MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unbelievable how simple facts can be excluded as prejuidicial???
I go back and forth. Imagine if the FBI was investigating KR herself for something. I don't think it would be fair to introduce in the trial because "FBI investigation" is absolutely going to impact the jurors' opinions but since it's an ongoing investigation, it wouldn't be fair to draw conclusions that haven't been made yet. But then I also feel like you can't really compare a defendant being investigated to LE being investigated by the FBI. One of those is a much bigger deal and directly impacts every facet of this case.

IMO, it was an easy call to delay this until the FBI investigation finished and I can't understand why the judge refused.

I’m imagining that if the jury realized the investigation was being investigated (!), it could be prejudicial.

Ryan Nagel let the cat out of the bag on the stand when he mentioned testifying in the "Feds investigation". I'm sure at least a couple of the jurors took note and will share in deliberations in case others didn't register it.

An open secret so to speak.

I would be interested to know the speed of an object when thrown by Proctor..er.. a human.
To answer my own question, a highball glass weighs roughly 6 ounces, a baseball weighs roughly 5 ounces.

For a human male, max avg speed for a thrown baseball is 45 to 60 mph. So someone could have actually thrown a glass at the car at the speed tested if they thought that was a good way to make it look like the car hit the glass in JOs hand. JMO

IMG_1238.png

I’m imagining that if the jury realized the investigation was being investigated (!), it could be prejudicial.
That's it I believe and it's important that it doesn't influence them imo. I think the judge will provide some sort of instruction to that effect in regards to the unnamed agency and the unnamed hearing (fed GJ) that have been raised in testimony and by counsel at various points in the trial. Jmo

I go back and forth. Imagine if the FBI was investigating KR herself for something. I don't think it would be fair to introduce in the trial because "FBI investigation" is absolutely going to impact the jurors' opinions but since it's an ongoing investigation, it wouldn't be fair to draw conclusions that haven't been made yet. But then I also feel like you can't really compare a defendant being investigated to LE being investigated by the FBI. One of those is a much bigger deal and directly impacts every facet of this case.
It would have probably caused the jury to completely disbelieve everything LE was saying in this case.
I'll leave others to decide whether that reaction would have been warranted.

I think prosecution utterly failed to inflict any damage during cross examination with the only exception being when he asked if a collision of 1-5 mph could have caused the damage to the taillight. It is potentially significant that the defense witness agreed that such a slow collision could not have caused the damage.

@SueNBCBoston

Chaos has returned to the press line.
We had been lining up starting around 6a for one of the 10 press spots at the beginning of the trial.
Due to events around May 17, which resulted in a restraining order being taken out against a member of the press line on May 20…

…we were not allowed to line up on court property, so we have had to line up on the public sidewalks in front of the courthouse.
Over the weeks, an informal agreement among the press emerged.
The court has offered no guidance.

I think you might be conflating two different statements. He said the damage to the taillight on KR's car is similar to the damage in their tests when they fired a glass at the taillight at 37mph. He then says the injuries on JO's arm are not consistent with being hit by a car.

That's great for the defense. He's disputing the CW's theory AND providing a potential other explanation for the broken taillight and the glass evidence - the defense doesn't need to prove anything, just provide other, logical scenarios to explain XYZ

***I will add the caveat that I have no clue if 37mph is a reasonable speed for someone to throw a glass at. I have absolutely zero frame of reference lol. If it's not, that still helps the defense that a glass at a fairly higher speed than KR driving is what caused that damage.
Good question….. one possible reference point might be, that IIRC a typical fast ball pitch by an MLB pitcher is on the order of ~90 mph or more, near 100 mph. So this test is approximating about a 1/3 of that speed. Offering this only as a comparison and have no idea of particulars in this case. MOO

Last edited:
@SueNBCBoston

Today, someone put out chairs during court. Someone else showed up, saw chairs were out, and put their chair in front of the first chair.

And, a reporter from a national news service showed up, for the first time, and said he was eschewing our guidelines and was showing up at 4, because the chairs don’t count.
Im told the Dedham Police have been called, not that anything will happen.

Access to court for press isn’t usually handled this way, but like everything else in the Karen Read Trial, it’s not on the reg.

I think prosecution utterly failed to inflict any damage during cross examination with the only exception being when he asked if a collision of 1-5 mph could have caused the damage to the taillight. It is potentially significant that the defense witness agreed that such a slow collision could not have caused the damage.
Keep in mind that the damage this witness saw is the shattered taillight. Not the cracked one that witnesses saw before LE took possession.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member