Found Deceased MA - Meghan Marohn, 43, from NY, car found near Longcope Park, Lee, 28 Mar 2022 *Reward*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm wondering if the authorities are actively scanning the Housatonic River. So far, I've yet to read that they are. Since it was mentioned that they moved the search south closer to Rt 102/Pleasant St., the "Housie," as it's called, parallels that road and is rather deep with a strong current. A few old mills are just downstream with a small dam/waterfall.

I've wondered the same. It looks like the walk to the Housatonic would be no more than 15 minutes or so. Prior to the geocaching possibility, I wasn't sure why she'd chose that location when they were so many better hiking destinations available close by. It's not a great thought, but a logical one, given the other pieces.

My heart is with everyone who cares for her.

I've wondered the same. It looks like the walk to the Housatonic would be no more than 15 minutes or so. Prior to the geocaching possibility, I wasn't sure why she'd chose that location when they were so many better hiking destinations available close by. It's not a great thought, but a logical one, given the other pieces.

My heart is with everyone who cares for her.
Same here. On her page created by her brother, someone posted this an hour ago (about 7pm EST):
"Search crews and helicopter about a mile from the park right now, fingers crossed they may be onto a new lead! Praying they find her."
Fingers crossed indeed...

Same here. On her page created by her brother, someone posted this an hour ago (about 7pm EST):
"Search crews and helicopter about a mile from the park right now, fingers crossed they may be onto a new lead! Praying they find her."
Fingers crossed indeed...
Seems like it's getting late in the day for choppers to be effective, but maybe that was earlier. I do wonder about this geocaching activity which I had never heard of. In doing that, could she have had any contact with the person who hid the "prize"? I'm wondering if a bad dude could lure a person to an isolated geocaching site.

Seems like it's getting late in the day for choppers to be effective, but maybe that was earlier. I do wonder about this geocaching activity which I had never heard of. In doing that, could she have had any contact with the person who hid the "prize"? I'm wondering if a bad dude could lure a person to an isolated geocaching site.
It sure does seem late. When I read that, it was already dark here. And I didn't see any flights on the "FlightAware" site unless perhaps certain LE aircraft can be invisible to it. Wondering if she was not geocaching based on her mental state, based on the newest article I just posted above. But that's a good thought...

It sure does seem late. When I read that, it was already dark here. And I didn't see any flights on the "FlightAware" site unless perhaps certain LE aircraft can be invisible to it. Wondering if she was not geocaching based on her mental state, based on the newest article I just posted above. But that's a good thought...
Yes I just read that article and am super concerned. I also just read her FB page and she has donated to suicide prevention causes. She's obviously very emotionally intelligent and perhaps a real suicide risk. She seems like a wonderful person. Very very sad but I guess there's still a sliver of hope.

Sorry to be dense but what would that signify? That she knew she wasn't coming back?
Well, it could mean as you suggest or
-that someone other than Meghan drove her car there and then abandoned it or
- as soon as she arrived at the park - she was approached while exiting the car and grabbed - they threw her phone in the opposite direction
I wish they could access her computer phone etc - anything that would help them
Is there a picture of the car ? I think that would be helpful
Sending good thoughts to her family

Simplified, geocaching is basically where people hide caches in places, and upload the coordinates so other people out there can use GPS technology to try and find what's been hidden.

There are different types of caches -- some traditional caches are small containers that hold only a log that is signed to document you found it; some caches are big buckets of little things like matchbox cars or plastic dinosaurs; earthcaches are designed to bring people to a spot that has some sort of environmental significance and they do not have an actual physical cache to find, but you need to answer a series of questions about the place and provide a photo to prove you were there. They are located all over the world. They are hidden by the cache-owner, uploaded to Geocaching.com, and then left for people to find. Owners are supposed to check on it now and again to make sure it's still there, or replace the paper log sheets, but we have found some that have been hidden in the woods undisturbed for literal years.

There isn't really a prize, per se -- the prize is finding the hidden cache, and many times it's the experience of getting there (some involve rappelling, or diving, or climbing a tree, or figuring out how to get your adult-sized body into that child-sized opening in this pile of rocks...) Many of them do have little trinkets and doodads that you can trade out with other trinkets or doodads (my signature item are rubber balls with eyeballs on them, there's a group from NY who leave custom rubber ducks, I've seen everything from plastic army men to ugly costume jewelry...) It's exciting for kids to find the hidden cache and trade an item (adults, too -- imagine two grown men out in the woods jumping up and down over finding a Syracuse basketball pennant...) There are "geotrackers" which have a registration number and the idea is for people to pick them up at one cache and then leave them at another cache, and see how far they can travel around the world. Many caches are designed to bring people to places of interest or to places the cache-owner finds beautiful or special.

