Found Deceased MA - Henry Bedard, 15, found murdered, Swampscott, 16 Dec 1974

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Has this been officially confirmed? Do they still have the wallet and bat?
Yes on the bat. I have never heard anything about the wallet but I would think they have it.
As far as DNA from the bat, unfortunately that seems to be a lost cause.

For the bat, the markings were well known and discussed from the start, not just by LE but to most in the community
The bat with markings was in the local paper and was discussed by adults and kids as to what the markings were or meant. I even remember a local LE family friend talking to my parents about the markings and what it could mean.

<modsnip>

LE interviewed many kids and coaches and no-one recognized the bat. Some of the coaches and certainly parents were local LE but they did not recognize the bat.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip: Reference info was removed> I did a little more research and found a wordpress doc with copy of old newspaper clipping. It reported the last person to see Henry was a friend who saw him "jogging" down Paradise Road towards his home. Possible. He was planning on running winter track. Does not make sense i.e. timeline. Another article mentioned the mother of two boys called to report finding a body which was later identified as Henry. Did Cliff G have a brother? It may have been a mistake. I believe there was another boy who was a friend. Henry's cause of death was believed to be by a gun and they were searching the area with a magnetic device for evidence. Therefore, the bat must have been fairly well hidden or a distance away. I also read some posts on a Swampscott Facebook Police page. They are about a year old. One poster said her mother was keeping notes and told others she solved the case. However, she refused to hand over the notes to the police when requested. Her reasoning was ridiculous. Something like she was not doing their job for them. The real reason? She was bonkers or fearful? I would have turned it in anonymously at least. Henry's friend Cindy made a few comments asking people to report any info to police. Gray Hughes a YouTuber with large crime channel requested to work with her. I don't watch Grant Hughes but he has a huge following. C basically said they figured out who did it but just did not have sufficient DNA evidence. Hopefully this will change in the future. One of the two women who started the DNA Doe project lived in Salem, MA and is also a true crime writer. Her name is Margaret Press. I think the scientist is Colleen Dodd. The first successful case was the identification of Buckskin Jane Doe. Both have now left the DNA Doe Project. Since no one has shared the specifics of "we know who did it" I am concerned this case will not have closure. Even the YouTube or media coverage could bring someone forward imo. I would really like to know who saw Henry jogging. Also never heard what was in the film Henry dropped off. It would be video. 8 mm.

Keep in mind that Henry was not cutting thru the old train tracks. He went up to the small wooded area above the town DPW.
The way he was heading home was pretty much the most direct and common walking route from Vinnin Sq. /CVS to his house. It is the way I would have walked back then to get to his area of town from Vinnin Sq.
His sister stated that where he cut up was not a short cut, which I would agree with.

.....As someone not personally familiar with Swampscott, I wonder whether Henry and his fellow high school students regularly used the old Swampscott Branch right of way to walk downtown?...
Maybe he had heard from the high school grapevine that it was safe to use the abandoned right-of-way and then cut to Suffolk and Franklin, an easy route to describe?

The old tracks that ran from Walker Rd. up to the old Jr High/HS/MS, was used very regularly as it was a direct route to the school and had easy access in multiple places. You would find kids walking along that route, playing in the woods near there, riding dirt bikes, etc. on a fairly regular basis.
The section in question that ran across Paradise Rd. was not used very often as it was a bit difficult to get up to, even for a kid, and it did not save time. On Paradise Rd. there was a high stone wall and I believe a fence that made it a little difficult to get up to the old train tracks from Paradise Rd.
Like many kids, I often walked along the old train tracks that ran to the Jr. High/HS/MS, but I think I only was on the other portion a couple of times and I grew up near there.

Maybe some mean homicidal troll-like person or persons was hiding in ambush near or on the old bridge abutment for high schoolers or whatever that cross Paradise Road from the area of the high school?
I used to think it was something like that but I think that is doubtful. It was not a common area so if someone was waiting to ambush a kid walking home thru there they could have a long wait. I had thought previously that maybe a homicidal troll like person saw Henry walk up there and is was a crime of opportunity but Henry veered off to that area for a reason so I think it is more likely he was meeting someone.

