MA - Alleged Serial Rapist, Attorney Matthew Nilo, 35, Arrested Due To Genetic Genealogy, 2023 June 1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
oh I am positive there's many other crimes he will be connected to
love genetic genealogy!
Sorry this got messed up lol but I agree they don’t just stop. Agencies where he as moved should run their rape kits against his.

I’m sure there are more victims who never came forward as well.
t they don’t just stop.

At the time of the alleged rapes, Boston Police Department issued a warning that a man was attacking women after offering them rides home.

The article also details the attacks.

At the time of the alleged rapes, Boston Police Department issued a warning that a man was attacking women after offering them rides home.

The article also details the attacks.
That clarifies a lot. Will have a hard time defending his dna or saying it was consensual with 3 different women and same scenarios. He’s gonna need more than his fiancée’s rosary to get outta this one.

I still these victims are so relieved he’s off the street.

His attorney is looking for legal mistakes. If guilty, hopefully there weren't any that allow him to walk.

IMO let's try to keep the focus on any victims (ETA - Sometimes it feels like the alleged perpetrator gets so much discussion.) What was described would have been horrifically traumatizing for the victims.

The DNA match in the fourth attack (that involved the jogger) appears to be a relatively "weaker" match so hopefully that evidence holds up.

The collection of his DNA without a warrant is only going to be problematic if the defense can prove the items were not intended as discarded trash. It will matter how LE collected it.

From the article above we learn that "FBI agents were able to obtain various utensils and drinking glasses they watched the defendant use at a corporate event. From one of the glasses the Boston Police Crime Lab obtained a male DNA profile, which was found to match the suspect profile from the three Terminal Street rapes."

In some some cases, surreptitiously-collected DNA evidence has been suppressed if it could not be definitely shown that a person discarded them as trash (if trashed, it is usually allowed in as evidence, since courts have ruled that you have no expectation of privacy over what you discard in the garbage).

I find his age at the time of the rapes to be interesting. He’s 35 now and had to have been between 18-19 yrs old. I wonder if the victims also described him at the time as very young. He looks young now, must have looked like a kid.

He’s moved around a lot, so hopefully other agencies can look at their cold cases. No way does someone do 4 rapes in such a small window of time and just stop.

Here's the full statement given in court today by the DA

Some of the details remind me of the case of Philip Markoff, who was robbing sex workers he found on Craigslist and murdered one of them.

Both Nilo and Markoff graduated from or were attending professional schools (law vs. medicine) and seemed like they were on the road to a bright future. Both committed their crimes in the Boston area and targeted women. And both had fiancée's who (initially) supported them.

Last edited:
This guy is going down! DNA doesn't lie (unless he has a secret twin).

Here's a guy that had so much going for him; so much privilege; and yet there is something truly messed up in his brain.
I will never understand the complexity of human beings and our minds. Thank goodness there are so many good people in the world.

I find his age at the time of the rapes to be interesting. He’s 35 now and had to have been between 18-19 yrs old. I wonder if the victims also described him at the time as very young. He looks young now, must have looked like a kid.

He’s moved around a lot, so hopefully other agencies can look at their cold cases. No way does someone do 4 rapes in such a small window of time and just stop.

According to the link @Gardenista posted, the first three victims described their attacker as a young man estimated to be in his twenties.

They may have slightly overestimated his age as they didnt expect someone so young to be attacking them in that manner.

Just in case there is anyone reading here who can't access the articles that describe the crimes, here is a summary:

1. Early morning hours of August 18, 2007: a 23 year old woman was looking for her car in the area of State Street in downtown Boston. She was approached by a male thought to be in his twenties with light olive skin and brown hair whom she thought she knew. She accepted a ride from him to help look for her car but instead he took her to Terminal Street in Charlestown. He threatened to kill her and said he had a weapon and she was assaulted near the railroad tracks.

2. November 22nd, 2007: another 23 year old woman left a bar on State Street and entered a vehicle that she believed to be a taxi or other livery car. She gave the male driver the address of an ATM near her apartment. He showed this victim a knife and drove to Terminal Street where she was ordered out of the car and assaulted.

3. August 5, 2008: A 36 year old woman was panhandling in the area of Boylston and Arlington Streets, off the Boston Common/Public Garden. She was approached by a man in his early twenties, who promised to give her money if she went to Charlestown in his car with him. The man drove her to Terminal Street, tackled her to the ground, held a gun to her back, and assaulted her repeatedly.

4. December 23, 2008: a 44 year old woman was jogging in the area of Terminal Street when a man ran up behind her and tackled her to the ground. During this assault, in which he claimed to have a gun, the victim was able to use her gloved hands to poke at his eyes. When the attacker ran off, the victim was able to return home and call 911.

In the first three incidents, the victims were able to flag down passersby for help and be taken to hospitals to have forensic exams performed. In each case, a male DNA profile was established from assault kit swabs that matched a single unknown attacker. In the fourth incident, the victim's clothing (including her glove) were taken into evidence but no forensic link to the previous three cases was established at that time.

Info from: New Jersey man arraigned for series of rapes in Boston from over a decade ago — Suffolk County District Attorney's Office

Well, his MO is clearly established. It would be really difficult for him to claim these were consensual encounters. I have a feeling he's going to be facing a lot of other charges in other jurisdictions, as well. These guys don't just stop.

And DNA doesn't lie.

MOO

He will be released on bail following a hearing this morning:

In court Monday, Nilo's defense withdrew a petition and agreed to previous conditions including bail of $500,000 and requirements that Nilo wear a GPS tracker, surrender his passport, have no contact with the victims and stay 1,000 feet away from Terminal Street in Charlestown unless accompanied by his attorney.

https://www.wcvb.com/article/boston...ew-nilo-attorney-court-massachusetts/44090583

One of his alleged victims, who wore a black hoodie and had her blond hair in a pony tail, sat fidgeting in the second row gasped audibly.

'This is bulls**t!' she told DailyMail.com. 'He literally hid from cops for 16 years. How is he not a flight risk?

'Anybody who can come up with $500,000 so easily is a flight risk. And this is such a heinous crime.'

Nilo, 35, who's been locked up in a Boston jail, is expected to be released later today. He'll leave with a GPS ankle monitor, surrender his passport and has been ordered to have no contact with victims and witnesses.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lizjen
Back