Found Deceased MA - Henry Bedard, 15, found murdered, Swampscott, 16 Dec 1974

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
evidence to Bode Technology. Bode identified the best way to sample clothing that had been found in challenging, wet and cold environments

Thank you for this site, good place to use IF they had any DNA evidence, i believe they only have a bat?

evidence to Bode Technology. Bode identified the best way to sample clothing that had been found in challenging, wet and cold environments

Thank you for this site, good place to use IF they had any DNA evidence, i believe they only have a bat?
There could be something on the bat. Tricia who runs this site was scheduled to have the man from Orthom Labs on her YouTube channel the other night but he is going to reschedule. It is worth to reach out as he works with very degraded DNA. I had read about the case before but I never heard about the coach and don't recognize initials. I do remember name of mayor.

There could be something on the bat. Tricia who runs this site was scheduled to have the man from Orthom Labs on her YouTube channel the other night but he is going to reschedule. It is worth to reach out as he works with very degraded DNA. I had read about the case before but I never heard about the coach and don't recognize initials. I do remember name of mayor.

I was thinking of the bat, but if it's been kept and handled over the years without any eye to preserving and isolating DNA evidence, in addition to degradation it could be very highly contaminated.

I was thinking of the bat, but if it's been kept and handled over the years without any eye to preserving and isolating DNA evidence, in addition to degradation it could be very highly contaminated.
I think the lab is the only one who would know if they could help now. If not now the technology is always improving with degraded DNA so there is hope.

What you described is my understanding. I have read and was told that bat was handled but many people and stored without any thought to preserving DNA. I do not know enough about the intricacies of DNA technology and preserving samples so I have no idea if the latest testing methods would help, though I have heard that the bat has not provided any useful DNA for the way it was handled, by numerous people, and the way it was stored.

bat was handled but many people and stored without any thought to preserving DNA. I do not know enough about the intricacies of DNA technology and preserving samples so I have no idea if the latest testing methods would help, though I have heard that the bat has not provided any useful DNA for the way it was handled, by numerous people, and the way it was stored.
That's sad, if that's all they have then this avenue is not one to travel down. IF they had any blood, anything to help with this case, but it doesn't seem so. :(

What you described is my understanding. I have read and was told that bat was handled but many people and stored without any thought to preserving DNA. I do not know enough about the intricacies of DNA technology and preserving samples so I have no idea if the latest testing methods would help, though I have heard that the bat has not provided any useful DNA for the way it was handled, by numerous people, and the way it was stored.

Hello,

refresh my memory, was Henry’s wallet found at the scene? I recall some money was taken? If yes, and the wallet was kept in evidence, could DNA be pulled? If no wallet, then forget my query.

Hello,

refresh my memory, was Henry’s wallet found at the scene? I recall some money was taken? If yes, and the wallet was kept in evidence, could DNA be pulled? If no wallet, then forget my query.
The wallet is a good point. I have never heard anyone mention the wallet as far as DNA testing.
It's been reported and as far as I know never disputed, that a wallet, along with a CVS bag and items such as the perfume bottle, was spotted by some boys the afternoon of the murder. This is how they eventually found Henry's body, which was partially covered in leaves, when they went back the next day to hunt around for the wallet and items.
I am not sure if the wallet was handled and cared for like the bat, but I have never heard LE or media mention anything about testing the wallet. It makes me wonder now if they even still have it.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed> I think it was one person only because that $10,000 for a reward back then would have possibly been enticing enough to get anyone else to come forward who may have know something or been a part of it. Don't you think that if it was more than 1 person they would have known by now? So many unsolved cases do get pushed aside but it's good that we are still adding some ideas even though they may be just a hunch.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>I think it was one person only because that $10,000 for a reward back then would have possibly been enticing enough to get anyone else to come forward who may have know something or been a part of it. Don't you think that if it was more than 1 person they would have known by now? So many unsolved cases do get pushed aside but it's good that we are still adding some ideas even though they may be just a hunch.
I would agree and have thought the same about if it was more than 1-person it would have leaked out, or if it was someone in his friend group one of his friends would have known, etc. but look at the 1969 15 yr old John McCabe murder which was kept a secret by 3-people for 41 years.
Back in the day I thought it was probably a bad stranger/stalker, then when we found out about unknown perps/pedophiles hiding in communities and preying on kids I thought that was a likely suspect, but with this discussion and thinking about it, the location, etc., I do think running into a situation that got out of hand with 1 or few older kids is more likely.
RIP Henry.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

I know the general area but I have not been through those woods. I lived on the North Shore near a wooded area and I had a frightening experience in Oct or Nov prior to Henry's death. I remember it was late on a Sunday afternoon. I had gone for a walk and I decided to take an unusual path home which would cut through woods and end up at the back of my home. I crossed paths with a man in his 20s or early 30s facing a small pond. I think we both surprised each other. He glared at me. I just turned and ran for my life. I am certain I had heard of this man before. He once worked at the same business as my Dad, and I know my father thought he was a whackadoodle. He was wearing a cloak or cape when I saw him. I recall my father said the man thought he was dracula. I don't know how he would get to my area. I heard of him again as hanging around inner city common. I did not tell anyone. My Dad had passed shortly before this encounter. I feel bad in a way bringing this up. I never knew his name. I know there must have been a psychiatric condition. His glare was threatening but that was it. It scares me to think things could have gone a different way. It is possible Henry took a different route to avoid someone. I was avoiding a neighbor's aggressive german shepherd who previously tried to bite me. I also used to avoid passing an old lady's house because she would run out with a list of things I could buy for her at store. Now I wonder if I should report this or delete the post. I think this guy lived closer to Henry than me. He likely had access to car if he worked where my father did which was off 128 North.

