VERDICT WATCH MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking they likely turned up exclusively under their own steam, but your speculation that Lally had a hand sounds pretty plausible too. The prosecution was in dire straits and Lally played KR's voice mails to try and stir up juror prejudice jmo so I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to call in <name variation> in a similar attempt to evoke emotional response and confusion in jury. jmo
I think Lally was correct he did "evoke emotional response" to many...one of disgust and reminder of how much these people lied.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the trail of destruction, starting with his shoe, the shards of glass and plastic, the drinking straw, and his cap, and the defendant reversing at speed in a straight line for over 60 feet, her comments about the possibility of him being hit by a snow plow, and spotting his location when he was at that time covered with snow, are all pertinent facts leading in one direction IMO, without knowing the dynamics of how it happened precisely.
Personally, I think she accidently hit him while drunk and very angry. I think she had no idea until she saw him lying there in the snow, then she realized what probably happened.

One possible scenario is they were fighting on the way over, both nearly blacked out drunk. She scratched him leaving marks on his arm through his thin sweatshirt. Growing up with 3 sisters I can personally attest this is possible. He gets out of the car, and does something to set her off, like kicking the back of the car, breaking the tail light, and loosing his shoe. She starts to drive off but the rage kicks in and she does the backup at 24mph. He dives out of the way, or is glanced by the car, transferring pieces of the cracked tail light onto him while he falls backward and hits head on the curb. The end. And you can imagine multiple other reasonable scenarios, none of which the mythbusters that testified this week tested.

@TedDanielnews

Judge just announced that jury wants to complete their deliberations by 4pm today because one of the jurors has a commitment. Both sides say fine. They will work until 4pm today and if no verdict by then return tomorrow.

9:31 AM · Jun 26, 2024
Oh ok. Sorry thread! I didn't see 4pm in earlier tweets, and the wording seemed like juror wanting to leave right then. one oftthe reasons trial by tweet for spectators can be very confusing sometimes.

I remember back when this first happened, Karen’s attorney wasn’t even disputing that his client had hit John. He said it was an accident, and said she had been overcharged.

Yes, she was likely drunk and confused, but she did believe she hit him, which is why her attorney would have taken that tact.

It wasn’t until later this conspiracy yarn was spun, which I think was a brilliant strategy, supported by sloppy police work and an incredible bunch of liars.

I have to make way more leaps to believe the latter than I do the former. But there are massive issues that will no matter what, leave what happened open to debate for me.

So “more probable than not,” but not “beyond a reasonable doubt.”
Initially I too believed she accidentally hit him, didn't remember, didn't intend to and was overcharged. I think she believed she had hit him because she couldn't remember and initially the facts seemed to point in that direction. So yes, her attorney would also believe that... UNTIL the evidence started coming in. There were so many great witnesses that I believe proved she did not hit him. There were no witnesses that proved to me that she did hit him. I can't say what really did happen, and sadly we will probably never know because there was such shoddy and I believe crooked police work. I feel badly for JO family that there will likely never be justice for JO.

I really can't wait to see what the FBI investigation uncovers

@BienickWCVB

Karen Read is here. She's smiling as she talks with her attorneys David Yannetti and Elizabeth Little. Alan Jackson is talking with Read's friends and family members. The O'Keefe family is not yet here.

The O'Keefe family arrives including John's parents and his brother Paul. During closing arguments, Colin Albert, Jen McCabe, Brian Albert and Kerry Roberts were sitting with the O'Keefe's. They are not here now.
I doubt they will show up for verdict either. It was a Lally stunt and like all others..having their faces behind the O'Keefe family failed.

@BienickWCVB

Assistant District Attorneys Adam Lally and Laura McLauglin arrives. Lally is carrying a pile of documents and begins reviewing them. Read and her attorneys are sitting at the defense table with nothing in front of them.

The jury enters. So does the judge.

The two alternates are also here. One of the alternates wipes her eyes and appears to be crying.
got to wonder why an alternate would be crying already this morning.???

There is not going to be a hung jury. I assure you, the judge is not going to allow hung jury after how long this trial has been. She will keep them deliberating for millenia, if necessary.
I think it's entirely possible. The judge might send them back several times if that's the case, but cannot hold them hostage forever. And given what's gone on with this case, I think there's a good chance there will be a holdout on one side or the other.

While I think it is insane to think KR is guilty, and there was never any case against her to begin with, the fix has been in from the start and it is important to remember juries are made up of 'average' people of 'average' intelligence.

So really anything could happen.

Can you believe they extended the contract despite 400+ letters and clear public outrage to say nothing of documented poor performance. Chris Albert had to recuse himself for obvious reasons. What a pity only one select person spoke up and voted against it.
something very wrong there.
Reckon the Feds will have their work cut out for them if they actually conduct a thorough investigation.. wheels within wheels..

Oh ok. Sorry thread! I didn't see 4pm in earlier tweets, and the wording seemed like juror wanting to leave right then. one oftthe reasons trial by tweet for spectators can be very confusing sometimes.
Agreed. That is why I post several commentators/reporters posts to gather their perspective and also for clarity. moo

Lally introduced a recording during the trial of KR saying that JO was beaten up by the Alberts and the cops were ignoring his severe injuries to focus on her cracked taillight, I can’t remember the exact date but it had to have been from the day she was arrested at the latest, so 3 days after. The “conspiracy” theory had been there from the beginning and I can’t understand why Lally wanted that video played for the jury.

Also, early on the police told the media they have video footage of her hitting JO. I’m certain that’s where Yanetti’s comments stemmed from
I remember that too, something to the effect, you are ignoring his pulverized head and looking at my cracked tail light, are we all in on the same joke?

While I think it is insane to think KR is guilty, and there was never any case against her to begin with, the fix has been in from the start and it is important to remember juries are made up of 'average' people of 'average' intelligence.

So really anything could happen.
I get your point but might be other factors play a role too? Really it just takes an average or normal level of intelligence to understand the experts from Arca and the dog bite experts imo. It was clear and unequivocal. I don't think intelligence is a key factor jmo, more like obtuseness, anxiousness, possibly some fear of consequences, umovable conviction in spite of evidence, dislike of basic science and things like that. just speculation on my part moo

edit typo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members