GUILTY MA - Darlene Haynes, 23, slain, fetus cut from womb, Worcester, 23 July 2009

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I understand the posts above me are discussing the possibility that the perp knew how to perform a c-section, and possibly knew this from either educating herself and/ or having viewed one performed on herself.

This was not a successful C-section. The Mother was killed. In my own mind that the baby was not killed is just a miracle, honestly.

I see this as a violent assault upon the Mother and on the child. We don't know the extent of the wounds that the Mother received or if she was still alive during the assault to take the child from her womb.

Any autopsy reports as of yet?

I don't see this perp as plotting a C-Section (as we think of C-Sections). I see this as an assault whereby the Mother's life was not even a consideration. And even though the end result was probably to have possesion of the Baby, if that baby had died during the attack or shortly after having been taken from the Mother's womb ~ the baby would have been disposed of without a thought given. Then the next pregnant woman in the perp's sights would have been the target.

JMHO.

I searched for updates this morning and did not find an autopsy report however found two articles of interest from her uncle and lawyer. In the uncle's article, he thanks Ms. Corey for taking care of the baby and keeping it alive sparing DH's family from more grief. The baby to be named Sheila, is presently in Protective Services until custody arrangements are finalized. First link is by the lawyer representing Ms. Corey and the 2nd is a statement by Darlene Hayne's uncle.

http://www.telegram.com/article/20090731/NEWS/907319991

http://www.telegram.com/article/20090730/NEWS/907309975

Custody in Worcester Womb Case Involves Local Family

Finally, Karl and Beverley Whitney: They are the uncle and aunt of Darlene Haynes. Inside their Breckenridge Street home in Palmer, are several other kids, some special needs. Several were adopted by the family. It's proof, their lawyer says, that makes them the prime candidates for the baby.

http://www.cbs3springfield.com/news/local/52722272.html

From link in Bluesky#1's post 162 (comment by uncle):

Asked if he had any anger at Ms. Corey, Mr. Whitney acknowledged that she may have just lost a child she was pregnant with, and that she may have had emotional issues to deal with. He also said that police have not identified her as Darlene Haynes' killer.

“Like in other cases before it, the case of Julie Corey is a sad thing,” he said. “It has emotional issues with it that I, as a man, could never understand. I saw the highs and lows of my own wife when she was pregnant. There are strong emotions. I'm on two sides of the fence on the matter.

“I don't want to say anything too soon. I don't know if she killed Darlene. She is only charged with kidnapping. If she didn't, I want to know why she took the baby.

“I am grateful that she took care of the baby and nourished it. I'm grateful that she kept her alive. If she hadn't, this would have had a sadder ending.”

Just want to tape shut my cynical side and believe 100% that this man is as good as his words and actions.

"The State wants custody too but DSS has been tight-lipped throughout the case and now it's been impounded...that means all details from here on out won't be public".

Perhaps this is why we weren't given access to the autopsy report. This is disappointing news.

I believe Ms. Corey's actions prove she had faith she could deliver this child alive. It is possible DH had a previous C-section since this was her fourth pregnancy, so all Ms. Corey had to do was reopen the scar. I googled C-section and watched an illustration of the procedure and it really is quite simple. Considering DH's limited cognitive skills, I cannot understand why she was allowed to live independently without daily living support from a community mental health centre. I am appaled to learn that altho the landlord was legally justified in evicting DH because she was incapable of complying with health and safety standards, he was literally leaving an 8-month old woman homeless without feeling any remorse for his actions. I feel he should have contacted DH's social worker and demanded help for her. I suspect Ms. Corey heard DH had received an eviction notice for the beginning of the month and therefore she adjusted her schedule to carry out her plot before DH moved out of the building.

Because Darlene's Aunt and Uncle who are well known by Darlene and her 3 children are said to be the most suitable candidates to take custody of baby Sheila, I do not share this opinion because they saw the tragic circumstances under which Darlene was living and they did not seek help for her. IMO Darlene was incapable of living independently and she should have been living in either a special needs group home or living independently with the support of a community health worker / nurse and on some form of birth control. DH's personal needs were never assessed adequately and she was left alone to rot in despair and no one gave a dam.

Mass. woman charged with murder in womb-cut case

BOSTON (AP) -- A woman who authorities believe faked her own pregnancy was charged Thursday with killing her pregnant friend, cutting her baby girl from her womb and kidnapping the infant.

Julie Corey, 35, was initially charged with kidnapping after authorities found her and the 4-pound girl in a homeless shelter in Plymouth, N.H., in July. On Thursday, a Worcester County grand jury returned indictments charging Corey with both kidnapping and murder.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CUT_FROM_WOMB?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

Here is the article I linked to (after reading through this thread I see the necessity for putting the entire article here for posterity)

Trial to begin for Worcester woman accused of killing pregnant woman, cutting fetus from womb

By Gary V. Murray TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
gmurray@telegram.com

10 comments | Add a comment

WORCESTER— More than four years after she allegedly killed a pregnant friend, cut the fetus from the woman's womb and tried to pass the newborn off as her own, the murder trial for Julie Corey is about to get underway.

Jury selection is scheduled to begin Thursday in Worcester Superior Court for Ms. Corey's trial in the slaying of 23-year-old Darlene Haynes, whose body was discovered July 27, 2009, in her apartment at 94 Southgate St. <modsnip>

I've always wanted to watch a trial in person. I may have to see about getting over to the court house to check it out.

Day 7 live blog:http://www.masslive.com/news/worces...ml#incart_river#incart_m-rpt-2#incart_m-rpt-2

I really dislike following a trial and not being able to see it with my own eyes. It seems very plausible that Darlene's boyfriend "Tito" could have done this and given the baby to Julie Corey. From what I'm understanding he had taken out a marriage license shortly before Darlene was murdered. It seems like he would have had a motive to get rid of her. The defense is doing very good.

I'm undecided at this point.

Day 7 live blog:http://www.masslive.com/news/worces...ml#incart_river#incart_m-rpt-2#incart_m-rpt-2

I really dislike following a trial and not being able to see it with my own eyes. It seems very plausible that Darlene's boyfriend "Tito" could have done this and given the baby to Julie Corey. From what I'm understanding he had taken out a marriage license shortly before Darlene was murdered. It seems like he would have had a motive to get rid of her. The defense is doing very good.

I'm undecided at this point.

I'm with you on trying to make decisions without seeing the actual testimony. I have also been following the blog and I think there was a lot lacking in LE evidence procuring and processing. However, would a man know about tying umbilical cords? Just something to think about as Julie already had given birth a few times. This is another sad situation that I hope can be resolved . I am sure Julie had a part in this but probably not alone . I'll be following along with you.

I didn't know Julie gave birth a few times.
Did Darlene deliver her other children by Cesarean? If so, she would have a scar on her stomach showing the person(s) who stole her baby exactly where to cut her.
Since you mentioned that the umbilical cord was tied, maybe Julie and the baby's father committed the crime together. If 'Tito' was involved in Darlene's murder, can he be charged with first degree murder?

I have been checking daily for MSM reports on this case but haven't found any and Nancy Grace hasn't mentioned this case since the jury was selected and the trial began
so I appreciate your comments.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alblake
Back