Germany Louise Kerton, 24, travelled from UK to Germany/Belgium/England, 30 July 2001

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Strassfeld is a part of Euskirchen, and Euskirchen has a railway station.
Cologne is not that far, and has a railway station too.
Aachen Hbf is much farther away than both Euskirchen and Cologne railway station.

Maybe there was a direct train from Aachen to Ostende in 2001, but in 2021 there is not.

It was said in an earlier post that LK planned to take the 12.04 train.
In 2021 this would have been a bad idea.
If she had waited 17 minutes, she might have taken the 12.21 and saved herself one hour of travel time. Arrival would have been 15.57 instead of 16.57.

But that is now, I would very much like to know what the time tables were in 2001.

I also wonder why Mrs Simon drove all the way to Aachen and then into the center of Aachen when she might also have gone on less than 20 kms to Welkenraedt on the other side of the border, a tiny town of approximateley 10.000 inhabitants, where several trains to Ostende stop and where LK would have had to change trains anyway and wait for 46 minutes had she taken the 12.04 train in 2021.

Even with today's timetables and connections, it does not make much sense to me.

Very interesting. All in all, it's starting to sound as though taking her to Aachen to get the train home is the sort of thing you might say you were doing if you hadn't bothered to look at the timetable or route map because actually no one was really taking a train anywhere at all. Which would chime with the fact that no one saw either of them there.

JMO

Father hopes to reopen case of British woman who disappeared 20 years ago
Grieving father releases unseen pictures of his daughter 18 years after she vanished aged 24 | Daily Mail Online

We don't have enough information to go on really. It would be interesting to know when the hovercraft tickets for both of them were bought, or if there's a possibility they weren't even pre-booked. In 2001 would advance booking have been necessary and would the ticket have been bought through a travel agent, or at the terminal? It seems Peter knew which one she was expected to arrive on. If she hadn't pre-booked a ticket, how did he know? How many times a day does the hovercraft run back and forth?

• Dover – Ostend (1998–2003; Seacat and Superseacat service): after the failure of the Holyman Sally Line service from Ramsgate to Ostend, Holyman became partners with Hoverspeed and moved the service to Dover. The 81m Incat fastcraft used on the service lost their 'Holyman' prefix and became the Rapide and Diamant. Sea Containers later bought Holyman's share in the operation and the fastcraft.

Hoverspeed - Wikipedia

Just out of curiousity, I looked to see if there is an Interpol yellow notice (missing person) for her, and I could not find one.

What do we make of that?

She could have turned up or could turn up in Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, etc. Seems to me it would be a helpful formality at least to have her listed there. I wonder if Interpol has her DNA for comparisons... you never know.
And my heart goes out to her family in their need for answers.

WOW. This is fantastic. A timeline is a necessary tool, and I thank you for putting this together.

IMO, all answers of what happened to Louise lie with the Simon family.
You are welcome! Thank you - I enjoy this part of sleuthing, in fact find it necessary to get my head round a case.

What will be even more interesting to see is more detail of events in the days running up to LK's disappearance.

He recalls her being excited about the trip, and buying a new phone that would allow her to text from abroad.

But Louise never messaged her family, and police later found the phone had only been used for one test call, made the day she bought it.

A devastating mystery that remains unsolved to this day

RSBM & BBM

Louise bought a phone that would allow her to text from abroad, but she never used it.
She did send a note on paper that her family had difficulty recognizing as hers.

Did LE locate the phone or only establish its use?

Her father says Louise was talkative, wouldn't she have texted a lot on the day she got the phone OR mention in conversations that she had trouble texting due to being dyslectic?

IMO if it wasn't for the neighbours in Strassfeld, I'd conclude that Louise never made it out of England and I'm inclined to discount those neighbours and say she never was in Strassfeld at all. She had never been there before. How would the locals know her? (I may be wrong here. Still I would like to start at the beginning.)

The focus of the investigation should be on her whereabouts in the UK from the moment she bought the phone.

IMO the return journey is a complete fake. The best explanation that her BF returned to England 2 days before her, is that they could not possibly be travelling together, 'cause she was never there.(Either because she hadn't left England, or Germany.)

Next, his mother makes this weird trip to Aachen, where no one notices either woman, and as the cherry on the cake, he goes 'to pick her up in Dover,' and when he has to tell the family that she isn't there, he loses his cool. And blows a possible alibi but no one seems to notice.

All IMO of course, and if Louise was in contact with her family while she was in Germany, I'll forget about this theory. But I haven't seen it mentioned.

In the Kent Online article in my previous post, it states: "In late July, Peter returned to Broadstairs to deal with an issue at the family's house."

