VERDICT WATCH MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #15

I just realised that BH used his pass card to scan open a door at his work place at 1:30am. So it is more likely that the Ford Edge belonged to one of the Alberts. I read they had three Ford Edges in that family.

It still suspicious that no one noticed a Jeep with a giant plow attached to the front of it, parked right next to the mail box. Makes me think that he actually had a work car with him that night but didn't want to testify that he'd been drinking and driving in the work vehicle.

Brian Higgins used his work badge to scan into work sometime after 1:30am. He claimed that it took him an hour to make the journey to Canton PD due to blizzard conditions. It's like 5 mins away and it was barely snowing at that time :rolleyes:
'light dusting of snow'

I wonder whether he met JOK and where exactly?
Defense concentrated on his testimony quite heavily during their closing..

Surprised he didn't sit with the Omerta brigade too..

Huh? Are we talking 29 Jan? But where did tweeter Bienick get that from.? I swear the evidence and testimony was the call between Niece/KR and JMc was closer to 4.30/5am and it was affirmed with records IIRC. Definitely was not 3am unless we are talking about another call from Niece/KR to JMc which I don't recall there being ICBW. Or is this from Lally's closing which would then be another discrepancy between the evidence and closing argument. If that's the case, then even though we all know closings are not evidence it reflects poorly on the cw to have Lally apparently misrepresent what was in evidence in his closing. Some would call it lying, jmo

Please ignore if there was actually an earlier call made by niece to JMc at 3am. Or since been confirmed this is a typo in the tweet. I would really like to know for sure but have no time or incliniation to re-listen to JMc testimony or Lally's closing. Moo
Sorry for not clarifying. It's from ADA Lally's opening statement, April 29.

-- Several inconsistencies - One being, iirc, not one witness testified to there being six inches of snow on JOK's body.

-- Opening statements are not evidence. moo

Prosecutor Adam Lally walks up to the lectern facing the jury and begins his opening statement.

Lally says he intends to provide a road map of the case. He begins by talking about the life of victim John O'Keefe, including how he took custody of his young niece and nephew after their parents died.

Lally says O'Keefe got help raising kids from neighbors and from his co-workers at the Boston Police Dept. Niece was 14 and nephew was 11 when O'Keefe died.

Lally begins discussing Jan 28, 2022. He says the forecast called for a snowstorm and many activities in Canton were cancelled.

With his niece and nephew staying with friends, O'Keefe went out with friends to go drinking at a local bar. Karen Read joined them just before 9pm.

Lally says O'Keefe and Read had met in 2004, reconnected several years later and started dating. In the months leading up to his death, "the relationship suffered," Lally says.

At about 6am, Canton police received 911 call that a body had been found outside 34 Fairview Road in Canton.

The first officers arrive on scene and see three women standing near the left side of the front yard near a flagpole, fire hydrant and the body. Read is one of the three.

Lally says first responders heard Read repeatedly say, "I hit him. I hit him. I hit him.”

Lally says there were six inches of snow on O'Keefe's body and grass underneath him.

O'Keefe was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital but could not be saved. Read was also taken to the hospital. Witnesses say Read told them the last time she saw O'Keefe they had an argument.

Lally says police dash camera video shows damage to one of the taillights on Read's SUV.

Lally says a bartender and some customers at the Waterfall bar will testify about seeing Read climb into the driver's side of her SUV.

Christopher and Julie Albert were also present at the Waterfall with several family members.

Lally says it started to snow just after midnight. Brian Albert and Nicole Albert head to their home at 34 Fairview Rd and invite others to join them there, including John O’Keefe.

Couple witnesses arrive in pickup at the house at the same time as Read in her black Lexus SUV. Witnesses in pickup and in house say they saw Read's SUV move up along street and stop near fire hydrant.

Lally says no witnesses ever saw anybody get out of Read's SUV. None of them saw John O'Keefe go into the house.

Lally says Jennifer McCabe got a phone call from O'Keefe's niece at about 3am. Niece then passed phone to Read who tells McCabe that O'Keefe never came home.

Lally says Read drove around calling people asking where O'Keefe is. Read came to McCabe's home. Read shows damage to her right taillight. McCabe drives Read in Read's SUV to 34 Fairview Rd. "The defendant is the only one who sees Mr. O'Keefe", Lally says.

Lally says Read got out of SUV and "made a beeline" to where O'Keefe's body is.

Lally says a cell phone is used to search internet for how long it takes for a person to die in the cold. He says jurors will hear dispute about when that search was made.

Lally says hospital staff from Good Samaritan will testify.

Lally says jurors will hear about O'Keefe and Read's family trip to Aruba. A woman who knows O'Keefe says Read began yelling and swearing at her in the lobby. Lally says niece and nephew witnessed "20-minute screaming match" in hotel room.

Lally says Read sent "amorous" text messages to another man insisting O'Keefe was cheating on her.

Lally says phone records will show Read first started driving toward Fairview Road before going to McCabe's house.

Lally says investigators will testify that SUV's data will show it traveled in reverse at approximately 24.2 mph while in front of the house.

Lally says a sneaker and piece of taillight are discovered in part of the front yard. Says a cocktail glass was found on rear bumper of SUV, along with a human hair.

Lally says pieces of taillight were found on O'Keefe's body and O'Keefe's DNA was found on taillight.

Lally says the human hair found on the bumper belonged to O’Keefe.

Lally says workers from medical examiners will testify about an injury to the back of O'Keefe's head.

