Leslie Van Houten up for parole again

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

UPDATED: June 9, 2023 at 10:29 a.m.

[...]

The bottom line here is that the two judges wanting to set this killer free may believe she deserves mercy despite showing none to her victim. They may even be correct that she meets the letter of parole law.

But they ignore the real danger here, which is the likelihood that others would seek equally lasting notoriety by attempting similar crimes if exposed to details of what Van Houten did. That probability, several governors have realized, far outweighs any public interest in seeing her freed.

UPDATED: June 9, 2023 at 10:29 a.m.

[...]

The bottom line here is that the two judges wanting to set this killer free may believe she deserves mercy despite showing none to her victim. They may even be correct that she meets the letter of parole law.

But they ignore the real danger here, which is the likelihood that others would seek equally lasting notoriety by attempting similar crimes if exposed to details of what Van Houten did. That probability, several governors have realized, far outweighs any public interest in seeing her freed.

I think the cat has been out of the bag for a a pretty long while on the details of what LVH did.
I still think there is, in all prison sentences, a punishment aspect. Rehabilitated…fine. All boxes checked for parole…fine. Achieving those things do not negate how cold and apathetic and gleeful she was while participating in these horrific crimes.
She allowed herself to be manipulated by a strong personality to do these brutal murders. I know she was young but how do we know that’s not an innate character flaw and it will happen again.
It’s OK to punish her by leaving her in jail.

Leslie Van Houten, follower of cult leader Charles Manson, is one big step closer to freedom

Updated: Jul 7, 2023 / 09:28 PM EDT

LOS ANGELES (AP) — California’s governor announced Friday that he won’t ask the state Supreme Court to block parole for Charles Manson follower Leslie Van Houten, paving the way for her release after serving 53 years in prison for two infamous murders.

In a brief statement, the governor’s office said an appeal was unlikely to succeed.

Newsom is disappointed, the statement said.

Leslie Van Houten, follower of cult leader Charles Manson, is one big step closer to freedom

LOS ANGELES (AP) — California’s governor announced Friday that he won’t ask the state Supreme Court to block parole for Charles Manson follower Leslie Van Houten, paving the way for her release after serving 53 years in prison for two infamous murders.

In a brief statement, the governor’s office said an appeal was unlikely to succeed.

CNN headline should read "murderer" instead of "cult follower". IMO. She should not get parole. IMO.

I’m anti violent crime and I’ve long thought that considering her age and the cult like situation, that LVH makes a good parole candidate. And too I think that the attention this case has gotten is another reason that her parole has been shot down as others have been paroled.

I’m anti violent crime and I’ve long thought that considering her age and the cult like situation, that LVH makes a good parole candidate. And too I think that the attention this case has gotten is another reason that her parole has been shot down as others have been paroled.
I don't disagree with you overall. BUT.......we have all been that age and have not carved into people's bodies. She knew right from wrong back then. IMO, again. I don't think any of them should be paroled.

It was not a robbery, not sexually motivated, it was unheard of and terrifying. That a man could just point at a house and have people eagerly kill others at his command is still terrifying.
I think this case is so different than any other case it should be looked at differently from a parole perspective.
Also the attention of the case was exactly what Manson wanted, hoping to ignite a race war so he could eventually rule the world. That is bonkers. Manson was dangerously crazy, but I don’t care how young and how drugged up his minions were, they, including LVH, happily went along with it. Others just as messed up did not.
Maybe she has, but I have never heard LVH say one word that made me think she was sorry, not one word about the victims, not one word about why she so joyfully went along to kill people. It is very concerning to me that she could so easily be manipulated to do something so heinous. I fear it is less her drugged out youth, and more a character flaw, something that she would retain to this day.

It was not a robbery, not sexually motivated, it was unheard of and terrifying. That a man could just point at a house and have people eagerly kill others at his command is still terrifying.
I think this case is so different than any other case it should be looked at differently from a parole perspective.
Also the attention of the case was exactly what Manson wanted, hoping to ignite a race war so he could eventually rule the world. That is bonkers. Manson was dangerously crazy, but I don’t care how young and how drugged up his minions were, they, including LVH, happily went along with it. Others just as messed up did not.
Maybe she has, but I have never heard LVH say one word that made me think she was sorry, not one word about the victims, not one word about why she so joyfully went along to kill people. It is very concerning to me that she could so easily be manipulated to do something so heinous. I fear it is less her drugged out youth, and more a character flaw, something that she would retain to this day.
Much better expressed than my one measly sentence. Let me hop on your post. No parole for any of them EVER. Let them live with their decisions and actions.

I heard someone in the Academia once define such crimes or similar as a "contradictory use of force" or "motivated by a state of mind" at the moment.

You may wonder how people can see criminals in this way while their victims are treated like nothing.

They never say anything about the "state of mind" of the victim's family that will last a whole life.

I agree with you. It is her notoriety that kept her in prison all this time. <modsnip - political commentary> I too think she is a good candidate for parole. She will have to learn how to live in a new world, completely foreign to her, for whatever time she has left on earth. She will one day have to meet her maker, and he will decide if her sins should be forgiven or not.

imo… of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will never support freeing a cold bloodied murderer. The way I see it, this horrendous crime should have resulted in a sentence of death. She and Manson would have been executed by now. I really don't care how wonderful she was in prison, it's not as if she had a choice in prison. Think bad of me if you want, but some crimes totally deserve death. JMO

I think the cat has been out of the bag for a a pretty long while on the details of what LVH did.
I still think there is, in all prison sentences, a punishment aspect. Rehabilitated…fine. All boxes checked for parole…fine. Achieving those things do not negate how cold and apathetic and gleeful she was while participating in these horrific crimes.
She allowed herself to be manipulated by a strong personality to do these brutal murders. I know she was young but how do we know that’s not an innate character flaw and it will happen again.
It’s OK to punish her by leaving her in jail.
How do we know if she would, because of her notariaty have her own cult, as we all know there are plenty of crazys out there who would seek her out. JMO

JMO, but Newsom is just politically playing both sides of the fence here.

Here is the transcript of the California court ruling reversing the Governor’s decision to reverse the parole board‘s decision to parole LVH. Whew! That’s a bit convoluted!
It was very enlightening to me. It probably brings my resistance to her being paroled from a 10 down to a an 8.
So many questions still about everything. I’m not sure she answers everything satisfactorily. Has she done well in prison simply because of the structure? I don’t know. I don’t think she knows.
The issue they seem to talk about is that she has worked so hard to do everything right to win her parole. I can’t help thinking about the victims‘ families, they will never be paroled from the prison they are in everyday. A prison LVH helped put them in.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cattdee
Back