Lost Girls: An Unsolved American Mystery by Robert Kolker

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If you think a book that exploits the desperation of the families of the victims is a must read, you will enjoy this book. These families were approached early on by this author, while they were still numb from learning of the deaths of their loved ones. A couple of them backed out qickly and I can't help but notice they are not spoken well of in the book. I find that tells a lot about this author. Bob seems to care more about making a buck of these tragedies than finding justice for these girls. It's too bad these heartbroken families fell victim to a fast talking man looking to make a buck
The rest of it is based on accounts by people with agendas and tall tales to tell and no facts or actual evidence relevent to the case. Rumors and heresay only. Callng this non-fiction is a bit of a stretch

I see your point. Since I don't know the families or the author or their relationship with each other, I'll have to take your word for it. I guess in retrospect, it did dwell a bit on the strained interpersonal relationships between the families of the victims.

What I liked, though, is that the book told the stories of these women and made them memorable. In most books detailing crimes like these, the killer gets the spotlight and is almost glamorized, while the victims are often inadvertently treated as forgettable. Here, we get to know these women and their lives a bit, which drives home the tragedy of their murder. Meanwhile the killer, largely because we don't know who he is, takes a back seat.

I think the killer's family background would be more relevant to the case than the girls. What happened to him or was he just born a socio/psychopath? I saw an interview with Megan's Mom and she spoke of her addiction and shortcomings as a parent. No parent is perfect and the person who should be blamed for these deaths is the killer himself.
I think the GB4 are related to earlier cases on Long Island. I believe there was critical information posted on Craigslist going back to 2009 and I hope the police and/or FBI were able to review those posts.

Flat out disagree..this book is reminiscent of Anne Rules GreenRiver book...it is very much about the victim's and their families...it does a service to humanize prostitutes and their families ... How can you understand a trajectory if you don't study the whole picture...as far as parents are concerned...so what? I did nt find it biased in any way. Kolker was carefull to be fair.

Sadly there are some people who are just misguided, and some family members may have made some mistakes in their behavior due to the media attention of the case...

I didn't feel the author was at all judge mental...just telling a story.

The Kolker book is sympathetic to Hackett, but the recent 48 Hours episode included new footage in which Hackett came across very poorly. At best, bumbling. At worst, extremely suspicious.
[ame="http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50151326n"]Long Island Serial Killer - 48 Hours - CBS News[/ame] (48 Hours Show)

In this report, Dr. Hackett made a call to Shannon Gilbert's mother. There's record of this. The sister of other GB victim, Melissa Barthelemy, received taunting phone calls from a man. Question:
Does anyone know if the voice in these 2 phone call instances have been compared?

I can´t find anything called Arronas in NY, could you please help me out on that?

It was a typo. Sorry. Try " vipul aaronasny " in images. Can't name him outright, so this is the most help I can offer. Initials are VK. Port wine birthmark on face.

It was a typo. Sorry. Try " vipul aaronasny " in images. Can't name him outright, so this is the most help I can offer. Initials are VK. Port wine birthmark on face.

This guys myspace lists Al G. of Talent Productions in his top 8 friends. I think there was a model scout Al mentioned in Lost Girls.Who Maureen worked for.

I have not read the entire book but IMO to put rose-colored glasses on the issue of how women become illegal prostitutes is exactly the wrong thing to do. The industry is laced with deception and lies...it's basis is often set in fantasy to begin with.

It only benefits the criminals to deny the facts. If investigators and the general public are not given the true details (re: how the women started out and continued in this business as well as who helped them and how they brought others in to the business) about who they associated with, the answer to how they connected with the killer will never come to light.

To suggest that one of the women was only doing this part-time, when she was actually recruiting friends and also being "managed" by two men is another huge deception. There is no benefit to suggesting that this one women was different from the other three and SG (re: not having a pimp or a driver.) To do so, is just another example of trying to prettify the truth. Especially when the key to who is killing these women likely lies in the earliest cases.

Accurate details are absolutely necessary and the only way to find this/these murderers.

This guys myspace lists Al G. of Talent Productions in his top 8 friends. I think there was a model scout Al mentioned in Lost Girls.Who Maureen worked for.

