Found Deceased MA - Achim Bailey, 23, told parents he was going to a bar, Springfield, Hampden County, 11 Jan 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
James Villalobos

BREAKING: Longmeadow and Agawam and Fire Departments are sending boats into the Connecticut River after reports of a body being floating in the river.

This is a developing situation, limited details are available. Stick with Western Mass News.

upload_2019-3-16_0-49-53.jpegupload_2019-3-16_0-48-56.jpeg

BREAKING: Crews currently searching CT River.

James Villalobos

The boat is now leaving the search. We are still working on gathering more details.

Another update coming up at 5:30 on Western Mass News.

upload_2019-3-16_0-48-6.jpeg

James Villalobos

Coming up at 6 on Western Mass News, an exclusive interview with the man who called police.

upload_2019-3-16_0-47-38.jpeg

James Villalobos

BODY FOUND UPDATE:

I am in contact with a number of sources at this time and gathering more information about what unfolded today on the Connecticut River.

Because I am still finalizing those details and making calls/stops, be sure to tune in to Western Mass News later tonight.

upload_2019-3-16_0-47-2.jpeg

James Villalobos

BREAKING: I just spoke with Achim Bailey’s parents, and they were visited by investigators shortly after the body’s discovery. They tell me that they were told that the description of the body pulled from the Connecticut River matches Achim.

We are waiting for OFFICIAL confirmation from investigators that it was in fact him. Again, this is a DEVELOPING situation. I will bring you the latest information as I have it.

upload_2019-3-16_0-46-28.jpeg

James Villalobos

BODY FOUND UPDATE:

In case you missed my 6:00 live hit, here it is below. Again, this is a developing situation so we have been able to gather new information since this live shot.

But tonight on Western Mass News at 10 and 11, we have more of that exclusive interview with the man that made the call after seeing the body.

No signs of foul play. I suppose it is kind of good news that Achim didn't appear to be a crime victim.

After 2 months, the body was found floating just a mile from where he was last seen. My first thought was that this is odd.

But thinking about it, a body will initially sink in water and Achim's body could have gotten snagged up on the river bottom, ie old tree. Over time, decomposition will make the body buoyant, and in this case, the body may have recently unsnagged from the upward force.

A big thanks to James Villalobos for keeping the story alive.

Rest in peace, Achim.

No signs of foul play. I suppose it is kind of good news that Achim didn't appear to be a crime victim.

After 2 months, the body was found floating just a mile from where he was last seen. My first thought was that this is odd.

But thinking about it, a body will initially sink in water and Achim's body could have gotten snagged up on the river bottom, ie old tree. Over time, decomposition will make the body buoyant, and in this case, the body may have recently unsnagged from the upward force.

A big thanks to James Villalobos for keeping the story alive.

Rest in peace, Achim.
There's also a number of boats docked just downriver. He easily could have become entangled and finally came loose during a storm. If you go to yahoo maps you can see the area and I'll bet that's what happened.

This is typical behavior for a body in the water in the winter. It sinks in winter when the cold water slows decomposition and rises when the water starts to warm up and decomposition resumes, making the body more bouyant.

I'm told that in Chicago, they refer to this as "body season."

What are sleuthers' thoughts on the recovery of Achim's body from the river? Sadly, it's what I expected from day one.
I would like to know:
  • Cause of death--is there water in his lungs?
  • Stage of decomposition--does it match the length of time he was missing?
  • Toxicology results--any drugs? If so, what?
  • Any marks on the body?
(Also posted this in the thread for Deaths of Male College Students--General Discussion #6.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back