VERDICT WATCH MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@alcaprari23

BREAKING: The Karen Read jury now once again tells the judge it is deadlocked and at an impasse. The Judge says she will invoke Tuey-Rodriguez, which instructs the jury to keep going. But if the jury cannot reach a unanimous verdict after that, the judge cannot send them back.

10:54 AM · Jul 1, 2024

@TedDanielnews

Breaking: Jury has come back a 2nd time in Karen Read murder trial saying they are deadlocked. Judge now asking both sides how they want to proceed. Lally says they need to keep going.Yannetti says it's time to give the jury the "dynamite" or now or never instructions for a final push.

We should hear the contents of the note they sent to the Judge shortly when the jury is brought back in

10:56 AM · Jul 1, 2024

that's a reporter posting his tweets in an article. there doesn't appear to be anything special preventing the jury from making a request to the judge, like I'm saying. all of this re: transcripts is standard operating procedure for trials.
In my observation, it is not standard procedure to prevent the jury from seeking access to the testimony from the trial.

that's a reporter posting his tweets in an article. there doesn't appear to be anything special preventing the jury from making a request to the judge, like I'm saying. all of this re: transcripts is standard operating procedure for trials.
There are plenty more sources out there, this is all I had handy.

I can definitely see attorneys arguing over every word for months but why can't they just watch the unedited video?

My guess is because that's the way it's always been done. Trials have been held for centuries, long before live streaming. And not all trials are recorded/live streamed, so to keep it uniform, legally speaking, this is not something they do? I don't know....maybe it will change someday? But, can you imagine how long deliberations would go on if they were allowed to watch all of the testimony all over again?

I just had a feeling this is how it would go....she will issue the Rogriguez...they will again go back...probably at this point very very unhappy and eat the lunch again and come back for final deadlock this afternoon. I think foreman may get to his day job still today. No one changed any minds over the weekend. Judge knows what will happy and is very very unhappy too. Absent some inspirational words from judge this is a done deal. And honestly what can she say?

I pretty much predicted that if this went to hour 16 of deliberations that this would be a hung jury. My prediction was 2 days forgetting that this jury would not be deliberating 8 hours a day as a normal jury would. lol They came back around hour 17 or 18 saying they were deadlocked.

I mostly felt this way because if by the end of 2 days (16 hours), they definitely would have taken a vote and if all of them didn't see this as an easy acquittal, and if Alan Jackson was unable to convince them with his closing, it was very unlikely that their fellow jurors would convince them.

What I find interesting is that the defense is obviously worried that they are leaning towards guilt. Yannetti tried to get Judge Cannone to read Tuay-Rodriguez last week. If she had, it would be over right now with a hung jury. I would have thought that they would want them to go back as much as possible. 1 or 2 people could never convince 10-11 people to vote guilty. But also, they know whether or not Karen is actually guilty.

Besides asking for the non-existent SERT report, have they even asked?

ETA: SERT, not SAR.
I don't know. I believe they were told in the jury instructions they would have only their notes and memories to rely on, with no clarification after they get in the jury room, so it's unclear if they had any desires to access the evidence once they started deliberation.

@KristinaRex

Judge Cannone also gave this instruction to the jury in Emmanuel Lopes' second trial after they were deadlocked. They came back with a verdict the next day and convicted Lopes of the murder of Sgt. Michael Chesna. This was just months ago.

The O'Keefe family has reentered the courtroom.

10:58 AM · Jul 1, 2024

I can definitely see attorneys arguing over every word for months but why can't they just watch the unedited video?
1. The video is not the official record. It will contain things that were stricken after an objection. 2. I'm not sure what the camera is showing in the video -- it may not always show the testifying witness. JMO.

The judge has returned to her chamber. The O'Keefe family arrives. Court officer calls for the jury to be brought in.

Reminder: After the judge reads the Tuey-Rodriguez instruction, if the jury comes back AGAIN and is still deadlocked, she must declare a hung jury and dismiss them.

Jury enters. Judge returns to the bench.

The jury says they are "deeply divided."

The judge reads the note from the jury:

The jurors file out. No smiles. One woman seems to be slightly emotional. The foreman looked solemn and has loosened his necktie since he arrived two hours ago.

Edit: include additional X posts

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members