Presumably this was something urgent, and Louise followed. Interesting yes, that she didn't travel with him. Cost perhaps?
He apparently travelled back 'to receive a delivery' for the house - according to one article

This article in the Independent from 2001 (despite appearances) says -

"Kent police said officers would make routine inquiries, but it was now a matter for the German authorities. A spokesman said: [...] "We are now satisfied that she travelled to Germany for a holiday and subsequently disappeared. We will continue to liaise with the family and police abroad but it is now a matter for the German police."

I don't know what satisfied them of that.

Father of missing nurse appeals to fiance's family

RSBM & BBM

Louise bought a phone that would allow her to text from abroad, but she never used it.
She did send a note on paper that her family had difficulty recognizing as hers.

Did LE locate the phone or only establish its use?

Her father says Louise was talkative, wouldn't she have texted a lot on the day she got the phone OR mention in conversations that she had trouble texting due to being dyslectic?

IMO if it wasn't for the neighbours in Strassfeld, I'd conclude that Louise never made it out of England and I'm inclined to discount those neighbours and say she never was in Strassfeld at all. She had never been there before. How would the locals know her? (I may be wrong here. Still I would like to start at the beginning.)

The focus of the investigation should be on her whereabouts in the UK from the moment she bought the phone.

IMO the return journey is a complete fake. The best explanation that her BF returned to England 2 days before her, is that they could not possibly be travelling together, 'cause she was never there.(Either because she hadn't left England, or Germany.)

Next, his mother makes this weird trip to Aachen, where no one notices either woman, and as the cherry on the cake, he goes 'to pick her up in Dover,' and when he has to tell the family that she isn't there, he loses his cool. And blows a possible alibi but no one seems to notice.

All IMO of course, and if Louise was in contact with her family while she was in Germany, I'll forget about this theory. But I haven't seen it mentioned.

That's an interesting theory, I hadn't given thought to the notion that she may never have reached Germany in the first place.

They apparently traveled to Germany to get away from things for a few weeks, after Louise heard the news about the possible nursing course failure (see timeline post for sources). Reports seem pretty consistent on this point in terms of the timing of the two occurrences (hearing about the course and deciding to go to Germany).

Combined with the point that her letter to her family seemed out of her usual style, and that she had not been in touch by phone when this was a fairly regular activity for Louise (see Unknown Passage podcast's analysis of the case, in which they describe her routine and regular phone calls to her family), it does seem peculiar.

I am also intrigued by when they got engaged...I can't find any evidence of this anywhere. Early reports describe PS as boyfriend, others as fiance. Did this life change create additional stressors? Louise seemed like a bright and engaged child, and although I can imagine a learning difficulty would have presented barriers to study, it surprises me that she would have potentially been at risk for failing. Granted there may not have been the study support and resources at that time, but being in education myself, it really only is the very disengaged or chaotic/dysfunctional students who are at the threshold of failure. If that was the case with Louise, what might the chaos in her life have been to put her in that position? It also, by my assessment, makes her vulnerable.

I would like to see more evidence of the travel to Germany, and insight into her life and behaviour in Broadstairs before the alleged trip to Germany and the news from her college. I wonder were they ever questioned by the British or German police, for example?

PI Bob Moffat was hired by the Kertons in 2001 to investigate the case.

From the Daily Mail:

"Mr Moffat and his colleague Dai Davies, a former head of royal protection, travelled to Germany to look into Ms Kerton's last movements in November 2001.

There, they found several things that struck them, including that there had hardly been any sightings of Louise in Strassfeld despite the fact she had told friends she was keen to see the local sights.

The Simon family never cooperated with them, refusing to even open the door let alone answer questions.

Statements reveal that Peter Simon telephoned Louise's family home when he discovered she was missing and during a rambling conversation told her sister that she had a bad character and had been sleeping around.

A disabled woman who lived with the Simons in Germany was never questioned.

There was no CCTV of Peter's mother Ramana dropping Louise at Aachen Station, which she said was because she hadn't pulled into the car park. "

Edited to correct typo.

Last edited:
THE LETTER

A quote from The Times article dated 15th August 2001 Missing nurse's letter may have been dictated linked by Legally Bland in post #33 in this thread :

"Her parents, Phil and Kathleen, said that a letter from Germany, apparently written by Miss Kerton, was not in her usual style and contained stilted sentences, as if dictated.

Miss Kerton's sister, Angela, said: "It is only since Louise has gone missing that my parents have gone back and analysed it. It was not immediately obvious that it was not her writing. She has been dyslexic since she was about ten so is always adding to what she has written and yet this letter was very neat with double-line spacing. She was writing things like 'The trees are green, the German people are very nice'. She just would not write in that manner."

