Found Deceased MA - Meghan Marohn, 43, from NY, car found near Longcope Park, Lee, 28 Mar 2022 *Reward*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I've been so busy and avoiding the news I wasn't even aware aware of this story in my county. I wonder if she was having any personal/mental health issues. It sounded odd to me that no one knew where she was staying but sounded like she'd been gone overnight-missing since Sunday. Delmar isn't far away-I used to drive daily to Albany. And it's not a spot where a "hiker" would travel to.

The woods are pretty muddy, slippery etc. I'm a hiker and don't enjoy hiking this time of year and it's bad for the trails so just not a popular hiking time. It's also easy to fall but more due to slipping & falling in mud than falling off a cliff or something similarly deadly. Also been REALLY cold at night.

Just did a search before I posted this and saw a quote from a news article that sort of answers my speculation about her state of mind.
The quote from the friend is worrisome.

Between the cold snap and the heavy rain last night, things would be very hard on anyone outside for several days. I continue to hope that she simply left her car behind and found someplace indoors to rest in whatever way she needs right now.

You missed "and trafficked."

I've been so busy and avoiding the news I wasn't even aware aware of this story in my county. I wonder if she was having any personal/mental health issues. It sounded odd to me that no one knew where she was staying but sounded like she'd been gone overnight-missing since Sunday. Delmar isn't far away-I used to drive daily to Albany. And it's not a spot where a "hiker" would travel to.

The woods are pretty muddy, slippery etc. I'm a hiker and don't enjoy hiking this time of year and it's bad for the trails so just not a popular hiking time. It's also easy to fall but more due to slipping & falling in mud than falling off a cliff or something similarly deadly. Also been REALLY cold at night.

Just did a search before I posted this and saw a quote from a news article that sort of answers my speculation about her state of mind.

Mind linking?

Police said the missing person report was filed Tuesday with the Bethlehem Police Department. The Lee Police Department then happened to find her car, a black 2017 Subaru Impreza, on Church Street at Longscope Park in Lee. They found that the car was parked there since Sunday.

https://www.news10.com/news/berkshire-county/police-hold-press-conference-on-missing-delmar-woman/

"Sunday we came by and there was a car parked in here and we thought it was strange because it was cold, rainy, snowy, windy, so Monday and Tuesday when we came by that same car was still here and found it to be strange, so Tuesday morning, we called the police,” said Kathie Siok, the resident who found Marohn’s car.

Days long search for missing Capital Region teacher continues

LEE — The search for a missing New York woman has shifted to an area just south of the park where the operation began several days ago.

Dozens of state police cruisers and other vehicles were parked at a property on Church Street on Friday morning, the fourth day of the search.

To date, the search has covered 2 square miles, Lee Police Chief Craig DeSantis said Friday during an afternoon press conference in the Lee Town Hall.

More at Search for missing NY woman shifts farther south from Longcope Park area in Lee

LEE — The search for a missing New York woman has shifted to an area just south of the park where the operation began several days ago.

Dozens of state police cruisers and other vehicles were parked at a property on Church Street on Friday morning, the fourth day of the search.

To date, the search has covered 2 square miles, Lee Police Chief Craig DeSantis said Friday during an afternoon press conference in the Lee Town Hall.

More at Search for missing NY woman shifts farther south from Longcope Park area in Lee
That's a really heavy police presence.

The search for a New York high school English teacher in the Berkshire County town of Lee is now entering its fifth day with search organizers changing their focus to an area south of the original starting point.

Search for missing New York teacher continues in Lee

Nothing new. I'm a little puzzled that they continue to say she "may" have been staying at the Red Lion. That seems like a pretty simple thing to answer.

I'm thinking of her friends and family waiting, but also of her students. I'll continue to imagine her in a warm safe place, healing in whatever ways she needs to before letting everyone know she's ok.

Search for missing New York teacher continues in Lee

Nothing new. I'm a little puzzled that they continue to say she "may" have been staying at the Red Lion. That seems like a pretty simple thing to answer.

I'm thinking of her friends and family waiting, but also of her students. I'll continue to imagine her in a warm safe place, healing in whatever ways she needs to before letting everyone know she's ok.
I wonder if she may have checked in, but there's question as to whether she stayed there at all.

From my own perspective it does sound like she may have had an accident while hiking

Presser.
1st April.

Chief - We've asked you here to provide an overall update about a missing person's investigation, for 42 yr. old Meghan Marohn of Delmare, New York. We consider this a missing person's investigation at this point, and we have no specific new developments to report, but we recognise it's the 4th day of the investigation, so we felt that it was important just to keep our community informed, the public informed, as to where we're at.

