MA - Lindsay Clancy, Strangled 3 Children in Murder/Suicide Attempt, Duxbury, Jan 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Mental illness is a complex disease and presents differently in everyone. While we all want the details of which dr prescribed what medicine and when, we will never know exactly why this happened. I've been on antidepressants for 25 years. After about ten on the same med, I felt it wasn't working and instead of increasing the dosage, the dr had me try a totally different drug. Oh my gosh. For 3 nights I dreamed in vivid detail of chasing and killing my own mother. It was as real as if it was happening - the emotions of what I was doing (in the dream) were real - I was crying and grieving and loved her but compelled over and over again to complete the act. I immediately went back to my first med (albeit an increased dose) and have never had another problem. But what those three nights did to me was long lasting. I absolutely adored my mother and never in a million years would I think of hurting her. Until you have had you mind altered in that way, I think it is easy to judge how you perceive others should act. If you did not know me, and I told you about the dreams, you might think I had some deep-seated issues with my mom. Nothing could be further from the truth. It is obviously that this woman loved her children and her family and deserves treatment, not condemnation.

Mental illness is a complex disease and presents differently in everyone. While we all want the details of which dr prescribed what medicine and when, we will never know exactly why this happened. I've been on antidepressants for 25 years. After about ten on the same med, I felt it wasn't working and instead of increasing the dosage, the dr had me try a totally different drug. Oh my gosh. For 3 nights I dreamed in vivid detail of chasing and killing my own mother. It was as real as if it was happening - the emotions of what I was doing (in the dream) were real - I was crying and grieving and loved her but compelled over and over again to complete the act. I immediately went back to my first med (albeit an increased dose) and have never had another problem. But what those three nights did to me was long lasting. I absolutely adored my mother and never in a million years would I think of hurting her. Until you have had you mind altered in that way, I think it is easy to judge how you perceive others should act. If you did not know me, and I told you about the dreams, you might think I had some deep-seated issues with my mom. Nothing could be further from the truth. It is obviously that this woman loved her children and her family and deserves treatment, not condemnation.
Thank you for sharing your experience.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

There is no question that she was suffering from PPD as she was being actively medicated for it. Obviously the medication’s that she was on, and the treatment that she was receiving did not work. Planning this may seem cut and dried to someone who has never witnessed mental illness, and I do not give a mental illness defense to very many who killed children, but this case obviously fits the bill in my very honest opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip - quoted post was removed for no link>

Is there a link to the full indictment? I saw the few pages just listing the charges. Scrolled back and number of pages and didn't find the full indictment though. Thank you!

In the grip of psychosis, people can plan and carry out horrible acts, including murder. I can't see how society will be served by putting a mentally ill, paraplegic woman in prison.

In the grip of psychosis, people can plan and carry out horrible acts, including murder. I can't see how society will be served by putting a mentally ill, paraplegic woman in prison.
She was never diagnosed with PPD.

Only general anxiety

Investigators reportedly collected Clancy’s pink iPhone, electronic tablets, laptops, exercise bands, a silver knife and four prescription medication bottles, among other items. Investigators also took blood and urine samples from Clancy along with swabs from under her fingernails.

“Investigators are also aware that Ms. Clancy used her cellular telephone and her journal to document her mental state and her feelings about her children, in addition to keeping track of her medications, and researching ways to kill, which means that [it] is reasonable to conclude that Ms. Clancy would have used all formats and tools available to her including a tablet,” the affidavit states, per The Boston Globe.

The nearly 300 pages of documents did not reveal the details of the alleged searches.

At Clancy’s initial arraignment in February, her defense attorney, Kevin Reddington, argued she was severely overmedicated with psychiatric drugs, and inadequately treated for the postpartum mental illnesses she was allegedly experiencing, in the months leading up to the suspected killings, and thus could not be held liable for her alleged actions.

Reddington previously told The Boston Globe that his client was prescribed drugs for mood disorders, anxiety and psychosis.

According to the newly unsealed documents, cited by The Boston Globe, Clancy’s husband, Patrick, said she had been prescribed Zoloft, Valium, Trazodone, Ativan, Klonopin, Prozac, and Seroquel and took at least four prescriptions a day.

Totally anecdotal, but when I was prescribed Trazodone some years ago for depression and insomnia, I thought I was going mad...climbing the walls anxiety. I threw out the bottle of pills the next morning. Low-dose Xanax did the trick. I can't imagine being on all these medications at the same time.
Not to excuse her actions but there could be a contributing cause here.

She impacted the ground forcefully enough that she suffered an irreversible spine injury and is now a paraplegic; that doesn't seem consistent with lowering herself to the ground.

She impacted the ground forcefully enough that she suffered an irreversible spine injury and is now a paraplegic; that doesn't seem consistent with lowering herself to the ground.
The window was at least a storey up. That's still a long drop onto a hard surface. Sometimes, that's all it takes, if you land wrong.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
permanentvacation
Back