<modsnip: Referenced info was removed> It is not uncommon to me for the name of a street to appear in different cities. I did a little more research and found a wordpress doc with copy of old newspaper clipping. It reported the last person to see Henry was a friend who saw him "jogging" down Paradise Road towards his home. Possible. He was planning on running winter track. Does not make sense i.e. timeline. Another article mentioned the mother of two boys called to report finding a body which was later identified as Henry. Did Cliff G have a brother? It may have been a mistake. I believe there was another boy who was a friend. Henry's cause of death was believed to be by a gun and they were searching the area with a magnetic device for evidence. Therefore, the bat must have been fairly well hidden or a distance away. I also read some posts on a Swampscott Facebook Police page. They are about a year old. One poster said her mother was keeping notes and told others she solved the case. However, she refused to hand over the notes to the police when requested. Her reasoning was ridiculous. Something like she was not doing their job for them. The real reason? She was bonkers or fearful? I would have turned it in anonymously at least. Henry's friend Cindy made a few comments asking people to report any info to police. Gray Hughes a YouTuber with large crime channel requested to work with her. I don't watch Grant Hughes but he has a huge following. C basically said they figured out who did it but just did not have sufficient DNA evidence. Hopefully this will change in the future. One of the two women who started the DNA Doe project lived in Salem, MA and is also a true crime writer. Her name is Margaret Press. I think the scientist is Colleen Dodd. The first successful case was the identification of Buckskin Jane Doe. Both have now left the DNA Doe Project. Since no one has shared the specifics of "we know who did it" I am concerned this case will not have closure. Even the YouTube or media coverage could bring someone forward imo. I would really like to know who saw Henry jogging. Also never heard what was in the film Henry dropped off. It would be video. 8 mm.

.... It reported the last person to see Henry was a friend who saw him "jogging" down Paradise Road towards his home. ......I would really like to know who saw Henry jogging
I have never heard of or read where a friend saw Henry jogging. It is well documented and known that one of the prominent LE officers, who later became Chief, saw Henry on Paradise Rd, he waved to him and stated that Henry looked like he was in a hurry. The DPW worker(s) saw Henry shortly after that.
Henry's cause of death was believed to be by a gun and they were searching the area with a magnetic device for evidence. Therefore, the bat must have been fairly well hidden or a distance away.
I had heard that the bat was found that 1st day by LE not far from the path to get up there. They were searching the area for evidence or whatever and saw the bat.

No, it is not a weird coincidence. I have been following the case of missing 5-year-old Summer Wells. I believe there was some kind of accident or more likely she was taken by someone close to the parents. I bring her case up because Steve Johnson, a forensic voice analyst, listened to some of Don Well's interviews with Chris McDonough. It was interesting to hear how to tell when people are likely lying. Some of it you might already know such as " To be perfectly honest...." and unnecessary words are used by liars. Don Wells is lying. It has come out he is a pedophile. He admitted to sexual contact from age 12 to 19 with a 5-year-old step sister. The family dismissed most of it. She finally got courage to come forward 37 years later. I mention this because victims often block memories and do not want to come forward especially grown men abused as tweens/teens. I am not sure of the question if Henry has an older sister searching DNA. Perhaps the mother or father had a child out of wedlock or through an affair. A child born out of rape? I have noticed there are other Henry Bedards. I don't know what became of Henry's older and younger brothers. The youngest was only 5. There was likely not a lot of assistance for the parents. It would be hard to give a five-year-old a happy and healthy start admist so much grief and trauma. Chris McDonough from the Interview Room will be on tonight. The Interview Room has videos of Steve Johnson. He offers courses law enforcement take to better interview. Deception may also be found in emails and texts if you know what to look for. <modsnip> The past is very important in future behavior. Not all abused continue the cycle but many do. Those who do usually learn it from someone close to them. Thus the cycle continues. Victims are accused of lying or told they should just accept the past. It tears families apart and many are prominent families who hide secrets well. I thank God the men in my family. Non abusers.

