VERDICT WATCH MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #15

@BienickWCVB

#KarenRead Good morning. Day 5 of deliberations. On Friday, the jury said they were deadlocked but the judge ordered them to keep deliberating.

We've reassembled in the courtroom with the lawyers and families. Waiting on the jury and the judge.

The jury enters. The judge is on the bench.

The judge asks her standard questions and sends the jury back into deliberations.

For what it's worth, several jurors seem to be dressed in black and for the first time the foreman was wearing a tie.

The court officers wheel the evidence boxes and bags through the hall. We can't actually see the deliberations room door. It's in a part of the courthouse off limits to the public.

Reminder: The jury has no access to transcripts of witnesses' testimony. They must rely on their memories and personal notes. If jurors disagree about what a witness said, there's no way to check.
I think one way or another jurors are set for this to be their last day. Maybe even 1/2 day. Foreman planning on going to work after dismissal?

@BienickWCVB

#KarenRead Good morning. Day 5 of deliberations. On Friday, the jury said they were deadlocked but the judge ordered them to keep deliberating.

We've reassembled in the courtroom with the lawyers and families. Waiting on the jury and the judge.

The jury enters. The judge is on the bench.

The judge asks her standard questions and sends the jury back into deliberations.

For what it's worth, several jurors seem to be dressed in black and for the first time the foreman was wearing a tie.

The court officers wheel the evidence boxes and bags through the hall. We can't actually see the deliberations room door. It's in a part of the courthouse off limits to the public.

Reminder: The jury has no access to transcripts of witnesses' testimony. They must rely on their memories and personal notes. If jurors disagree about what a witness said, there's no way to check.
“Several jurors seem to be dressed in black” sounds so ominous MOO

Thanks for your well thought out post, @Curiousobserver. I appreciate your thoughts.
A lot of your decision is made around the broken taillight. There were other taillight pieces found at the scene that did not belong to KR’s SUV. Were the vehicles of the many drunk drivers who were at 34 Fairview Rd that night examined for any damage?
My main response to your conclusion is based on your statement: Charge #1 does not require that she hit him with her car, only that she took reckless actions with her car.
Under that theory, the CW would not have to prove she killed him?

JOK is dead.
KR drove recklessly.
Therefore KR killed JOK?

Thanks again for giving us your thought processes on this.
A good point- the link between her reckless driving and his death are the tail light pieces on his clothing. This links the driving, to the damage, to his injuries.

I totally agree with the criticism about the conduct of the investigation and I understand why people would see reasonable doubt in this case. Not properly documenting evidence, unprofessional conduct in communication, not disclosing relationships looks really bad. I still think the weight of the evidence shows that she is responsible for his death. My line of what is reasonable is just different on this. (I also have seen dozens of hours of external analysis including video enhancements of that ring cameras from her home which the jury has not seen, and of course influences my opinion)

Here is one of the most balanced articles I have read on this.

All I can say is her and her family have been harassed, even her children. I can understand why she was so angry and defensive on the stand. She also willingly handed her phone over. Like or dislike, I can understand where she was coming from.

Her family was harassed so it's acceptable for her to lie on the stand and it means we should all accept it?

The commonwealth rested its case after Dr. Irini Scordi-Bello, the medical examiner who performed an autopsy on O'Keefe, testified about the officer's injuries. She said they are consistent with a fall or a car crash but not a "major altercation.”

Karen Read murder trial: Deliberations expected to begin next week
On cross, Irini Scordi-Bello, the medical examiner, said John O'Keefe's injuries could have been the result of getting punched in the face. Or the result of an animal attack.

Another extremely solid CW witness.

This with Trooper Joseph Paul and what more does one need

A good point- the link between her reckless driving and his death are the tail light pieces on his clothing. This links the driving, to the damage, to his injuries.

I totally agree with the criticism about the conduct of the investigation and I understand why people would see reasonable doubt in this case. Not properly documenting evidence, unprofessional conduct in communication, not disclosing relationships looks really bad. I still think the weight of the evidence shows that she is responsible for his death. My line of what is reasonable is just different on this. (I also have seen dozens of hours of external analysis including video enhancements of that ring cameras from her home which the jury has not seen, and of course influences my opinion)

RBBM

Chain of custody issues render pretty much all of the shoddily collected evidence useless.

John's clothing drying for 6 days on some table? LOLOL

TB took weekend off and he is back today..Says foreman is very sharp looking and TB who is in court seems to think he is a solid NG. Not sure what that looks like but okay! One post was interesting..
"I think them staying an extra half an hour the other day was to basically tell the judge today see we tried to come to an agreement and we can't! I don't think the holdout's going to budge! I'm guessing hung Jury!"\

I think that thinking is correct. The judge made reference to the "short" days that no doubt did not feel short to the deliberating jurors. She sends the note about 330 and asks if they want to leave. Most days they took her up on that offer. But they asked for the extra few minutes I think to not be accused of "short" days. I have never heard of sending a note at 330 asking if jurors are ready to leave. Maybe this is all due to the buses they have for them and to make sure they are there etc.

TB notes one juror that everyday looks upset/stressed. Is that due to this taking so long for NG or is she a holdout? All guessing at this point.

Well considering the alternate juror’s dress was supposed to mean something on Friday, and I believe other jurors were more dressed up as well, their fashion means nothing. Here we are again.
I think the jurors expected for this to end on Friday....today they will be sure to get in a number of hours before sending any more notes. I got to thinking that in this case unlike many really no compromise verdict...if you firmly before that the murder count (main charge) is not guilty that means she did not hit him. So how can you come up with anything really other than DUI?

I'm not sure if any spinning was involved. If he was already trying to move out of the way or anything else, that could play a part in this. This is the problem. It's basically trying to guess what he must have done in reaction to a SUV coming at him. And then being asked "did this happen?" Obviously Trooper Paul was not up for this. He shouldn't be doing this work and Troopers shouldn't be getting doubled up as experts. Taking some classes is not enough, imo, but that's another subject altogether.
Thanks for your response, @CourtandSims4.

TB took weekend off and he is back today..Says foreman is very sharp looking and TB who is in court seems to think he is a solid NG. Not sure what that looks like but okay! One post was interesting..
"I think them staying an extra half an hour the other day was to basically tell the judge today see we tried to come to an agreement and we can't! I don't think the holdout's going to budge! I'm guessing hung Jury!"\

I think that thinking is correct. The judge made reference to the "short" days that no doubt did not feel short to the deliberating jurors. She sends the note about 330 and asks if they want to leave. Most days they took her up on that offer. But they asked for the extra few minutes I think to not be accused of "short" days. I have never heard of sending a note at 330 asking if jurors are ready to leave. Maybe this is all due to the buses they have for them and to make sure they are there etc.

TB notes one juror that everyday looks upset/stressed. Is that due to this taking so long for NG or is she a holdout? All guessing at this point.
I'm expecting hung.
And I'll boycott the TV interviews..
this was all horrible.

Random thought

Anyone want to explain away Ryan Nagel's testimony in which he said John O'Keefe was not in Karen Read's Lexus at 34F (the interior light was on and Karen was alone), and not outside of the car, and that he observed the tail lights on Karen Read's car were intact?

I would love to hear someone explain this away.

I asked @thebedbug before but this is open to anyone

Anyone?

Thanks, @Curiousobserver. I appreciate your response.

Random thought

Anyone want to explain away Ryan Nagel's testimony in which he said John O'Keefe was not in Karen Read's Lexus at 34F (the interior light was on and Karen was alone), and not outside of the car, and that he observed the tail lights on Karen Read's car were intact?

I would love to hear someone explain this away.

I asked @thebedbug before but this is open to anyone

Anyone?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
afj9