@BienickWCVB

I believe there was testimony that he entered the Canton Police Office at 1:30 am - so if he left at 12:30 where did he go?
Drove around drunk thinking what to do maybe if a situation had unfolded back at no 34. No one was gonna pull him over or book him for DUI. I mean who knows what was going on. He might have had a dog wounded JO with him (they were semi friends I believe) and started off as intending to get him treatment but argument breaks out and JO ends up unconscious in the vehicle with the head wound, And it went from there. That would account for a few things vis a vis re lack of blood where JO found and BH's heading into work at 13o to sort *advertiser censored* out But obviously this is wild speculation only and based on nothing concrete at all. I made it up

Sorry for not clarifying. It's from ADA Lally's opening statement, April 29.

-- Several inconsistencies - One being, iirc, not one witness testified to there being six inches of snow on JOK's body.

-- Opening statements are not evidence. moo

Prosecutor Adam Lally walks up to the lectern facing the jury and begins his opening statement.

Lally says he intends to provide a road map of the case. He begins by talking about the life of victim John O'Keefe, including how he took custody of his young niece and nephew after their parents died.

Lally says O'Keefe got help raising kids from neighbors and from his co-workers at the Boston Police Dept. Niece was 14 and nephew was 11 when O'Keefe died.

Lally begins discussing Jan 28, 2022. He says the forecast called for a snowstorm and many activities in Canton were cancelled.

With his niece and nephew staying with friends, O'Keefe went out with friends to go drinking at a local bar. Karen Read joined them just before 9pm.

Lally says O'Keefe and Read had met in 2004, reconnected several years later and started dating. In the months leading up to his death, "the relationship suffered," Lally says.

At about 6am, Canton police received 911 call that a body had been found outside 34 Fairview Road in Canton.

The first officers arrive on scene and see three women standing near the left side of the front yard near a flagpole, fire hydrant and the body. Read is one of the three.

Lally says first responders heard Read repeatedly say, "I hit him. I hit him. I hit him.”

Lally says there were six inches of snow on O'Keefe's body and grass underneath him.

O'Keefe was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital but could not be saved. Read was also taken to the hospital. Witnesses say Read told them the last time she saw O'Keefe they had an argument.

Lally says police dash camera video shows damage to one of the taillights on Read's SUV.

Lally says a bartender and some customers at the Waterfall bar will testify about seeing Read climb into the driver's side of her SUV.

Christopher and Julie Albert were also present at the Waterfall with several family members.

Lally says it started to snow just after midnight. Brian Albert and Nicole Albert head to their home at 34 Fairview Rd and invite others to join them there, including John O’Keefe.

Couple witnesses arrive in pickup at the house at the same time as Read in her black Lexus SUV. Witnesses in pickup and in house say they saw Read's SUV move up along street and stop near fire hydrant.

Lally says no witnesses ever saw anybody get out of Read's SUV. None of them saw John O'Keefe go into the house.

Lally says Jennifer McCabe got a phone call from O'Keefe's niece at about 3am. Niece then passed phone to Read who tells McCabe that O'Keefe never came home.

Lally says Read drove around calling people asking where O'Keefe is. Read came to McCabe's home. Read shows damage to her right taillight. McCabe drives Read in Read's SUV to 34 Fairview Rd. "The defendant is the only one who sees Mr. O'Keefe", Lally says.

Lally says Read got out of SUV and "made a beeline" to where O'Keefe's body is.

Lally says a cell phone is used to search internet for how long it takes for a person to die in the cold. He says jurors will hear dispute about when that search was made.

Lally says hospital staff from Good Samaritan will testify.

Lally says jurors will hear about O'Keefe and Read's family trip to Aruba. A woman who knows O'Keefe says Read began yelling and swearing at her in the lobby. Lally says niece and nephew witnessed "20-minute screaming match" in hotel room.

Lally says Read sent "amorous" text messages to another man insisting O'Keefe was cheating on her.

Lally says phone records will show Read first started driving toward Fairview Road before going to McCabe's house.

Lally says investigators will testify that SUV's data will show it traveled in reverse at approximately 24.2 mph while in front of the house.

Lally says a sneaker and piece of taillight are discovered in part of the front yard. Says a cocktail glass was found on rear bumper of SUV, along with a human hair.

Lally says pieces of taillight were found on O'Keefe's body and O'Keefe's DNA was found on taillight.

Lally says the human hair found on the bumper belonged to O’Keefe.

Lally says workers from medical examiners will testify about an injury to the back of O'Keefe's head.

@BienickWCVB
Thank you so much. So from his opening not closing. That clears it up.

Drove around drunk thinking what to do maybe if a situation had unfolded back at no 34. No one was gonna pull him over or book him for DUI. I mean who knows what was going on. He might have had a dog wounded JO with him (they were semi friends I believe) and started off as intending to get him treatment but argument breaks out and JO ends up unconscious in the vehicle with the head wound, And it went from there. That would account for a few things vis a vis re lack of blood where JO found and BH's heading into work at 13o to sort *advertiser censored* out But obviously this is wild speculation only and based on nothing concrete at all. I made it up
that fits.

It's curious that BH said he left the Alberts at 12:30-01:00. However, I recall BA said BH left around 1:30 during his testimony. If BH left at 12:30, that's just when JOK was hit/struck, according to the CW.
MOO.
It is curious, BH texts JOK at 12:20 asking where he was, then when the SUV arrives 12:21-12:23, BH decides to leave shortly after? And yet BA thinks he left much later...very curious. Was BA trying to line up when BH left due to his card swipe at CPD at 1:30? The things that make ya go Hmmmmm....

I'm wondering now, having had this discussion here, whether some jurors felt rushed to make a decision and whether that is why they held out..
We're not all geriatrics here and we're confused..

I am certain of this. We had the benefit of the collective power of hundreds of minds observing, discussing and re-checking any inconstancies. We're all still confused.

The jury had only twelve people. No googling permitted.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
afj9
Back