I know the general area but I have not been through those woods. I lived on the North Shore near a wooded area and I had a frightening experience in Oct or Nov prior to Henry's death. I remember it was late on a Sunday afternoon. I had gone for a walk and I decided to take an unusual path home which would cut through woods and end up at the back of my home. I crossed paths with a man in his 20s or early 30s facing a small pond. I think we both surprised each other. He glared at me. I just turned and ran for my life. I am certain I had heard of this man before. He once worked at the same business as my Dad, and I know my father thought he was a whackadoodle. He was wearing a cloak or cape when I saw him. I recall my father said the man thought he was dracula. I don't know how he would get to my area. I heard of him again as hanging around inner city common. I did not tell anyone. My Dad had passed shortly before this encounter. I feel bad in a way bringing this up. I never knew his name. I know there must have been a psychiatric condition. His glare was threatening but that was it. It scares me to think things could have gone a different way. It is possible Henry took a different route to avoid someone. I was avoiding a neighbor's aggressive german shepherd who previously tried to bite me. I also used to avoid passing an old lady's house because she would run out with a list of things I could buy for her at store. Now I wonder if I should report this or delete the post. I think this guy lived closer to Henry than me. He likely had access to car if he worked where my father did which was off 128 North.
....."It is possible Henry took a different route to avoid someone."......
Your experience sounds scary but I doubt Henry went up there to avoid someone. Henry went out of his way home and off the main street(s) to go up to this small, out of the way wooded area, which was not a short-cut home.

....."It is possible Henry took a different route to avoid someone."......
Your experience sounds scary but I doubt Henry went up there to avoid someone. Henry went out of his way home and off the main street(s) to go up to this small, out of the way wooded area, which was not a short-cut home.

JMO, it's plausible. He could have been accosted by some bullies driving by as he walked home or perhaps he ran into them at the shopping plaza. Maybe they followed him in their car and taunted him. The hike up the hill via SV might have been an alternative for him to get off the main street and get home by the side streets. Just a thought.

JMO, it's plausible. He could have been accosted by some bullies driving by as he walked home or perhaps he ran into them at the shopping plaza. Maybe they followed him in their car and taunted him. The hike up the hill via SV might have been an alternative for him to get off the main street and get home by the side streets. Just a thought.
The more I think of it, Henry running into someone he knew, not necessarily a close friend(s) but kids he knew, while out shopping or on the way home is the most likely scenario.
This road, Rte. 1A/Paradise Road is the main road that runs from Lynn to Salem directly thru the town, so it was very heavily traveled by car, on bike, on foot, by bus, etc. Many families and kids lived off that road. The shopping center he was at was a popular area as well.
Good point in that he may have gone up that way to dodge someone. I hadn't considered that. I think more likely is he had agreed to meet some kids up there for whatever reason, such as a good looking or popular older high school girl would be there, to smoke a cigarette or some pot, have a beer, etc.
Though your point is valid in that he could have gone up there to give some bullies the slip.

IMO the route Henry walked was a shortcut, but not one he regularly took. The weather was crappy that day -- maybe he just wanted to beat the rain. Or, taking him at face value, he wanted to beat his sister home so he could wrap her present.

IMO the route Henry walked was a shortcut, but not one he regularly took. The weather was crappy that day -- maybe he just wanted to beat the rain. Or, taking him at face value, he wanted to beat his sister home so he could wrap her present.
Growing up <1/2 mile from there, IMO it was not a short-cut. I had heard it reported as a short cut at times, which did not make sense to me, and then I finally read where his sister stated in one of the articles that it was not a short-cut, so in her opinion Henry veered off and went up there for a reason, which had always been my take.
Though either way, it does not seem to have been a common place for Henry to cut-thru or hang out in. It has been mentioned multiple times by his family and his best friend that they searched together for him that night including the woods, parks, etc. where they thought he could have went. His best friend who helped search grew up <1/4 mi from there and they did not think to look up there so it makes me think it was not common at all to go up there.

Growing up <1/2 mile from there, IMO it was not a short-cut. I had heard it reported as a short cut at times, which did not make sense to me, and then I finally read where his sister stated in one of the articles that it was not a short-cut, so in her opinion Henry veered off and went up there for a reason, which had always been my take.
Though either way, it does not seem to have been a common place for Henry to cut-thru or hang out in. It has been mentioned multiple times by his family and his best friend that they searched together for him that night including the woods, parks, etc. where they thought he could have went. His best friend who helped search grew up <1/4 mi from there and they did not think to look up there so it makes me think it was not common at all to go up there.

Right, that makes sense. If Henry's friends didn't think to look there at first, it wasn't a typical place for him to go.

Thanks for the info about a friend of Henry's living nearby SV. I was wondering about that. Just, theorizing, but if Henry encountered someone at the shopping center or elsewhere and they were following and threatening him along the streets towards his home, could he have changed his route towards SV so he could stop at a friend's house? Maybe make a call and get a ride or just wait until the bully left?

Right, that makes sense. If Henry's friends didn't think to look there at first, it wasn't a typical place for him to go.

Thanks for the info about a friend of Henry's living nearby SV. I was wondering about that. Just, theorizing, but if Henry encountered someone at the shopping center or elsewhere and they were following and threatening him along the streets towards his home, could he have changed his route towards SV so he could stop at a friend's house? Maybe make a call and get a ride or just wait until the bully left?
If some older kids were harassing or bullying him on the way home that day, it does not seem that it was threatening enough that he went to a friends house, but teen boys kind of have a code and don't tell or get adults involved especially back then. The LE Lt. that saw him lived very close to there, and Henry probably knew the family. There was another LE family that lived almost across the street as well, that I believe had a son that was about Henry's age. So I would imagine he had places that he could have ducked into if had to.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed> Do they still have the wallet and bat?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CAC6968
Back