Found Deceased MA - Meghan Marohn, 43, from NY, car found near Longcope Park, Lee, 28 Mar 2022 *Reward*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Bumping for Meghan. It's "crickets" as the saying goes here in the Berkshires. Not a peep from LE in MA in weeks or NY in over a week. Her poor brother hasn't responded to a few recent posts on her official missing page that he created. Surely at this point LE could give us some indication as to why they think there isn't a killer on the loose? I totally get HIPPA and patient confidentiality rules. If at first they felt she was most likely the victim of perhaps some self-inflicted harm, we can understand they can't just divulge that in the event she was found alive. But it's been 3.5 weeks with nothing. Folks have posted asking why they can't form search teams, or post billboards, or hold community vigils hoping for her return. Not a peep. If LE has data that makes them pretty certain she perhaps took her own life, even if they can't locate her body, why can't they tell the public at this point instead of leaving us with a few comments weeks ago that they suspect no foul play. What "rights" do we as the public have? I'd like to be able to take a short solo walk in a public park again without feeling someone is lurking. Of course there are no guarantees but if they were just honest with us, and supply us with some details about where they searched and how, and why they feel she wasn't targeted or stalked, it'd settle a great deal of us down.

Thinking about Meghan. It has been unusually quiet for a missing person search. I am so sorry for the pain and sadness that her family, friends and students are enduring. Like @JerseyWasHome2 said, I wish law enforcement would share more.
Thanks for reading here and checking in! I know, it is so sad for her, her family and friends and students. Why do they think we don't need info? Closure? Anything? What other cases are similar we can compare to?

LE may know more than they've said to feel so confident that the public isn't in danger. I am surprised there doesn't seem to be any searches outside of law enforcement or a vigil, to provide more help and keep it in the public eye. And just to support Meghan and her loved ones.

Thanks for reading here and checking in! I know, it is so sad for her, her family and friends and students. Why do they think we don't need info? Closure? Anything? What other cases are similar we can compare to?
The only other case I can think of that has some similarities is Sydney West the missing Berkeley student. Law enforcement also said no foul play and has been quiet and they're really weren't many searches but the family did have two vigils. She was last seen on the Golden gate bridge about a year and a half ago.

I'd be pretty surprised if this wasn't a suicide. I hope I'm proven wrong but all the signs are there:
1. Her brother mentioned she had been unhappy (I don't remember his exact words). He spoke with her the night before she disappeared and he told her he'd call her the next day. I know they are very close but most adult siblings don't talk every day. I think he was worried about her.
2. Her friend said Meghan had been upset and needed some time alone.
3. She took a leave of absence from teaching. Its unusual to do that with only 8 weeks remaining in the school year. I don't think she would do that unless there was a serious problem.

In cases like this, I think its customary for LE to be silent. I think she's in the woods or water. Spring has arrived in MA and as leaves, weeds, grass and flowers emerge, its going to be tougher to find her, though there will presumably more hikers out in the area to spot some clues. I'm hoping for the best but not optimistic.

I'd be pretty surprised if this wasn't a suicide. I hope I'm proven wrong but all the signs are there:
1. Her brother mentioned she had been unhappy (I don't remember his exact words). He spoke with her the night before she disappeared and he told her he'd call her the next day. I know they are very close but most adult siblings don't talk every day. I think he was worried about her.
3. She took a leave of absence from teaching. Its unusual to do that with only 8 weeks remaining in the school year. I don't think she would do that unless there was a serious problem.

In cases like this, I think its customary for LE to be silent. I think she's in the woods or water. Spring has arrived in MA and as leaves, weeds, grass and flowers emerge, its going to be tougher to find her, though there will presumably more hikers out in the area to spot some clues. I'm hoping for the best but not optimistic.
Sadly I think too this is what has happened. I hope we are wrong! By all accounts she is such a dedicated teacher that it is highly unusual to take off time with a few months left of school unless it was a very serious emotional upset.

APR 20

Officers from Lee, State Police Special Emergency Response Team, State Police K-9, and Air Wing Units assisted in searching for several days in the heavily wooded hiking area. Lee Police Chief Craig DeSantis said some areas of the woods are thick and have hampered search efforts. Police said there is no evidence that a crime was committed.

Lee police continue search for missing NY woman | WWLP

APR 20

Officers from Lee, State Police Special Emergency Response Team, State Police K-9, and Air Wing Units assisted in searching for several days in the heavily wooded hiking area. Lee Police Chief Craig DeSantis said some areas of the woods are thick and have hampered search efforts. Police said there is no evidence that a crime was committed.

