Lost Girls: An Unsolved American Mystery by Robert Kolker

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Without knowing the facts, I'd speculate that as a typical teen, she'd let him know he wasn't her father, couldn't tell her what to do etc., maybe even let him know he was an a-hole on a regular basis. The disturbing part is that whether it was an ultimatum given to her, or a choice she made on her own, MG chose to keep her personal relationship with a man she knew over working to fix her relationship with her daughter. When that is combined with attention seeking on MG's part that irked even other KNOWN victims families, and an in my opinion frivolous lawsuit aimed at getting money, or the attention to garner donations, it raises serious questions in my mind regarding MG's motivation. The question being, did she lose her loving daughter tragically, years after giving her away, because of a potential payday, or is this really about justice for a daughter she believes was murdered? I personally don't have an opinion either way, but because money motivates a lot of odd behavior, I do have this question in my head.

I don't think it's fair to blame a child for abusive or neglectful family dynamics. Not even a teenager. The adult is the one responsible. The person most likely to abuse a child is an unrelated adult male living in the same home --i.e., a stepfather or the equivalent. Kolker's book also makes clear that this same man physically abused Shannan's sisters.

I don't think it's fair to blame a child for abusive or neglectful family dynamics. Not even a teenager. The adult is the one responsible. The person most likely to abuse a child is an unrelated adult male living in the same home --i.e., a stepfather or the equivalent. Kolker's book also makes clear that this same man physically abused Shannan's sisters.

Aleph, I'm sorry if my post wasn't clear. I don't blame SG, I say her mom made a bad choice in my opinion.

Oops. Apologies on my end, too. I misread your intention.

I enjoyed the book and I'm grateful that it exists. Unless something else happens, this book may be the last signal boost that the LISK case will receive. But I worry that the book will bring more criticism to the victims' families and, ultimately, more pain.

He should have been asked to leave the first time he put his hands on any of the girls.

To those who have read the book:

Is there anything about/realted to the Atlantic City case? The murder of the 4 woman; Kim Raffo Barbara Breidor, Molly Dilts, and Tracy Roberts ?
I ask due to that there was info in April 2011 that LE suspected that murderer of the GB4and the AC4 could be the same killer, and the fact that Kim Raffo and her x-husband visited Long Island for ca 5 weeks in the months prior to the womans murder.
And both Kim Raffo and her x-husband have family and friend connection on Long island.

Is there anything about/realted to the Atlantic City case? The murder of the 4 woman; Kim Raffo Barbara Breidor, Molly Dilts, and Tracy Roberts ?
I ask due to that there was info in April 2011 that LE suspected that murderer of the GB4and the AC4 could be the same killer, and the fact that Kim Raffo and her x-husband visited Long Island for ca 5 weeks in the months prior to the womans murder.
And both Kim Raffo and her x-husband have family and friend connection on Long island.

It just mentions that LE might think that LISK had something to do with AC.

No downloading. I don't like a track record of what I read. If someone got hold of that, I'd probably be taken in for questioning. =).

If I see it local, I'll pay cash. Thanks!

You could write the author and ask him what he thinks of that:

http://robertkolker.com/

I wrote him about something, and he got back almost immediately.

On July 20th 48 hours will air another show on the Long Island Serial Killer. It will also talk about the book that was released

Word on the street is that they will also be appearing in a show about the LISK and their take on the whole situation. Along with a few others here from ws.

What show would that be? And when?

Makes ya think what other nut bars are just reading the comments and not posting.

Makes ya think what other nut bars are just reading the comments and not posting.

Exactly; the pool of nut bars here is too small, we need the rest of them to speak up once in a while too.

Actually, I'm wondering who, from here, might be slated to appear in a show about LISK. Of all the posters I've read here, I can think of maybe two or three who might say something of interest to a general TV audience. Two or three might be stretching it. I hope the show's intention isn't to say "look at these freaky internet types who have no lives and obsess over something that has nothing to do with them".

i read the book. there are alot of untruths. and all of the events at oak beach are from the view point of js jr. -aka flukeyou. in other words a load of manure. some of the events regarding the searches are also out of sequence.
and laura colletti has never had a knee replacement. aside from that i found it a very intereating read. it really makes you feel for the victims. i couldn't put it down.

Exactly; the pool of nut bars here is too small, we need the rest of them to speak up once in a while too.

Actually, I'm wondering who, from here, might be slated to appear in a show about LISK. Of all the posters I've read here, I can think of maybe two or three who might say something of interest to a general TV audience. Two or three might be stretching it. I hope the show's intention isn't to say "look at these freaky internet types who have no lives and obsess over something that has nothing to do with them".

PDUST - you can think of only 2 or 3. After you include yourself that leaves only 1 or 2 at best. I just wanted you to know without offending others that I put you in that ring of 3.

Didn't TS hint (imply? or plainly state?) that 48 Hours interviewed some locals the last time they were there?? I got the impression they filmed things/obtained statements that weren't included in their last LISK episode. I remember some kind of chatter along these lines but of course, I could be wrong.

I agree with the poster above who "couldn't put it down" in spite of a few factual errors. The author did a great job noting details and presenting different points of view and it definitely got my wheels turning again.

The level of information the book contained about the families kinda bothered me though, while some was totally relevant, I felt like a lot of that was none of my business.

Overall though, I would strongly recommend this book to fellow case followers and justice seekers and I hope interest is renewed.

Didn't TS hint (imply? or plainly state?) that 48 Hours interviewed some locals the last time they were there?? I got the impression they filmed things/obtained statements that weren't included in their last LISK episode. I remember some kind of chatter along these lines but of course, I could be wrong.

I remember something like that, too.

PDUST - you can think of only 2 or 3. After you include yourself that leaves only 1 or 2 at best. I just wanted you to know without offending others that I put you in that ring of 3.

What about me hawk?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper