VERDICT WATCH MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian Albert and his family didn't even bother to come out of their house while JOK lay dying on their front lawn. They didn't attend JOK's funeral.
Yet they all filed in to court on the final day of the trial, and sat facing the jury on the day they are to begin their deliberations.

It's abhorrent behaviour.
Brian Albert and Brian Higgins travelled all the way to NY for a funeral of a cop they never met. But didn't go to the funeral of a Boston cop whom they knew personally, in fact they were some of the last people to see him alive?

Goodness ! Whose brainy idea was that?
:rolleyes:
Why are they reporting it as that Brian Albert etc. are WITH the O'Keefes? How do they know they are "together"? Did they arrive in the same car? Or were they all holding hands or what??? Maybe the O'Keefes don't even want them sitting with them! How could they tell? What makes them "with" the O'Keefe family today? How would it look different if they were merely walking in at the same time and sitting on the same bench?

There's one piece of proof that is more important than the rest put together - which is, did KR's car actually hit JOK? The unbiased testimony of the FBI elite experts in finding what was physically possible, and what was not, made that answer a clear and unchallenged no. It could NOT have hit him. That scene and those injuries could NOT have been caused by a car hitting him. (The cw had no one who could or would actually testify otherwise, because, well, the facts are the facts.)

The rest is just mud wrestling over what to make of the other pieces brought to court, in light of that one scientifically-proven, unchallenged fact.

If KR's car did not hit, you must acquit.
There is no element of the murder charge which stipulates that the defendant's car must have hit JOK. The language of [the elements of] the charge is that she did an intentional act which a reasonable person would have known created a plain and strong likelihood that death would result. If she reversed towards him and caused him to fall as he tried to get out of the way, the elements are satisfied IMO.

Linking the video of the jury instructions for the murder charge, starting at about the 4 hrs mark

All I have to say is… is that if KR is found NG she and her family should get out of MA for their own sake. (I realize that sounds bad & I don’t mean it in a threatening way )
But seriously. This may upset many cops and “powerful people” having poor investigations brought to light. I worry that if she/someone she’s close with were to need a cop/DA/trooper/etc - they might hold a grudge.
What if she got pulled over by Tpr. Proctor in the future ? That’s a nightmare.
I don't think it's going to be "Trooper" Proctor for long. Jmoo

I don't think officers are going to be rushing to support this group, not if they value their jobs. jmoo

Prosecutors have absolute immunity to civil lawsuits.

I get that the prosecutor does, but does the State of Massachusetts have civil immunity from agents fabricated evidence? I don't know the answer but I have seen in a different state, a civil lawsuit alleging breach of constitutional rights by law enforcement.

I remain hopeful of the jury.

My guess(based on reporters’ updates posted here on WS of their behavior/body language/mannerisms), is that they are much like us. Bored by Lally.

Many of us, myself included, have mentioned how we tune him out or mute him while watching. In this respect, I’m glad AJ got to present his closing first. The jury was fresh and attentive. By the time Lally got up, the jury was in need of a break they didn’t get, and likely tuned him out or weren’t as attentive as they may have been if he’d gone first.

Their notebooks, memories of testimony and inverted videos, along with strong moral compasses will hopefully guide them to the right conclusion despite the CW trying to pull the wool over their eyes.

There it's is!!!!!!!!!!!! BAM!!!!

I just got off work so I haven't been able to read all the posts yet. However, I want to comment on a few things.

Someone said earlier they felt Lally gas lit the jury. I've been thinking about that. Gaslighting is powerful, it's deceptive, sneaky and deadly coy.

We already know gaslighting someone is where a person(s) makes you doubt yourself or question your account of an incident.

Something happened a few years ago to one of my daughters, and I feel the same thing happened to KR.

Long story short my daughter was staying the weekend with my sister. My sister was buzzed and talked my daughter into going down to the gas station to buy her another 12 pack of beer. In the process my daughter backed into someone, the police were called, it was a disaster.

I tried to explain to my daughter and my sister that after hearing everything my daughter was not in the wrong it wasn't her fault. However, after listening to everything and reading the police report I was asked by insurance to travel to that town and take pictures of that gas station.

When I got there and I took the pictures that's when I really realized it was actually impossible for my daughter to hit this woman. (The woman hit her) After I sent my pics and my statement the case was dropped.

My daughter was dead set that she hit the other woman and that it was her fault. That's it, dead set!! And she absolutely would not listen to me. But, later what I figured out is, after my daughter got back to my sister's and she told her what happened, my sister went on for the next 2-3 hours berating her. She was yelling at her mocking her. Actually it went on for weeks.

The bottom line was my sister felt guilty for sending her to go get more beer. Sooo to make herself feel better she berated my daughter. She gaslit my daughter. As long as my daughter felt it was her fault then my sister escaped guilt.

I feel strongly the same thing happened to KR. She was gaslit into believing she hit him and killed him. She was made to doubt her situation and question her own account of the incident. She was an easy target, and already said because of the drinking she couldn't remember the night before.

Listen again to JM's testimony, the 911 call and her courtroom stare downs. She even mocked her on the 911 call saying: "She doesn't even have a blankets in her car?!"

Whatever happened in that house I don't think it was meant to go that far. However KR was an easy target. After she got to the scene, you can literally see the gas lighting penetrating the crime scene and how KR was reacting to it. By the time she left there she was convinced she hit him.

Gaslighting and corrosive control is deadly yet very very real. And it was used in self preservation for those in that were in that house that night.
Yes! From the moment KR had any contact with JM she was probably being gaslit and was especially vulnerable because she didn’t remember anything after the WF bar, she was probably hungover and sleep deprived and after seeing JOK laying on lawn was probably in shock. It’s crazy how some people will believe “ eyewitness accounts” with skin in the game rather than the science and unbiased experts and hard evidence. Among other facts in this case the fact that there was no investigation of, search warrants, interviews with the occupants where JOK was dying or dead on their front lawn after partying with the homeowners all night is just mind boggling. Corrupticut move in over… we now have Massacorruptchusetts on the board…

I get that the prosecutor does, but does the State of Massachusetts have civil immunity from agents fabricated evidence? I don't know the answer but I have seen in a different state, a civil lawsuit alleging breach of constitutional rights by law enforcement.
Thanks Mr J. Just quickly wanted to ask if you're referring to Barry Morphew? Not really following that one closely but remember reading posts about a civil suit he launched after case dismissal without prejudice. Just wondering about any potential future options for the O'Keefes as much as for KR (if jury does its duty). I don't know anything about these sorts of suits and still educating myself. moo

There is no element of the murder charge which stipulates that the defendant's car must have hit JOK. The language of [the elements of] the charge is that she did an intentional act which a reasonable person would have known created a plain and strong likelihood that death would result. If she reversed towards him and caused him to fall as he tried to get out of the way, the elements are satisfied IMO.

Linking the video of the jury instructions for the murder charge, starting at about the 4 hrs mark

Hi @Tortoise - nice to 'see' you on another verdict watch!

While I agree with you technically, in general the prosecution is required to particularise the acts/events that constitute to the actus reus of the crime. I think if a juror thinks the she never hit him in the first place, then what about the taillight glass and his elbow marks .... (?) so how can you even find anymore she ever did the act of intentionally trying to hit him with the car?

So what you say could be murder, but there is no proof to support it, IMO - in fact, it cannot have happened?

My wild speculation!

I’m sure AJ couldn’t get away with saying this, but I really wanted him to say, “Brian Albert came all the way to this courtroom but couldn’t walk 20 feet outside his front door to help a dying man.” Or go to the funeral I suppose! Pick your poison!
He was asked by a journalist, outside the court why he thought they came and he replied 'Intimidation', simple as. Vid upthread.

There's one piece of proof that is more important than the rest put together - which is, did KR's car actually hit JOK? The unbiased testimony of the FBI elite experts in finding what was physically possible, and what was not, made that answer a clear and unchallenged no. It could NOT have hit him. That scene and those injuries could NOT have been caused by a car hitting him. (The cw had no one who could or would actually testify otherwise, because, well, the facts are the facts.)

The rest is just mud wrestling over what to make of the other pieces brought to court, in light of that one scientifically-proven, unchallenged fact.

I started out in the Guilty camp, but this right here above is what it came down to for me. As someone who is still dizzy from all the spinning of defense lawyers in other cases I follow (Morphew and Delphi), I pretty much discount any pre-trial statements from defense attorneys as spin, if not outright half-truths as best. In general, I am about as pro-prosecution as they come. If I follow a trial, I tune out the defense, never watch their closing arguments, and just generally roll my eyes at everything they say. (Yes, I know, I would make a terrible juror.) Even when people said "But the FBI report said she couldn't have hit him..." I thought, yeah, that's what the Defense said the report says, but I don't trust them. Add in the Turtleboy and online blogger noise and I was highly skeptical.

Fast-forward to the trial. Days and days of absolute nonsense about snow, a parade of hostile witnesses, Troopah Proctah and his abhorrent texts, total lack of chain of custody on the evidence, lack of following protocols and demonstrating any type of competence in testing for DNA - they didn't DNA swipe the arm wounds, who knows where on the shirt they swabbed, and there was only touch DNA on the taillight, the taillight that left those inexplicable wounds on his arm? C'mon! I was still open-minded until the end, though was skipping pages and pages of mind-numbing irrelevant testimony (the Aruba stuff - are you kidding me?) and shouting Monty Python style "GET ON WITH IT!" - expecting a highly-competent accident reconstructionist, complete with 3D computer animations that would show exactly how this highly-improbable vehicle hit happened, along with a super-imposition of the taillight fragment edge matching the wounds on JOK's arm. Instead, we were served a big fat Nothingburger of incompetence, guesses, ambiguity, STUFF, and oh yeah, a huge helping of reasonable doubt.

Defense case, on the other hand...those unbiased, credible, credentialed, qualified, authoritative expert witnesses were *chef's kiss*...I didn't get to see much of Yanetti, but Alan Jackson - I'd hire him in a second. I went from "she probably did hit him, but there's not enough evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt" to "there is a very slight possibility that she did hit him in a one-of-a-kind world's most weird and atypical sideswipe while he was in some weird half-bent position that sent him pirouetting in the air where his head struck the flagpole...nah, never mind. She didn't hit him."

I don't have a strong theory of what actually happened. And sadly, thanks to the incompetence of everyone involved, we likely never will, even with the FBIs involvement - but maybe!

I predict a NG verdict by lunch time. But...yeah. Juries are unpredictable, and you never know.

Last edited:
Lally came out swinging in closing argument, which then rapidly descended into nonsense.

The verdict will likely come down to personality preferences.'"People hear what the want to hear and disregard the rest". (Simon and Garfunkel).

Did Jackson and Yanettis charisma do enough to win over the jury? Lally was for most part annoying IMO.
in a case where closing argument is limited to one hour and case went over 8 weeks ...and every word matters...Lally uses his time to talk about KR wearing her shoes in the house as some indication of guilt??? Guy will never live this down.

If we're talking about more subtle influences on a jury such as charisma. then Lally's lack of probably hasn't been helped by hits to his credibility owing to inconsistency, misleading presentation of evidence and lies in closing statement. moo

But I still believe in general that the vast majority of jurors will take their duties seriously, and attempt to deliberate on evidence rather than personalities. moo
forget "charisma" Lally never showed any signs of being anything other than a guy doing his job. Not sharing the duties with another co counsel big mistake. No emotion....nothing in such a long trial. Never a smile nothing. I did not pay close attention but often attorneys of opposing sides have some chit chat or interaction. Lally was a one man show and sure did not enhance his career in this case.

Exactly- no contact with the car what so ever is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB