VERDICT WATCH MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen no credible evidence presented to find her guilty. Just the opposite. JMOO
Im thinking that maybe I am guilty of pretty shaming this women. She just seemed kind of different yesterday with her behavior. It could be that she thinks she's going to win and she feels exuberant. Is there some difference between drunk and guilty in this case? while it's not illegal to be drunk, everyone in the story is drunk and people are out driving around...the same people who would happily charge you with DUI. so ..somewhere in this story I think there could be negligent homicide...but by whose hand? we don't know. they should have waited to charge this case if at all.

I think the "planted evidence" dictated that there must be a charge, and yet they couldn't but this evidence together.

probably have to throw the case out. I don't think they would re-try it but I bet they are hung. mOO

Purely speculative post incoming:
For my medically inclined sluthers, MD/RN/PA/DO/NP/
etc sluthies if you will. I’m struggling a bit with JOk’s autopsy and injuries.

Hypothetically, would someone with those injuries to his head be able to survive with swift medical intervention? Is it possible to get treatment for such head injuries? Could you prevent the brain stem herniation? What type of treatment exists for these blows to the head, if any?
I find medical evidence so fascinating but alas I work in tech and google only helps so much, lol.
*purely speculative and hypothetical

There are many things about this case that are just wild to me. But the wildest has to be that the defense appear to have actively made more of an effort to investigate the circumstances surrounding John O'Keefe's death than the CW has.

And the defense has done such a good job that it's the CW having to make up crazy excuses for the evidence not fitting their case.

jmo

I honestly believe that they were fighting on the drive over there and she was pissed he was insistent on going to the party and she didn't want to and/or was mad because she wasn't "invited." I think when he got out of the vehicle and got just past the vehicle, he slipped or fell due to either weather or just being drunk and he was down on his knees or crouched or what have you and she was so drunk and so pissed that she either already had her vehicle in reverse from her attempts to park or she thought she had it in drive, but had it in reverse by error because of drunkenness and after she finished looking at her phone, gunned the car to leave, but it went backward and hit him while he was already somewhat down and trying to get up. My dad hit the gas on his vehicle in reverse by mistake and you would not believe the damage that he did in a short space and span (luckily no people were involved). I don't think she intentionally hit him or killed him. But even in accidents a person who is culpable has some measure of punishment.
I don't believe the conspiracy cover-up theory.
Who knows what kind of animal attacked his arm while he lay dying. I think it was an animal that did the damage to his arm and that was not caused by the vehicle. As for the defensive wound to the front of his hand... He was drunk - he could have hit his hand on anything that night. I've hit my arm on doorknobs as I'm walking or hit the back of my hand on a corner of a table, etc. that left a bruise - and not because I've been drinking, but it can happen.
I believe it will be a hung jury.
I agree with all you said, very well stated. I just have one comment. Bruses take time to appear he died or was very close to death within a few hours of injury from her car. All of his body functions were shutting down. Just My Opinion

There are many things about this case that are just wild to me. But the wildest has to be that the defense appear to have actively made more of an effort to investigate the circumstances surrounding John O'Keefe's death than the CW has.

And the defense has done such a good job that it's the CW having to make up crazy excuses for the evidence not fitting their case.

jmo
The CW absolutely does not care if they 'got the right guy'

That is not how these things work

Hypothetically, would someone with those injuries to his head be able to survive with swift medical intervention? Is it possible to get treatment for such head injuries? Could you prevent the brain stem herniation? What type of treatment exists for these blows to the head, if any?
I find medical evidence so fascinating but alas I work in tech and google only helps so much, lol.

The ME did testify I believe that if he had been rendered medical attention/taken (unconscious) to a hospital at some point shortly after receiving the head injury he could have survived. That is my memory of her testimony

ETa I don't recall Dr Sheridan being asked that question by defense or pros ICBW but do recall it being elicited by pros from the ME

I agree with all you said, very well stated. I just have one comment. Bruses take time to appear he died or was very close to death within a few hours of injury from her car. All of his body functions were shutting down. Just My Opinion
Bruises can appear immediately if the injury is significant enough to cause bleeding under the skin...jmo.

I was unable to listen to every moment of testimony on this one...

Question please.
Was it shown that JO climbed stairs according to Apple watch data? How many steps? At the exact time he would have been at the house?

If the answers are yes to 2 of these 3 questions, I cannot understand how KR is guilty.

All you have to do is look at the blood that went down his shirt(s) to know he was not dead on the lawn in a prone position for all that time. He was obviously propped up in a sitting position for awhile otherwise blood would not have dripped down his shirt, it would have gone straight to the ground.
Poured down, front and back on the shirt we saw and looks like top of his jeans on one leg. He was propped up for sure.

Question please.
Was it shown that JO climbed stairs according to Apple watch data? How many steps? At the exact time he would have been at the house?

If the answers are yes to 2 of these 3 questions, I cannot understand how KR is guilty.
someone will more detailed info will respond but yes defense showed that many steps impossible without a trip down stairs at home.

He may have survived initially, but many times there is ongoing bleeding swelling etc.

Traumatic SAH

Traumatic SAH commonly occurs near the site of a skull fracture and intracerebral contusion. Radiologic clues of a traumatic origin include localized bleeding in a superficial sulcus, an adjacent skull fracture, and a cerebral contusion with external evidence of traumatic injury.[13]

Once the diagnosis of an SAH is made, most patients are admitted to a neurosurgical intensive care unit, as up to 15% of these patients may have worsening bleeding during admission.[21][22] An external ventricular drain may be indicated if the patient has a poor clinical grade on admission, acute neurological deterioration, or progressive ventricular enlargement on CT.[21]This external ventricular drain may remove CSF or blood, which can cause increased intracranial pressure.[21]

I no longer have any idea what the verdict is going to be. I felt confident that if the jury came back quickly, then that would mean we're getting a full acquittal, but that's off the table now.

I just really hope that the jury has understood and properly accounted for the medical testimony and engineering testimony. I found those biomedical engineers to be the most credible and persuasive witnesses of the whole trial.

Question please.

He didn't have a watch. His Apple Fitness app showed him walking up 3 (I believe) flights of stairs. The CW used their usual argument of "the technology is wrong"

I no longer have any idea what the verdict is going to be. I felt confident that if the jury came back quickly, then that would mean we're getting a full acquittal, but that's off the table now.

I just really hope that the jury has understood and properly accounted for the medical testimony and engineering testimony. I found those biomedical engineers to be the most credible and persuasive witnesses of the whole trial.

They are probably hung up on the lesser charges, wondering if can they convict her on those charges for being drunk and driving.

IMO

Last edited:
The ME did testify I believe that if he had been rendered medical attention/taken (unconscious) to a hospital at some point shortly after receiving the head injury he could have survived. That is my memory of her testimony

ETa I don't recall Dr Sheridan being asked that question by defense or pros ICBW but do recall it being elicited by pros from the ME
Ahh I see. I did listen to all the physician testimony, but I can’t remember half of what’s been testified to in this trial, lol. Info overload!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member