Maybe it's the same guy, and maybe it isn't. And maybe it is. ;)

I found the book to be fair and well researched. We want the police and community to remove the focus on the young women's prostituion so they put the same effort into solving the cases as if they would if five college girls from good families on the North Shore of LI were found murdered. I think the book did a great job of understanding what happened in their lives to bring them into such a high risk lifestyle. Would the families like this book? Most would not becuase it exposes who they really are..not just how they appear in the aftermath. Can we blame the parents? Not for the murders of course. But come on...some of these "mothers" go way beyond "I made mistakes like ever parent does." I think the title Lost Girls just sums it up perfectly. They were lost from the beginning becuase they sadly had so many obstacles to overcome.

I found the book to be fair and well researched. We want the police and community to remove the focus on the young women's prostituion so they put the same effort into solving the cases as if they would if five college girls from good families on the North Shore of LI were found murdered. I think the book did a great job of understanding what happened in their lives to bring them into such a high risk lifestyle. Would the families like this book? Most would not becuase it exposes who they really are..not just how they appear in the aftermath. Can we blame the parents? Not for the murders of course. But come on...some of these "mothers" go way beyond "I made mistakes like ever parent does." I think the title Lost Girls just sums it up perfectly. They were lost from the beginning becuase they sadly had so many obstacles to overcome.

LE isnt going to put its all into this case. Dont forget that Dormer and Varrone mocked the mothers for getting dressed and combing ther hair before going in front of the cameras. God only knows what was said out of earshot. Its very telling. Good luck to the families in getting this case solved. Especially when all evidence lands on Burkes desk. At some point in time I hope the families take the bull by the horns and screw LE and their fake investigation.

If you think a book that exploits the desperation of the families of the victims is a must read, you will enjoy this book. These families were approached early on by this author, while they were still numb from learning of the deaths of their loved ones. A couple of them backed out qickly and I can't help but notice they are not spoken well of in the book. I find that tells a lot about this author. Bob seems to care more about making a buck of these tragedies than finding justice for these girls. It's too bad these heartbroken families fell victim to a fast talking man looking to make a buck
The rest of it is based on accounts by people with agendas and tall tales to tell and no facts or actual evidence relevent to the case. Rumors and heresay only. Callng this non-fiction is a bit of a stretch

I respectfully disgaree with the idea that the author is only after a "buck."Anyone who writes a book about any subject of course plans/hopes it will be successful monetarily. And why shouldn't they? It's their time and work and career. If we expect writers to be alturistic..no one would write books. And obviosly some of us are interested in the story behind the story. I think there are numerous facts in the book(documented ) that are clearly not rumors. And I of course do not know which parent with whom you are close( I am not asking). IMO I beleive several of them tried desperately to give their children a good life and had their own demons/issues. And I truly beleive several of them loved their children and are second guessing everything. But not all. I think the ones that do not come across as sympathetic in his book...have demosntrated qualities so lacking as a parent and are true narcassists that his portrayal is fair. And they are not blaming themselves..they are blaming others and distorting reality. Again...not all the people and families...just a few. But I agree the only one responsible for the murders is the murderer.

Its not OK to pretend to be friends with someone at their lowest point in their lives. Whether its for financial gain or any other reason. Its self serving. I work with people like that. They deserve each other.

It's important to know the victims. It's important when you are writing a book...you would be screaming from the rooftops if they were referred to as prostitutes 1 thru 11 .

Isn't part of the issue ...that of prostitutes being disregarded as victims due to their lifestyles? That the cases are not top priority because the victims are fringe society?

It should come as no surprise that perhaps they come from dysfunctional parents, people with problems, single mothers, alcoholics...etc.

You want to put on the pressure? Get the case front and center?

Tell the stories of the victims...make them human...with human families and frailties...

Kolker got it right.

We should start a thread: what's the most politically correct way to refer to a hooker.

Well, if you ask the creeps on UG, they use the term, "Provider."

Those guys on ug really love their hookers. They should spend the money on new clothes, gym membership and a haircut and maybe get a non hooker girl

Native, the old saying is that you're not paying her to come over, you're paying her to leave.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissBets
Back