If it was reported somewhere that Henry was seen jogging by a friend that does not seem correct and was perhaps something written later and miss reported. It was reported early on and very well documented that he was seen on Paradise Rd. by a Swampscott Police Lt. who waved to him, and then shortly later by the DPW workers who actually spoke briefly to Henry as he passed thru the DPW up into the wooded area. The Lt. mentioned that he looked like he was in a hurry, but that could mean anything or nothing at all. Maybe he was hustling to get home before dark, it was Dec. and cold, etc. or he could have arranged to meet someone at a certain time up there.

I am fairly sure that that bat was found and picked up by police that day, shortly after getting on the scene, but I do not know when they realized it was the murder weapon. I think one article mentioned the autopsy is when they realized he was not shot, though I would think it would be before then.
There were not any cell phones in those days so perhaps it took some time before they spoke or met with the family again that day, or maybe they wanted to be sure of the autopsy results before letting the family know.

I agree likely a reporting error. Not sure how it happened. Maybe Henry was seen jogging a different day. I do know what is released in media is not always accurate. In the murder of Corrine Flynn of Boston in the early 90s her body was reported to be found in the bathtub. Years later, the killer who was an acquaintance of Corrine gave DNA. He had no idea they were on to him. They knew it was someone she knew because she would not have let a stranger inside. I knew her through a job and she was a devoted mother of a young child. Years later they did a story in Reader's Digest. Surprised the bat did not appear bloody. Nothing will bring Henry back to live the life he dreamed and the killer will never really pay for his crime but I still want whoever responsible accountable. With DNA continuing to advance with new techniques evil doers should be apprehensive. All you need is one hair strand now.

I believe there was heavy rain the night that Henry was murdered so that may account for the bat not appearing bloody.
It seems that a lot of the old cold cases that are solved years later by DNA involve a rape or a crime in which there should be a lot of DNA evidence. That is not the case here. I do not know enough about DNA and how a person's DNA transfers to something but it would seem that any DNA evidence from the bat is not very likely. I understand that the bat was handled by many people in LE, so any DNA samples would be contaminated, and given that it was the 70s, the bat was not properly stored to protect DNA evidence.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed> ... It has been reported by many that would know, that the bat had been handled by many people thru the years. So my understanding is that the bat would be "contaminated" for DNA evidence. Kind of like if a few people walked thru a fresh crime scene before LE got there, stepped in blood, picked up a murder weapon, the crime scene would be contaminated. I'm not saying that there is not any useable evidence, it is just contaminated with other info.
I am not a DNA expert or even a DNA novice, though my basic understanding is that If after all these years the killer still had recoverable DNA on the bat, which sounds doubtful given how the bat was stored, the experts would have to separate the samples out somehow to determine the killers DNA from the DNA of the many other people that all picked up the bat, looked at it, perhaps breathed on it, etc.
My limited understanding is that the various DNA samples from the different people that were in contact with the bat could be "mixed" together and would need to be separated, to eliminate some DNA as belonging to LE that handled the bat, etc.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

