MA - Bella Bond, 2, found dead, Deer Island, Boston Harbor, June 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caleigh already weighed 30 pounds when she disappeared 3 years ago. I'd be surprised if this is her, especially when you add eye colour. Police should check, of course

"Digitally reconstructed images of the leggings and blanket are depicted above. "

They reconstructed the images to make it look they way it would have to someone who remembers her. Why are we looking for stains?

http://www.missingkids.com/poster/ncmu/1250459

Stains would indicate if she died in the leggings and also tell us a level of decomposition and an idea of how long she was deceased before they found her. Stains could also indicate her play and lifestyle habits....was she at the beach? played at park in sand? played outside in grass? What kind of snack she might have had a spilled as toddlers do? was she in the water-brown water stains? Tons of info from the condition of those leggings IMO

I've been reading everything I can find on this poor child, and watching the news videos.

I agree with many of you that clothing size is no indication of age. Also, if she appears to have "baby fat" that doesn't mean she's a younger child because some kids have naturally full faces and keep them all their lives.

Agree. Forensics would have calculated her age by the teeth, skull and long bones, not the tag in her pants.

MOO

[video=cnn;us/2015/07/11/computerized-images-help-solve-cases-casarez-dnt-ac.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/09/us/massachusetts-dead-toddler-forensics/index.html[/video]

"It took forensic artist Christi Andrews less than four hours to bring the face of "Baby Doe" to life in an image that has touched millions.

She started from scratch, studying autopsy information and morgue photos of the unidentified remains of the little girl, found in a trash bag along the rocky shoreline of Boston harbor. Andrews worked on Adobe Photoshop to recreate the toddler's big brown eyes, chubby cheeks, hair reaching just below the shoulders, her earrings. Such composites generally take about a day to produce. "

"This was a rush request," said Andrews, who works for the Virginia-based National Center for Missing & Exploited Children. "I tried to get this out as soon as possible."

Sorry but the CNN link parses the video even if I don't want it.

This link is also helpful regarding the forensic artist;
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/07/...elps-identify-girl-found-dead-on-deer-island/

"We want to obviously create an image of what the child will look like in life, but also the vibrancy of that child, and we want obviously people to pay attention to these images,” Andrews says.

It is grim work. In cases like Deer Island, investigators will send Andrews post-mortem images. Somehow, she looks beyond the pain of what she sees and comes up with a vivid final product."

MOO

Stains would indicate if she died in the leggings and also tell us a level of decomposition and an idea of how long she was deceased before they found her. Stains could also indicate her play and lifestyle habits....was she at the beach? played at park in sand? played outside in grass? What kind of snack she might have had a spilled as toddlers do? was she in the water-brown water stains? Tons of info from the condition of those leggings IMO

I know very well what stains indicate, but none of that means there were no actual stains. The pictures were digitally reconstructed as per the link I provided. Presenting as fact, the lack of stains, is misleading IMO.

MOO

OK so after reading the article to go with this video, it says different stock images are used. Being proficient in Photoshop for my job, it looks to me not so much that they overlayed digital images over a real photos of the girl, but just pulled different similar images from a stock photo site and used it to create the composite. The underlying photo of the messy hair with blue shirt looks like a generic school photo, not any clue as to what her shirt may have looked like or how messy her actual hair was. I am thinking the hair was matted and knotted in a hair band, as my own dd's hair gets when she sleeps on it. I am leaning toward she did not have a shirt or it would have been mentioned.

BBM.
Or she did have a shirt on, but the LE is withholding that info and hoping someone will come forward with info about the shirt.
Kind of like when certain evidence is withheld in a criminal case in the hopes that the suspect will mention it.

I agree that it's possible Baby Doe was wearing her leggings as pajamas, or just took her shirt off as kids do. Having no shirt, undies, or shoes may not be indicative of any sexual abuse. Could have been just sleeping attire

I agree.
Or if it was really hot out, her shirt could have been off too.
Lots of times in the summer, my mom puts my brother to bed in just his diaper and then during the day, he's in just a diaper too.
What was the weather like in that area during that week or so she was found?

How do we know this child had no shirt, underpants or shoes? I have read everything I thought. Help?

I know very well what stains indicate, but none of that means there were no actual stains. The pictures were digitally reconstructed as per the link I provided. Presenting as fact, the lack of stains, is misleading IMO.

MOO
You asked "Why are we looking for stains?" and I provided my answer. We don't know if there were stains or not at this point. I did read that those were the actual clothes but it appears that may have been reported in error.

You asked "Why are we looking for stains?" and I provided my answer. We don't know if there were stains or not at this point. I did read that those were the actual clothes but it appears that may have been reported in error.

I asked why are we looking for stains in digitally reconstructed photos and making assumptions she had no bowel movement or played in the grass!

http://www.missingkids.com/poster/ncmu/1250459

MOO

Welcome to WS. According to NAMUS these are the only children who have been ruled out thus far:
First Name Last Name Year of Birth State LKA
Shoshana Black 1994 Massachusetts
Gibbs Cassidy 2010 California
Aliya Lunsford 2008 West Virginia
Paula A. Ramerez - Figuroa 2013 California
ayla reynolds 2010 Maine

I wish NAMUS would capitalize Ayla Reynold's name. It's been bugging me since they added her. A minor quibble I know but I feel like she deserves that respect ya know?

