Found Deceased MA - Michael Gray, 31, locked out of vehicle, called the police & given a ride, Peabody, 11 Dec 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The body has been identified as Michael. Prayers for Michael's family and loved ones. May he rest in peace. View attachment 398390

JAN 28, 2023
A body that washed up off Edgemere Road on Thursday evening was identified as a missing 31-year-old man last seen in Peabody last month, said Essex County District Attorney Paul Tucker Saturday.

[...]

His body was found across Salem Harbor by a woman walking her dog in town.

The case remains under investigation by the Peabody and Salem Police Departments and State Police troopers from Tucker’s office.
Certainly the worst possible outcome. The beach where his body was found is just across the harbor from Salem.. does seem like he entered the water in Salem. I have friends who live at Salem Willows… hard to believe his sister’s car sat there parked for 7 weeks without anyone calling police, especially in the off season. Also, I can’t wrap my mind around the bizarre chain of events of that fateful night. What I’m not understanding is that his wife spoke of his love for the outdoors and camping and spread the word far and wide for people to check trailheads and campsites in New England… but not a word about him being into cold plunging so waterways need to be checked as well? He was familiar with cold plunging… he was going to sleep at his mom’s in Peabody… so he drives for a cold plunge in Salem first after 9pm? Why not just jump into Spring Pond where his car is parked? The person who found his body saw a “scarf”… that’s how she knew it was a deceased person. Do you wear a scarf to cold plunge? Does anyone know? So many oddities and questions in this terrible story… my heart breaks for his family. So very sad. JMO

Was he found wearing a scarf? Or was one near his body? So much about this case is confusing to me.

I'm not exactly sure what is meant by cold plunging in this context. I thought it was something people did in tub, like an ice bath. But having taken a quick dip outside in the winter--it is not uncommon in other countries where you briefly do so, and then take a sauna--I would expect anyone doing so to wear a bathing suit/similar.

It may be, of course, he went into the water, got dressed or partly dressed, and then had some kind of medical event and fell in or went back in, confusion from getting too cold, maybe? :(

Was he found wearing a scarf? Or was one near his body? So much about this case is confusing to me.

I'm not exactly sure what is meant by cold plunging in this context. I thought it was something people did in tub, like an ice bath. But having taken a quick dip outside in the winter--it is not uncommon in other countries where you briefly do so, and then take a sauna--I would expect anyone doing so to wear a bathing suit/similar.

It may be, of course, he went into the water, got dressed or partly dressed, and then had some kind of medical event and fell in or went back in, confusion from getting too cold, maybe? :(
In the local news reports (some, not all) the person who was walking her dog on the beach said, at first, she “thought it was a Halloween decoration”. Then she “ saw a scarf” and realized it was a body, then ran inside to call 911. Just so strange, sad, and definitely confusing.

In the local news reports (some, not all) the person who was walking her dog on the beach said, at first, she “thought it was a Halloween decoration”. Then she “ saw a scarf” and realized it was a body, then ran inside to call 911. Just so strange, sad, and definitely confusing.
To add… I suppose it is entirely possible the scarf washed up alongside him but, after 7 weeks, I just think it’s unlikely. JMO
The most detailed article on the body being found was posted on 1/26/23 in www.marbleheadcurrent.org online. For some reason I’m having trouble attaching it here. Apologies, though it’s easily accessed with an online search.

Last edited:

It is also often called a polar plunge, and yes usually wearing a swimsuit.

Also important to note imo, is that EVERY person I have ever met who does this, talks about it very often, it is a well known thing that they do, often documented. IF Michael normally did cold plunges, his family would definitely know. I'm curious about that.

I suspect that the family might just be in denial or not wanting to believe he might’ve taken his own life. I hate to say it but it seems like the most likely scenario to me, if foul play is ruled out. With the couple and the fraud I was originally thinking foul play but if no signs then I think he likely was dealing with a lot of things personally. Maybe the frustration over the vehicle and who knows, maybe he discovered he had been robbed too? It could’ve been a tipping point for him? I don’t know. It’s always so hard to understand how a mentally ill person is thinking which is why it’s so hard to predict.
These are all my own personal thoughts on this situation. MOO. I really hope his wife can find the strength to get through this and find peace.

It is also often called a polar plunge, and yes usually wearing a swimsuit.

Also important to note imo, is that EVERY person I have ever met who does this, talks about it very often, it is a well known thing that they do, often documented. IF Michael normally did cold plunges, his family would definitely know. I'm curious about that.
According to his wife, he did polar plunges to clear his mind and handle stress. This bit of information came out AFTER his body was found ... up to that point, people thought maybe he had gone off the grid or somewhere remote to camp out. He had talked about going off grid, and his wife said he frequently requested "alone time" and would go off for a about a week alone. It is unfortunate the polar plunge detail wasn't made public early on, perhaps other local areas would have been searched sooner. They had only been married a few months too. Very tragic. IMO.

Last edited:
I suspect that the family might just be in denial or not wanting to believe he might’ve taken his own life. I hate to say it but it seems like the most likely scenario to me, if foul play is ruled out. With the couple and the fraud I was originally thinking foul play but if no signs then I think he likely was dealing with a lot of things personally. Maybe the frustration over the vehicle and who knows, maybe he discovered he had been robbed too? It could’ve been a tipping point for him? I don’t know. It’s always so hard to understand how a mentally ill person is thinking which is why it’s so hard to predict.
These are all my own personal thoughts on this situation. MOO. I really hope his wife can find the strength to get through this and find peace.
Sadly, I had the same thoughts as well .... very early on in his disappearance, there were tons of social media posts from different people and friends asking for help ... (many of them have been taken down now) ... but I recall one stating he was in a serious mental health crisis. The desperation to find him was palpable ... it is truly heartbreaking. That whole first night was so strange, and not sure why he would jump into the ocean on a very cold night in the winter, alone. Especially if he was familiar with the effects of polar plunging. IMO.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cheeseDreams
Back