GUILTY MA - Doctors Richard Field, 49, & Lina Bolanos, 38, slain, Boston, 5 May 2017 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Concerning how Teixeira got into the building and the apartment, the Boston Herald reported this new detail:

"Asked if Teixeira may have acquired a master key to the victims’ unit and if he had aprior position at a sister building, Conley said, “This is very early on in the investigation, and we are looking into that possibility ... about any type of employment that he may have had.”"

Conley is local district attorney, Daniel F. Conley.

If LE had info that suspect was armed shooting in the leg would not have stopped him from firing on LE. Jmo

When the police entered the apartment, it was completely dark. They saw Teixeira inside, and already had info to the effect that he was armed. I could easily imagine a scenario in which Teixeira disobeyed the cops' order to freeze. At that point, it's perfectly justified, I think, for the police to have shot Teixeira in the leg, just to incapacitate him. In that split second, the other police possibly perceived the first shot as an indication that Teixeira must have been armed, and that's why they opened fire.

Again, in my view -- given the circumstances -- the cops showed good judgment in choosing to shoot. Keep in mind that Teixeira may have been both homicidal and suicidal, and desirous of getting himself shot down if he couldn't make a clean escape. He could very have lunged at the police, for all we know. And Teixeira was subsequently found in possession of deadly weapons (which he had used to butcher two people at the scene).

That the apartment was completely dark is a key factor here.

This sounds personal to me, the cutting of pictures, the retribution writing on the wall, etc. What I dont understand is Richard Field sending a text message. What was the killer doing during that time? Why not run out and either scream or pull the fire alarm or call 911 who would come to the apartment even if someone(the killer) had hung up....

As to how the killer got upstairs is really secondary as it is known he was there

It cost a lot of money to maintain an extravagant life style, penthouse, travel, jewellery etc.. maybe they did a little "business" on the side and they did not keep their end of the bargain.....
Regarding their lifestyles, I'm sure they made plenty of money to afford it in their regular jobs. Anesthesiology is especially lucrative. I highly doubt they were doing anything on the side.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Just looking at her FB page, I do not see any connections at all to any Portuguese people.
Thanks for checking. It looks like this possibility (meeting via Portuguese events) is less likely.

Both doctors worked in the Boston area. Lina was employed at a prestigious downtown hospital. Richard worked at a pain management clinic (which he helped to establish) on the outskirts of Boston.

Aside from that, both doctors were foreign born; she was from Colombia and he was England. Looks like they did their residencies and early career positions in several US cities. But they were established in Boston for the the past decade or so.

If LE had info that suspect was armed shooting in the leg would not have stopped him from firing on LE. Jmo

Actually, he was shot in the leg, arm, and stomach. But all appearances it looks like LE was trying to take him down, not kill him.

When the police entered the apartment, it was completely dark. They saw Teixeira inside, and already had info to the effect that he was armed. I could easily imagine a scenario in which Teixeira disobeyed the cops' order to freeze. At that point, it's perfectly justified, I think, for the police to have shot Teixeira in the leg, just to incapacitate him. In that split second, the other police possibly perceived the first shot as an indication that Teixeira must have been armed, and that's why they opened fire.

Again, in my view -- given the circumstances -- the cops showed good judgment in choosing to shoot. Keep in mind that Teixeira may have been both homicidal and suicidal, and desirous of getting himself shot down if he couldn't make a clean escape. He could very have lunged at the police, for all we know. And Teixeira was subsequently found in possession of deadly weapons (which he had used to butcher two people at the scene).

That the apartment was completely dark is a key factor here.
It's not whether the cops had the right to shoot him in the leg. It boils down to whether the cops had the right to shoot him at all.
It's too early to know what happened exactly, however, there are very clear laws that determine when cops can/can not use excessive/deadly force. Shooting someone regardless if they live or die, is considered using "deadly force."
(Tennessee v. Garner)

Snipped:
Again, in my view -- given the circumstances -- the cops showed good judgment in choosing to shoot. Keep in mind that Teixeira may have been both homicidal and suicidal, and desirous of getting himself shot down if he couldn't make a clean escape.

The choice whether to shoot someone has to be determined by a reasonable officer on the scene at the time, and not determined or evaluated through 20/20 hindsight.
(Graham v. Conner)

Whether this guy had a weapon in his hand at the time he was shot may play an important role in this case, along with if he was trying to flee, because as ironic as it may seem, he can sue the Police Dept. for his bodily injuries.
I am not disagreeing that LE wasn't justified in shooting at all. What I am saying is there is protocol as to when they can and can't.

You are right.
Cops are trained to shoot to kill for reasons you posted.
The objection is to neutralize the threat.

You are right.
Cops are trained to shoot to kill for reasons you posted.
The objection is to neutralize the threat.

Exactly, LE either didn't have a good visual or they should spend more time at the range. Jmo

No police or military organization that I know of trains with the notion that shooting to maim is OK.

Not a good idea if you are looking to live another day...

Snipped:
Again, in my view -- given the circumstances -- the cops showed good judgment in choosing to shoot. Keep in mind that Teixeira may have been both homicidal and suicidal, and desirous of getting himself shot down if he couldn't make a clean escape.

The choice whether to shoot someone has to be determined by a reasonable officer on the scene at the time, and not determined or evaluated through 20/20 hindsight.
(Graham v. Conner)

Yes, you have a point. But I was suggesting that Teixeira -- in a totally dark apartment after committing two murders -- may have been deliberately provoking the police to fire, hoping to get himself killed. Just a theory. If so, then he could have given LE a valid reason to feel threatened, thus justifying their shooting. I base my speculation entirely on what's reported in today's Boston Herald. Here's what the paper wrote:

"And in a rare public rebuke, Conley called statements by Evans that Bampumim “JJ” Teixeira, 30, shot at responding officers from a darkened hallway “inaccurate.” Evans made the comment at the crime scene late Friday night.

Conley attributed the blunder to a scene that was “very large and chaotic,” and said police officers were responding to reports of an armed intruder.

“The officers believed that this assailant either pointed or fired a weapon at them, in this dark hallway, and as a result they discharged their own firearms,” Conley said."

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/lo...edia_reports_police_commissioner_s_account_of

So, that's what the cops were confronted with at the moment they saw Teixeira in the dark. And, of course, we all know about the bizarre text Teixeira had previously sent his girlfriend, informing that he didn't expect to live long. I'm putting two and two together here, and theorizing what Teixeira's impulse was at the moment he came face-to-face with the cops.

Concerning how Teixeira got into the building and the penthouse -- the so-called $64,000 question -- this info was recently reported by NBC.

"Since the murders of doctors Richard Field and Lina Bolanos inside their penthouse condo in the Macallen Building in South Boston on Friday, NBC Boston has learned that suspect Bampumim Teixeira worked as a concierge for Palladion Security Services at the Macallen property for approximately three weeks between October 2015 and April 2016.

Palladion says background and reference checks on Teixeira came back clean.

A resident of the Macallen Building confirmed that the concierge security guards do have a master set of keys to the condo units.

That tenant told us Palladion was replaced by Highbridge Concierge in February after concerns over management’s ability to properly train the security staff.

But the resident said the new security company never changed the keys or fobs, and kept some of Palladion’s security personnel on staff inside the two buildings."

http://www.nbcboston.com/news/local...ctors-Were-Loving-Vital-People-421731163.html

BBM
This seems way out there too, but after you and OP had mentioned "entitlement", I got to thinking about where he was from. He came here from one of the poorest regions of the world. While being poor is no excuse for murdering someone, I did a little reading b/c the region he is from, has been rather disrupted, and in upheaval. Children raised in war, and upheaval, will sometimes have a different view of the world. Still, a person knows right from wrong.

[FONT=&amp]
http://www.everyculture.com/Ge-It/Guinea-Bissau.html

He came here in his 20s. I wonder how accurate the information from everyculture.com, is, and how, growing up in that time period, affected him, and/or his view of the wealthy (if at all)? Just thinking, out of curiosity. After learning of the falling out with his aunt, it kind of makes me wonder where she is... If he perceived some sort of slight from the wealthy doctors it could have been brewing awhile and just snowballed. I keep coming back to the "words of retribution" that make me think this was directed squarely toward the doctors. Retribution is a punishment inflicted on someone as vengeance for a wrong or criminal act. Then again, maybe he was angry in general, and just picked them that night, to vent his anger. He told his ex-gf that he was not a good person.

http://heavy.com/news/2017/05/bampu...-facebook-lina-bolanos-richard-field-southie/

[/FONT]

Very interesting info. I read the stuff in your links. I didn't know that there was war in Guinea-Bissau as recently as 1998. Teixeira may have lived through that as a child.

(Not that I am feeling any sympathy for him.)

This case keeps puzzling me. I wish they'd release the video from onsite at the apt. building, or the interviews with the night shift concierge, etc... too. I had thought we had read that both victims had been tied up. How did he text in his final moments? Now they say that the initial gunfire came from an officer who shot at BT, in the darkened apt., then other officers followed suit, thinking it was the assailant firing at them. Not that I'm feeling sympathy for BT, but in hindsight, in a darkened apt, it may be possible to mistake the victim for the assailant (who was alive and able to text at one point). We don't know the circumstances, b/c we weren't there, and I'm sure it was intense, but this whole thing is, truly, both horrific, and weird. I even wondered, like OP, how long he'd been in there since they'd cancelled dinner plans with friends. Another off the wall thought, but what if he was hired to kill the doctors, and make it look like a robbery?

[FONT=&quot]But late Monday, Conley said Teixeira did not shoot at police.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Conley said police were sent to the building after Field, in his final moments of life, texted a friend to report "a gunman in the house."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He said police entered the apartment and were confronted by Teixeira. He said police - in the darkened apartment - believed Teixeira either pointed or fired a gun at them. Authorities now believe that one officer responded by firing his weapon, then other officers also fired their guns.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Conley said police found a BB gun or a "replica gun" inside a backpack in the apartment.[/FONT]
http://www.kswo.com/story/35365290/da-suspect-in-doctors-slaying-did-not-shoot-at-police

http://www.kswo.com/story/35365290/da-suspect-in-doctors-slaying-did-not-shoot-at-police

Very interesting info. I read the stuff in your links. I didn't know that there was war in Guinea-Bissau as recently as 1998. Teixeira may have lived through that as a child.

(Not that I am feeling any sympathy for him.)

He was born in Guinea-Bissau and raised in Cape Verde. Don't know anything about Cape Verde, though.

I am curious as to how long Dr. Field had lived in or owned his penthouse. Did he live there when perp was employed at the building?
:confused:

The doctors bought their condo in 2013. Teixeira worked there for three weeks sometime between October 2015 and April 2016. At that point in time, he may have possessed a master key to the doctors' condo.

That's what media is reporting. See my links (in prior posts) for the specifics.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missingjustice89
Back