VERDICT WATCH MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think she was laughing at the "That's how we do things MA, Mr. Jackson!" Thinking...yes, that's how you try to railroad innocent people here and are mad you are being confronted about it on national TV. Bev was obviously angry and lashing out this morning. Praying the jury will not be confused by this form and we get a NG today!
Me too, but you know it is so so easy to "look the other way" isn't it? The defense should not have to pray that a juror not be confused by a verdict form. The verdict form should be clear, fair and impartial. The judge is creating impartiality and that is NOT OK. jmo

She even said that she told him his request sounded reasonable?! To me she sounded a bit flustered when she was defending the verdict slip.
"flustered" and visibly irritated that AJ had the audacity to get her back in on the record. Lots of things in this trial done "off the camera" including the statement and question of KR about testifying. <modsnip - off topic>

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow glad I just saw the video from Twitter post above. That was an awful interaction. Judge is over this but misdirecting her frustrations. The simplest thing to do would be to amend the form. Especially when she’s told it can cause an appeal. I think the pressure is on her in this trial but to be so blatantly vicious towards the defense is insane. Calling out KR, okay, though not exactly professional imo, like at all, but to just decide well we’re done here after that was very telling. I have to wonder if any colleagues will discuss with her — surely someone else will agree that the form should’ve been amended. Wow.

I think we all know what Bev hopes the verdict will be. I once heard of a case where the judge rejected the jury’s verdict and while I can’t remember the details, I honestly wouldn’t be super surprised if this judge did so. Or tried to. I know in some cases it’s possible, but this isn’t one of them imo.

This entire thing is ridiculous.

Yes she went over it with him. I assume this style is not what he is accustomed to. But what I’m wondering is how can he only be looking at it now?

I think he wanted to put it on record that this is an item he would use for an appeal if she is found guilty.

<modsnip - name variations are not allowed> sure did show her true feelings AGAIN today. I think it was obvious before when they asked her to recuse herself because of her ties to the McCabe family.

I would love a Massachusetts attorney to tell us honestly if this is standard in their court system. It feels wrong and I definitely see AJ's objection to it. It feels like it is directing the jury.

I am nervous today, I can't imagine how the people there feel!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I think she accidently hit him while drunk and very angry. I think she had no idea until she saw him lying there in the snow, then she realized what probably happened.

One possible scenario is they were fighting on the way over, both nearly blacked out drunk. She scratched him leaving marks on his arm through his thin sweatshirt. Growing up with 3 sisters I can personally attest this is possible. He gets out of the car, and does something to set her off, like kicking the back of the car, breaking the tail light, and loosing his shoe. She starts to drive off but the rage kicks in and she does the backup at 24mph. He dives out of the way, or is glanced by the car, transferring pieces of the cracked tail light onto him while he falls backward and hits head on the curb. The end. And you can imagine multiple other reasonable scenarios, none of which the mythbusters that testified this week tested.

How did she scratch his right arm? While sitting in the car that arm would be farthest from her. She'd have to reach all the way around his body. And I agree with the other poster who said those are not human-made scratches, nor would human nails cause the holes in John's hoodie. They would have to be sharpened to a point.

But the biggest problem with this theory is that he didn't fall in the roadway, but on the lawn some 30' away. How did his body get there? All three doctors who testified about the head wounds agree: the blunt force trauma to his brain was incapacitating. He couldn't walk or crawl afterwards. (Are the MDs 'mythbusters' as well?) Plus his phone and drinking glass were also found on the lawn. How did they get there?

I disagree that there are multiple reasonable scenarios. For two years, people have been putting forth theories as to how KR could have hit John, breaking her taillight and having his body end up where it did. I've even posted a couple myself. However, with the scientific testimony we heard over the last week or so, none of these theories line up with the actual evidence.

Last edited:
Wow glad I just saw the video from Twitter post above. That was an awful interaction. Judge is over this but misdirecting her frustrations. The simplest thing to do would be to amend the form. Especially when she’s told it can cause an appeal. I think the pressure is on her in this trial but to be so blatantly vicious towards the defense is insane. Calling out KR, okay, though not exactly professional imo, like at all, but to just decide well we’re done here after that was very telling. I have to wonder if any colleagues will discuss with her — surely someone else will agree that the form should’ve been amended. Wow.

I think we all know what Bev hopes the verdict will be. I once heard of a case where the judge rejected the jury’s verdict and while I can’t remember the details, I honestly wouldn’t be super surprised if this judge did so. Or tried to. I know in some cases it’s possible, but this isn’t one of them imo.

This entire thing is ridiculous.
Based on her reply I think she ran it by her superiors and got support for leaving it that way. At this point to change it would be perhaps construed as a signal. Now defense just has to hope they understand it. After watching this and the Select local meeting I am beginning to think Ma. system is just full of corruption and lots of people "on the take".

can I ask where people watch the trial here...I had Law and Crime open but they did not cover them coming back in (at least that I heard) and to me that was an important interaction in the courtroom. Where are you planning on watching the verdict in real time? Thanks.
That’s where I watched it, maybe a commercial on your end? Weird.

How did she scratch his right arm? While sitting in the car that arm would be farthest from her. She'd have to reach all the way around his body. And I agree with the other poster who said those are not human-made scratches.

But the biggest problem with this theory is that he didn't fall in the roadway, but on the lawn some 30' away. How did his body get there? All three doctors who testified about the head wounds agree: the blunt force trauma to his brain was incapacitating. He couldn't walk or crawl afterwards. (Are the MDs 'mythbusters' as well?) Plus his phone and drinking glass were also found on the lawn. How did they get there?

I disagree that there are multiple reasonable scenarios. For two years, people have been putting forth theories as to how KR could have hit John, breaking her taillight and having his body end up where it did. I've even posted a couple myself. However, with the scientific testimony we heard over the last week or so, none of these theories line up with the actual evidence.
Truth.
She would have needed fangs for the puncture wounds.
There is no evidence she has fangs.
Chloe, on the other hand..

snipped

I would love a Massachusetts attorney to tell us honestly if this is standard in their court system. It feels wrong and I definitely see AJ's objection to it. It feels like it is directing the jury.
RBBM Yanetti said he hadn't seem a verdict form like that before IIRC. Doesn't he normally practice in MA?

Really shocking. She showed her true feelings for KR.

I wasn't sure before, now I am.
Reed started laughing when Judge said 'it's always done this way in MA and when Yan said he had not seen verdict forms presented in this fashion she declared she disagreed .. with what Yan saw..

She's in really bad humor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member