Found Deceased MA - Achim Bailey, 23, told parents he was going to a bar, Springfield, Hampden County, 11 Jan 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Achim was asked to leave Samuel's around 1:30AM. Bars close at 2AM in Massachusetts, although the new MGM Grand serves until 4AM (I think). MGM is pretty much near where he was walking, but there is no mention of him being there.

So he chose to head north on East Columbus to Hamden Street. Not for another bar. What was the reason?

Then Achim just turned around and headed south again past Samual's to the last phone ping at Balise GMC.

This is odd, and a lot of seemingly random walking at 2:00AM.

Did Achim walk north to clear his head after getting kicked out of Samuel's? And did he end up back at Samuel's right around closing time for a reason? Why did he come back on the railroad tracks, not a safe option for sure. Image attached, tracks right next to Samuel's parking lot.

I tend to think that Achim came back to Samuel's for a reason. Because his phone last pinged south of Samuel's does not mean he was still walking on the tracks/road at that point, or that he was in control of his phone.

I think something bad happened to Achim outside of Samuel's bar.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-21 at 4.03.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-21 at 4.03.33 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
drjones, I had a hard time hearing what the father said about someone coming in the back screen door and picked up a child? Who was that that came in?
Could he have met a girl and walked her home and an ex/boyfriend wasn't to happy about that? I'm making myself confused. Heart breaks for his family.

drjones, I had a hard time hearing what the father said about someone coming in the back screen door and picked up a child? Who was that that came in?
Could he have met a girl and walked her home and an ex/boyfriend wasn't to happy about that? I'm making myself confused. Heart breaks for his family.

he said his wife woke him up at 2 and he heard the screen door rattling, but it was "his brother's girlfriend putting the baby in the car"

im not sure if he means his own brother, or achim's brother (im guessing its achim's brother)

I spent my teenage years in Springfield so I've been following this case.

Does anyone know what area of the city he lives in yet?

he said his wife woke him up at 2 and he heard the screen door rattling, but it was "his brother's girlfriend putting the baby in the car"

im not sure if he means his own brother, or achim's brother (im guessing its achim's brother)
Were they all out together or is that completely seperate?

<modsnip: fundriasing discussion is not allowed>

this is the area they talk about where he entered the dirt parking lot then appeared to turn around and head south along the train tracks back towards where he had come from;

Google Maps

his phone pinged twice more after that, both locations south along the river past where he had started (sam's) - it pinged near the hilton garden inn, and the last one was near balise chevrolet;

Google Maps

^if that link works right then balise is at the bottom middle of the map, and you can see sam's at the top and the hilton is just a little down from sam's
Are they saying he never made it as far as the WGBY building? I thought he was on cctv near Hampden street?

ETA-nvm, I just read above. He did go to Hampden street, turned and walked down the railroad tracks south past the bar.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip: fundraising discussion is not allowed>

this is the area they talk about where he entered the dirt parking lot then appeared to turn around and head south along the train tracks back towards where he had come from;

Google Maps

his phone pinged twice more after that, both locations south along the river past where he had started (sam's) - it pinged near the hilton garden inn, and the last one was near balise chevrolet;

Google Maps

^if that link works right then balise is at the bottom middle of the map, and you can see sam's at the top and the hilton is just a little down from sam's
Hate to say this, but it sounds like somewhere a short distance from where he headed back he most likely fell into the river. My fear is that he took a walk and someone saw him, robbed him and shoved him in the river.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly, this case has many of the hallmarks of so many others of young men in the prime of life who mysteriously go missing only to be found later in a body of water. Usually, the cause of death, when the autopsy was done correctly, was not drowning. Often, it is "undetermined." The hallmarks are: 1) young man leaves bar or party alone after consuming some alcohol (but not to the point of impaired ability to walk); 2) direction of travel usually seems inexplicable, illogical, or aimless; 3) phone goes dead; 4) travels out of range of CCTV; 5) found deceased in a body of water. Sometimes determination is made that the man was dead some time before his body entered the water, and in some cases, the person was alive for some time between the disappearance and the recovery of his body from water. IMO, something odd is going on and some of these many puzzling cases have too many strange similarities to be mere coincidence. I've read a number of different theories, but none, for me, is convincing. Many smart people investigating, documenting and trying to come up with some answers. I hope plausible answers to most cases are found some day. Many grieving parents and family members are waiting for them. MOO.

Deaths of Male College Students/The River Killers

Sadly, this case has many of the hallmarks of so many others of young men in the prime of life who mysteriously go missing only to be found later in a body of water. Usually, the cause of death, when the autopsy was done correctly, was not drowning. Often, it is "undetermined." The hallmarks are: 1) young man leaves bar or party alone after consuming some alcohol (but not to the point of impaired ability to walk); 2) direction of travel usually seems inexplicable, illogical, or aimless; 3) phone goes dead; 4) travels out of range of CCTV; 5) found deceased in a body of water. Sometimes determination is made that the man was dead some time before his body entered the water, and in some cases, the person was alive for some time between the disappearance and the recovery of his body from water. IMO, something odd is going on and some of these many puzzling cases have too many strange similarities to be mere coincidence. I've read a number of different theories, but none, for me, is convincing. Many smart people investigating, documenting and trying to come up with some answers. I hope plausible answers to most cases are found some day. Many grieving parents and family members are waiting for them. MOO.