I do have to preference the comments today and remind everybody that things are fluid. It's an open investigation and not all details are available or appropriate for us to share at this time.

What I can say though is - Meghan Marohn was reported missing on Tuesday, 3.29 pm. by her family to the Bethlehem New York Police Dept. After the Bethlehem Police Dept. received the missing person's report, they started their investigation. As it would happen, on that same day, on the 29th, the Lee Police Dept. became aware of a vehicle that was parked on Church St., Longope Park. It's a small park, about 46 acres and it does have hiking trails. It was reported that a vehicle had been parked there since Sunday. So Lee Police Officers responded and determined that the vehicle belonged to Meghan.

From that point forward multiple public safety issues began a co-ordinated search and investigative effort, trying to locate Meghan. As of today, April 1st, we have not located Meghan. But I want to assure all of you and members of the public and our community, that we are doing everything that we can to locate her. And of course, our thoughts and prayers are with her, her family and her friends.

To date, we've brought an enormous amount of resources and personnel to this investigation. (Lists all the Depts. K9's, drones, SAR).

To date, we've focused on an approximate area of 2 sq. miles, in the general area of where her car was located. As we continue our organised effort, we're not looking for any outside assistance. While we appreciate the offers that we've received, at this point it would probably compromise search efforts. So again, with our thanks, we would ask volunteers to hold off.

I can say, while the matters still under investigation, I don't believe there's any direct threat to our community. I think that's important to report at this point. Having said that, as we continue our investigation, anybody with information, we encourage them to give us a call at 413-243-5530. (repeats description of Meghan and relays the details on the missing poster)

DA (Berkshire) - (Offers regards to family and loved ones of Meghan and commends efforts from all depts.)

I want to stress that this is very much a search effort for a missing person's. It is typical and normal for local police departments to reach out to the Berkshire Detective Unit for assistance on the investigative side, when there is a missing person's search and investigation. And my office has made those resources available. I have Sergeant Mower here from the Berkshire Detective Unit. We have all of the resources of the Massachusetts State Police, are available for this search and we are utilising those resources. So, I really want to encourage anybody who has any potential information about Miss Marohn's disappearance to please contact the Lee Police Department.

Reporter - Chief, how would you describe the terrain of that park? and after a 4 day search, the park is 46 acres, as you mentioned, a 2 sq. acre search doesn't seem like a lot of ground was covered.

Chief - We're actually operating both in and outside of the park. It's approximately a 2 sq. mile area, and while it doesn't seem large, that is actually quite a large area. I would say some areas of the terrain we're searching are extremely difficult. Very, very thick and that's kind of hampered search efforts, and that's why we don't want volunteers out there, that we're not aware of, because we're trying to track all of the spaces that we've gone, and I can certainly defer to Lieutenant (inaudible). They are extremely well trained and well equipped and very proficient at searching areas.

Reporter - (inaudible) a point where there doesn't appear to be any signs of criminal activity, any nefarious activity. Why would a District Attorney be involved with a missing person like this?

DA - Berkshire County is made up of a lot of small town Police Departments and they really rely on the Berkshire Detective Unit for access to things like our digital evidence unit, sending forensic evidence to the crime lab. Our Detectives are very experienced investigators, they give advice on how potential different investigatory steps to take. Detectives from the State Police Detective Unit are looking for surveillance videos. So they just help with supporting local Police Departments in that fashion, in a lot of different cases. We don't only handle homicide investigations, we provide a lot of other kinds of services.

Reporter - Just to clarify, there's no evidence at this point that indicates that a crime was committed?

DA - Thank you for clarifying that. At this point there is no evidence that a crime was committed.

Reporter - There was tip that that she might have checked into the Red Lion Inn in Southbridge before she went missing. Is that something you're aware of? Can you confirm that?

Chief - What I'm willing to confirm at this point is - yes she checked into a local hotel. At this point, I'm not willing to share the name, but yes we do know. That came up early in the investigation in a neighbouring town. She was staying at a local hotel.

Reporter - Do you know which night or how long?

Chief - Yep, she checked in Thursday night, but that's as much as I can share about that.

Reporter - Have you also heard that people are describing her as a hiker? Or do you know if she was a hiker? and then is it a possibility she could have fallen or injured herself on a trail somewhere? Is that a possibility of something you're looking into?

Chief - Sure, it's a possibility. Investigators are speaking to friends and family and trying to get all that background information, but to directly answer your question - Yes she does have a history of hiking.

Reporter - During your search have you found in any of her items, any evidence to point to where she was hiking? The exact route she was hiking?

Chief - Not physical evidence, but we are using some cell phone data, prior cell phone data, to assist in establishing search areas.

