating good time. They want to get into the various programs available behind bars--those programs which get good time points. But they are well aware that when they are held on bail, while they might get credit for those days held on bail (on a one day ='s one day) basis, they aren't getting good time and they cannot qualify for the "good-time-programs" till they are sentenced. That's all.:seeya:

Well, I can't answer your question ;) but here's an AG opinion that sort of, I think, maybe, answers the "85% rule" question. It appears that if a sentence is completely of the "time served" variety, then the 85% rule never kicks in.

http://myfloridalegal.com/__85256236006EB5E1.nsf/0/68C5E4F39AD07678852562C1004E30C0?Open&Highlight=0,gain,time

ET
GAIN TIME/GOOD TIME:

The County One:

944.275 Gain-time.—

<snipped for space>

Wow, do I love this post!! Thank you a million times over for saying so clearly what I have been unable to put into words.

I remember when the Croslin/Cummings group was sentenced on their drug trafficking convictions. They got credit for time served while they were awaiting sentencing. They got one day credit for each day they served reducing their sentences by that number of days. However, they did not get any credit for good behavior or gain time. They are all earning good time now in prison but while they sat in County Jail they earned no good/gain time at all as they were only incarcerated to await sentencing and not actually serving time.

Casey, however, was credited with good time and gain time both and it was applied to each and every day she spent in jail whether she was actually serving a sentence or just sitting awaiting trial.

So maybe I have been correct in my thinking that the calculations from the OC that were given to Judge Perry were in fact incorrect. She was given time off for good behavior and gain time BOTH for days that she was not actually serving time.

If this is correct, is there any recourse now to fix that error? I know that once credit is given for time served it is a sticky situation to go back and revisit that even if an error occurred. However, if Casey was given too much good/gain time, is there any law in Florida that would prevent the judge from redoing the calculations now to remove the good/gain time that Casey was given erroneously?

I actually care less about the probation issue than I do about this. Casey should be given time credited as allowed by law--no more and no less. I do not expect anything to happen on this given how Casey always manages to luck out no matter what the situation, but is there in fact legal recourse for the judge to retrace his steps and fix this calculation error?

ETA: To summarize, Casey had a total of 1043 days. Of that, only 412 days was actually serving a sentence. The rest was 365 days of probation (so they say) and awaiting trial. But she was granted good time earned for all 1043 days. And...she got it at a rate of 30%!

GAIN TIME/GOOD TIME:

The County One:

951.21&#8195;Gain-time for good conduct for county prisoners.&#8212;
(1)&#8195;Commutation of time for good conduct of county prisoners shall be granted by the board of county commissioners unless, by a majority vote of the board of county commissioners, the board elects to discontinue or revise gain-time policies for good conduct. If the board of commissioners authorizes commutation of time for good conduct, the following deductions shall be made from the term of sentence when no charge of misconduct has been sustained against a county prisoner: up to 5 days per month off the first and second years of the sentence; up to 10 days per month off the third and fourth years of the sentence; up to 15 days per month off the fifth and all succeeding years of the sentence. Where no charge of misconduct is sustained against a county prisoner, the deduction shall be deemed earned and the prisoner shall be entitled to credit for a month as soon as the prisoner has served such time as, when added to the deduction allowable, will equal a month. A county prisoner under two or more cumulative.......

And there is the State One:STATE CORRECTIONAL SYSTEM .......

944.275&#8195;Gain-time.&#8212;
(1)&#8195;The department is authorized to grant deductions from sentences in the form of gain-time in order to encourage satisfactory prisoner behavior, to provide incentive for prisoners to participate in productive activities, and to reward prisoners who perform outstanding deeds or services.
(2)(a)&#8195;The department shall establish for each prisoner sentenced to a term of years a &#8220;maximum sentence expiration date,&#8221; which shall be the date when the sentence or combined sentences imposed on a prisoner will expire. In establishing this date, the department shall reduce the total time to be served by any time lawfully credited. all be allowed commutation as if they were all one sentence.

MH

Here is something for the lawyers to mull over and throw into the mix. Hope this helps MH. If it doesn't and is not applicable, please alert and I will remove.
&#9632; Positive incentives. Sentenced in-
mates in Florida earn 5 days of gain
time (reduction in sentence) every
month if they follow the rules, and
pretrial inmates have 5 days a month
credited to any jail sentence they are
given if convicted. However, inmates
in program facilities earn an additional
6 days of gain time every month, for a
total of 11 days. While inmates can also
earn the additional 6 days as trusties in
the main facility, many find the work
boring

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles/166820.pdf

I have read and digested both AZlawyer and MiraclesHappen posts on gain/good time.
Some things are still open to interpretation. One thing though that I understood quite clear is that County gain time can not legally apply to an already time served deal/completed sentence from an entirely different trial.
In other words , even though the lying sentence was deliberately run concurrent with the fraud sentence (in JP's wisdom), how on earth can County gain time have been earned during all of the 1043 days instead of county gain time for only 1043days minus 412 days.

I tried to mimic the calculation as follows(and came darn close), using input from the memo released by OCC.

http://www.wesh.com/casey-anthony-extended-coverage/28523075/detail.html

1460d-240d-1043d-170d=7 days left to serve

Legend:

1460d= 4 years lying sentence 4x365=1460days

240d= Statuary gain time , a constant, at 5 days a month, 48months x 5=240days

1043d= Court awarded time served towards the 4 year sentence

170d= constructive gain time for protective custody at 5 days a month, in blocks of 30 days, no partial month. 1043d become 1020 days(34x30d) 34x 5=170 days

Here is something for the lawyers to mull over and throw into the mix. Hope this helps MH. If it doesn't and is not applicable, please alert and I will remove.
&#9632; Positive incentives. Sentenced in-
mates in Florida earn 5 days of gain
time (reduction in sentence) every
month if they follow the rules, and
pretrial inmates have 5 days a month
credited to any jail sentence they are
given if convicted. However, inmates
in program facilities earn an additional
6 days of gain time every month, for a
total of 11 days. While inmates can also
earn the additional 6 days as trusties in
the main facility, many find the work
boring

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles/166820.pdf

Nope, that might as well go into the mix. :balloons:
I wish they had given us a statute, or some sort of "legislative something or other" to authorize that award of good time to the pre-trial detainees.
Ya know, because it doesn't seems to jive with the statutes on the same topic.
But, noooooooooooo....too much of us to ask.:sigh:
That said,
Even if these special programs resulted in the awarding of 32 days of good time a month, to be subtracted from any future sentence, (not that I'm frustrated with sentencing calculations):headache:....
Wouldn't the inmate/pre-trial detainee have to be enrolled in the programs to get the good time attached to them?
So that leads back to the original question...because the inmate in question in fact was not enrolled in anything but protective custody in the main facility. At least that's my understanding of it.

MH:wolf:
sharing an opinion:seeya:

Nope, that might as well go into the mix. :balloons:
I wish they had given us a statute, or some sort of "legislative something or other" to authorize that award of good time to the pre-trial detainees.
Ya know, because it doesn't seems to jive with the statutes on the same topic.
But, noooooooooooo....too much of us to ask.:sigh:
That said,
Even if these special programs resulted in the awarding of 32 days of good time a month, to be subtracted from any future sentence, (not that I'm frustrated with sentencing calculations):headache:....
Wouldn't the inmate/pre-trial detainee have to be enrolled in the programs to get the good time attached to them?
So that leads back to the original question...because the inmate in question in fact was not enrolled in anything but protective custody in the main facility. At least that's my understanding of it.

MH:wolf:
sharing an opinion:seeya:
I am out of bounds here so will post this final thought for lawyer consideration. Perhaps we need to consider what the statutes consider the definition of a prisoner to be and that is why we are having trouble finding specific authority as it pertains to pretrial inmates:

IOW< if the pretrial inmates qualify as prisoners then then the statutes would apply to them as written.

(6)&#8195;&#8220;Prisoner&#8221; means any person who is under civil or criminal arrest and in the lawful custody of any law enforcement official, or any person committed to or detained in any municipal or county jail or state prison, prison farm, or penitentiary, or to the custody of the department pursuant to lawful authority.

ttp://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0900-0999/0944/0944.html

maybe this has been asked before. if so direct me to the post:

why was casey given time off for good behavior even though she passed those notes? i would assume it's because good behavior is defined in a particular way.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CouchdetectiveC
Back