VERDICT WATCH MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian Albert and his family didn't even bother to come out of their house while JOK lay dying on their front lawn. They didn't attend JOK's funeral.
Yet they all filed in to court on the final day of the trial, and sat facing the jury on the day they are to begin their deliberations.

It's abhorrent behaviour.
and I think their presence was suggested by Lally to show that the grieving family supports them and the CW case. They did not even really know JO other than by acquaintance. It is yet another indication of how tone deaf Lally is. I think they confirmed the fact that KR did not do this.

Exactly- no contact with the car what so ever is required.

Hi @Curiousobserver

I followed your arguments with some interest in recent weeks! Just thought I'd send some positive feedback your way.

Devils advocate here. If there was no contact with the SUV, how did he get the marks on his arm and tail light fragments on his clothes? Aren't you reduced to speculating about how he died at that point?

MOO

Why are they reporting it as that Brian Albert etc. are WITH the O'Keefes? How do they know they are "together"? Did they arrive in the same car? Or were they all holding hands or what??? Maybe the O'Keefes don't even want them sitting with them! How could they tell? What makes them "with" the O'Keefe family today? How would it look different if they were merely walking in at the same time and sitting on the same bench?
I may be wrong but JO's family gets those two rows just like the Read family. I guess if they don't have enough to fill it they can then seat others. I guess someone in courtroom would have to say if they were speaking during breaks etc. John's brother has not looked left or right during whole trial...I guess for all we know he is wondering who really killed his brother....but the way he looks at KR it seems a look of hate.

and I think their presence was suggested by Lally to show that the grieving family supports them and the CW case. They did not even really know JO other than by acquaintance. It is yet another indication of how tone deaf Lally is. I think they confirmed the fact that KR did not do this.
I was thinking they likely turned up exclusively under their own steam, but your speculation that Lally had a hand sounds pretty plausible too. The prosecution was in dire straits and Lally played KR's voice mails to try and stir up juror prejudice jmo so I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to call in <name variation> in a similar attempt to evoke emotional response and confusion in jury. jmo

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Tortoise - nice to 'see' you on another verdict watch!

While I agree with you technically, in general the prosecution is required to particularise the acts/events that constitute to the actus reus of the crime. I think if a juror thinks the she never hit him in the first place, then what about the taillight glass and his elbow marks .... (?) so how can you even find anymore she ever did the act of intentionally trying to hit him with the car?

So what you say could be murder, but there is no proof to support it, IMO - in fact, it cannot have happened?

My wild speculation!
It reminds me of the McStay family murders in that respect, where the prosecutors had to theorise what could have gone down. I think JOK was most likely not standing upright at the time of this incident, with his head at the height of the taillight, perhaps his right hand on his thigh, elbow sticking out, or putting his phone in his back pocket, the other hand holding his glass. I think his shoe coming off shows an awkward move to get out of the way last minute, or a heavy stumble. His hair was left on the bumper and his touch dna was on the taillight housing. I think it's something like a glancing blow. IMO

Hi @Curiousobserver

I followed your arguments with some interest in recent weeks! Just thought I'd send some positive feedback your way.

Devils advocate here. If there was no contact with the SUV, how did he get the marks on his arm and tail light fragments on his clothes? Aren't you reduced to speculating about how he died at that point?

MOO
I have no idea how it happened and we never will- I am simply reminding those who think she is innocent of that charge because technically LE cannot prove she hit him; that is incorrect.

@BienickWCVB

#KarenRead Good morning. The jury will return to continue its deliberations. They deliberated for about three hours on Tuesday afternoon. The final jury is made up of six women and six men. At the end of the judge's instructions, she encouraged them to take their time.

The court clerk has said that once a verdict is reached, they will give lawyers, family members and reporters 30 minutes to assemble in the courtroom before it is read.

WCVB will provide live coverage of the verdict reading online and on air.

I have no idea how it happened and we never will- I am simply reminding those who think she is innocent of that charge because technically LE cannot prove she hit him; that is incorrect.
Yes the trail of destruction, starting with his shoe, the shards of glass and plastic, the drinking straw, and his cap, and the defendant reversing at speed in a straight line for over 60 feet, her comments about the possibility of him being hit by a snow plow, and spotting his location when he was at that time covered with snow, are all pertinent facts leading in one direction IMO, without knowing the dynamics of how it happened precisely.

I just don't see how any jury could possibly vote to convict after hearing the medical testimony and the engineering testimony.

"You cannot deny the science and the physics."

I also find the audio recording of the defendant's reaction to John's body to be pretty powerful and exculpatory. She was clearly in a state of extreme emotional disturbance, to the point where I don't find it believable that she could have had any prior knowledge of that body being there.

@BienickWCVB

Karen Read is here. She's smiling as she talks with her attorneys David Yannetti and Elizabeth Little. Alan Jackson is talking with Read's friends and family members. The O'Keefe family is not yet here.

The O'Keefe family arrives including John's parents and his brother Paul. During closing arguments, Colin Albert, Jen McCabe, Brian Albert and Kerry Roberts were sitting with the O'Keefe's. They are not here now.

I started out in the Guilty camp, but this right here above is what it came down to for me. As someone who is still dizzy from all the spinning of defense lawyers in other cases I follow (Morphew and Delphi), I pretty much discount any pre-trial statements from defense attorneys as spin, if not outright half-truths as best. In general, I am about as pro-prosecution as they come. If I follow a trial, I tune out the defense, never watch their closing arguments, and just generally roll my eyes at everything they say. (Yes, I know, I would make a terrible juror.) Even when people said "But the FBI report said she couldn't have hit him..." I thought, yeah, that's what the Defense said the report says, but I don't trust them. Add in the Turtleboy and online blogger noise and I was highly skeptical.

Fast-forward to the trial. Days and days of absolute nonsense about snow, a parade of hostile witnesses, Troopah Proctah and his abhorrent texts, total lack of chain of custody on the evidence, lack of following protocols and demonstrating any type of competence in testing for DNA - they didn't DNA swipe the arm wounds, who knows where on the shirt they swabbed, and there was only touch DNA on the taillight, the taillight that left those inexplicable wounds on his arm? C'mon! I was still open-minded until the end, though was skipping pages and pages of mind-numbing irrelevant testimony (the Aruba stuff - are you kidding me?) and shouting Monty Python style "GET ON WITH IT!" - expecting a highly-competent accident reconstructionist, complete with 3D computer animations that would show exactly how this highly-improbable vehicle hit happened, along with a super-imposition of the taillight fragment edge matching the wounds on JOK's arm. Instead, we were served a big fat Nothingburger of incompetence, guesses, ambiguity, STUFF, and oh yeah, a huge helping of reasonable doubt.

Defense case, on the other hand...those unbiased, credible, credentialed, qualified, authoritative expert witnesses were *chef's kiss*...I didn't get to see much of Yanetti, but Alan Jackson - I'd hire him in a second. I went from "she probably did hit him, but there's not enough evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt" to "there is a very slight possibility that she did hit him in a one-of-a-kind world's most weird and atypical sideswipe while he was in some weird half-bent position that sent him pirouetting in the air where his head struck the flagpole...nah, never mind. She didn't hit him."

I don't have a strong theory of what actually happened. And sadly, thanks to the incompetence of everyone involved, we likely never will, even with the FBIs involvement - but maybe!

I predict a NG verdict by lunch time. But...yeah. Juries are unpredictable, and you never know.
I am pretty much the same, I came into this pro-prosecution but when all the witnesses in the house came up, I was appalled at everything they didn't remember, the thrown out phones, the butt dials etc. When I saw the photos of JOK's arm, the first thing that came to mind was dog bite or scratches. Knowing they rehomed the dog even though they didn't do that with previous bite history made no sense.

I hope KR is acquitted of everything and that this case isn't closed. They have to find out what happened in that house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member