GUILTY MA - Colleen Ritzer, 24, brutally murdered, Danvers, 22 Oct 2013 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Julie Manganis ‏@SNJulieManganis 51s52 seconds ago The jurors will get lunch brought in for them today because they are deliberating.

Jill Harmacinski ‏@EagleTribJill 55s56 seconds ago
Lowy going over verdict slip with jurors now, foreperson will fill it out

Julie Manganis ‏@SNJulieManganis 1m1 minute ago
Jurors have option of guilty, guilty lesser offense, not guilty, or not guilty by reason of lack of criminal responsibility.

Jill Harmacinski ‏@EagleTribJill 2m2 minutes ago
#PhilipChism jury is out deliberating

Laurel J. SweetVerified account ‏@Laurel_Sweet 49s49 seconds ago
At 12:45 p.m., the deliberations clock begins

I am sick to my stomach. I hope they return a quick verdict but I have a feeling they won't.

In my cases, the speed in which a jury delivered a verdict didn't have much correlation to the outcome. You never could predict what a long or short deliberation would mean. The shaken baby case which went on for three weeks had a not guilty in four hours, while the gross sexual imposition trial that only took two days had four days of deliberation before a guilty verdict. Juries are so unpredictable.

Elainera, alternate jurors are those jurors who sat through the trial but did not get picked to deliberate. Theysit in the jury box and listen to the entire trial... are on standby, and are used in case one of the deliberating jurors gets sick or something like that (or like in a few trials I have followed, a juror actually gets kicked off during deliberations for some reason) . There are more jurors picked than needed and THEY do not know if they are an alternate that doesn't get to deliberate until the very end. Some states, the attys know who therese are beforehand, but most in US they don't know (attys AND jurors) until the case goes to deliberations. May states have a lottery as to who is picked as an alternate right before they go to deliberations, others, the judge does the picking.

Some cases that are low profile and short trials may have 2-3 alternates.... long jury trials that may lose folks DURING the trial due to causes, may have up to 6-8 ( e.g. Casey Anthoney trial and Jodi Arias trial, where some jurors on BOTH of them were kicked off and if they didn't have more than the 12, they could not continue the trial as they didn't have a full jury.)

Others can chime in to correct me or expound.

HTH

I am worried that the jury might go with mental illness and allow him to go to a hospital. It worries me that he would be released in a year or two, as often happens.

Elainera, alternate jurors are those jurors who sat through the trial but did not get picked to deliberate. Theysit in the jury box and listen to the entire trial... are on standby, and are used in case one of the deliberating jurors gets sick or something like that (or like in a few trials I have followed, a juror actually gets kicked off during deliberations for some reason) . There are more jurors picked than needed and THEY do not know if they are an alternate that doesn't get to deliberate until the very end. Some states, the attys know who therese are beforehand, but most in US they don't know (attys AND jurors) until the case goes to deliberations. May states have a lottery as to who is picked as an alternate right before they go to deliberations, others, the judge does the picking.

Some cases that are low profile and short trials may have 2-3 alternates.... long jury trials that may lose folks DURING the trial due to causes, may have up to 6-8 ( e.g. Casey Anthoney trial and Jodi Arias trial, where some jurors on BOTH of them were kicked off and if they didn't have more than the 12, they could not continue the trial as they didn't have a full jury.)

Others can chime in to correct me or expound.

HTH

That's pretty much it. Each court does things a little different in the number of jurors and whether the attorneys know ahead of time or not the identity of the alternates. Like atthelakesaid, alternates are used for when jurors have to drop out of a trial due to unforeseen circumstances or may be removed for cause. The longer the trial, often the more alternates you will see, just in case. A case cannot go on without a full jury, which is why they always have a few alternates as "backup."

Thank you atthelake and AnaTeresa! I had never heard of that.

I am worried that the jury might go with mental illness and allow him to go to a hospital. It worries me that he would be released in a year or two, as often happens.

I am too. I don't know why but I have a bad feeling. And I don't think PC is criminally insane or can be "cured."

It's my opinion that during this phase of the trial that many lawyers that are for the defence try to mitigate during the charging phase. they're trying to mitigate during this phase for later and know that the jury will not fall for it but they want them not to get the death penalty

I knew this before but it was expanded upon and Nurmi's book about Jodi arias trial. He said he was not trying to get her off at any point in the trial he was just trying to not get her the death penalty during the whole thing even during the first stage ...which was not the penalty stage.

HTH

Bob Ward Fox25Verified account ‏@Bward3 2m2 minutes ago
It is 4pm. Back in Salem Superior Court. We will find out if jury is done for day

Laurel J. SweetVerified account ‏@Laurel_Sweet 2m2 minutes ago
After roughly 3 hours of deliberations, it appears the jury is ready to give it a rest for today. Both #PhilipChism and the families await.

allison manningVerified account ‏@allymanning 2m2 minutes ago
Jury files in. They're stone faced. They'll go home for the night without a verdict. Back at 9am tomorrow

I am too. I would like to believe that the Jury paid proper attention and is educated enough to do the right thing and convict him.