ETA: also, Cassidy & Gibbs need to be reversed ... sigh

I wish NAMUS would capitalize Ayla Reynold's name. It's been bugging me since they added her. A minor quibble I know but I feel like she deserves that respect ya know?

I wondered about that, it bugs me too. I'm hoping that given the time that has gone by that they will release a little more info. I think something might be off in the picture or somehow she was a hidden child. Makes no sense that they still don't have a name. :(

Hoping now that neighbors will miss a little one. But it's too easy, IMO, to explain a disappearance (with Dad, visiting grandparents, etc) Must have been someone with little connection to family and possibly transient, or with enough explained time away from the child to date. So sad, I (and I know everyone on here) prays daily for her ID.

Hi,

Longtime lurker at Websleuths, this is my first post but I've been following this case since the start.

Just a couple of not so great thoughts or insights I thought I'd share though.

Firstly regarding the way she was dressed. I'm in England so not sure if it's the same over there but around the time she was discovered we had very warm weather. As others have said if she was napping or even just playing and it was warm she may have removed her shirt. She was only a young child and IMO it is very common for children to remove articles of clothing they find annoying. I know myself and siblings would often run around the garden half dressed in warm weather and it was obviously completely innocent.

With regards to the underwear, if she was potty trained and the leggings were being used as PJ bottoms she may have not worn underwear to bed. Again as a child my mother never dressed us in underwear when we slept. We were in nappies till we were potty trained and then nothing so I don't think it would be necessarily sinister or odd for her to be dressed without underwear. This makes sense to me if she died accidentally/met with foul play while napping or after having gone to bed at night and in a panicked state about ridding themselves of the body she was just abandoned with all she had on at the time. The blanket I think was with her because she was sleeping with it/in close proximity to it at the time or it was deliberately used to help conceal/transport the body or whatever.

My other point with regards to why she hasn't been identified yet is to wonder whether the composite image has been distributed in prisons. If one or more of her parents are incarcerated or other family members who could identity her then it might not be unusual for them to have no updates on her or to see her so again they may not realise what has happened. Also a custodial parent might be behind what's happened and a non-custodial parent, who is allowed little to no contact may not have not connected the dots if they have seen the image or may not even know what their child looks like enough anymore to identify the image.

Excellent idea...prisons and military...someone out of the country on vacation or work assignment...many possibilities of a child being in the care of a caretaker. Also, with school being out, it would be so easy to explain the absence of a child...my community is filled with children not usually here during the year, and absent many of the ones who do live here..

Another possibility is that her family was visiting here from a different country and something happened. No one here would know who she was and it may be too soon for people overseas to know something is seriously wrong.

Interesting theory. I wonder if anyone has run it past LE? And it might be worth hanging posters of Baby Doe in areas frequented by prostitutes, regardless of the possible serial killer involvement.

I agree debirlfan because all too often prostitutes are not reported missing. Many are transient and new to an area and other sex workers don't report a missing person because of this. They just assume the person moved on or they don't report for fear of being arrested themselves. I guess that's why many SK's prey on prostitutes. And sadly, some women are desperate enough to 'work' with their kids present. I love the idea of posters of this baby in areas sex workers frequent.

I doubt this child is a LISK victim. But my profile of him based on research on his movements and the victims remains, is a commercial fisherman/boat owner who migrates up and down the east coast. When I hear of a body found on a beach on the east coast with a manner of disposal similar to some of LISK victims, I would be remiss if I don't mention it as a possibility. IMO, this little girls remains washed up on the beach from being thrown off a boat because it seems a long risky walk to the water in the state park with a baby's body in a trash bag . And she wasn't wearing shoes. Most boat owners I know ask for people to remove their shoes before getting on the boat if they aren't white soled.

Thanks for your reply. All MOO of course!

How do we know this child had no shirt, underpants or shoes? I have read everything I thought. Help?

According to the report that was released, those items were never mentioned as being on Baby Doe.
But that doesn't mean they weren't.
She just as easily could have had on shoes, shirt and undergarments.
LE may just be withholding that info from the public.
IMO

According to the report that was released, those items were never mentioned as being on Baby Doe.
But that doesn't mean they weren't.
She just as easily could have had on shoes, shirt and undergarments.
LE may just be withholding that info from the public.
IMO

Which is LE's prerogative, but if they are depending upon someone to identify her from a computer-generated artist rendition, the answer is apparently NO, no one recognizes her. JMO If there ARE other articles of clothing, they could possibly get more assistance from the public, if that were divulged, in my opinion. JMO

Just had another thought regarding the clothing. Perhaps if Baby Doe had been wearing a top, it might have been removed before her body was left due to evidence. These days people are more aware of forensics and things and maybe the person getting rid of the body was wary of having their DNA on the top for whatever reason. Or the top might have indicated where she was from. If say it was a promotional top advertising a local business or from a children's attraction or whatever or if it was a handmade item that might have triggered somebody's memory more than generic children's clothing from Target. Perhaps the top would have identifiers that even in a panicked state of getting rid of her poor body they were "smart" enough to remove to make her harder to trace. Sorry that came out so jumbled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluestlamb