MISTRIAL MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just got interested in this case about one week ago. Watching trial videos and slowly reading comments here.
SO much detail.
One question that keeps coming back to me is MOTIVE? Why? I am leaning toward a beat down, but why??

Most of these people seem to LIKE John, so why would anyone try to hurt him? Really hope someone breaks and truth comes out.
i don't really think anyone set out to injure him let alone kill him. Somehow with this group in the basement and all the drinks flowing something got out of control.

Seems reasonable. But, why drop him off in their front yard? Why not drive him farther away? If that was what they did, seems odd. They could not have known KR had a broken tail light at 4am?

Drop him off at a neighbors during a snow storm? Why would he be at a neighbors when he was dropped off at the Albert's? Why risk being seen on cameras? Why risk DNA in a vehicle? Every additional move raises the risk factor.

They weren't trying to frame Read necessarily. Most speculate they were hoping the plow driver would be blamed. He was put out after Lucky's first pass by the house. They kept the script very simple. "Just tell them the guy never came in the house." Direct quote from Matt McCabe group text. No idea what happened out there. Never saw him. Never heard him. Maybe Karen hit him. Maybe Lucky hit him after he passed out in the street. Or maybe some other random vehicle hit him. We only know the guy never came into the house.

Drop him off at a neighbors during a snow storm? Why would he be at a neighbors when he was dropped off at the Albert's? Why risk being seen on cameras? Why risk DNA in a vehicle? Every additional move raises the risk factor.

They weren't trying to frame Read necessarily. Most speculate they were hoping the plow driver would be blamed. He was put out after Lucky's first pass by the house. They kept the script very simple. "Just tell them the guy never came in the house." Direct quote from Matt McCabe group text. No idea what happened out there. Never saw him. Never heard him. Maybe Karen hit him. Maybe Lucky hit him after he passed out in the street. Or maybe some other random vehicle hit him. We only know the guy never came into the house.
Sounds right.

Another thing that stood out to me is how several of the key players did not go to sleep when they got home. I would be exhausted after drinking all night. And the disappearing jeep, wth.

JO's family deserves the truth. I hope sleuths keep up the search.

A hearing on the duty status of the lead investigator in the Karen Read case will be held on Monday.
…….
Following the hearing, State Police could decide to suspend Proctor with or without pay, receive restricted duties or get his job back. He cannot be fired as a result of the hearing.

@OldCop can he ever be fired?

I think the snowplow er.. snowblower covered him. Appears that there was much more snow on him than would have been expected. Great for covering tracks.

I had at some point considered this possibility, specifically that Chloe could have attacked John in the yard when she was briefly let out, causing him to fall backwards at strike his head on the fire hydrant.
However, looking at google maps street view, and comparing it to the dashcam video from the Police cruiser arriving at 34 Fairview Rd (Timestamp approx 6:14:55 in this video) I can estimate that JOK's body (marked with red X in picture) lay approximately 23 feet from the fire hydrant.
I also considered that he could have struck his head on the flag pole in the same manor.

However, we also know that his body temperature was approximately 80*f as measured at the hospital more than six hours after he arrived at the house. And I don't believe it's possible for him to be that warm after lying in the snow in a blizzard for six hours wearing only jeans and a light hoodie. He would have been basically frozen by 6am.
So my thinking is that he either died outside after 3am, or more likely that he died inside and remained in the building for some hours before being moved out to the lawn.

View attachment 515835
What is the relevance of the fire hydrant?

I think the snowplow er.. snowblower covered him. Appears that there was much more snow on him than would have been expected. Great for covering tracks.

Plow. He was too far away from the street to be covered by anything pushed in by the plow. And the snow didn't start to get heavy until daybreak, around the time the body was discovered. Lucky's early pass throughs were basically prep work for the coming blizzard.

Sounds right.

Another thing that stood out to me is how several of the key players did not go to sleep when they got home. I would be exhausted after drinking all night. And the disappearing jeep, wth.

JO's family deserves the truth. I hope sleuths keep up the search.
Hoping and waiting for the FBI to step into the trial witnesses, they know SO MUCH. Hoping for big surprises coming the Alberts and McCabes way. Oh, and of course Higgins. No, those people don't need to sleep when there is work to be done, had a little help there.

@OldCop can he ever be fired?
He can be, but sometimes it takes a while. The police unions and bargaining agreements outline procedures which must be followed when determining punishment for a LEO who is being charged with any type of misconduct. It will also depend if he is charged with a crime vs violation of policy and procedures.
There is a relatively new game in town which deals with police misconduct. It is called POST, an acronym for MA Peace Officer Standards and Training Commission.
“Massachusetts Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Commission, a watchdog agency born from reforms adopted after the murder of George Floyd by a Minneapolis officer nearly four years ago, as state officials sought to bring all Massachusetts police departments under consistent regulations.”.
I am not all that familiar with POST policies, but is seems they have the power to suspend officers and also to bar them from ever returning to police work. Attached is an interesting article dated February 2024 which explains a little about POST and some of the cases they were involved in. A few involve MSP troopers.
Often, PO’s charged with a serious crime will resign from their positions before the case goes to court in order to keep their pensions. Once convicted, an officer will usually loose his pension if he is still a member of the department/agency especially if it is a felony conviction.

Plow. He was too far away from the street to be covered by anything pushed in by the plow. And the snow didn't start to get heavy until daybreak, around the time the body was discovered. Lucky's early pass throughs were basically prep work for the coming blizzard.

I think there own snowblower was used that night, and then later that morning the same snowblower was used 'at the crime scene to look for evidence. MOO

He can be, but sometimes it takes a while. The police unions and bargaining agreements outline procedures which must be followed when determining punishment for a LEO who is being charged with any type of misconduct. It will also depend if he is charged with a crime vs violation of policy and procedures.
There is a relatively new game in town which deals with police misconduct. It is called POST, an acronym for MA Peace Officer Standards and Training Commission.
“Massachusetts Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Commission, a watchdog agency born from reforms adopted after the murder of George Floyd by a Minneapolis officer nearly four years ago, as state officials sought to bring all Massachusetts police departments under consistent regulations.”.
I am not all that familiar with POST policies, but is seems they have the power to suspend officers and also to bar them from ever returning to police work. Attached is an interesting article dated February 2024 which explains a little about POST and some of the cases they were involved in. A few involve MSP troopers.
Often, PO’s charged with a serious crime will resign from their positions before the case goes to court in order to keep their pensions. Once convicted, an officer will usually loose his pension if he is still a member of the department/agency especially if it is a felony conviction.
Thanks, will read through this later

I think there own snowblower was used that night, and then later that morning the same snowblower was used 'at the crime scene to look for evidence. MOO
There was no report or testimony that an Albert snowblower was used that night or in the morning anywhere near where John was found. The Canton PD did get a leaf blower after the body was found to move some of snow around to look for evidence. And although there was only a few inches of snow on the ground then, they didn't find any taillight.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meadams14
Back