London Ontario - Tori Stafford murder trial begins jury selection

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know there would be twitter feeds set up for the trial.

AM980.ca ‏ @AM980_Court

No court Friday. The case will begin Monday with the Crown's opening statement, followed by first witness. AM980 will tweet live from court.

Reporters can use devices such as laptops or smartphones but won't be allowed to transmit from the courtroom.

However, a satellite courtroom will be set up for the trial, from which reporters will be allowed to electronically transmit information.

http://swo.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20120227/rafferty-jury-20120227/20120227/?hub=SWOHome

I'm wondering how many reporters will want to be in the actual courtroom in person and how many will choose the satellite room, from which they'll be allowed to instantly submit their stories. Guessing most for the latter, as getting "the scoop" to their editors would be their main priority.

It's going to be a three-ring circus next week. I've shelved my plans to attend even one day, as I'm pretty sure it's going to be ridiculously difficult to get in.

JMO

I don't think this info is from the same day. JMO

No it is not the correct article Matou. I did post a link, along with a copy and paste it in my post. Thank you for clarifying that for me.

Matou MR drank tea not coffee. :what: OMG! So this leads me to believe the stop at Timmies for TEA very well could have been for MR. It could be TLM drank tea also but this is just too coincidental kwim?!! Wow let us pray the Crown has a video from the Timmies which was visited. BTW it looks to me like the Timmies in your first google maps, with the HD in the background, looks like there is a vehicle to the left and close up to the building as if it's a drive thru.

You may have to zoom in to read under interests where MR included on his POF site: Tea not coffee. Bingo!:rocker::woohoo::great:

Found in Media Links No Discussion, post #8. Thank you Scotslass for posting this JMHO, key piece of information and thank you Matou for finding that recent link stating they went to HD and Timmies. :blowkiss::great:

http://i39.tinypic.com/2a80sna.jpg

That is so interesting, when I first read the article about stopping at Timmies for tea i was thinking that just sounds weird. Tea? But now it makes sense.
Reading his POF profile should make anyone leery of online dating. Just look at the lies!! From that you might actually think he was a nice guy, dance instructor, own contracting business, no drugs, graduate degree, likes chic flicks....:waitasec:

raffertyillo.jpg

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/0...rty-pleads-not-guilty-at-tori-stafford-trial/

He looks fat according to the sketch artist's rendition also. He must be eating alright in prison, that or lack of exercise, maybe both. I would imagine he's in segregation with very little to do but eat and sleep. Wonder if Canada is like the US where they have an account to spend money on extras such as snacks, food, shampoo, those little luxuries. Wonder who puts the money into that account, if he does have one? Notice how this artist included a security person in the sketch standing right by the prisoner dock.

He looks fat according to the sketch artist's rendition also. He must be eating alright in prison, that or lack of exercise, maybe both. I would imagine he's in segregation with very little to do but eat and sleep. Wonder if Canada is like the US where they have an account to spend money on extras such as snacks, food, shampoo, those little luxuries. Wonder who puts the money into that account, if he does have one? Notice how this artist included a security person in the sketch standing right by the prisoner dock.

They most certainly do have that here too Swedie. Friends and family can deposit money. Apparently strangers will even send money to inmates.

Going north on highway 6, there is a TH with a drive thru in Fergus, there is also one at the corner of Hwy 6 and 9 in Arthur, also with a drive thru. Both of these locations are on route towards Mt.Forest.

With this Timmies news being new to us, I am guessing that TLM did not mention this. This leads me to believe that the car was caught on video. I wonder how many more videos picked up this car.

Am I reading that article wrong?

The 21-year-old, who admitted to being high on Oxycontin, told the court she took the girl to the rural area, but not before making two stops: one at a Home Depot for a hammer and garbage bags and the other, at a Tim Hortons for tea.

This says to me that TLM did make the statement.

Just as a point to consider, everyone in my office, other than myself, prefers tea to coffee. In my experience, people will usually mention the drink that they themselves purchased, rather than the drink that their friend purchased. JMO

``It is essential, as I have said over and over, that jurors keep an open mind,'' Heeney reminded the jurors.

``That means not deciding anything, not coming to conclusions until after all the evidence has been heard . . . An absolute open mind is what is required of you at all times throughout this case.''

Outside the courthouse, Rafferty's lawyer told reporters he had confidence in the chosen jurors.

``The allegations in this case are horrible. It is very important that people keep an open mind and everybody not have a rush to judgment,'' he said.

``The evidence that will come on in this particular case is the evidence on which it should be formed. Many people can form various scenarios in their mind of what may have happened or what could have happened. What is important is that they listen to what actually happened in the courtroom.''

http://www.canada.com/Jury+picked+sensational+case+Tori+Stafford+kidnap+murder/6236662/story.html

Heeney offered jurors the traditional warnings from the court: to avoid discussing the case with anyone besides fellow jury members and only then in the jury room; to avoid any media reports about the case and to avoid doing their own investigating.

"Everything you need to know about this case will be brought to you in this courtroom," Heeney said.

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/raffertytrial/2012/03/01/19446781.html

I wonder what the rational was behind picking so many women.

My looseleaf opinion on so many women being chosen, is that the defense is looking to lay the blame on Tori's Mother and TLM, and some scheme they cooked up, and they will try to paint TM as a bad Mom, and will hope that the females, who may themselves be mothers, will go for that theory. This is just one possible reason.

The occupations of the jurors seem quite good, for a random panel, so, that is a good thing, IMO.

I am really hoping that justice is served in this case. It seems to me, from what has been released, that it has been off to a good and fair start. There have been lots of warnings, precautions etc. Everyone wants it done right the 1st time.

I don't think this info is from the same day. JMO

Yes, you are correct. The purple tie was worn on Monday and the blue one on Wednesday. My mistake. But at least we can now all rest assured that MTR owns more than one tie and that the colour is not some kind of defence conspiracy. ;)

"The allegations in this case are horrible," Rafferty's lawyer Dirk Derstine said outside court. "It's very important that everybody keep an open mind and everybody not have a rush to judgment."

The Crown is set to open its case in London, Ont., on Monday with an opening statement and first witness.

Jury selection nearly wasn't completed this week, as the second alternate was chosen with only three people remaining in the pool. If the last alternate could not be selected from the last few people, the judge and lawyers would have had to look to start with a new jury panel on Monday.

A pre-trial motion was heard before jury selection dealing with where Rafferty would sit during the trial. Accused people are sometimes allowed to sit at the counsel table with their lawyers instead of the dock, which is traditionally where they sit.

The court decided that due to evidence from an officer in charge of court security that "the nature and history of this case requires a high level of security," and other factors, Rafferty would sit in the dock.

"The allegations in this case are horrible," Rafferty's lawyer Dirk Derstine said. I bet the evidence is also. JMHO. Hopefully family, friends and reports take precedent in seating before the general public.

http://www.oldsalbertan.ca/article/...trial-evidence-to-start-monday&template=cpArt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
workerbma