MA MA - Caleigh Harrison, 2, Rockport, 19 April 2012

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Huh??? No recollection???

That's what confuses me too. She's 4 years old and was playing WITH her sister, from what I understand. Why did she see nothing/remember nothing? At 4 she should be old enough to articulate what she saw.

That's what confuses me too. She's 4 years old and was playing WITH her sister, from what I understand. Why did she see nothing/remember nothing? At 4 she should be old enough to articulate what she saw.

Also, did anyone else at this beach see her???? At all??? We need to know the last independent sighting of her.

Unless she also looked away for a moment. She's 4, something more interesting than her sister probably caught her eye.

Here is a Bing bird's eye view of what I believe is the bridge and the cottage wall that the ball went over. The wall looks high and like it took a bit of effort. Did the mother run around to the front of the house to retrieve the ball? That took a minute or two. Depending on tides and wave activity, it looks like poor Caleigh could have fallen and been swept out from this location.

http://binged.it/HVzelS

If the ball went over that walk, there is no way I would ever leave my girls near the ocean to go fetch it - they would be coming with me!

I think this story is going to have an unhappy ending.

What I don't understand is that some of reports say their mom went over/behind a wall to fetch the ball and other reports say she went into the rough water to find the ball.

I can ASSURE and PROMISE you that unless this ball was made of solid gold, no one on the PLANET would go into the water to fetch a ball. The ocean up here *might* hit 69- or 70 degrees at the end of August after an extended heat wave. Even then it **HURTS** to go in it most of the year. Right now water temps are upper 40s to 50 degrees based on what I see here. http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/AN/250.html

No reasonable person would ever go into water that cold to fetch a ball and then get out soaking wet (at least partially) and continue playing out in the wind on a not-very-warm day when temps right on the beach were 50-something.

I know of what I speak here. I live two towns over from rockport.

I agree with this. In nags head I went in the water to just over my ankle for a 1/2 second. It was like being in a glass of ice. I didnt ge my clothes wet ,and I went in the house for the rest of the day. The wind is also cutting cold coming off the ocean.

From the link, it doesn't sound like she was on the bridge, but on the sand. Am I reading that right? It would be easier for me to understand this child falling off the footbridge and being swept out - but how did she get into the ocean so quick and swept away without the mother or sister seeing? This is all so sad.

They were playing ball near the footbridge between Long Beach and Cape Hedge Beach.

Read more: Coast Guard calls off search for girl lost on Rockport's Long Beach - Rockport, MA - Wicked Local Rockport http://www.wickedlocal.com/gloucest...rl-lost-on-Rockports-Long-Beach#ixzz1sfhsI2lu

What I don't understand is that some of reports say their mom went over/behind a wall to fetch the ball and other reports say she went into the rough water to find the ball.

I can ASSURE and PROMISE you that unless this ball was made of solid gold, no one on the PLANET would go into the water to fetch a ball. The ocean up here *might* hit 69- or 70 degrees at the end of August after an extended heat wave. Even then it **HURTS** to go in it most of the year. Right now water temps are upper 40s to 50 degrees based on what I see here. http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/AN/250.html

No reasonable person would ever go into water that cold to fetch a ball and then get out soaking wet (at least partially) and continue playing out in the wind on a not-very-warm day when temps right on the beach were 50-something.

I know of what I speak here. I live two towns over from rockport.

Whooooa, buddy! That's cold!!! Even for me...and one of my favorite parts of being a college athlete was having access to the ice tub!

Hope this beautiful little girl is found safe. My heart aches for her family.

ok this is bizarre. My friend Karen runs a lot of missing kids fb pages. She talked to a cousin yesterday on facebook and they gave her some pictures to make a missing child facebook page.
By today all other friends and family were on there saying mom was furious about the page and she trying to have the cops arrest my friend for making it. Things got so ugly with comments of hatred for the page creator, my friend gave up trying to share news stories, and deleted the page.
This is the first time I have ever heard of an innocent family being angry about some one's attempt to spread awareness.

ok this is bizarre. My friend Karen runs a lot of missing kids fb pages. She talked to a cousin yesterday on facebook and they gave her some pictures to make a missing child facebook page.
By today all other friends and family were on there saying mom was furious about the page and she trying to have the cops arrest my friend for making it. Things got so ugly with comments of hatred for the page creator, my friend gave up trying to share news stories, and deleted the page.
This is the first time I have ever heard of an innocent family being angry about some one's attempt to spread awareness.

were there nasty comments about the mother being posted? that could be one reason ...

It bothers me greatly that a mother would leave two very young children unattended for two minutes. That is was a narrow beach according to pictures, one known for rough waters and tides, and with the high noise level of a beach that would make it difficult to hear anything from the girls if they needed their mom, well, it really is had to imagine a parent doing that.

If that is what happened, then I know this mother has huge remorse for doing it, but that is quite a long time, relatively speaking, isn't it?

I am curious as to what the older child will say. I'm not sure MSM always gets the facts right, so at this point I am not buying that the 4 year old remembers nothing. You would think that if the mom were going to go after the ball, she would tell the 4 year old to watch after her sister for a sec.

Yeah, my kids are the same ages (+/- 6 months), and I can't fathom leaving them alone anywhere let alone on a beach. :( I get nervous just going out of the house to get the mail for pete's sake. Kids that age -- my 2 year old in particular -- are kamikazes. A four year old usually has SOME sense of personal safety (SOME), but not a 2 year old!

Mine too. I can't say I think she did something to the little girl at this point, but I kind of believe she may have been really really negligent in some way that led to a tragedy.

This is probably crappy of me, but I am kind of judging her by the number of facebook friends I can see that she has (over 730 at the moment... was high 600s a day or two after the girl went missing). I may very well be reading too much into it, but that lets my mind wander to a person spending too much time on their iPhone and too little time watching what's going on with the kids.

PS I don't post often, and I will try to reread the rules here, but if I am saying anything out of place, don't hesitate to give me the smackdown.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trashpandaoutside
Back