VERDICT WATCH MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a person who leans more towards the idea that she is not guilty, I still go back and forth. I think your post is the most well laid out post from the “likely guilty” camp that I’ve seen. I like your opposing view and think you’ve laid out a very good argument that makes a lot of sense to me.

I agree that her demeanor at times seems like someone who has constant “dupers delight”. I think it could also be argued, though, that if she is not guilty her demeanor is based on being angry and incredulous of these people to the point of contempt. I think contempt and dupers delight look similar.

In regards to her initially saying it was an accident when they told her they had footage, I also hesitate at this one. I think I’d keep my mouth shut on saying I was guilty until I saw it. And, if I believe that Karen is an extremely anxious person I could also see her freaking out and saying she is willing to take the punishment for something even if she doesn’t remember doing it.

I struggle with her mentioning she hit something before finding him. I can’t do much with this other than excuse it as something bizarre and, if she’s not guilty, saying it fell into the laps of the others. I do think her exclamations of “I hit him!” are being exaggerated years later. I don’t think it’s odd to find the person you love near where you left them and to start to scream all sorts of things … maybe even “omg !! Is it possible I hit him” especially if you’re still what I would assume is very drunk.

Re: the unlikelihood of a massive conspiracy, I think the defense did itself a disservice focusing on it being so complex. I don’t believe it was a “set up”. I do think it’s possible that something happened that was not planned (he fell and hit his head, people got angry and he got beat up, the dog did something and they worried about a lawsuit due to past poor behavior from dog). Like you, I can’t get past why they would throw him on the lawn UNLESS they actually didn’t think he would die and initially it was a “get the “eff” out” kind of toss by really drunk men. This argument doesn’t fully make sense either. I do think that this mess is a result of a lot of people protecting themselves for varying reasons.

My other thought is that these cops are hiding a lot (not related to John) and they needed to distance themselves from whatever accident/ fight killed him because they couldn’t risk anyone knowing they were dealing drugs (letting underaged people drink) or something else that night. I think they’re smart enough to know that throwing him in the woods looks like murder, but if they throw him in the lawn it either looks like drunk guy passed out, fell and died OR if it did come back to them they’d say “oh my god! We got in a fight but we didn’t realize he died! He must have walked outside and passed out”. This would have a better outcome than finding someone “buried” in the woods.

I can’t get past Jen’s incessant calls - I do understand why Karen would be freaking out that John wasn’t home but I don’t get why Jen would care so much about him coming inside. I think the theory she was looking for his phone makes sense to me.

I can’t get over the flurry of action around 2:30 - phone calls, Google searches, moved cars. And I can’t get past no one seeing a body in the yard. Many people came and went, snowplow driver went by, and I’m sure other random drivers and yet no body was seen. I live on a similar road with very similar lighting and yards and every night when I drive , I become more and more doubtful his body was out in that spot all night. I can see my neighbors yards clearly (even in bad weather).

Lastly, I can’t get past the lack of bruising, lack of blood, and injuries that don’t look like a vehicle hit him. I also think so much evidence about her car was misleading (the key turns don’t line up with when she’d be reversing, the multiplying tail light pieces, reversed video).

At the end of the day we may never know because a group of adults (including Karen) were incredibly negligent, immature, selfish drunks with no regard to human life - every single person in that home and Karen thought it was ok, during inclement weather, to get wasted like they were in college and drive around town. The people in the home even included their children. The owners of the home KEPT a vicious dog that had harmed their OWN neighbors twice. The family of the owners killed someone in a hit and run. The brother of the deceased drunk drove and hurt someone. The lead investigator is a disgusting misogynistic police officer and liar and I shudder to think how he treats people that have even less recourse than Karen. These aren’t pillars of any community, regardless of their career path.

This is a group of people that cares very little about the safety of others - including their loved ones. They are all unlikable, in moo, which is why people dislike Karen but also why people dislike Proctor, Higgins, the McCabes, Alberts and even sadly the O’Keefe family - at the end of the day most recognize any of these people would be willing to harm them and try to get away with it. Maybe that’s why the jury is having trouble - everyone seems guilty of something in some way. It gets confusing.

Edited to fix typos and make some points more clear.
Amazing insights here. Thank you.
For me it's simply the same as charging somebody for a shooting but the dead person did not die of gunshot wounds.

The entire process has been awol.
I can't believe what I have seen.

It really needs to be reinvestigated but will they?
Or will they decide to let sleeping dogs lie forever?

Defense witnesses being eminently qualified disallowed from declaring their conclusions is bizarre...

Anybody got the strength to go through Lally's closing for a list of anomalies?

I want to see whether he is guilty of prosecutorial misconduct..
Just reading this recent case

Sheridan testified that the head wound would have rendered JO immediately unconscious. Prior to his testimony I also considered the possibility of badly injured JO wandering from back yard or side door out into the yard and falling where he was found. Had to abandon that one.moo

I suppose the moving the body scenario could make sense if for instance BH and BA were out back and in process of carrying JO through side gate (BH's govt ford edge parked near flag pole for that purpose as speculated) when the approach of snow plow makes them reconsider. They wait for Lucky to pass by again on way back towards cedar crest then abandon plan leaving JO where he would be found. BH gets back into his car and drives away. It would be about 3.45 am by this time. All pure speculation!
Lucky did testify that it was not BH's vehicle though, he knows that one.
Who owned it?

Who owned it?
BA testified he had a Ford Edge and he also said on cross he didn't move it that night although it was hard to believe anything out of his lying, twitching lips.
BH testified he went back to the police station that night "to move vehicles around".
Were the Ford Edges police issued? Why the urgency to go back to the police station in the middle of the night after a long day of travel and a night of drinking, to move vehicles around?
Wondering if anyone checked to see if BH "borrowed" a different Ford Edge and returned to the Alberts after he and BA butt-dialed each other.
Lucky witnessed the Ford Edge around 03:30 on his second loop, parked exactly in front of the flagpole area.
Whoever parked it there at that time must have either seen JOKs body lying right there beside the truck, (if it was there) or put the body there imo.
And conveniently, both BH and BA got rid of their phones before LE could investigate them.
MOO.

Last edited:
Amazing insights here. Thank you.
For me it's simply the same as charging somebody for a shooting but the dead person did not die of gunshot wounds.

The entire process has been awol.
I can't believe what I have seen.

It really needs to be reinvestigated but will they?
Or will they decide to let sleeping dogs lie forever?

Defense witnesses being eminently qualified disallowed from declaring their conclusions is bizarre...
I agree! It’s all been so bizarre ‍

Thanks but it doesn't give a time when BH texted JOK, just 'that night' and that BH said he left the Albert's between 12:30 - 1:00. I really don't want to have to go through the testimony and see if I can spot the text time, mostly was just curious when he actually texted JOK. Appreciate the link and refresher on his testimony. :)
I can’t find the article with the timeline just now, but it was at 12:20am that BH texted OJO.

ETA: Found the article.

What happened in the Karen Read case? A timeline of events

Last edited:
I am not sure if I am really from the group you want to hear from because while I think she more than likely is responsible for John O'Keefe's death, I also feel like the CW did not earn a conviction. Much of why I feel this way is because of things that the jury didn't get to see/hear. So, if I was on the jury, I would vote NG because I would have even more lingering doubt without that added information.

I do not believe the conspiracy as told by the defense. I do not believe that a 30 year vet of the BPD, and an ATF agent, would look at John O'Keefe and say, "let's say a snowplow did this. Let's put him in my front yard." Not down the street, but in his yard. And let's do this while he is still breathing, and someone can see him and get him help before he dies. (There is no reason to search 'Hos Long' if he is already dead.)

This is not a plan two veteran law enforcement officials would come up with. "The snowplow did it" is a plan a panicking woman, who hasn't spent 30 years as a cop responding to accidents, would come up with, imo.

I didn't buy the text message "threat" of going out for drinks or your lawn will be destroyed as a credible threat, in that John was scared to say no. Or them taking a picture on John's lawn being part of a history of bullying him, versus the obvious inside joke that it is. He's the one who asked them to watch his house.

I don't buy that playfighting in the bar was "practicing" for what they were about to do to John. I don't buy that Jen McCabe's role was to separate Karen from John so that they can carry out their plans to jump him, along with Colin Albert, who was still mad at John for yelling at his little brother to get off the lawn. This is all very silly and undercuts the actual seriousness of their accusation that this is all a coverup.

The only person we know for a fact was enraged with John that night was Karen. The defense did a good job showcasing that these witnesses had bad memories. It didn't mean much to me that months after this happened, people couldn't remember the times they made calls or saw something. Especially when there were minutes off, not hours. Most of us wouldn't remember innocuous 3 and 9 second calls, now make us ish-faced drunk. We definitely won't remember. It is also not beyond the realm of possibility that cops would have things on their phone that they don't want in evidence. Brian Albert may well be a dirty cop, but it doesn't automatically means that what he is hiding is a coverup.

Trooper Proctor's texts, disgusting as they were, proves that he believed that Karen was guilty. We can call it tunnel vision, but not proof of a coverup.

I believe John's childhood friend's/Kerry Robert's testimony. Despite her damning testimony, the defense didn't try to poke holes in it. Which tells me that her account is likely the most trustworthy when it comes to determining Karen's behavior and mindset that morning.

How many people think their boyfriend is dead when you have not heard from him in 4 hours, especially after a fight? He wasn't left in the middle of the road. He was left at a house. Why are you so frantic and having a meltdown?

Why lie about where she last saw him? Why do you think a snowplow hit him? Why do you see a cracked taillight and conclude you could have hit him? Why are you so preoccupied with this taillight? Why are you telling your dad that you thought you hit something? You say you saw him walking into the house on 34 Fairview, you didn't feel a bump when you drove off. What is this giant leap in conclusion?

If you think he may have gotten in an accident, you would call hospitals. Why not consider he just slept on the Albert's couch? Karen didn't even search the house, which is why they went back there. She didn't search because she knew he wasn't there. The right answer would have been of course I searched the house.

Karen's behavior looks like someone setting up a defense and/or trying to find another person to blame - the snowplow or "could I have hit him? See, my taillight is cracked, I must have been blackout drunk, that's why I only remember being at the Waterfall. Also, maybe it was a snowplow..."

Yannetti's statements to the media and in court, early on, was never that Karen was innocent. It was that it was an innocent accident and about the charges being too steep. Story is that they told her it was caught on ring footage. Well, she has already laid the foundation for it being an accident. Next is to say... it was an innocent accident. She doesn't even ask to see the ring footage. She didn't ask her parents or attorney to watch and tell her what happened. She just acquiesced.

LE was proven incompetent by the defense. Part of this incompetence is going to naturally extend to them not reading the crime scene incorrectly. Trooper Paul is not knowledgeable enough to have done that. And the experts the FBI hired was simply asked to see if that car hit that body. (Karen's words.) This was very narrowly defined, which left open other possibilities for me.

I mean, is the belief that she didn't actually do what the car data states she did? The 3 point turn was right - Karen said she did a 3 point turn - but not the barreling backwards part? Then the question is are you going to just stand there or are you going to try to turn and run when you see it coming? We know what is typical in a pedestrian/MV accident. What happens if you are moving your body out of the way but your arm is lingering behind and his struck with a glancing blow? Will the rest of the body get struck?

John's phone stops moving and moments later Karen is leaving voicemails saying she hates him and calling him a pervert. I know people think that she could not have shaved 2 minutes off of her travel time, but it's not hard to imagine her driving like a bat out of hell given how enraged she was. And who knows if the data on the time his phone stopped moving is even exact. Technology can tell us a lot, but not everything.

The icing on the cake for me is Karen's demeanor. No one victimized by the system is going to court everyday with a huge smile on their face. And they are definitely not carefree, laughing and smirking, cutting their eyes here and there as the jury watches.

The first thing I thought when I saw Karen, after hearing details of this case, is that she looks like someone who thinks she already gotten away with it. What I read about this case and how she carries herself are contradictory. This leaves me to believe she is not worried because she knows this is not a frame job and, because they were able to poke so many holes into this shoddy investigation, there is no way she will be convicted.

I expect most people have already stopped reading. lol Too long and also because people don't really like hearing opposing thoughts and also I imagine quite a few people have called me an idiot to themselves. lol I know my opinion is in the extreme minority.

Despite all I have said, I still would find her not guilty because I have to account for the possibility that I am wrong, and that is law enforcement's fault for how they handled everything about this case. I hope they learn from this and do better in the future.
Great post!

I think it is now clear members of the jury do indeed see totality and the reality of life isn't perfect including investigations via small, underfinanced jurisdictions.
Is it an excuse for someone to get away with a blatant homicide?

Totality.
Means.
and yes...of course evidence. Plenty of it. IMO

Joining the dots.....
All roads lead to Karen Read.

I think a hung jury will be very bad for her.
The prosecution will clear up all the messes and go her again.
Will Jackson do her for free???
hmmm.
Probably.

MOO

Thanks but it doesn't give a time when BH texted JOK, just 'that night' and that BH said he left the Albert's between 12:30 - 1:00. I really don't want to have to go through the testimony and see if I can spot the text time, mostly was just curious when he actually texted JOK. Appreciate the link and refresher on his testimony. :)
It's curious that BH said he left the Alberts at 12:30-01:00. However, I recall BA said BH left around 1:30 during his testimony. If BH left at 12:30, that's just when JOK was hit/struck, according to the CW.
MOO.

Lucky witnessed the Ford Edge around 03:30 on his second loop, parked exactly in front of the flagpole area.
Whoever parked it there at that time must have either seen JOKs body lying right there beside the truck, (if it was there) or put the body there imo.
And conveniently, both BH and BA got rid of their phones before LE could investigate them.
That is a stellar point. That Ford Edge parked directly next to where JOK's body lay. The car appeared there after Lucky had done multiple passes and the driver surely couldn't have missed a 6ft 220 pound body lying right where they parked.

Lucky made a point of saying how unusual it was to see a car parked on the roadway outside that particular residence during a blizzard as the family were well versed on the rules about blocking plows. I think there's a very high likelihood that the owner of that vehicle placed it there to provide cover while the body was moved.
Why would anyone else park all the way down near the flagpole? (see picture)

It also would line up with the temperature of the body still being 80*f when it was found. There's no way his body spent 6 hours lying in the snow and wind and only dropped a few degrees.

I recall someone posted a hypothermia timeline graph in this thread at some point, anybody recall that?

Edited to add picture -
34 Fairview_jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, as Boston news is for all of Massachusetts and wherever anyone picks it up online news. It grabbed you as he was killed and made it seem in some stories, depending on the reporter or source, that she did it on purpose. I saw it made BBC news this a.m.
Despite having smaller local news channels, major news channels where I’m from in central Vermont are based out Boston.

Who owned it?
I was under the impression BH owned or had access to a ford edge maybe from his place of work..probably some mistaken info I read and took as accurate. Assuming you mean it wasn't BH cos wrong car. Idk whose vehicle it was. If we believe Lucky (which I tend towards. I believe he was honest and sincere for sure) then all that's known is he saw a dark coloured ford edge.. What are your thoughts on it? I assume BA?

Last edited:
THIS. If this is true, it would explain why he claimed to be driving his Jeep Wrangler with a PLOW attached, when NOT ONE witness recalls seeing it there all evening.
I don't know it to be true someone said it on here or whatever. It's certainly not verified afaik.

eta btw both MCCabes say they saw jeep and plow on road to left of drive but there's a reasonable chance that's incorrect cos contradicted by Ryan and Julie Nagle. OTOH I tend to believe he was in his jeep and plow when at 34 Fairview but parked in driveway or down the road. My idea was he returned to 34 at around 3 or something in a ford edge but that was based on unveriioed statement in some poss somewhere or other, But seriously anything is possible, maybe he was driving aford edge from the get go but no basis to really speculate that imo, All the detail re plowing drive etc would have to be deliberately manufactured and that's a step too far for me atm jmo

Last edited:
I don't know it to be true someone saud it on here or whatever. It's certainly not verified afaik.
I just realised that BH used his pass card to scan open a door at his work place at 1:30am. So it is more likely that the Ford Edge belonged to one of the Alberts. I read they had three Ford Edges in that family.

It still suspicious that no one noticed a Jeep with a giant plow attached to the front of it, parked right next to the mail box. Makes me think that he actually had a work car with him that night but didn't want to testify that he'd been drinking and driving in the work vehicle.

Last edited:
It's curious that BH said he left the Alberts at 12:30-01:00. However, I recall BA said BH left around 1:30 during his testimony. If BH left at 12:30, that's just when JOK was hit/struck, according to the CW.

Brian Higgins claimed that it took him an hour to make the journey to Canton PD due to blizzard conditions.
It's like 5 mins away and it was barely snowing at that time :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I just realised that BH used his pass card to scan open a door at his work place at 1:30am. So it is more likely that the Ford Edge belonged to one of the Alberts. I read they had three Ford Edges in that family.

It still suspicious that no one noticed a Jeep with a giant plow attached to the front of it, parked right next to the mail box. Makes me think that he actually had a work car with him that night but didn't want to testify that he'd been drinking and driving in the work vehicle.
Well only the mccabes saw it and they're likely lying if you believe the nagles as I said in my last post.

BA testified he had a Ford Edge and he also said on cross he didn't move it that night although it was hard to believe anything out of his lying, twitching lips.
BH testified he went back to the police station that night "to move vehicles around".
Were the Ford Edges police issued? Why the urgency to go back to the police station in the middle of the night after a long day of travel and a night of drinking, to move vehicles around?
Wondering if anyone checked to see if BH "borrowed" a different Ford Edge and returned to the Alberts after he and BA butt-dialed each other.
MOO.

This. All of this. If this doesn't speak to the guilt of the Alberts, McCabes, and the Canton PD, I don't know what does! I wish the jury had the benefit of going back to watch testimony over. Such a long trial with so many details....gotta wonder how much they retained.

MOO.
I believe there was testimony that he entered the Canton Police Office at 1:30 am - so if he left at 12:30 where did he go?
Oops - posted before I saw the previous ones about 1:30 arrival - waiting on my coffee to brew and trial coverage to begin.

Last edited:
I was under the impression BH owned or had access to a ford edge maybe from his place of work..probably some mistaken info I read and took as accurate. Assuming you mean it wasn't BH cos wrong car. Idk whose vehicle it was. If we believe Lucky (which I tend towards. I believe he was honest and sincere for sure) then all that's known is he saw a dark coloured ford edge.. What are your thoughts on it? I assume BA?
i can't remember.. i watched several testimonies more than once but I cannot remember, I know somebody else associated with the 'fam' owned one too but cannot recall.. jesus I sound like that godawful young fellow now..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1