VERDICT WATCH MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any device that counts steps that is wearable is always more reliable compared to a phone in a pocket, even if you kept the phone in your hand the entire time.

Yep, though my phone is always in my hand and never in my pockets (why are women’s pockets so small???)

I did put the disclaimer that the information meant absolutely nothing, so..

It's difficult when you look at the actions of people on their worst day, especially if you were drunk, I know I've had moments in my life where if everyone got to hear and or see what I did I would be looked at in a negative light. Doesn't excuse her drunk driving I'm just pointing out a snapshot or even a couple snapshots into the personal life of someone could be completely opposite, probably most moments of her relationship with JoK were the complete opposite

It's difficult when you look at the actions of people on their worst day, especially if you were drunk, I know I've had moments in my life where if everyone got to hear and or see what I did I would be looked at in a negative light. Doesn't excuse her drunk driving I'm just pointing out a snapshot or even a couple snapshots into the personal life of someone could be completely opposite, probably most moments of her relationship with JoK were the complete opposite
And this is especially evident in how they interacted at the bar earlier that night. Perfectly fine. Then, dramatic voicemails later. It happens. I think it’s natural for us to focus on the negative for some reason. But that’s just imo

As far as the "babysitter with benefits" thing. I don't think that was indicative of how she felt about the kids so much as how she felt about the relationship. I would imagine he may have made it clear those were HIS kids and HE decided their discipline and care and she had no say other than to watch over them with no pay. Maybe she would have liked to have been considered more of a step-mom or even a true mother to them at some point, but the relationship wasn't going anywhere. Sounds like JOK was a confirmed bachelor when he decided to take the kids and that may have never changed. JMO

I felt like “babysitter with benefits” was a term used by Kerry, the McCabes, and JOK’s friends that weren’t friends with KR to describe her. I got the feeling that Karen cared for the children and that it played a big role in her continuing to pursue and try to work through the relationship with him. JMO

However much snow was on the ground surely the cops would have been able to spot MASSIVE red taillight pieces scattered around John’s body in the fresh white snow at 6am?
Police usually carry these things called ‘torches’[*] and they’re very useful for seeing things in the dark.

JMO

[*]eta: or “flashlight” if you prefer

Is there a reason it’s like that?
From what I've read...
- Wearable Step trackers ensure consistency with the placement of the tracker close to the body's center of motion
- Some wearable devices have sensors which help detect and differentiate between various types of movement

But that ofcourse doesn't mean to say it's always accurate, it just seems to be slightly more reliable than a phone device. jmo.

However much snow was on the ground surely the cops would have been able to spot MASSIVE red taillight pieces scattered around John’s body in the fresh white snow at 6am?
Police usually carry these things called ‘torches’[*] and they’re very useful for seeing things in the dark.

JMO

Don’t come into this conversation being reasonable!

They’d probably just borrow a matchbook from the cop across the street and use that, with the way they handled that entire morning

JMO

Plus they were out there with freaking snowblowers. Shouldn’t have been hard to see at all but somehow pieces just kept showing up for weeks.

JO had an iPhone if I remember correctly? If you look online just from random posters querying their step counts using iPhone there seems to be a consensus of it not recording steps with some huge disparities. Even some mentioning that when they carry their phone in a bag, it fails to record any activity. Just thought that was interesting, jmo.

I find their leaving early today to be a signal that it is tough in that room and they are not close to a verdict. Most people if close would want to stay and try to finish this up today. I find this concerning and from the look on AJ's face so does he. His demeanor has really changed. Clearly there is disagreement amongst the jurors. I can't believe we start this again tomorrow. At this point I am expecting a note from the jurors.
I’m laughing at the last 2nd to last line, thinking OMG this is what my life has become. I can’t wait till it’s over so I can find something else to do. That fan is my new screen saver!

Thank you for the link. I watched the first part and only saw KR's Lexus at JO's house, not at the sallyport. Lally mumbles so much I had a hard time hearing his questions but I never heard him say anything about how the taillight looked at the sallyport. Was it later on in the link, and do you know approximately where?
Yes I got that wrong very sorry, just remembered Kerry confirmed that’s how she saw the car that morning. Thought it was the Sally Port photo, but it wasn’t.

I don't know what to think. I consider the medical testimony and the engineering testimony to be so overwhelmingly exculpatory that I can't imagine how any jury could find her guilty of anything. But for deliberations to continue this long, there must be individuals on the jury who are pushing for a guilty verdict. It's certainly disconcerting.

There is still hope; it's not over until a verdict is actually delivered, but I'm definitely not so confident anymore.

The talking heads on CourtTV and one reporter that has been in the courtroom the whole time were talking about the impact of hearing from John's niece and nephew testify and that it was extremely moving, as well as having his family in the courtroom. He said add that to the emotional impact of Lally saying over and over "I hit him, I hit him, I hit him, I hit him" and, he believes that can put tremendous pressure on jurors to feel that they "owe" his family a guilty verdict.

The other thing someone (not sure who) brought up was Kerry Roberts' testimony that Karen Read called her at 5am saying "John's dead!" and that that was before they went over to 34 Fairview? Is that correct? If so, that is pretty damning - they said that could be a nail in the coffin. Is that what was presented? I was not able to watch all of the prosecution's case.

Regardless, the CW did have many things that a juror might need to be able to rationalize if voting 'not guilty' while discussing with jurors who are in the guilty camp. For example - shoe at the curb - yes, pretty common for a shoe or two to come off during a pedestrian hit. Can they reconcile that with the experts testimony that it was not a hit? Seems like a no brainer to me - it's kind of irrelevant how it got there but maybe it isn't to them. Do they feel that they have to come up with an explanation of how that shoe got there? Did someone in the house throw it there? Did it fall off right when he got out of the car and it has nothing to do ultimately with what happened? That in of itself is just one piece of evidence like that, that is ambiguous. Everyone on the jury probably needs to be satisfied that their point of view is heard and how each piece of evidence should be weighed. There's at least 47 of them...x10.

It seems SO obvious to me that there is a TON of reasonable doubt but that's obviously not the universal sentiment, evidenced by the posters here (who are brave enough to be in the minority, and there may be many more who feel similarly but aren't up for posting). SO...I still don't know which way this is going to go.

I’m laughing at the last 2nd to last line, thinking OMG this is what my life has become. I can’t wait till it’s over so I can find something else to do. That fan is my new screen saver!
When they asked to go home today, I realized that I'm exhausted from following this trial. I can't imagine how those involved feel.

Well, don't delve in Delphi....you'll never get out. Sometimes I really wish I never knew about that case!

IMO MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members