MA - Conrad Roy, 18, urged by friend, commits suicide, Fairhaven, 13 July 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
SMH. Just like she was the one brainwashed right? insert eyeroll.

I find this whole case abhorrent. This girl took information that her boyfriend was mentally ill and, instead of reporting it to someone, she not only entertained his suicidal ideation but positively encouraged it. We will never know if he would have committed suicide if she hadn't been cheering him on but it certainly couldn't have helped. It's positively evil.

Unfortunately, I am sure we dont know as much about Conrad as we do about Carter in some respects, but my perspective is that he expected her to rescue him in the end. Just like the time before when he confided in a female friend and she urgently sought help for him and ultimately saved him perhaps. Not so much with Carter-she gave him every reason to believe that he should make the very complicated attempt and then she refused to save him. Beyond that she manipulated his family while knowing that he was dying in a truck in a fixed location that she knew about. In the end and even now I believe this was all about her.

Unfortunately, I am sure we dont know as much about Conrad as we do about Carter in some respects, but my perspective is that he expected her to rescue him in the end. Just like the time before when he confided in a female friend and she urgently sought help for him and ultimately saved him perhaps. Not so much with Carter-she gave him every reason to believe that he should make the very complicated attempt and then she refused to save him. Beyond that she manipulated his family while knowing that he was dying in a truck in a fixed location that she knew about. In the end and even now I believe this was all about her.

Believe, this is a good insight. I think that people who have decided to end it just do it. Often they leave people confused because they seem to be doing better in their lives, and then suddenly they take their life. This is because they are then at peace and decisive.

Someone making repeated failed attempts are usually pleading for help in that way. He was only making an attempt as evidenced by his documented hesitation, especially getting out of the truck. He was trying to survive and hoping in her to do the right thing that he was unable to do.

I firmly believe that had she ended the phone call he would have gotten out again and breathed some clean air. If she had simply ended her effort to see him dead, and not even calling for help, he would have saved himself.

Doing NOTHING would have saved him but she stuck with it even staying with him as he cried out in pain after she told him it was painless.

MOO

I would also like to point out that we have no idea what the conversation was for the phone calls surrounding his death. Frankly, we dont know whether or not she told him she would have him saved.

This teen disgusts me. I never say I hate someone, but this time I have to make an exception. I hate her. There! I got it off my chest!

I feel so sorry for the loss Conrad's family is facing. I really wish he had got the right guidance and shined beautiful in this world. Sigh...
How much more evil exists in this world? There seems no end to it

Dare I say "Woo Hoo"? :happydance: :great:

I'll dance to that as well. We need to show teens that this is not acceptable. I wonder if she has started grief counseling sessions for the failed dedication of her trying to save his life.

I heard Disney World vacations can be very therapeutic. But I don't think it will help her prove past remorse during the penalty phase when and if that time comes around. Jmo.

I think this should put her defense on notice. The heart of the case is the 45 minute phone call and her own words to her friend that indicate she intentionally instructed him to get back in. Even if you dont take the totality of the texts before and after Conrad died, the heart of the matter was what she believed the outcome would be of him sitting in his truck with a generator running and listening to him die.

Game. Set. Match.

Cue the mental defect filing....

It really upsets me to see "free speech" invoked.

Carter’s attorney says her text messages to Roy were free speech – noting that encouragingCarter’s attorney says her text messages to Roy were free speech – noting that encouraging someone to commit suicide is not illegal under Massachusetts law.

There is a HUGE difference between "encouraging" and "nagging and badgering" someone. I'm not sure how this will play out, but it's an issue that needs to be addressed. JMO

Here is an interesting analysis.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/is-it-a...setts-case-of-conrad-roy-and-michelle-carter/

Judge rules teenager who encouraged her boyfriend's suicide with text messages can face involuntary manslaughter charge

In her ruling, Borders cited records that prosecutors say show Carter, then 17, was on the phone with Roy for about 45 minutes while he was inhaling carbon monoxide, heard him moaning and yet did not call 911.

The judge also cited text messages Carter sent in which she told Roy to get back into his truck when he became afraid.

According to court documents, the pair had sat on the phone for more than an hour as Roy sat in his truck while carbon monoxide filled the vehicle.

Borders wrote: ‘The grand jury could find probable cause that her failure to act within the 45 minutes, as well as her instruction to the victim to get back into the truck after he got out of the truck, caused the victim's death.’

Her next court appearance is scheduled for Nov. 30 in Taunton Juvenile Court.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3246808/Judge-OKs-manslaughter-count-against-teen-encouraged-boyfriend-s-suicide-text-messages.html

There is precedent against the free speech argument although I guess it was a given that Cataldo would attempt it.

I realize that I have passion for this case-it is so outrageous. The idea that a thinking person could attempt to defend such morally indefensible actions using "free speech" and "encouraging suicide is not a crime" boggles my mind. That seven page ruling was very very encouraging. It laid out for me the strength of the prosecution's case within the confines of the law and showed the heart of the matter. Within the letter of the law, her actions and lack of action show why the felony charge is appropriate. imvho.

I think if you step back and take a look at everything before and after, she qualifies for an even more serious charge but the DA's office is being smart and they have focused in on the charge that may be virtually unbeatable when this goes to trial next month.

I wonder if she has the capacity for fear at this point. I wonder if she has been so bubble wrapped that she truly believes that she will skate on this.

The irony is that she built the foundation of the case against herself with her very own words. She essentially built her own cage-I hope she has a chance to think about that for a very long time. Her texts to Conrad, her phone records and her texts to her friends are the noose she fashioned for herself. smh.

There is precedent against the free speech argument although I guess it was a given that Cataldo would attempt it.

I realize that I have passion for this case-it is so outrageous. The idea that a thinking person could attempt to defend such morally indefensible actions using "free speech" and "encouraging suicide is not a crime" boggles my mind. That seven page ruling was very very encouraging. It laid out for me the strength of the prosecution's case within the confines of the law and showed the heart of the matter. Within the letter of the law, her actions and lack of action show why the felony charge is appropriate. imvho.

I think if you step back and take a look at everything before and after, she qualifies for an even more serious charge but the DA's office is being smart and they have focused in on the charge that may be virtually unbeatable when this goes to trial next month.

I wonder if she has the capacity for fear at this point. I wonder if she has been so bubble wrapped that she truly believes that she will skate on this.
Believe, do you have a link to the full ruling? I've only found snippets in the media reports and I'd love to read it as well.

Agreed. I think where the argument of free speech stops is the fact that she was on the phone with him while he was dying - it was not just texting words.

"According to court documents, the pair had sat on the phone for more than an hour as Roy sat in his truck while carbon monoxide filled the vehicle."

Agreed. I think where the argument of free speech stops is the fact that she was on the phone with him while he was dying - it was not just texting words.

"According to court documents, the pair had sat on the phone for more than an hour as Roy sat in his truck while carbon monoxide filled the vehicle."

Essssssactly. She could have stopped him then. But she murdered him by inaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely! Beyond nagging him to commit suicide, not stopping him/actively seeking help, she hindered his family from trying to find him and told him they wouldn't miss him and they'd get over it!!! She is evil, she wanted him to die- she brainwashed him into going through with it, otherwise, if it weren't for her, he'd probably still be alive. This boy just wanted help for his depression. It was all about her.

Believe, do you have a link to the full ruling? I've only found snippets in the media reports and I'd love to read it as well.

I would love to read it as well. I cant seem to find it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman