MISTRIAL MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The other really odd thing I recall from the witness testimonies was from Paul O'Keefe. He described encountering KR in the hospital, she was screaming "IS HE DEAD" and being restrained by two security guards. POK describes walking out from being in the room with his dead brother and, upon encountering KR, blowing her a kiss.
That, to me, sounds incredibly patronising and makes me wonder if there was bad blood between the two of them already.

The other really odd thing I recall from the witness testimonies was from Paul O'Keefe. He described encountering KR in the hospital, she was screaming "IS HE DEAD" and being restrained by two security guards. POK describes walking out from being in the room with his dead brother and, upon encountering KR, blowing her a kiss.
That, to me, sounds incredibly patronising and makes me wonder if there was bad blood between the two of them already.

If I recall correctly, the testimony of POK stating he blew KR a kiss while in the hospital, was more than likely IMO BEFORE he and his family got the new updated version of the story from Jen McCabe. That woman (JMC)was like an old time switchboard operator on the phone that am. So there's that...

Agree. Do we know how the JO family felt about her to begin with?? I know someone said that she was good with the kids and good for JO. Who hasn't said that they hate someone when angry? IMO, JO was killed in the basement of that house by someone!

I have scoured the internet, and cannot find anything to substantiate the claim that Yannetti initially said publically that it was a horrible "accident" and they would prove it in court. Anyone?
Somewhere on YouTube.
Two years ago, when another judge was there. He also said he found that case defensible, or defendable.

What got to me about his interview was how incensed he was over Proctor's PERSONAL phone being seized, with all the nasty texts on it, like poor Proctor was another "victim" in all of this, his life being ruined. He was also strangely upset that the FBI was called in to investigate, and he wants answers as to why that was ordered.
It’s not strange that he’s upset about the FBI involvement. They provided exonerating neural party evidence, and Paul wants Karen in prison.

My mom butt dials me a lot with her iPhone, but she always fills my voicemail inbox with dead air because she hasn’t realized. The combo of repeated butt dials and no voicemails is what doesn’t make sense to me.
Exactly! And I don’t know how many times I have watched an episode of The First 48 on A&E. I can think of at least two examples - where the suspect, under questioning, doesn’t realize that investigators have evidence of a call placed - by butt / derrière dialing or a placed call to another uninvolved individual - whereby the recorded message (unbeknownst to the suspect) was incriminating and told the story. A voice mail and / or recorded message.

One example IIRC was a supposed kidnapping / ransom gone bad - and the other an individual having placed a call to a friend during a road rage incident in which the suspect shot dead another driver. In both cases a recorded call had sealed their fate.

And the absence of those missing recorded messages in this case speaks volumes IMO. MOO

Exactly! And I don’t know how many times I have watched an episode of The First 48 on A&E. I can think of at least two examples - where the suspect, under questioning, doesn’t realize that investigators have evidence of a call placed - by butt / derrière dialing or a placed call to another uninvolved individual - whereby the recorded message (unbeknownst to the suspect) was incriminating and told the story. A voice mail and / or recorded message.

One example IIRC was a supposed kidnapping / ransom gone bad - and the other an individual having placed a call to a friend during a road rage incident in which the suspect shot dead another driver. In both cases a recorded call had sealed their fate.

And the absence of those missing recorded messages in this case speaks volumes IMO. MOO
In this situation phones returned each others butt dials repeatedly and timely. , added to above.

In this situation phones returned each others butt dials repeatedly and timely. , added to above.

It truly was an amazing feat, or coincidence ;) in those early morning hours of Jan 29th, 2022 in Canton MA....by multiple people no less. All of those participants who were coincidentally present at 34 Fairview earlier that evening.
Come On !!!

Do you have a link to this? I'm a dog walker and have tried googling but every time I do it's all about Chloe.

Edit: While I haven't been in every room of every house I walk from, in 20+ years of doing this I've never NOT been in a client's house.

When covid came into play, we did make changes, such as the dog being in the backyard for pickups and drop offs, or on the porch.
I'm having difficulty remembering her name, she testified, black hair.. i'll keep searching

Wonder if anyone is speaking about the judge or their role in this mistrial?

By comparison IMO are the Alex Murdaugh and Michelle Troconos trials. In following each of those trials the judges IMO made it clear in court and on the record the basis and rationale for any sustained or overruled objections. In many examples within those trials there was discussion and debate by counsels and the judges on the rulings.

In this trial for KR IIRC there were multiple examples only where the objection was merely ruled on. And IMO any clear basis or rationale did not seem apparent. IANAL MOO

This is the first trial I watched where grounds for an objection weren't required or a sustained objection was not explained, leaving jurors to just assume that the question was improper or worse, when it could simply have been that it had already been asked and answered. It really does not seem ethical!

IMO MOO

Do you have a link to this? I'm a dog walker and have tried googling but every time I do it's all about Chloe.

Edit: While I haven't been in every room of every house I walk from, in 20+ years of doing this I've never NOT been in a client's house.

When covid came into play, we did make changes, such as the dog being in the backyard for pickups and drop offs, or on the porch.
Julie Nagle's testimony, day 1, I believe.
This is Day 2, searching for her full testimony day1'

Proctor was prejudiced against KR from the beginning. I think it was 16 hours into the investigation he was texting his buddies IIRC. She never had a chance!
MOO
I think he immediately - and probably sincerely - decided she was guilty and was disappointed no taillight evidence was at the scene. Dude clearly has the IQ of a mentally disabled gorilla.

By moving things along by planting evidence he was helping both his friends the Alberts and himself. Make it a slam dunk so he didn't have to do any serious work, like identify and interview all those witnesses. So much easier to just do a group chat with some of the principals and call it a day. Clearly he had no worries that anyone would question his useless investigation, including things like taillight patterns and the origins of broken glass.

The state police system in MA needs a complete overhaul and it should start with removing anyone who had any oversight responsibilities for Proctor.

Did you watch his interview? Paul O'Keefe made it sound like his family were all suspicious at the start due to KR's behaviour.

The most odd account of her behaviour that I heard from the witness testimonies (and again from Paul's interview) was that shortly after JOK's death was confirmed, Paul O'Keefe's wife who was reasonably close with Karen, called her to check if she was doing Okay. Karen replied that she needed to remember the bad times and that she probably wouldn't be seeing them any more.

POK's wife then relayed that to the rest of the family. I can understand why they all found that behaviour to be suspicious.

I can also perhaps understand on Karen's part that she'd always felt like an outsider and that since the only thing linking her to the rest of the family (JOK) was gone, that she didn't feel that she had a place there anymore.
Also, at that point she may have believed that she'd accidentally killed JOK - "I hit him"/"Could I have hit him".

Some people display odd and unexpected behaviour in times of shock and in grief.
While KR appears to very intelligent, it's clear that she's a complete mess in the face of a crises.
'she needed to remember the bad times' was a way for her to regain balance... she was in a terrible state of distress and trying to remind herself it hadn't all been good.. she was trying to keep it gogether.
Confiding in a female friend who she expected to understand her mechanism.

Re the 'she wouldn't be seeing them anymore' I'm not sure exactly what went down when she returned to OK house to collect her few belongings... Did she experience any empathy sympathy or compassion as his long term partner or was there some hostility towards her?

Thanks @kittythehare for the refresher on Julie Nagel's testimony. I am re-watching cross now, as Yannetti just asked JN if Jennifer McCabe was 'Investigating', due to Julie Nagel providing her screenshots of chat between her and her brother Ryan to JMC. JN said no. Yannetti asked if she provided any other investigator her screen shots. JN says no.

Jen McCabe thought she was the " Pink Panther " . lol

Way to insert self, JMC.

Geez

Thanks @kittythehare for the refresher on Julie Nagel's testimony. I am re-watching cross now, as Yannetti just asked JN if Jennifer McCabe was 'Investigating', due to Julie Nagel providing her screenshots of chat between her and her brother Ryan to JMC. JN said no. Yannetti asked if she provided any other investigator her screen shots. JN says no.

Jen McCabe thought she was the " Pink Panther " . lol

Way to insert self, JMC.

Geez
See minute 43.. when she was confronted of pet sitting the Mc Cabes having claimed she had never been in their house!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper