MISTRIAL MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
In light of this information, this hearing on July 22 should be interesting….
Or do you think it will be postponed now?

IANAL, but I believe the information released leaves HUGE Doubt as to why the judge declared a mistrial, without conferring with the defense. I read Alan Jackson's motion, it is alarming at best.

It appears to me, that the decision to declare a mistrial was to save face for the CW, so they can still hang their guilty of murder hat on KR. Get a second bite at the apple.

KR was acquitted of murder ! And the judge let it go....(The beach was calling ) No option to speak with attorneys before or after, no discussion of the charges or findings....just.. "Byeeee". I call foul too !

If it's really true that the jury voted for acquittal on two of the charges, then the judge has badly erred. Either she never bothered to ask the jury or she never informed the defense. Either way this would be a serious violation of a defendant's right to not be re-tried for the same crime.

Definite double jeopardy issues. I'm sure the judge will say "That's just how we do things in Massachusetts, Mr. Jackson", but she should not be retired on these counts if this is true.

They are never going to find 12 jurors to find her guilty of anything.

Definite double jeopardy issues. I'm sure the judge will say "That's just how we do things in Massachusetts, Mr. Jackson", but she should not be retired on these counts if this is true.

They are never going to find 12 jurors to find her guilty of anything.

July 22 is going to be interesting for sure. I wonder if the judge will be as rude to Martin G. Weinberg as she was to Yannetti and Jackson.

Another article coming out on this…

Her lawyers wrote that they "began receiving unsolicited communications from three of the twelve deliberating jurors indicating in no uncertain terms that the jury had a firm 12-0 agreement that Ms. Read was not guilty of two of the three charges against her"​

(Sorry for this enormous bold type!)

I am speechless at this, but strangely not incredulous as well. Seems like par for what has been the course in this case and in this courtroom. Shameful.
I truly hope this is the beginning of the end for all of them. The judge, the DA, ADA, MSP, CPD, Alberts, McCabes, Levinson, Nagel, BH, all of them.

I wouldn’t be surprised JOK had something on them regarding Sandra Birchmore. After all, he was a part of SORI unit. I always wondered if he came across something that ran deep within Norfolk LE…

July 22 is going to be interesting for sure. I wonder if the judge will be as rude to Martin G. Weinberg as she was to Yannetti and Jackson.
One has to wonder ch_13^^…. And IMO she was also rather disrespectful to Ms. Read.

When the judge made comment late in the trial to Ms. Read about whether she might have found something amusing (in the judge’s opinion IIRC)….. it seems that all that should have been said was something such as ‘please Ms. Read, have respect for the court’. SMH. MOO

I wouldn’t be surprised JOK had something on them regarding Sandra Birchmore. After all, he was a part of SORI unit. I always wondered if he came across something that ran deep within Norfolk LE…

John would have had no connection to Birchmore. He was on the Boston PD which is Suffolk County. Birchmore died in Canton and was abused by Stoughton cops in Norfolk County.

I KNEW the judge didn't want that out. JUST what i thought.. THATS why she went back. She wanted that kept quiet. Judge may find herself in hot water.
Judge should be up for the next hearing after Proctor. My God. Did she never bother to ask the jury if they were deadlocked on ALL counts? She's either criminally inept or just criminal.

I'm going to take a guess that the ones voting for guilty on the manslaughter charge just wanted to charge her for something based on her reckless behavior that night. I feel that if they had offered a DUI charge, they would have ultimately acquitted on the 3 big counts and convicted her on the DUI and that would be the end of this.

I'm going to take a guess that the ones voting for guilty on the manslaughter charge just wanted to charge her for something based on her reckless behavior that night. I feel that if they had offered a DUI charge, they would have ultimately acquitted on the 3 big counts and convicted her on the DUI and that would be the end of this.
Agree. And the prosecution knew that would be the likely compromise (even if it arguably wasn't proven) and avoided adding the charge for that reason.

17 pages of today's filing here

Yup we now know what those quoted fundamental moral differences referred to. You don’t get to inflict morals on a defendant in lieu of evidence.

If you read the filing Yanetti says they were 6-6 on the manslaughter charge before being sent back and finished at 8-4

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Veronica Farnsworth
Back