Deaths of Male College Students/The River Killers

BBM

I don't suspect what you propose, but I can't argue with the bolded points. He was kicked out of a bar while being there alone (this is odd, usually a bounced patron would be one or more of a "fun" group). He definitely walked (alone). He went in a very illogical route- due North then due South. Phone died or turned off. Maybe out of range of cameras the last mile.

I have attached a map showing what I understand his route to be based on info from drjones and other information here. S- Samuel's, H- Hilton, C- Chevy dealer (last phone signal), turnaround at the top at Hamden Street. I will delete if incorrect route.

This issue that I have is that he came right back to the bar near closing time, the bar that he was kicked out of 30-60 minutes earlier. And he came back on the riverside tracks or bike path, which is probably not the safest route at 2AM on a Saturday night- when he could have come back on the street. To me this is more telling than anything.

ETA- weather that night at 2AM was 17°C, no precipitation, slight wind.

Attachments

• DrJones.jpg
    DrJones.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
His father dropped him off. Who was supposed to pick him up? If I was dropped a relative off at a bar later at night, I definitely would confirm how they planned to get home.

Was he supposed to meet someone there? Brother, cousin, friend?

Going to drink alone at 11:15 doesn’t sound like a lot of fun? JMO

it turned out that his brother dropped him off, his cousin went in another car but only stayed for a short bit, the brother never went inside as far as we know.

so at the end of the night it does appear that he was alone.

I don't know if i'm misunderstanding or just really really confused. So he was dropped off at the bar by his brother, but the brother didn't go into the bar? Where did the brother go? Who was he with? Who was in charge of watching the baby at the parents home? Scares me to think someone ( even if mother) would just walk in at 2am and take baby without letting whomever was in charge of that child know. Was the child's mom out with the brother? THEN THERE'S THE COUSIN. I think a lot needs to be cleared from those close to him. IMO. ( I am not pointing fingers just seems odd to me)

I don't know if i'm misunderstanding or just really really confused. So he was dropped off at the bar by his brother, but the brother didn't go into the bar? Where did the brother go? Who was he with? Who was in charge of watching the baby at the parents home? Scares me to think someone ( even if mother) would just walk in at 2am and take baby without letting whomever was in charge of that child know. Was the child's mom out with the brother? THEN THERE'S THE COUSIN. I think a lot needs to be cleared from those close to him. IMO. ( I am not pointing fingers just seems odd to me)

nothing seems suspicious to me, there is nothing to suggest anyone went in and just took the baby, the mother could have been in the house with the baby all night, and the father just happened to hear her leaving when he got up. one brother gave another brother a ride, the cousin went in his own car and met them there, then left early to go pick up his wife or girlfriend after work (cant remember which it was). for whatever reason achim's brother wasnt going out that night, but offered achim a ride.

I wonder how he’d planned to get back home? I’ve not heard an answer to that yet. I could have missed it, for sure. To return back to the bar again, perhaps he was waiting to see if a friend was leaving to give him a ride home. Or get the digits of a girl he was interested in. Or try to go after someone he had an argument with. I have no idea why he was bounced out of the bar. Has anyone said? I’m just throwing some ideas out there. Those are reasons I would return to a bar if I had been drinking & got tossed out. He could have walked to collect himself and sober up a bit. I meander when I do that (though I’ve never been kicked out of a bar before). I’m sure my route would look illogical, at best. He could’ve been walking to waste some time until the bar closed. Maybe he didn’t see who he was looking for, so he started walking down toward the Chevy place. Perhaps he slipped and fell in the river somewhere along there. Truly, I’m just thinking out loud. And hoping for the best. All JMO, of course.

BBM

I don't suspect what you propose, but I can't argue with the bolded points. He was kicked out of a bar while being there alone (this is odd, usually a bounced patron would be one or more of a "fun" group). He definitely walked (alone). He went in a very illogical route- due North then due South. Phone died or turned off. Maybe out of range of cameras the last mile.

I have attached a map showing what I understand his route to be based on info from drjones and other information here. S- Samuel's, H- Hilton, C- Chevy dealer (last phone signal), turnaround at the top at Hamden Street. I will delete if incorrect route.

This issue that I have is that he came right back to the bar near closing time, the bar that he was kicked out of 30-60 minutes earlier. And he came back on the riverside tracks or bike path, which is probably not the safest route at 2AM on a Saturday night- when he could have come back on the street. To me this is more telling than anything.

ETA- weather that night at 2AM was 17°C, no precipitation, slight wind.

Thanks for the map. It’s really worrisome to see the River next to his route.

I wonder how he’d planned to get back home? I’ve not heard an answer to that yet. I could have missed it, for sure. To return back to the bar again, perhaps he was waiting to see if a friend was leaving to give him a ride home. Or get the digits of a girl he was interested in. Or try to go after someone he had an argument with. I have no idea why he was bounced out of the bar. Has anyone said? I’m just throwing some ideas out there. Those are reasons I would return to a bar if I had been drinking & got tossed out. He could have walked to collect himself and sober up a bit. I meander when I do that (though I’ve never been kicked out of a bar before). I’m sure my route would look illogical, at best. He could’ve been walking to waste some time until the bar closed. Maybe he didn’t see who he was looking for, so he started walking down toward the Chevy place. Perhaps he slipped and fell in the river somewhere along there. Truly, I’m just thinking out loud. And hoping for the best. All JMO, of course.

his father was expecting to pick him up, and did in fact go to try to get him but could not find him shortly after 2am

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RMN0406
Back