Found Deceased MA - Michael Doherty, 20, Franklin, 14 May 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are they 100% sure the shoes are his? I haven't heard anyone confirm this yet.

"police confirmed they found his sneakers and blue Nike T-shirt.

Franklin police Sgt. Brian Johnson said Doherty’s sneakers were recovered from opposite sides of the brook, which feeds into the Charles River.

“They have been identified,” Johnson said of the clothing Doherty was last seen in when he headed home early Sunday morning on foot with a dead cellphone in a nor’easter from a house party one mile away from his parents’ home on Catherine Avenue.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/lo...ng_student_s_clothing_found_as_search_expands

When I first heard of the second shoe being found away from the other shoe and shirt, I thought perhaps a crow picked one up and dropped it along the way. Crows are known for swiping things (including golf balls.)

Wow i have no words

When I first heard of the second shoe being found away from the other shoe and shirt, I thought perhaps a crow picked one up and dropped it along the way. Crows are known for swiping things (including golf balls.)

Or thrown over to mislead the search into Bellingham.

Does anyone have any idea how michael carried he sneaker to the other side of the 6 foot deep marsh without getting an mud on it?

The marsh varies in depth. I have read as deep as 7 feet in the brook. But the search area was reported as up to chest high while the picture in this report shows very shallow water;

"Crews assisting in the search include 31 members of the Metropolitan Law Enforcement Consortium and 12 state troopers from the Community Emergency Response Team in addition to three of the department’s K9 teams and firefighters from Franklin, Foxboro, Norfolk and Medway. Johnson said some of the men emerging from the river search are reporting water as deep as chest high."

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/lo...lin_swamp_in_hunt_for_missing_duke_student_20

How far is Hereford and Back Streets, near the Mass. Ave. bridge?

Are you asking about the body found today in the Charles River?
On the TV news witnesses stated the body was skeletonized but no mention of that in Print;

The video here shows them speaking.
http://whdh.com/

ETA: Oops - "“We were walking right by the river and when we looked over there was a dead body,” Colleen Gallagher told 7News. “It appeared to be a male. It looked liked it had been there awhile. It was mostly skeleton.”
http://whdh.com/news/body-pulled-from-bostons-charles-river-police-say/

Wow i have no words

hahaha! :) :) :)
I like to think up bizarre scenarios, and I live in
an area with more than one mischievous crow. :)

I do realize you're of the foul-play angle,
but I'm not wanting to believe that (yet.)

"police confirmed they found his sneakers and blue Nike T-shirt.

Franklin police Sgt. Brian Johnson said Doherty’s sneakers were recovered from opposite sides of the brook, which feeds into the Charles River.

“They have been identified,” Johnson said of the clothing Doherty was last seen in when he headed home early Sunday morning on foot with a dead cellphone in a nor’easter from a house party one mile away from his parents’ home on Catherine Avenue.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/lo...ng_student_s_clothing_found_as_search_expands

Haha thank you! Apparently I missed that ;)

I keep hoping that they've found him. The sneakers being on either side are definitely interesting. And it does sound like paradoxical undressing because there is just no other reasonable explanation I can think of for why he would be undressing. Does anyone know how far away the area his clothes were found is from the house? Would help to have an idea of how long he may have been out there before he got to the marsh...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The issue I have with the hypothermia theory is that it was only 42 degrees... that's not that cold. I understand that wind, rain and being without jacket could make 42 degrees colder. Maybe if he was outside the house for an extended period of time before heading home but even if the hypothermia had started to kick in... doesn't make sense for him to try walk.

He didn't have that far to walk and it wasn't that cold IMO. I grew up in a city similar to Boston weather. When I was 20, going to house parties / clubs without a jacket and in revealing clothing in 42 degree weather was normal.. no one wanted to carry a jacket... so we always "roughed it" as we called it. I remember countless nights walking home freezing my toosh off.

Also, I think for hypothermia to set in.. that means he had to be out there longer which would mean he got lost or disoriented. In order to explained getting disoriented, it's said he was "intoxicated" from the party. But IMO this actually counter acts that... IF he was intoxicated the "alcohol blanket" would have provided him warmth and hypothermia wouldn't have set in at least that quickly..... we always took shots before walking to bars in our mini skirts and skimpy tops to be warm for the walk.

If he grew up in this neighborhood, I think it would take a lot more than some drinks and weed to become lost. I still know my childhood neighborhood and the woods next to my house like the back of my hand... for him to have been seriously disoriented I think he would have had to been on some serious ****. And if he was on some serious ****... then no one at that party should or would have let him walk home.

The details are just too odd for me to simply write off as a lost kid and a tragic accident.

