VERDICT WATCH MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What to know about the case:

• Karen Read, 44, of Mansfield, is accused of second-degree murder and other charges. The prosecution says she hit her boyfriend, Boston police officer John O'Keefe, with her vehicle outside of a home in Canton during a snowstorm on Jan. 29, 2022, following a night of drinking. She returned hours later to find him in a snowbank.
  • Read has pleaded not guilty.
  • Read and her defense team claim she is the victim of a cover-up and plan to present a third-party culprit defense. They claim O'Keefe was beaten inside the home, bitten by a dog, and then left outside.
  • In pretrial motions, prosecutors revealed the existence of text messages they said suggested a "romantic entanglement" with a friend who was present at locations Read and O'Keefe visited on the night of the incident. Other documents have also suggested trouble in the relationship between Read and O'Keefe.
  • Read is also accused of having frequent contact with a controversial blogger known as "Turtleboy," Aiden Kearney, who now faces charges in related cases.
  • Opening statements were delivered on April 29 and closing arguments were delivered on June 25.

Updated: 5:49 AM EDT Jun 26, 2024

1719411205872.png

1719411216907.png

1719411228317.png

“I don’t really care how it always is in Massachusetts. I care if it’s appropriate. Let me make my argument while it’s not appropriate.” Alan Jackson says. “I’d like an answer from the court, how do they decide she’s not guilty?” (2/4)

“They don’t check the box that says, ‘guilty,’” Judge Cannone says.“That’s not how it should be and it’s over our strong objection,” Jackson says.“It’s immediately appealable…it’s almost like the court is directing” a guilty verdict, Jackson says. (3/4)

“Excuse me, is this funny, Ms. Read?” Judge Cannone says in response to Karen Read's facial reaction.‘We’re done,” Judge says. (4/4)

IMO you are thinking the wrong way. And totally missing the point of this investigation. The pressure will be on cops in Canton. FBI is on it in this casé. And two other cases are under investigation
Can someone explain the fbi investigations? There’s one ongoing regarding the actual (non) investigation of JOK being found at BA’s property right? Then there’s 2 more? So interesting.

I feel there was absolutely a cover up from jump. And I feel like the <modsnip - name variations are not allowed> (and some others) absolutely lied on the stand. Will those people (BA, NA, CA, CA, JA, J and M Mc, BH) … well are they under some kind of perjury (and worse, much worse) investigation? Tia!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea I wouldn't want to hazard a guess as to what that means for either side. She is an alternate though if I read correctly earlier.
an alternate and at this point she should not be aware at all how it is going in the deliberation room. It is an odd observation unless she has allergies and reported as crying?

So...from what I gathered from that brief bit, is AJ was upset that the VERDICT FORMS did not have a Not Guilty box to check, which he thought was agreed to yesterday. Judge Bev decides after listening to AJ's motion, that it wasn't necessary.
" This is how we do things in MA, Mr Jackson ". KR( smiles or chuckles?) at her decision. Judge Bev says, " Excuse me Ms Read? Do you find that funny?"

Court adjourned.

Pure nonsense

Initially I too believed she accidentally hit him, didn't remember, didn't intend to and was overcharged. I think she believed she had hit him because she couldn't remember and initially the facts seemed to point in that direction. So yes, her attorney would also believe that... UNTIL the evidence started coming in. There were so many great witnesses that I believe proved she did not hit him. There were no witnesses that proved to me that she did hit him. I can't say what really did happen, and sadly we will probably never know because there was such shoddy and I believe crooked police work. I feel badly for JO family that there will likely never be justice for JO.

I really can't wait to see what the FBI investigation uncovers
KAREN READ: "So I pull at the foot of the driveway. It's snowing. John has no coat on. It's windy. So I drop him off. He goes up the driveway and approaches the side door, and as I see him approach the door, I look down at my phone."

Truth or outright lie? It can only be one or the other.

And then in her own words... before calling anyone... she went for a drive "looking for him." This isn't shown on the mysteriously missing ring cam footage.

She then says she woke up before 5 a.m. He still wasn't home. She then started canvassing the neighborhood.

KAREN READ: "I'm going to drive around in the two square miles that we spent the preceding night."

After 20 minutes of unsuccessful searching, she called John's friends, Kerry Roberts and Jennifer McCabe, Brian Albert's sister-in-law, who was also at his house the night before. The three women together now headed to Albert's home.

Last edited:

View attachment 513343

View attachment 513344

View attachment 513345

“I don’t really care how it always is in Massachusetts. I care if it’s appropriate. Let me make my argument while it’s not appropriate.” Alan Jackson says. “I’d like an answer from the court, how do they decide she’s not guilty?” (2/4)

“They don’t check the box that says, ‘guilty,’” Judge Cannone says.“That’s not how it should be and it’s over our strong objection,” Jackson says.“It’s immediately appealable…it’s almost like the court is directing” a guilty verdict, Jackson says. (3/4)

“Excuse me, is this funny, Ms. Read?” Judge Cannone says in response to Karen Read's facial reaction.‘We’re done,” Judge says. (4/4)
What? Reads like Hostility and dismissiveness.

@TedDanielnews

Court resumed briefly and it got testy.AJ tells Judge the verdict slip is incorrect. He says there is no "not guilty" box to check on the lesser included charges of involuntarily manslaughter and motor vehicle homicide . He tells Judge, "They need to see there is not a guilty option" and "I don't care how they do it in Massachusetts"Judge says no.

One possible scenario is they were fighting on the way over, both nearly blacked out drunk. She scratched him leaving marks on his arm through his thin sweatshirt. Growing up with 3 sisters I can personally attest this is possible.
I grew up with a mean older sister, certainly she scratched me, but not like that!
Human nails are simply not strong enough and not the right shape to make the same kind of marks as claws do. As for the bite marks on his elbow... are you saying KR bit him as well? The puncture wounds went through his clothing for petes sake!
The marks on JOK's arm look to me like they are courtesy of a large carnivore.

He gets out of the car, and does something to set her off, like kicking the back of the car, breaking the tail light, and loosing his shoe. She starts to drive off but the rage kicks in and she does the backup at 24mph.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I thought Alan Jackson went through each keystroke with trooper Paul on cross examination and came to the conclusion that it was in fact Proctor who was driving the vehicle during keystroke 1162. Procter reversed at 75% throttle reaching 24MPH, not KR.

an alternate and at this point she should not be aware at all how it is going in the deliberation room. It is an odd observation unless she has allergies and reported as crying?
yeah who knows maybe. Alternates wait in seperate room unless this is another thing MA does 'differently'?:eek: Could be reporter perception and reporter may have misread her. idk

Regarding the verdict slip and AJj's concerns. Boy did Bev show her true bias and almost hatred for AJ today...and calling out KR for her reaction again tells me she has been waiting to do that but could not due to jurors. AJ's argument was good and when Bev looked to Yanetti for support...SHE GOT NONE. He has not seen this and is no stranger to lesser included. AJ made the point it is INVITING them to find her guilty of lesser. This trial has been so infuriating and I hope the jury just finds their way to filling it out the way they intend.

I get your point but might be other facroes play a role too? Really it just takes an average or normal level of intelligence to understand the experts from Arca and the dog bite experts imo. It was clear and unequivocal. I don't think intelligence is a key factor jmo, more like obtuseness, anxiousness, possibly some fear of consequences, umovable conviction in spite of evidence, dislike of basic science and things like that. just speculation on my part moo
RBBM

grounds for being called a moron right there IMO

but i agree with much of what you say

Regarding the verdict slip and AJj's concerns. Boy did Bev show her true bias and almost hatred for AJ today...and calling out KR for her reaction again tells me she has been waiting to do that but could not due to jurors. AJ's argument was good and when Bev looked to Yanetti for support...SHE GOT NONE. He has not seen this and is no stranger to lesser included. AJ made the point it is INVITING them to find her guilty of lesser. This trial has been so infuriating and I hope the jury just finds their way to filling it out the way they intend.
Seriously, what is compelling Bev's behavior.

Truly shameless.

A broken, ugly system.

I grew up with a mean older sister, certainly she scratched me, but not like that!
Human nails are simply not strong enough and not the right shape to make the same kind of marks as claws do. As for the bite marks on his elbow... are you saying KR bit him as well? The puncture wounds went through his clothing for petes sake!
The marks on JOK's arm look to me like they are courtesy of a large carnivore.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I thought Alan Jackson went through each keystroke with trooper Paul on cross examination and came to the conclusion that it was in fact Proctor who was driving the vehicle during keystroke 1162. Procter reversed at 75% throttle reaching 24MPH, not KR.
Um... no and no

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member