MISTRIAL MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I reckon myself that 'suspended without pay' is for considerably more than misogynistic texts to his wee cult..
I don't think this was his first rodeo either...
Was it?
How does anybody imagine the appeal jury will weigh his bits of glass and give them credence.

I believe the Karen Read case s just the tip of the iceberg.

This is how we do things in Mass and we ain't no quit.

Quite!

I do hope the internal investigation looks into the possible planting of evidence. But I doubt it, because then the Commonwealth would have to dismiss the case against KR if they find proof of tampering. I think they'll just fire him for his texts, the fact he was sharing privileged info with his HS buds, and drunk driving in his cruiser. That's sufficient and then they don't need to look into anything else. That also allows them to sweep under the rug the wrongdoing of his superiors who received many of those texts.

I think it'll take the FBI to pursue this any further.

I think you need to give considerable latitude to what might have happened since both of the people were very drunk, almost to the point of unconsciousness. One scenario is he existed the car and was leaning down to vomit (which was all over him) and she hit the back of his head with the spine of the tail light, as he braced himself his right arm ended up in the wheel well and was dragged a short distance backward, and then forward when she completed the turn. You can imagine a hundred other scenarios where the back of his head hit the tail light, the ground, the fire hydrant or whatever and none of them take more than a minute to happen.

The critical things is that there are only 2 ways that you get tail light pieces on the ground and on his shirt with his DNA on the tail light. The simplest is that he and that tail light made violent contact at some point right there in that spot. The second is that Michael Proctor planted all of that evidence without being detected. While MP certainly should not have sent any of those emails to his sister they in no way are evidence that he planted evidence.

During the course of every investigation, police have the opportunity to plant evidence.

If we allowed every defendant to be acquitted simply because it's possible, based on gaps in the investigation, that police planted evidence we might as well close our court system. (and I am in no way naive to think this doesn't happen
I can't imagine even one scenario where he is bent over vomiting on his underwear inside his pants but miraculously not vomiting on his pants or on the ground in the street and is then hit by a tail light spine protruding minimally that is also likely now located above and well away from his face down head and yet somehow he also wasn't hit on his pushed out backside. There isn't a way I can Twister or Matrix that maneuver for a strike to only the base of his skull by a taillight spine when he's doubled over. And didn't the CW try to argue the arm injures were "pattern matched" from the taillight (ie he was hit in the arm)? Also see what @applegreentree just posted as I saw that after writing much of this.

The skull fracture incapacitated him immediately. He was knocked out and would not have been able to move under his own volition from the spot he dropped, this was testified to by ME Dr. Scordi-Bello who also said O’Keefe’s CAUSE of death was blunt impact injuries causing an "extensive" number of fractures extending from his occipital bone of the skull forward through the bowl shaped bottom of the skull and hypothermia. A flat panel taillight hitting someone square on one of the thickest parts of the human skull isn't going to cause that much fracturing without extensive damage to the vehicle and his body elsewhere, neither of which existed. It's not ethical for the ME to decide manner (accident versus homicide) if she doesn't have enough information from her exam or the investigators to make a decision. The murder weapon was also not found, because no one looked for it. But it wasn't the Lexus.

Sgt. Yuri Bukhenik testified John O’Keefe’s clothes were wet and had "traces" of vomit on them, he was not covered in vomit. Trace = "a very small quantity, especially one too small to be accurately measured". It's my recollection that vomit was only found on his underwear inside his pants, and in his airway. He could have even vomited on himself at the bar with his pants down. Or maybe it's someone else's vomit that threw up to the sight of JO's blood and eyes swelling shut after an altercation where clothes were yanked down or off. Were the traces of vomit on him tested for DNA? Of course not. Could he have been washed up before being drug outside? Yes. But they still missed three other people's DNA on his pants. Could they have also washed the arm to rid it of dog DNA? Yes. Was there curbside or street vomit found where the vehicle was? Not that I've heard but if there's a source... were all the missing clothes recovered, or just the mysteriously clean shoe in comparison other shoe?

I 100% think evidence was tampered with. And planted. For the umpteen reasons that have already been covered by others.

Forensic pathologist Dr. Frank Sheridan testified that in his experience JO's injuries were not consistent with being struck by an SUV. He also testified the arm injuries were consistent with a dog, were "fresh" and occurred "minutes to hours" before death.

FBI accident reconstructionists said a vehicle strike didn't make sense. No one with any credibility on the stand could justify a vehicle strike as the mechanism of injury either scientifically or experientially.

Taillight touch DNA means nothing when he's in and around that car regularly. There was other DNA on the tail light too, either from random people touching the tail light navigating around the vehicle or from officers dumb enough to touch or fabricate evidence without wearing gloves.

So, sorry I can't imagine any scenario that is scientifically supported where he was hit by a vehicle and died from the resulting skull fracture and hypothermia.

Easter egg sidebar for those who have read this far - anyone see the former department of defense interrogator on YouTube do a highly detailed assessment the body language and verbal testimony of CA and JM? IT IS FASCINATING. Not sure if I can say his channel name or not. Perhaps google "The truth exposed: Jen McCabe confesses Karen's innocence."

IMO

I can't imagine even one scenario where he is bent over vomiting on his underwear inside his pants but miraculously not vomiting on his pants or on the ground in the street and is then hit by a tail light spine protruding minimally that is also likely now located above and well away from his face down head and yet somehow he also wasn't hit on his pushed out backside. There isn't a way I can Twister or Matrix that maneuver for a strike to only the base of his skull by a taillight spine when he's doubled over. And didn't the CW try to argue the arm injures were "pattern matched" from the taillight (ie he was hit in the arm)? Also see what @applegreentree just posted as I saw that after writing much of this.

The skull fracture incapacitated him immediately. He was knocked out and would not have been able to move under his own volition from the spot he dropped, this was testified to by ME Dr. Scordi-Bello who also said O’Keefe’s CAUSE of death was blunt impact injuries causing an "extensive" number of fractures extending from his occipital bone of the skull forward through the bowl shaped bottom of the skull and hypothermia. A flat panel taillight hitting someone square on one of the thickest parts of the human skull isn't going to cause that much fracturing without extensive damage to the vehicle and his body elsewhere, neither of which existed. It's not ethical for the ME to decide manner (accident versus homicide) if she doesn't have enough information from her exam or the investigators to make a decision. The murder weapon was also not found, because no one looked for it. But it wasn't the Lexus.

Sgt. Yuri Bukhenik testified John O’Keefe’s clothes were wet and had "traces" of vomit on them, he was not covered in vomit. Trace = "a very small quantity, especially one too small to be accurately measured". It's my recollection that vomit was only found on his underwear inside his pants, and in his airway. He could have even vomited on himself at the bar with his pants down. Or maybe it's someone else's vomit that threw up to the sight of JO's blood and eyes swelling shut after an altercation where clothes were yanked down or off. Were the traces of vomit on him tested for DNA? Of course not. Could he have been washed up before being drug outside? Yes. But they still missed three other people's DNA on his pants. Could they have also washed the arm to rid it of dog DNA? Yes. Was there curbside or street vomit found where the vehicle was? Not that I've heard but if there's a source... were all the missing clothes recovered, or just the mysteriously clean shoe in comparison other shoe?

I 100% think evidence was tampered with. And planted. For the umpteen reasons that have already been covered by others.

Forensic pathologist Dr. Frank Sheridan testified that in his experience JO's injuries were not consistent with being struck by an SUV. He also testified the arm injuries were consistent with a dog, were "fresh" and occurred "minutes to hours" before death.

FBI accident reconstructionists said a vehicle strike didn't make sense. No one with any credibility on the stand could justify a vehicle strike as the mechanism of injury either scientifically or experientially.

Taillight touch DNA means nothing when he's in and around that car regularly. There was other DNA on the tail light too, either from random people touching the tail light navigating around the vehicle or from officers dumb enough to touch or fabricate evidence without wearing gloves.

So, sorry I can't imagine any scenario that is scientifically supported where he was hit by a vehicle and died from the resulting skull fracture and hypothermia.

Easter egg sidebar for those who have read this far - anyone see the former department of defense interrogator on YouTube do a highly detailed assessment the body language and verbal testimony of CA and JM? IT IS FASCINATING. Not sure if I can say his channel name or not. Perhaps google "The truth exposed: Jen McCabe confesses Karen's innocence."

IMO
also people tend to vomit following brain injuries, not preceding them.

Watching Day 13. Matt McCabe is a weird dude. He thinks he's funny but he's just irritating imo.
He seemed to have his testimony well-prepared.
What I don't understand is how he saw BH's jeep in between Ryan Nagel's truck and Karen Read's SUV when Ryan, Julie, the driver and Heather never saw a jeep there. How can that be!
(on video around 3:48).

Watching Day 13. Matt McCabe is a weird dude. He thinks he's funny but he's just irritating imo.
He seemed to have his testimony well-prepared.
What I don't understand is how he saw BH's jeep in between Ryan Nagel's truck and Karen Read's SUV when Ryan, Julie, the driver and Heather never saw a jeep there. How can that be!
(on video around 3:48).
"Oh what a tangled web we weave/When first we practice to deceive"

I do hope the internal investigation looks into the possible planting of evidence. But I doubt it, because then the Commonwealth would have to dismiss the case against KR if they find proof of tampering. I think they'll just fire him for his texts, the fact he was sharing privileged info with his HS buds, and drunk driving in his cruiser. That's sufficient and then they don't need to look into anything else. That also allows them to sweep under the rug the wrongdoing of his superiors who received many of those texts.

It's not just the KR case.. there were others.

They will need to investigate thoroughly I think because everybody knows about it now! That includes all the other good employees of the MSP and Canton Police and Boston Police.
I don't see how they can sweep any of this under the rug at this point. Even those supervisors who MP sent those disparaging and disgusting texts to will need to be disciplined for not intervening! They did not report him for those texts and went along with that, so MP will ensure he doesn't go down alone.
I agree that I believe it's sufficient to fire him outright with driving his police cruiser after drinking. In 2024 (or 2022), I never thought this would still be considered par for the course!
That in itself should be grounds to fire him because it puts the safety of every human being in his path at risk. And the texts I believe would be secondary firing for a disgrace to the uniform.
The world is watching because of the exemplary work that the defense put into this trial! No thanks to the CW.
MOO.

They will need to investigate thoroughly I think because everybody knows about it now! That includes all the other good employees of the MSP and Canton Police and Boston Police.
I don't see how they can sweep any of this under the rug at this point. Even those supervisors who MP sent those disparaging and disgusting texts to will need to be disciplined for not intervening! They did not report him for those texts and went along with that, so MP will ensure he doesn't go down alone.
I agree that I believe it's sufficient to fire him outright with driving his police cruiser after drinking. In 2024 (or 2022), I never thought this would still be considered par for the course!
That in itself should be grounds to fire him because it puts the safety of every human being in his path at risk. And the texts I believe would be secondary firing for a disgrace to the uniform.
The world is watching because of the exemplary work that the defense put into this trial! No thanks to the CW.
MOO.
Can someone remind me, does MatM work in IT?

I see no possibility that the defense motion might succeed, unless literally every single juror from the first trial comes forward and testifies, and even then it would not be a sure thing.

However, it was still a good thing for Jackson to make noise about this now, because it could help prevent shenanigans during the next trial.
I hear you but when you study this, there's more than one anomaly

I'm not seeing the anomalies.

(b) Several offenses or defendants​

If there are two or more offenses or defendants tried together, the jury may with the consent of the judge at any time during its deliberations return or be required by the judge to return a verdict or verdicts with respect to the defendants or charges as to which a verdict has been reached; and thereafter the jury may in the discretion of the judge resume deliberation. The judge may declare a mistrial as to any charges upon which the jury cannot agree upon a verdict; provided, however, that the judge may first require the jury to return verdicts on those charges upon which the jury can agree and direct that such verdicts be received and recorded.

Subdivision (b)

This subdivision permits a jury in multiple-defendant or multiple-offense cases, with the consent of the court, to return a verdict at any time during their deliberations with respect to charges or defendants as to which a verdict has been reached. This rule also permits the court to require the return of such verdicts before the jury has reached a verdict as to all the defendants or charges. In either case, if the court directs, the jury is to continue its deliberations after rendering the verdicts under this subdivision. To the extent that this rule permits the jury to return such verdicts without having reached a decision on all the charges or defendants, it is consistent with Fed.R.Crim.P. 31(b)-(c). Accord Rules of Criminal Procedure (U.L.A.) Rule 535(c)-(d) (1974).

This rule also provides that the court may declare a mistrial in cases where the jury is unable to reach a verdict. However, it must first receive and record the verdicts which the jury can agree upon. See ABA Standards Relating to Trial by Jury §§ 5.4-.5 (Approved Draft, 1968); Rules of Criminal Procedure (U.L.A.), supra, Rule 541.

Subdivision (b) does not prohibit retrial of those defendants as to whom the jury is unable to reach a verdict. This is consistent with Fed.R.Crim.P. 31(b), which provides that, in cases of multiple defendants, disagreement as to one or more defendants has no effect upon the verdict as to any other defendant, and such defendant may be retried without violating the protection of the double jeopardy clause. 8A J. MOORE, FEDERAL PRACTICE para. 31.02[2] (1978 rev.). It has long been settled that jeopardy does not attach where the jury is discharged after inability to reach a verdict. United States v. Perez , 22 U.S. 579, 9 Wheat. 579 (1824); Thames v. Commonwealth , 365 Mass. 477 (1974). It is within the discretion of the court to declare a mistrial where there is a “manifest necessity.” United States v. Perez, supra at 580. Unless such “manifest necessity” exists, a second prosecution will be barred by the double jeopardy clause. Since Perez, it has been held that where the jury has been unable to agree upon a verdict, the declaration of a mistrial is a “classic example” of manifest necessity. United States v. Castellanos , 478 F.2d 749, 751 (2d Cir.1973). Thus the defendant may be retried without twice being placed in jeopardy.

Subdivision (d)

This subdivision is based upon Fed.R.Crim.P. 31(d), but differs in that the polling of the jury is to be discretionary with the court rather than a right of the defendant so as to conform to existing Massachusetts practice. That this discretion is well-settled in the Commonwealth was recently reaffirmed in Commonwealth v. Stewart , 375 Mass. 380 (1978). See also Commonwealth v. Valliere , 366 Mass. 479, 497 (1974); Commonwealth v. Caine , 366 Mass. 366, 375 (1974); Commonwealth v. Fleming , 360 Mass. 404, 408 (1971) (jurors polled); Commonwealth v. Beneficial Finance Co., supra, at 300-301. Under Rule 31 of the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure and under the ABA Standards Relating to Trial by Jury § 5.5 (Approved Draft, 1968), a jury is to be polled only at the request of a party or upon the court's own motion. In any case, where a jury has been polled and there is not a unanimous concurrence, compare Commonwealth v. Fleming, supra, or it appears that the verdict was a compromise or other serious doubts are raised as to its integrity, see Commonwealth v. Stewart, supra, the court may declare a mistrial, or alternatively, order further deliberations. Accord, Rules of Criminal Procedure (U.L.A.) Rule 535(e) (1974).

The case against Alec Baldwin for the shooting on the Rust set was just dismissed by the judge with prejudice. This was because the prosecution failed to give one particular piece of evidence over to the defense. It wouldn't have proven he didn't have the gun and didn't fire the gun, but nevertheless, it was evidence withheld. This could have and should have happened in this case IMVHO. This judge was completely different - and turned a blind eye to many, many things on the prosecution side! Again, JMVHO

The case against Alec Baldwin for the shooting on the Rust set was just dismissed by the judge with prejudice. This was because the prosecution failed to give one particular piece of evidence over to the defense. It wouldn't have proven he didn't have the gun and didn't fire the gun, but nevertheless, it was evidence withheld. This could have and should have happened in this case IMVHO. This judge was completely different - and turned a blind eye to many, many things on the prosecution side! Again, JMVHO

I agree ! The flipped video and proof should have been the cause for an immediate dismissal. The prosecutor Lally and the LE investigators all KNEW they were submitting misleading evidence. The defense called their bluff on live feed, and yet.....nothing from Judge Bev.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Owlsorflowers
Back