What other than finding his tee shirt is the basis for the hypothermia theory?

I'm not ready to think paradoxical undressing yet but alcohol causes "vasodilation" which in a cold environment will prevent the body from conserving heat by "vasoconstriction' in the extremities, or shutting down blood flow, making a body that could otherwise conserve heat, lose it that much more quickly in an environment where conditions cause continued low temps. In that case at 42 degrees I would lean more toward mild hypothermia than advanced. Paradoxical undressing is an end stage event followed by terminal burrowing. Usually when clothing, and blood, cells and everything is in danger of freezing.
I may not be exactly correct but I lean more toward taking of the shirt and shoes in order to swim across the creek.

JMO

Nothing really... the fact that it "appears" he took off his clothes. LE mentioned in ONE article that hypothermia is a possibility. IMO LE is not pushing hypothermia but more so eliminating that as the first plausible scenario.

Also, potentially the fact that he hasn't been "easily" found since in the later stages of hypothermia the victim apparently buries him/herself. So the train of thought is that if he striped (sign of hypothermia apparently) and if he buried himself to stay warmth... that's why he hasn't been easily found.

Other than that.... Occam's Razor.

These are the reasons so far for hypothermia.

I'm not ready to think paradoxical undressing yet but alcohol causes "vasodilation" which in a cold environment will prevent the body from conserving heat by "vasoconstriction' in the extremities, or shutting down blood flow, making a body that could otherwise conserve heat, lose it that much more quickly in an environment where conditions cause continued low temps. In that case at 42 degrees I would lean more toward mild hypothermia than advanced. Paradoxical undressing is an end stage event followed by terminal burrowing. Usually when clothing, and blood, cells and everything is in danger of freezing.
I may not be exactly correct but I lean more toward taking of the shirt and shoes in order to swim across the creek.

JMO

In that case, he must have been more intoxicated than suggested and I tend to think something else went seriously wrong. It must have been a long and confused night. Poor kid and family.

The issue I have with the hypothermia theory is that it was only 42 degrees... that's not that cold. I understand that wind, rain and being without jacket could make 42 degrees colder. Maybe if he was outside the house for an extended period of time before heading home but even if the hypothermia had started to kick in... doesn't make sense for him to try walk.

He didn't have that far to walk and it wasn't that cold IMO. I grew up in a city similar to Boston weather. When I was 20, going to house parties / clubs without a jacket and in revealing clothing in 42 degree weather was normal.. no one wanted to carry a jacket... so we always "roughed it" as we called it. I remember countless nights walking home freezing my toosh off.

Also, I think for hypothermia to set in.. that means he had to be out there longer which would mean he got lost or disoriented. In order to explained getting disoriented, it's said he was "intoxicated" from the party. But IMO this actually counter acts that... IF he was intoxicated the "alcohol blanket" would have provided him warmth and hypothermia wouldn't have set in at least that quickly..... we always took shots before walking to bars in our mini skirts and skimpy tops to be warm for the walk.

If he grew up in this neighborhood, I think it would take a lot more than some drinks and weed to become lost. I still know my childhood neighborhood and the woods next to my house like the back of my hand... for him to have been seriously disoriented I think he would have had to been on some serious ****. And if he was on some serious ****... then no one at that party should or would have let him walk home.

The details are just too odd for me to simply write off as a lost kid and a tragic accident.

Alcohol consumption will cause hypothermia to set in faster; it's counter-intuitive, but true

Nothing really... the fact that it "appears" he took off his clothes. LE mentioned in ONE article that hypothermia is a possibility. IMO LE is not pushing hypothermia but more so eliminating that as the first plausible scenario.

Also, potentially the fact that he hasn't been "easily" found since in the later stages of hypothermia the victim apparently buries him/herself. So the train of thought is that if he striped (sign of hypothermia apparently) and if he buried himself to stay warmth... that's why he hasn't been easily found.

Other than that.... Occam's Razor.

These are the reasons so far for hypothermia.

I'm not sure that hypothermia would be the most likely assumption, MOO, which is why I asked the question. Thanks for your reply and insight. IMO he never walked out of the party and it was a shorter night than has been assumed or as stated in my other post, the opposite - a long, lost night. JMO

If only friends looked after each other before the search was necessary.

Alcohol consumption will cause hypothermia to set in faster; it's counter-intuitive, but true

:) thank you for correcting me. I thought that might be true but just speaking from my experiences walking in the cold and intentionally getting drunk to be "feel" warmer on the walks to and from the bar.

I'm really hoping for a miracle in this case but in a little over 24 hours it will be a week :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove