MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@TedDanielnews

Judge begins by saying there appears to be discovery violation by the defense with brining in Dr. Marie Russell late in the game.

AJ says the state has also been late in providing discovery and pointed to an "interview" Jennifer McCabe did with Lt. Tully that came in late.

When Judge asks if McCabe needed to be brought back AJ says "I've done the damage that needs to be done to Jennifer McCabe".

9:42 AM · Jun 18, 2024

@KristinaRex

Good morning. It's a day of voir dires in the #KarenReadTrial. Three defense expert witnesses will be on the stand WITHOUT the jury present. The judge will listen to their testimony to determine what they can testify to in front of the jury when the time comes. (1/3)

We are still streaming on http://wbz.com and all our streaming services. I am sitting in the jury box today since the jury isn't present. It's definitely a different experience. Voir dire starts at 9:30. #WBZ (2/3)

There have been voir dires scattered intermittently throughout the trial to determine what evidence can come in -- for Colin Albert, Lt. Lank, Trooper Paul, to name a few. Dr. Marie Russell will be interviewed today. State wants her excluded from trial. (3/4 sorry)

Dr. Russell is a defense expert witness -- an emergency room doc who didn't treat John O'Keefe but who would testify for the defense that his injuries were consistent with that of a dog attack. Commonwealth wants her excluded from trial. (4/4)

Before any voir dire, there's debate between attorneys about WHAT exactly they can ask. Defense wants to ask only about qualifications/credentials, state wants to hear witnesses' testimony. Defense says that would be giving CW a practice round, "two bites at the apple."

Judge Cannone says she is not going to limit what the Commonwealth can ask Dr. Russell in a voir dire today. "The alternative is that she doesn't testify," the judge says. Dr. Russell now being called in for her voir dire.

Dr. Marie Russell is a retired emergency doctor and forensic pathologist. She went to MIT for a year for pre-med courses in the 70s then took a break to become a police officer in Malden for 7 years.

@BienickWCVB

She did a year of pre-med at MIT, attended BPD police academy, has a BS from Northeastern and MD from UMass in 1987. Later did residencies at LA-USC trauma center and LA County coroner's office.

Russell said she treated and oversaw treatment for numerous patients from car crashes and other trauma, including animal attacks.

Dog bites.
Scratch marks.
parallel wounds, caused by nails or teeth.
also puncture wounds on T shirt of victim.
Distal wound close to wrist consistent with arch injury where are close together and curved
ETA- Dr Russel's words

@TedDanielnews

Dr. Marie Russell is an ER doctor, former police officer, and forensic pathologist who says she's seen hundreds of dog bites in her career.

She tells AJ the wounds on John O'Keefe's arm "appear to be consistent with an animal attack... they are consistent with a large dog attack… combination of bite wounds and scratches"

10:10 AM · Jun 18, 2024

Reading the text messages is interesting. Did anyone come away from those with the impression that it wasn’t that serious of a relationship? I had kind of already suspected this purely on the fact that they didn’t live together and weren’t engaged after 2 years.

But when she mentions her medical issues, “physically I’m falling apart,” surely this is something that a serious partner would already know and not need to be told about via text.

Not really sure what point I’m making or which it side it benefits, just an observation. MOO.

Also, when JO mentions something about “it’s been an issue for 8 years” (images were hard to read but I think that’s what it said) was he referring to the kids?
She threw her medical issues into the mix in an attempt to make him feel sorry for her. She's in her mid 40's, the relationship was on the skids, he's done with her and she's being pathetic to evoke sympathy so he won't leave her. He doesn't want to argue with her, he's tired of that cycle but she still messages him and calls him. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
@JHall7news

Dr Russell says it is her opinion that the injuries found on O'Keefe's arm are consistent with an animal attack. When asked if she can narrow that down to a dog attack, she says injuries are consistent with a large dog attack.

Dr Russell says she noted puncture wounds to victim's shirt. Cannone asks - puncture wounds to a shirt? Russell says puncture holes to the shirt.

10:12 AM · Jun 18, 2024

It seems that way, but I was not impressed with AJ's argument. Basically, the CW was late providing discovery too!
That may appear true but the CW was late with discovery during the entire pre trial period and then in the couple of months before trial both defense and cw asked for a later start to trial on the basis they didn’t have everything in but Cannone refused to push trial back further. Seems unfair to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xxxooowow