MA MA - Joan Risch, 30, Lincoln, 24 Oct 1961

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
True, i grew up with the rotary phone. Just puzzling that the phone book was open to emergency page. Just drives me nuts not knowing if blood was spotted out on the highway. As far as the case file, after a certain number of years, do they become available for the average person to go and request a copy?

True, i grew up with the rotary phone. Just puzzling that the phone book was open to emergency page. Just drives me nuts not knowing if blood was spotted out on the highway. As far as the case file, after a certain number of years, do they become available for the average person to go and request a copy?

4SAM, I know the no blood on the highway is somewhat puzzling. Since I really believe those eye-witness accounts, this is especially puzzling. Since, LE only saw tiny droplets of blood on the car in the driveway, maybe it just got missed? The case file...well...that is a good question. I think if they classify the case as "open or ongoing" I would say no. But, to me, that classification is somewhat at LE's whim. It might also indicate that a possible suspect or "person of interest" is still alive?

Just a quick question concerning the initial years (1961-1963) of the Risch investigation - does anyone know if this was before or after Miranda?

Stumbled across this case while researching something unrelated.

A few points (that have probably already been voiced):

1. Seems strange that I saw nothing expressing that neighbors were overly concerned that an abductor was possibly on the loose after this happened. The theory regarding Joan staging her own disappearance didn't come to light until much later if I recall correctly.

2. Personally I do not buy the staged disappearance theme. Why? Because nothing has been presented to my knowledge to indicate "how" she would start over financially, etc. Also, very hard to believe she would not have made later contact with her children at least. Certainly ironic that her reading interest was of this nature, but not enough to convict.

3. Abortion? While this could have played a role (because nobody really knows), the reason I rule it out is that Lillian could have come back at any time (or David could have failed to take nap on schedule) and I don't see Joan trying to squeeze this procedure in on what seemed like an already busy day (dentist etc). Would be more likely if she had left both children at the Barker's house for the afternoon.

4. Little appears to be on record of the days, months, years following the event and how the family coped. Sorry but it strikes me as odd that the family never seemed to mount a high profile effort in later years to solve this (as if maybe they knew something). Not trying to judge because we all deal with things differently, but seems odd to me.

5. Very strange to me that neighbors reported seeing Joan outside the house but no reports of screaming or distress that day. I cannot imagine any mother who has children nearby not sounding the alarm (hysterical screaming) if she or the kids could be in danger.

6. The "other car": Can anyone elaborate on the reports of there being another car seen at the Risch home that day? This seems like the type of neighborhood where a car rushing away would have been noticed and remembered. Just can't figure out if there was or was not such a car.

Input/opinion appreciated!

This posting back in October, makes some great points, especially 1, 4, and 5. That is why I do not believe the staged disappearance, or scheduled abortion theory. And, I put the random intruder theory way down the list as well. Points 1 and 4 are very connected IMO.

4SAM, I know the no blood on the highway is somewhat puzzling. Since I really believe those eye-witness accounts, this is especially puzzling. Since, LE only saw tiny droplets of blood on the car in the driveway, maybe it just got missed??

I just re-read the PDF, and the sightings do sound convincing, but create more confusion for me, since they add MILES to her ramble, and she reverses direction as well. I'm starting to believe that was her, but not that she made it there on her own, in that condition. I wonder if there was a bus route from Lincoln to Waltham?

I also discovered at least one person who DID report seeing the car in the Risch drive prior to that date. So, whoever drove it wasn't a stranger.

I just re-read the PDF, and the sightings do sound convincing, but create more confusion for me, since they add MILES to her ramble, and she reverses direction as well. I'm starting to believe that was her, but not that she made it there on her own, in that condition. I wonder if there was a bus route from Lincoln to Waltham?

I also discovered at least one person who DID report seeing the car in the Risch drive prior to that date. So, whoever drove it wasn't a stranger.

I believe she would have been able to get from her house to 2A in that condition but the other two places...not on her own. I believe the 3rd sighting was near Totten Pond (?) Road near the Winter St exit. That is at least 3 miles from 2A.

Ah yes, there was at least one sighting of the blue/gray car from a week before. I believe it was credible as it was the milkman and he had to walk right past the car (and notice if it had out of state plates) So, this is another reason why the blue/gray car and the person "behind the car" holds the key to the mystery.

Out of state tags? Could that play into the fact that she was next to AFB?

Out of state tags? Could that play into the fact that she was next to AFB?

4Sam, no, I put out-of-state plates in quotes to indicate that somebody like the milkman walking by would have noticed if there were out-of-state plates. I was making a reference to a couple of other posters who thought Joan's uncle, who had molested her, had come to Lincoln to visit her in the weeks preceding her disappearance. My point was no matter the witnesses to the blue gray car, no one mentioned that the vehicle had out-of-state plates.

OHHH....crap thought there was an angle.

This link found is interesting and mentions another wife leaving her children behind like in the case with Joan.

Mrs. Susan Caira, 21, disappeared from her Newton Corner home, last Monday, leaving a three-year-old girl and a year-old boy alone

There is also this in a paper.

I wonder what came of that. Interesting in deed.

Bumping and wondering if there is any further information for Susan Caira, ie enough to start a thread?
Any reason to think there might be a connection between Susan's disappearance and Joan's case?

Bumping and wondering if there is any further information for Susan Caira, ie enough to start a thread?
Any reason to think there might be a connection between Susan's disappearance and Joan's case?

Apparently, there was a confession, which led no where, but the police believed that her estranged husband was responsible, and that she was killed. According to what I read, they believe she was buried in the foundations of a Howard Johnsons that was being built.

I don't know if it varied from place to place, but when I was a kid, I was told that it was impossible to obtain itemized records of local calls, though long distance ones were itemized. I don't know if the phone company had a way to trace local calls, but I am almost positive that those *69 and other key combos that allowed one to call back the last number did not exist until the 1990s. I don't even think there were touch-tone phones back then -- so you wouldn't have been able to type in anything like *number.

Skigirl, it dawned on me today, you may have hit on why LE made at least two trips to interview the aunt and uncle (the Natrass's) who adopted Joan. Maybe their number showed up on the itemization of long distance calls in the days leading up to her disappearance? What do you think?

Skigirl, it dawned on me today, you may have hit on why LE made at least two trips to interview the aunt and uncle (the Natrass's) who adopted Joan. Maybe their number showed up on the itemization of long distance calls in the days leading up to her disappearance? What do you think?

Interesting idea! I wouldn't be surprised if she had called them...

How did it become public knowledge that Joan had been sexually abused as a child ?

How did it become public knowledge that Joan had been sexually abused as a child ?

Liz, at this moment I am not sure on the exact source of that information. I do know that lawn force meant did ask Martin Rish about it. I am thinking it may have come from her college friend who lived in Bedford.

Liz, at this moment I am not sure on the exact source of that information. I do know that lawn force meant did ask Martin Rish about it. I am thinking it may have come from her college friend who lived in Bedford.

Thanks. I do wonder why they asked martin Risch about it ? Looking again at that photo of the blood in the kitchen, and the phone receiver placed on the box...in the little hallway in that photo, it looks like a small table or something was overturned. Usually that would be a red flag...that a struggle took place there. jmo.

Apparently, there was a confession, which led no where, but the police believed that her estranged husband was responsible, and that she was killed. According to what I read, they believe she was buried in the foundations of a Howard Johnsons that was being built.

Sorry but, I do not believe there is a connection between these two disappearances. Both cases are different in many ways. By the way, were they still building new HOJO's at that time?

Interesting idea! I wouldn't be surprised if she had called them...

Further, (wish these tangents would come to me all at once:) maybe, just maybe, they were the source of the calls that came to the Risch residence in early November from an "excited woman" asking for Joan and not recognizing Martin's father who answered the phone. If New England Telephone, at the time could itemize long distance calls, showing several during this time frame, they could have been the source of the calls. Again, just a guess since I do not have the LE case file.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HubCitySleuth
Back