Her father added: "Our worry is that it could have been dictated to her or she could have been encouraged to copy it down."

Speaking from his hotel in the small village of Euskirchen, where his daughter was said to have visited, he said: "She may not have left Britain. Police have not been able to confirm whether she arrived on the Continent or not. The German police are reluctant to throw their weight behind the search because they can't be sure she was actually there."

- - -

What I notice is that if her father thought she might not have left Britain, and the letter came from Germany, reading between the lines there is a third mooted scenario, in which someone else wrote the letter pretending to be Louise. I think a handwriting expert could determine this by comparing samples of Louise's handwriting and any others available. Even quirks of Louise's writing that are missing could establish that it wasn't written by her, which would be a starting point to opening a murder investigation. It was sent 10 days before the date she didn't board the boat. It seems like it could have been an attempt to show proof of life, about a week before Peter would return alone to England. Are her fingerprints even on the letter? Could they obtain her fingerprints from other letters she did send, or birthday cards, or college notes if they still have them? Or are someone else's fingerprints on it, apart from the recipients? Saliva or thumb print on a stamp? Is it notepaper she had ever used before?

- - -

other mentions of the letter -

The Independent - article written approx 18th August 2001 (18 days referred to in article after her disappearance) :

"A letter sent by Miss Kerton, who suffered from dyslexia, from Germany on 20 July was felt by her family to be uncharacteristically brief and tidy for a young woman who wrote in long, rambling sentences.

It said: "I'm keeping well. Having a lovely time in Germany. It's very green here, the weather is nice. Don't worry about me."

---

BBC - 29th May 2003 :

"Miss Kerton's family had received a letter from her around that time but doubted its authenticity.

"She doesn't mention that she's coming home and they feel that perhaps the letter was written under duress," Ms Woodforde said.

"They don't feel it was the way she would normally communicate with them."

---

Daily Mail - article dated 2019:

"The Kertons received a final letter apparently from their daughter, dated July 20, 2001, telling them: 'It is very beautiful here with all the trees and the flowers.'

And mentioning her nursing course, she added: 'I am keeping an open mind about everything to do with the nursing and I am sure all will turn out well in the end.'"

---

The Guardian - article dated 31 July 2021 :

"He still has the handwritten letter Louise wrote to her parents dated 20 July 2001, 10 days before her scheduled return to the UK, which was their last message from her. In it, she writes: “I’m keeping well. Having a lovely time in Germany. It’s very green here, the weather is nice. Don’t worry about me.”

He remains puzzled by what he referred to as its brevity and neatness."

---

KentOnline - article dated 2021 :

"But this letter was on one side of relatively small paper, and very neatly written out."

MOO

The letter definitely sounds very odd. Why would someone write a letter when they had specifically bought a phone that could text and call internationally?

If I received a letter from my daughter (similar age) I would be instantly suspicious, as writing letters just isn’t something she does. I would think it was some kind of “cry for help” and she was communicating to me that there was something very wrong!

The part that says “don’t worry about me” seems telling too; why would her parents have been worrying when ostensibly Louise was just on a normal holiday?

She is still on the website of the Belgium Federal Police.

Louise KERTON

Date
Mon 30.07.2001 - 15:44
Louise KERTON was in the year 2001 with her future in-laws in Germany (Englishmen living in Germany).

At the end of July of that year, she decided to return to Great Britain by train alone because she wanted to start education there. Her future mother-in-law brought her to the AACHENER HAUPTBAHNHOF on 30.07.01. Nobody saw Louise Kerton get on the train to Ostend (departure 12:04 pm track 8). The woman has been missing since then.

If she was going to write I would have expected her to do it midway through the holiday, or a few weeks after being there, not a week before she was going to be coming back and seeing them. She would probably arrive at about the same time the letter did.

I think it's likely she would have travelled back with Peter (if she was alive), and I don't see what receiving a parcel for the house has to do with anything. It seems like a poor excuse, and I don't see the attraction for her in staying the extra two days without him, and then travelling alone.

Why didn't Louise travel back with Peter two days earlier?

Exactly my question....it's odd the least. She didn't like traveling for one so why not travel together. There was no need for her to just stay for two more days in Germany? Did she ever communicate with her parents on what date she was planning to come back to the UK? Why is the first reaction -if somebody is not arriving on a given time- thinking somebody is dead. That's ridiculous IMO. And why "flee" to London? What did he do there, why did he needed to be there? instead of waiting on her eventually belated arrival.....It's suspicious and not logical at all. She had a cellphone (at least she had it when she went to Germany, but never used it, also strange) In normal circumstances she would have texted him, that she had some hick-ups in the travel and she would arrive later. Why was the phone left and later found in the Simon's house? And then as some kind of explanation PS saying she was promiscuous and sheeting on him. The whole story stinks. Are we the only one seeing this? It feels like the different police forces were shifting responsibility......who on earth would use the word "satisfied" in a matter like this.

Last edited:
Exactly my question....it's odd the least. She didn't like traveling for one so why not travel together. There was no need for her to just stay for two more days in Germany? Did she ever communicate with her parents on what date she was planning to come back to the UK? Why is the first reaction -if somebody is not arriving on a given time- thinking somebody is dead. That's ridiculous IMO. And why "flee" to London? What did he do there, why did he needed to be there? instead of waiting on her eventually belated arrival.....It's suspicious and not logical at all. She had a cellphone (at least she had it when she went to Germany, but never used it, also strange) In normal circumstances she would have texted him, that she had some hick-ups in the travel and she would arrive later. Why was the phone left and later found in the Simon's house? And then as some kind of explanation PS saying she was promiscuous and sheeting on him. The whole story stinks.
Agreed. I don't think it was the phone that was found in his house, it was her camera.

Agreed. I don't think it was the phone that was found in his house, it was her camera.

Thanks, I remember now. Also very strange IMO. IIRC there were photo's on it and police tried to speak to those people. It feels like that it were at random people...was there ever a connection made between (some) people in the pictures and Louise? Sorry, if the answer is already in the posts above.

As a side note; I get a very eerie feeling about the Simon's family dynamics.

And what was the story about Louise was ill and Mrs Simon gave her some antibiotics "out of a closet". As a nurse with good intentions she would have given her the right medicine...but what if she didn't have good intentions...her son telling her Louise was promiscuous and was untrue, or maybe even told her Louise wanted to end the relationship after all. The mother IMO was like a lion, "protecting" her cubs and controlling.

edit to add.

Last edited:
Strassfeld is a part of Euskirchen, and Euskirchen has a railway station.
Cologne is not that far, and has a railway station too.
Aachen Hbf is much farther away than both Euskirchen and Cologne railway station.

Maybe there was a direct train from Aachen to Ostende in 2001, but in 2021 there is not.

It was said in an earlier post that LK planned to take the 12.04 train.
In 2021 this would have been a bad idea.
If she had waited 17 minutes, she might have taken the 12.21 and saved herself one hour of travel time. Arrival would have been 15.57 instead of 16.57.

But that is now, I would very much like to know what the time tables were in 2001.

I also wonder why Mrs Simon drove all the way to Aachen and then into the center of Aachen when she might also have gone on less than 20 kms to Welkenraedt on the other side of the border, a tiny town of approximateley 10.000 inhabitants, where several trains to Ostende stop and where LK would have had to change trains anyway and wait for 46 minutes had she taken the 12.04 train in 2021.

Even with today's timetables and connections, it does not make much sense to me.

I started looking for timetables for the 12.04 train from (Cologne -) Aachen - Oostende in the summer of 2001.

Haven't found it yet, what I did find is an amazing world of train-lovers and people who collect almost everything about trains, timetables, locs, carriages, lines, decison-making at all levels, tickets, prices, connections, new connections, railways in disuse, abandoned railway stations - you name it and it is probably there.

Initially, I thought I was looking for the well known needle in a haystack. I no longer think it is a mere needle, but my, the haystack is huge.

I started looking for timetables for the 12.04 train from (Cologne -) Aachen - Oostende in the summer of 2001.

Haven't found it yet, what I did find is an amazing world of train-lovers and people who collect almost everything about trains, timetables, locs, carriages, lines, decison-making at all levels, tickets, prices, connections, new connections, railways in disuse, abandoned railway stations - you name it and it is probably there.

Initially, I thought I was looking for the well known needle in a haystack. I no longer think it is a mere needle, but my, the haystack is huge.
WOW. What an incredible find and even more so, fantastic resource. Great sleuthing! Moments like this make WS so worthwhile for lingering cases. It also shows the power in collective knowledge (and sharing of it).

Will keep my fingers crossed it produces something.

Go on, you know you want to... ;)

European rail timetable march 2001 Thomas Cook | rail timetable march 2001 | eBay
Thomas Cook European Rail Timetable 2001 (World Wise)-Thomas Cook 9781841571430 | eBay
Thomas Cook European Rail Timetable 2001 (World Wise) By Thomas Cook 9781841571430 | eBay

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stahoe
Back