Reporter - And as far as you know she was alone on this hike?

Chief - As far as we know, yes.

Reporter - Any indication, did she have any medical condition that possibly would affect her, to that she would become disabled in any way? Did she have epilepsy, anything like that? Any type of heart condition, or anything like that? Just based on her picture she looks like she's in pretty good shape.

Chief - Yeah, that's currently being reviewed, that part. We do have investigators looking into that now.

Reporter - Do you have reason to believe she may have had it on her? And is it possible to track that cell phone if the battery's dead.

Chief - Not after the battery's dead, and yes we do believe she had it on her. We do have activity after the vehicle was parked.

Reporter - Were there any calls, domestic calls at her house at Delmar, before she made this excursion to the Berkshires?

Liet. - There wasn't. And so she went to her trip here, to Massachusetts, and after a couple of days of her family not hearing from her, one of the family members reported her.

Reporter - Any unusual calls at her home in recent months?

Liet. - No.

Reporter - Was there any indication that she was here visiting friend's or what have you? or was this basically a trip that she basically planned on herself and she wasn't going to hook up with somebody, like she was going to meet somebody, like, Saturday night, or Sunday after arriving?

Liet. - I don't have those details, but my understanding is, this is not out of the ordinary for her to go on a trip like this.

Reporter - How long will the search continue?

Chief - For as long as it takes until we're satisfied, completely satisfied. And any additional information, obviously if there's future information we would act on it, at that point.

Reporter - Was there any unusual evidence found around the car? Signs of a struggle?

Chief - No. No there was not.

Reporter - Are you returning to the search scene now?

Chief - Yep. As we speak there are teams still currently deployed.

So they confirm she checked into a hotel on Thurs. evening. I'm curious what her check-out date was supposed to be. She's a teacher - perhaps she was on spring break that week and wanted to do a little weekend getaway? The Liet. stated in that interview that it was not out of the ordinary for her to get away and do something like this.

It does seem to me that she may have fallen/injured herself to the point she could not get out from the hiking trail. But they also state she had her phone on her and there was activity after she parked, so I'm curious if there is cell phone service where she was hiking? If so, if you are injured or immobilized, it's odd to not call 911 or even someone you know. Unless, of course, she fell and was knocked unconscious. I'm curious if she is a hiker who has a history of trying to go off-trail. I'm assuming if she was still on an established trail, they would have found her?

EDIT: So I just looked up her school district's calendar and there was no day off school that week. If she checked into a hotel on Thurs. night the 24, her district had school the next day, so she must have taken that day off. It looks like they got a break back in Feb. I'm sure LE has spoken with her school; I'm curious if she already called off for that Friday or if they were expecting her.

I'm curious if she is a hiker who has a history of trying to go off-trail. I'm assuming if she was still on an established trail, they would have found her?

I think that's the bit that's been puzzling me. It doesn't seem like the sort of place that you'd choose to go off trail as part of your visit. Not in Lee, not with so many longer hiking options if you wanted challenge. If she had a dog that ran off, or if she needed a pit stop, sure. But deliberately leaving that trail on that property for some adventure seems curious.

There does appear to be a geocache there, though it's from 2011 and I have no idea if it's still active. That can pull people off a trail, but usually not far. I think this blog may be linked to earlier and it references "an easy-walking loop trail that includes two footbridges crossing a small stream." According to it, the trail is blazed. But if a trail isn't well traveled or maintained, it can be easy to wander off if lost in thought.

Well this is frustrating - I guess it's been about a week now. For some reason, I'm worried more about a suicide scenario than a hiking accident - maybe because her friend said she'd been having a hard time recently. I hope they're looking up in trees as well as on the ground. Hoping for a miracle.

Marohn’s family is offering a $50,000 reward for information leading directly to her safe return. They are also operating a 24 Hour Tip Hotline at 413-327-6255.

In addition to the reward, Marohn’s brother, Peter Naple, created a website called FindMeghanMarohn.com. The website includes more photos, information, and a comment section to aid in the search for his sister.

Reward offered by family of missing Delmar teacher

He believes she was participating in geocaching, which is an outdoor activity where hikers use navigational tools to hide and seek prizes.

They say they will continue to search for Meghan, however long it takes, “The family hasn’t given up hope that’s why we are continuing this effort here physically as well as our Internet presents. I continue to keep going with that until something is found.”

"The family hasn't given up hope": Missing woman's family continues search

So that changes things a bit and answers the question of what she might be doing off the trail. If there's more than one in Longcope or the vicinity of Church Street she could have decided to lose the trails and just gps it from one to the next. If she's an experienced hiker, the potential search area expands quite a bit.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonlit7
Back