Lee police continue search for missing NY woman | WWLP
Similar story on the front page of Boston.com this evening. Good to see a little publicity - hopefully it helps.
Search for missing NY woman whose car was found in western Mass. continues

So they confirm she checked into a hotel on Thurs. evening. I'm curious what her check-out date was supposed to be. She's a teacher - perhaps she was on spring break that week and wanted to do a little weekend getaway? The Liet. stated in that interview that it was not out of the ordinary for her to get away and do something like this.

It does seem to me that she may have fallen/injured herself to the point she could not get out from the hiking trail. But they also state she had her phone on her and there was activity after she parked, so I'm curious if there is cell phone service where she was hiking? If so, if you are injured or immobilized, it's odd to not call 911 or even someone you know. Unless, of course, she fell and was knocked unconscious. I'm curious if she is a hiker who has a history of trying to go off-trail. I'm assuming if she was still on an established trail, they would have found her?

EDIT: So I just looked up her school district's calendar and there was no day off school that week. If she checked into a hotel on Thurs. night the 24, her district had school the next day, so she must have taken that day off. It looks like they got a break back in Feb. I'm sure LE has spoken with her school; I'm curious if she already called off for that Friday or if they were expecting her.

I live nearby Delmar in the capital region. I work for a non profit counseling and child advocacy center. Apart from center based therapists, we also have some placed in surrounding school districts. Delmar is in the Bethlehem school district- and we do have a therapist placed in the Bethlehem public schools, but not the one she taught at.

If she were planning to take any time off it would make more sense to wait until the week of April 17th (last week) when schools were out for spring break. MOO

I’m just catching up on this thread now, as I’ve only been following the news more locally on it. I came here today hoping there was a thread and very happy to see that it’s here and pretty active.

I am not local to where she was last seen, as I said above, but if there are any developments in our local coverage or questions about the area here, please feel free to ask.

I live nearby Delmar in the capital region. I work for a non profit counseling and child advocacy center. Apart from center based therapists, we also have some placed in surrounding school districts. Delmar is in the Bethlehem school district- and we do have a therapist placed in the Bethlehem public schools, but not the one she taught at.

If she were planning to take any time off it would make more sense to wait until the week of April 17th (last week) when schools were out for spring break. MOO

I’m just catching up on this thread now, as I’ve only been following the news more locally on it. I came here today hoping there was a thread and very happy to see that it’s here and pretty active.

I am not local to where she was last seen, as I said above, but if there are any developments in our local coverage or questions about the area here, please feel free to ask.
Thanks for the local insight. I read that she was planning to check out of the inn on Wed March 30 but it wasn't clear to me if she was returning to school immediately or taking off the rest of the year.

You could easily be correct

But given what we know, I don't really see any signs that shout out self harm.
She is in her 40's. Who has not had a problem that has shaken their foundation by then ?
Her brother and she are friends so I don't find it odd that she would talk to him frequently
Maybe for instance, she was seeing a coworker and he broke up with her and she could not imagine
having to see him everyday at school - hence the loa - hence the unhappy
Or once again any number of things - people have issues they need to work through
They take space to do that sometimes - I don't find it odd. Life can be hard and full of challenges.

What I find unusual is that people think she went for a hike or to look for treasure on a cold rainy raw March New England day. That she walked into the woods leaving her car unlocked.
She may have pulled over to check her phone for navigation /or wanted to check a text/or to cry, etc
Or just to regroup and decide where to next - the weather was not what she expected
Or her tire pressure was low, or any number or reasons
And someone else pulled in, maybe they knocked on her window and wanted directions
or whatever. Or maybe a trucker stopped on the road outside the tiny trailhead on the way to the Mass pike/hwy
The person started up a chat and then things evolved from there
There really would not be signs of a struggle or foul play
A random crime of opportunity
And then she is gone

I travel alone for business through out the US and some international - small towns/ big cities/ the whole enchilada
I try to always add days to my trip to stay around and explore. There are situations that crop up randomly,
seemingly out of nowhere, unless you are vigilant and aware of your surroundings and who is where, it can be dangerous - even in little tiny towns

I think she was preoccupied, sad, vulnerable and alone. She's away from home in this little safe get-a-way buccoli area and someone, seemingly kind, took advantage of her trusting nature

As far as LE saying no foul play is involved, If they do not know what happened to her how do they know ?
I think what they mean is no obvious foul play is involved. JMO today

You could easily be correct

But given what we know, I don't really see any signs that shout out self harm.
She is in her 40's. Who has not had a problem that has shaken their foundation by then ?
Her brother and she are friends so I don't find it odd that she would talk to him frequently
Maybe for instance, she was seeing a coworker and he broke up with her and she could not imagine
having to see him everyday at school - hence the loa - hence the unhappy
Or once again any number of things - people have issues they need to work through
They take space to do that sometimes - I don't find it odd. Life can be hard and full of challenges.