It's really a lot of fun. You can do it alone, or with a group. It gets people out in the world and using their navigational skills to take them to interesting places. Some groups have caching events whereby the people out searching for caches are also picking up garbage (cache-in-trash-out events). Boy scouts have hidden caches as part of earning badges. It was a blessing during the height of Covid -- when everyone decided that the only thing they could do was congregate on and clog up the hiking trails, I was able to find ideas for places to get out and be away from the masses.

I guess it could be entirely possible for someone to hide a cache, upload the coordinates to geocaching.com, and then lay in wait for someone to come, but they could be waiting for a really long time. There are some people who enjoy dashing out as soon as they see a new listing so they can have the honor of being the first to find the newly-hidden cache, but for the most part there really is no way to know who or when someone is going to be out searching for your cache. There's a bit of stealth involved in both hiding and searching -- non-geocachers are referred to as "muggles" and the idea is to not be obvious about searching for a cache so a muggle doesn't, say, walk off with the cache, or throw it out thinking it's trash, or be mean-spirited and tamper with the cache. I think really the only way this could happen other than pure chance would be if Meghan had been in contact with the person allegedly hiding the cache and they had made arrangements for her to try and find it, but I don't believe this is the case here.

Meghan's brother, Peter, has posted some replies to comments on the Find Meghan Marohn page, including this from a few hours ago:
"Just to be clear with everyone on this post, there has been some inaccurate reporting as well as misrepresentation and misinterpretation of the facts by the media including the Berkshire Eagle. Meghan checked into Stockbridge on March 24th and was scheduled to leave on the 30th. Her keys were not found in her car as some have reported as well. We all have question and yes there are many questions surrounding Meghan's disappearance. I will continue to update with proper information as I receive it. Thank you."

Meghan's brother, Peter, has posted some replies to comments on the Find Meghan Marohn page, including this from a few hours ago:
"Just to be clear with everyone on this post, there has been some inaccurate reporting as well as misrepresentation and misinterpretation of the facts by the media including the Berkshire Eagle. Meghan checked into Stockbridge on March 24th and was scheduled to leave on the 30th. Her keys were not found in her car as some have reported as well. We all have question and yes there are many questions surrounding Meghan's disappearance. I will continue to update with proper information as I receive it. Thank you."
So she was planning on being there for quite some time, this wasn't a one or two night stay. This is important because it shows she didn't intend to take off on her own, i.e. suicide.

So she was planning on being there for quite some time, this wasn't a one or two night stay. This is important because it shows she didn't intend to take off on her own, i.e. suicide.
I can see both situations... Maybe she took a week off to decompress, think, and then her emotions got the best of her?

I live in MA about 30 minutes away from where Meghan went missing. I believe that a man had approached her seeming friendly but needing help and lured her into the woods to hurt her. I have been researching cases since I moved here in 2019. I think there is a killer here. Jackie was one of his victims I believe. Both of these women were in nature and vanished. Jackie’s body was found on a very remote logging trail. Cause of death ruled hypothermia however I do not believe that to be true as there were only skeletal remains and it was in the middle of May. She was last seen around 10am it took 6 months to find her. <modsnip> also have 2-3 other women I believe to be connected.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in MA about 30 minutes away from where Meghan went missing. I believe that a man had approached her seeming friendly but needing help and lured her into the woods to hurt her. I have been researching cases since I moved here in 2019. I think there is a killer here. Jackie was one of his victims I believe. Both of these women were in nature and vanished. Jackie’s body was found on a very remote logging trail. Cause of death ruled hypothermia however I do not believe that to be true as there were only skeletal remains and it was in the middle of May. She was last seen around 10am it took 6 months to find her. <modsnip>I also have 2-3 other women I believe to be connected.
Hello. What is Jackie's last name and when did she disappear?

Last edited by a moderator:

I happened to read that article a few days ago after seeing her mentioned on a thread for Meghan on another site. Very bizarre, especially as Jackie was found 5 miles from the home where she went missing. Was the home she was staying at in Hinsdale surrounded by woods with trails that people frequented?

Things are not looking good for poor Meghan, and it's completely frustrating that we have no upcoming press conference planned. I keep thinking that perhaps LE just feels certain this is a mental health situation, but they're not allowed to state that, so they're staying quiet.

I grew up in Lee, MA, where Meghan went missing, and still visit my parents there often. This is not the kind of thing that happens in Lee, and I am just afraid that the police department there is out of its element...hopefully they are running a thorough investigation and are just keeping things close to the vest, but I really hope they are getting the help and resources they need to investigate beyond the initial ground search.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214
Back