A few thoughts from a local who knows some of the LE:
-LE mishandled the bat as it was the 70s so there was not any thought of protecting it for future evidence or DNA. They also did not have experience with a murder. I highly doubt that the mishandling of the bat was due to a cover up.
-Also, even by todays standards, the killers DNA may not even be on the bat. Most of the cold cases mentioned for DNA there was a lot of bodily contact, like a rape, so a lot of DNA evidence. I believe there have been murders where there has not been any DNA found.
-I agree completely that the investigation was probably mishandled as well. In the 70s the general public did not know about local pedophiles or perps hiding in the community like we do today so LE probably focused on just the friend group or a mysterious stranger/stalker and did not investigate all potential POIs, such as any abutters, etc.
-I would like to think LE as a whole would not cover it up. From everything I know the Bedard's and Henry were well liked so a lot in LE that were parents & coaches would have wanted this solved. And I know some of the more recent LE and I would like to think they would not cover up.
-That said, there are some that theorize that someone in LE was covering up for someone. I do believe that a LE family member could potentially run interference or cover up for a family member.
There were quite a few local LE that lived in town who had kids the same age and older as Henry. Some that lived nearby. I have no reason to suspect any and have not heard of any, but I am not sure how widely the police looked outside of Henry's immediate friend group.
RIP Henry.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>
A few thoughts from a local who knows some of the LE:
-LE mishandled the bat as it was the 70s so there was not any thought of protecting it for future evidence or DNA. They also did not have experience with a murder. I highly doubt that the mishandling of the bat was due to a cover up.
-Also, even by todays standards, the killers DNA may not even be on the bat. Most of the cold cases mentioned for DNA there was a lot of bodily contact, like a rape, so a lot of DNA evidence. I believe there have been murders where there has not been any DNA found.
-I agree completely that the investigation was probably mishandled as well. In the 70s the general public did not know about local pedophiles or perps hiding in the community like we do today so LE probably focused on just the friend group or a mysterious stranger/stalker and did not investigate all potential POIs, such as any abutters, etc.
-I would like to think LE as a whole would not cover it up. From everything I know the Bedard's and Henry were well liked so a lot in LE that were parents & coaches would have wanted this solved. And I know some of the more recent LE and I would like to think they would not cover up.
-That said, there are some that theorize that someone in LE was covering up for someone. I do believe that a LE family member could potentially run interference or cover up for a family member.
There were quite a few local LE that lived in town who had kids the same age and older as Henry. Some that lived nearby. I have no reason to suspect any and have not heard of any, but I am not sure how widely the police looked outside of Henry's immediate friend group.
RIP Henry.

From all the news accounts it sounds like local and state LE really tried to find Henry's killer. They got all the expert advice they could. They continue to follow up and get new publicity for Henry's case every few years. JMO, if they were trying to cover something up, they wouldn't be going to the news media to run the story, interviews, etc. so frequently.

This was an unusual case - murder of a young teen male on his way home from high school. Sadly its not as common as the abduction and death of young women Henry's age, but JMO, its unusual for a guy his age, especially in a middle to upper middle class neighborhood. There were no gangs, no high crime rate. Henry wasn't engaging in any risky behaviors or hanging out with other kids involved in drugs, etc. Back then, these kinds of crimes were difficult to solve with few security cameras, no cell phones or social media, no advanced forensic testing, etc.

The recent police chief who has been interviewed about Henry's murder has always sounded very sincere. I can't recall if he's still there or retired, but he's worked this case pretty hard.

That's not to say the case can't be solved, but its an uphill battle. Witnesses coming forward would be a really big help. Someone with a guilty conscience that's been weighing on them for many years. Someone who's had nightmares reliving that terrible murder scene.

From all the news accounts it sounds like local and state LE really tried to find Henry's killer. They got all the expert advice they could. They continue to follow up and get new publicity for Henry's case every few years. JMO, if they were trying to cover something up, they wouldn't be going to the news media to run the story, interviews, etc. so frequently.

This was an unusual case - murder of a young teen male on his way home from high school. Sadly its not as common as the abduction and death of young women Henry's age, but JMO, its unusual for a guy his age, especially in a middle to upper middle class neighborhood. There were no gangs, no high crime rate. Henry wasn't engaging in any risky behaviors or hanging out with other kids involved in drugs, etc. Back then, these kinds of crimes were difficult to solve with few security cameras, no cell phones or social media, no advanced forensic testing, etc.

The recent police chief who has been interviewed about Henry's murder has always sounded very sincere. I can't recall if he's still there or retired, but he's worked this case pretty hard.

That's not to say the case can't be solved, but its an uphill battle. Witnesses coming forward would be a really big help. Someone with a guilty conscience that's been weighing on them for many years. Someone who's had nightmares reliving that terrible murder scene.

Betty P.-good points and input! Especially on the cover up. I could potentially see someone in LE back then covering for a family member, but do not believe there was a LE wide or town leader cover up conspiracy.

I believe the current chief just retired. He was local, was probably a few years older than Henry, and from what I know of him, I agree that he was working the case and not part of any cover up.

Unfortunately it seems that many crimes and murders never get solved. And for the reasons you state, this case is particularly difficult to solve with very little evidence or suspects to go on.
It will most likely take witnesses coming forward as you mention.

Only the one holding the bat can answer why. Time was taken to hide the body under the leaves but the wallet was also left. The birthday party boys made have influenced leaving it behind. Maybe the killer or killers will tell us why.

Falcon, IF, IF, there was any type of DNA and sadly as i have read on here it doesn't seem that there is then the daughters to do a DNA swab would be fruitless? Sadly and it's just talk from here on :(:(

Someone posted earlier that the old high school was where the middle school is now. But from what I've seen online, I believe the high school has moved twice since he was murdered (with the junior high or middle school moving into where the high school used to be). At the time of Bedard's death his high school was at 71 Greenwood Avenue, correct? Just thought I'd mention this in case others were as confused about it as I was originally.

It seems to me that something else that needs to be nailed down to help figure out why he ended up at Swampscott View, is Where was it easy or common to cross the main line railroad tracks? Between Burrill and Essex there are no roads crossing those tracks, and both those crossings are both quite out of the way from the Department of Public Works (DPW). On the old high school side of the tracks between those crossings there are mainly residential lots abutting the tracks. Especially if there weren't many places to cross, I doubt many of these residences would want their yards worn bare by being a walkway for kids, etc., cutting across the tracks. And on the other side of the tracks, there seems to be many warehouses and light industrial establishments, some of which nowadays have formidable fences that would block crossing the tracks and perhaps many of them would not want trespassers. Where would he have crossed on a typical walk home from high school? from the DPW yard? from Vinnin Square?

If Henry left the shopping center about 3pm and walked briskly to the DPW yard less than a mile away, why did the DPW workers not see him until around 3:40pm?

Someone posted earlier that the old high school was where the middle school is now. But from what I've seen online, I believe the high school has moved twice since he was murdered (with the junior high or middle school moving into where the high school used to be). At the time of Bedard's death his high school was at 71 Greenwood Avenue, correct? Just thought I'd mention this in case others were as confused about it as I was originally.

It seems to me that something else that needs to be nailed down to help figure out why he ended up at Swampscott View, is Where was it easy or common to cross the main line railroad tracks? Between Burrill and Essex there are no roads crossing those tracks, and both those crossings are both quite out of the way from the Department of Public Works (DPW). On the old high school side of the tracks between those crossings there are mainly residential lots abutting the tracks. Especially if there weren't many places to cross, I doubt many of these residences would want their yards worn bare by being a walkway for kids, etc., cutting across the tracks. And on the other side of the tracks, there seems to be many warehouses and light industrial establishments, some of which nowadays have formidable fences that would block crossing the tracks and perhaps many of them would not want trespassers. Where would he have crossed on a typical walk home from high school? from the DPW yard? from Vinnin Square?

If Henry left the shopping center about 3pm and walked briskly to the DPW yard less than a mile away, why did the DPW workers not see him until around 3:40pm?

Gruffin-good questions/input.
Correct on the schools. Henry was in 10th grade so the SHS back then was on Greenwood Ave. It was reported that he took a bus after school to Vinnin Sq/Mall area so I believe he would have had to have taken a school bus.
The Jr. High back then was on Forrest Ave, which then became the "new" High School, though a new HS has since been built, up at at Jackson Park area, close to where Henry lived.

It might be confusing to go into the various old track crossings. It is important to note the difference between the "old tracks" as we called them vs. the live tracks, which are still live and the Boston Commuter Rail. The live tracks were not regularly crossed as there were RR fences & yards with fences so it was not easily accessed, plus kids were told and it was probably enforced to some extent to stay off of them.
There were places that the old tracks had easy access and were more direct straighter routes than chrisscrossing the roads & hills. The old tracks from the Jr. High/Old HS had good access from the school & golf course all the way to Walker Rd. , plus a few dead end woods outlets, so it was a common cut-thru.
The old tracks near the Swampscott view was not as common of a cut thru as it did not have easy access, unless you were an abutter, and it did not save any time vs. walking on the road.
Keep in mind, Henry did not go to the old tracks for a short cut h0me, he went up into the woods. And Henry's sister stated later what I had always thought, it was not a short cut home.

Where would he have crossed on a typical walk home from high school? from the DPW yard? from Vinnin Square?
It was reported he took a bus from the HS on Greenwood Ave to CVS. If walking from the Jr. High to CVS/Vinnin Sq. he could have taken a common short cut right thru the back of the school/tracks thru the golf course directly to CVS saving a lot of time.
From CVS to home, Henry would not have crossed any of the old tracks to get home. Depending his route he could have crossed the new tracks at some point but that was not so easy. The way he was walking is the way I would probably walk to go from CVS to Jackson Park area near where he lived, though you could also go down Essex Street, which is roughly about the same distance. I am not sure in 1974 if you could cut thru from Paradise Rd. to Essex Street thru the shopping center like you can today. It may not have been an open thru way back then.

If Henry left the shopping center about 3pm and walked briskly to the DPW yard less than a mile away, why did the DPW workers not see him until around 3:40pm? That is a good question. I walked and rode my back dozens of times on that route. Maybe he was meandering for a while like a lot of teen boys do. He may have ran into some kids that he knew and talked to them for a bit. A lot of kids lived on or in the neighborhoods off of Paradise Rd. or other kids could be walking down the road, riding their bikes or HS kids in cars. It was the busiest road in town and and the main route between the neighboring cities.
It did not occur to me until I stumbled onto this site, but the more I think of it, I think Henry very well may have ran into someone he knew, even if only casually knew, while out shopping or walking down Paradise Rd. and went up to that area to meet them for something, such as to meet a girl, have beer as kids stashed beers in woods back then, smoke a cigarette or pot, etc.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed> I rewatched the piece Chronicle did several years back. I understand Henry had a girlfriend who was away at the time of Henry's murder. It has been suggested Henry may have been lured up to SP to meet a girl or for partying. It is an odd time and place to be meeting as while it may not have been "technically" dark it would be getting dark soon. There would likely be other places to meet. If you ever watched "That 70s Show" it would likely be Eric Foreman's basement. I am curious about the daughter who had a crush on Henry and if they had been friends or in any shared activities. I am also curious about the possible relative of Henry's who lives in Washington. Is she significantly older or younger than Henry? <modsnip: Removed reference to non POI>

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed> I rewatched the piece Chronicle did several years back. I understand Henry had a girlfriend who was away at the time of Henry's murder. It has been suggested Henry may have been lured up to SP to meet a girl or for partying. It is an odd time and place to be meeting as while it may not have been "technically" dark it would be getting dark soon. There would likely be other places to meet. If you ever watched "That 70s Show" it would likely be Eric Foreman's basement. I am curious about the daughter who had a crush on Henry and if they had been friends or in any shared activities. I am also curious about the possible relative of Henry's who lives in Washington. Is she significantly older or younger than Henry? <modsnip: Removed reference to non POI>
Regarding Henry’s girlfriend being away when he was murdered, was this about this girlfriend? Was someone else interested in her? Has this been considered? IMO

Regarding Henry’s girlfriend being away when he was murdered, was this about this girlfriend? Was someone else interested in her? Has this been considered? IMO
Where was it reported that Henry's girlfriend was away when this happened?

Where was it reported that Henry's girlfriend was away when this happened?
The girlfriend "C" who has been in the media said in an interview she was babysitting for a family who took their children away. It was either to Puerto Rico or the Dominican Republic. She said where she went but I don't remember. She said she was upset because her parents did not allow her to come home for the funeral saying there was nothing she could do. I believe I read this in an article (possibly on the website that has articles and pictures of Henry. I am curious to understand more about how her trip came about. It is very possible her parents were trying to protect her from further trauma by not allowing her to come back for the wake and funeral. Most of the students seem to attend the church service but I am not sure if very many went to the actual wake. Was it a closed casket? In the case of an MA alter boy killed in 1973 by a priest. The priest had done the identification of the body and told the parents it could not be open casket. However, the mother stated she was questioned by funeral home and suspicions arose when she found out it could have been open. Damage was to back of head.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste
Back