What I find unusual is that people think she went for a hike or to look for treasure on a cold rainy raw March New England day. That she walked into the woods leaving her car unlocked.
She may have pulled over to check her phone for navigation /or wanted to check a text/or to cry, etc
Or just to regroup and decide where to next - the weather was not what she expected
Or her tire pressure was low, or any number or reasons
And someone else pulled in, maybe they knocked on her window and wanted directions
or whatever. Or maybe a trucker stopped on the road outside the tiny trailhead on the way to the Mass pike/hwy
The person started up a chat and then things evolved from there
There really would not be signs of a struggle or foul play
A random crime of opportunity
And then she is gone

I travel alone for business through out the US and some international - small towns/ big cities/ the whole enchilada
I try to always add days to my trip to stay around and explore. There are situations that crop up randomly,
seemingly out of nowhere, unless you are vigilant and aware of your surroundings and who is where, it can be dangerous - even in little tiny towns

I think she was preoccupied, sad, vulnerable and alone. She's away from home in this little safe get-a-way buccoli area and someone, seemingly kind, took advantage of her trusting nature

As far as LE saying no foul play is involved, If they do not know what happened to her how do they know ?
I think what they mean is no obvious foul play is involved. JMO today

All good points. As a local, for me, just because no obvious foul play is involved, doesn't mean there wasn't any - that's for sure. She could have been snatched very quickly. Perhaps someone heard her asking for directions at the Inn to the "park" and followed her. Given that a few sites said the search dogs picked up no scent is suspicious, but how well do they work after bad weather? Then again, I've read some dogs can locate graves of a person months later.

The last phone ping was supposedly determined to be a bit southwest, I think, of the park, in a residential area, still rural and very wooded, just across from the park. Why would she have been there? But I also know that I've read the triangulation of cell phone pings isn't always 100% accurate, esp with obstacles like mountains. Sometimes a ping can be 3/4 mile away from actual location, from what I've read. What's the chance that her cell phone stopped working the day she disappeared? Was it turned off by her or someone else?

I have read a bit about people who are suicidal. Her brother used the phrase "She was suffering and took some time off." Suffering is a strong word. People who feel they may want to end their life aren't always obvious about it, though. I know someone who did take her life, and her family said she was happy and normal the weeks before, no signs, no clues. They were devastated as they had no idea it was coming. Less than half leave a note.

The details given to the public have been very sparse, if any. Did they search the park more than once? All it takes is a searcher to sneeze, close their eyes, and look the other way and they've missed something under a log on the other side of their path. There have been no public searches that I'm aware of. Granted, the terrain is a mix of fields and dense underbrush (thick wild roses with stickers) and woods. Last they need is searchers getting hurt. But the lack of details is strange. <modsnip - rumor>

Last edited by a moderator:
All good points. As a local, for me, just because no obvious foul play is involved, doesn't mean there wasn't any - that's for sure. She could have been snatched very quickly. Perhaps someone heard her asking for directions at the Inn to the "park" and followed her. Given that a few sites said the search dogs picked up no scent is suspicious, but how well do they work after bad weather? Then again, I've read some dogs can locate graves of a person months later.

The last phone ping was supposedly determined to be a bit southwest, I think, of the park, in a residential area, still rural and very wooded, just across from the park. Why would she have been there? But I also know that I've read the triangulation of cell phone pings isn't always 100% accurate, esp with obstacles like mountains. Sometimes a ping can be 3/4 mile away from actual location, from what I've read. What's the chance that her cell phone stopped working the day she disappeared? Was it turned off by her or someone else?

I have read a bit about people who are suicidal. Her brother used the phrase "She was suffering and took some time off." Suffering is a strong word. People who feel they may want to end their life aren't always obvious about it, though. I know someone who did take her life, and her family said she was happy and normal the weeks before, no signs, no clues. They were devastated as they had no idea it was coming. Less than half leave a note.

The details given to the public have been very sparse, if any. Did they search the park more than once? All it takes is a searcher to sneeze, close their eyes, and look the other way and they've missed something under a log on the other side of their path. There have been no public searches that I'm aware of. Granted, the terrain is a mix of fields and dense underbrush (thick wild roses with stickers) and woods. Last they need is searchers getting hurt. But the lack of details is strange. <modsnip - rumor>

My humble opinion is that they have some evidence that she is in the river

It is not an excuse, but it must be terribly difficult to search the banks of the river in that area. It meanders like crazy. Maybe they are monitoring the dam/power plant a bit SW of where her car was found.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214
Back