Every time I have seen a post-trial interview of members of a jury, they've said something along the lines of, "we decided xyz within the first fifteen minutes, and just need to talk over <small point> a,b, or c for the remainder of the time we were in deliberations." My prediction is that they have already decided on the matter of insane or not against PC, and that they are just trying to decide on ancillary things, like whether or not the events in the woods fit the legal definition of rape. Hope I'm right.

Jill Harmacinski &#8207;@EagleTribJill 3m3 minutes ago
Now talking about Dr Yael Dvir, who testified about children with psychosis, the focus of her career

"I suggest to you she knows what she's talking about," Regan says

Jill Harmacinski &#8207;@EagleTribJill 2m2 minutes ago
Regan now talks about Dr Jackson, who diagnosed #PhilipChism with psychosis

Bob Ward Fox25Verified account &#8207;@Bward3 3m3 minutes ago
Regan: Dr. Jackson said severely mentally ill teens don't have the best judgement.

Regan: Putting aside delusions, commands, Dr. Jackson saw social withdrawal other symptoms, and treated #PhilipChism

Jackson saw symptoms in #PhilipChism and treated with anti psychotic med, there was a marked change in him she says

Rupa Shenoy &#8207;@RupaShenoy 3m3 minutes ago Salem, MA
Severely mentally ill teenagers don't have the best judgement, Regan says, and #PhilipChism changed after he was medicated.

Bob Ward Fox25Verified account &#8207;@Bward3 4m4 minutes ago
Regan: Dr. Dudley interviewed #PhilipChism seven times over a period of months.

Regan Dr. Dudley spoke to #PhilipChism about his childhood, observed his moods, listened carefully about hallucinations.

#PhilipChism told Dudley he heard voices, Dudley had a nuanced approach, thorough interviews

Regan: Dr. Dudley: didn't take #PhilipChism at his word. But talked to other students, his family, reviewed records

allison manningVerified account &#8207;@allymanning 3m3 minutes ago
Dr. Jackson backed up Dudley's opinion, Regan said. Saw symptoms of psychosis and treated #PhilipChism with an antipsychotic.

Christina Hager &#8207;@HagerWBZ 3m3 minutes ago
Defense: 3 doctors confirmed #PhilipChism's mental illness, not only his claims of command hallucinations, but family history, withdrawal.

Bob Ward Fox25Verified account &#8207;@Bward3 2m2 minutes ago
It is 4pm. Back in Salem Superior Court. We will find out if jury is done for day

Laurel J. SweetVerified account &#8207;@Laurel_Sweet 2m2 minutes ago
After roughly 3 hours of deliberations, it appears the jury is ready to give it a rest for today. Both #PhilipChism and the families await.

allison manningVerified account &#8207;@allymanning 2m2 minutes ago
Jury files in. They're stone faced. They'll go home for the night without a verdict. Back at 9am tomorrow

<BBM for Focus>
Imo, the refusal by Phillip Chism to enter the courtroom at the beginning of court proceedings was only a ruse; a planned and deliberate act to coincide with and reinforce the diagnosis of PC by Dr Dudley and Dr Jackson.

Imo, this may be a good thing that the jurors go home and attempt to sleep on the overwhelming amount of evidence and information digested during the trial. They have endured a very stressful and traumatic day. I am confident that after hearing the closing statements by the prosecution, that they will reach a just verdict of guilty on all counts.

I haven't posted much on this trial but I have been taking it all in.

If I were on the jury I think the video evidence of the backpack, changing clothes, gloves, hoodie, watching to see if anyone saw him going into the bathroom would be the "thing" that sealed it for me. I see premeditation, a great deal of planning and forethought, an ability to "try" to cover his horrible deed and with all of this the knowledge that he planned it, and knew it was wrong. No amount of experts could convince me otherwise.

There is always something mentally wrong with a person who could or would do what was done to Colleen Ritzer but psychotic and not knowing right from wrong is not the picture I see here.

The evidence of malingering was strong and I believed it.

This, of course, is MOO. I hope he goes to jail for the rest of his life and never sees the light of day. He is EVIL and if given the opportunity would do it again.

Bob Ward Fox25Verified account &#8207;@Bward3 2m2 minutes ago

Laurel J. SweetVerified account &#8207;@Laurel_Sweet 2m2 minutes ago

allison manningVerified account &#8207;@allymanning 2m2 minutes ago

Just wanted to thank you for posting all of the tweets, links, etc., greatly appreciate your dedication to this case, jacct.

It's my opinion that during this phase of the trial that many lawyers that are for the defence try to mitigate during the charging phase. they're trying to mitigate during this phase for later and know that the jury will not fall for it but they want them not to get the death penalty

I knew this before but it was expanded upon and Nurmi's book about Jodi arias trial. He said he was not trying to get her off at any point in the trial he was just trying to not get her the death penalty during the whole thing even during the first stage ...which was not the penalty stage.

HTH

Philip Chism's case is not a capital murder case. We don't have the death penalty here.

Even if the state had the death penalty, he would not get it due to his age. He also will have a chance at parole at some point because of his age. I think he should never get out.

I'm watching the defense closing - not very good IMHO. Her delivery is not very compelling.

Prosecution opened very strongly. I expected more hysteria based on the tweets. I hear passion and conviction. Great job of pointing out the shortcomings of the defense mental health experts. Shredded Dudley. Also good job pointing out how normal he seemed to be in TN.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knewborn96
Back