MISTRIAL MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Peter is an excellent attorney, and I essentially followed this case via his trial day recaps.

In this matter of the acquitted charges, I believe the very experienced parties did not push the issue intentionally when mistrial declared because neither side wanted to know the answer.

However, relative to the Jurors who were left wondering why they were sent home when they felt like they were not finished and/or didn't understand why nobody seemed to wanted to know the results of their deliberations, I do hold Judge C responsible pursuant to CT Crim Rule of Proc., Rule 27-- which is specific that this is the Judge's
responsibility and requires the consent of the Judge.

IMO, no Juror should spent 7+ weeks at Trial and sent home feeling like they were suppose to know the Trial Rules sans guidance from the Court! Especially given the consequences for the defendant where legally, I think she could very well be retried for charges she was acquitted on except for the the NG verdict never being reported and recorded on the Court record. I feel their pain and fury. JMO

In other words, it's as if it never happened.
This, as well as the shoddy investigation speaks volumes. They all seem out to protect the police and hide wrong doing, IMO.

These guys testified for free so that every defense attorney in America would know their company's name. They are laughing all the way to the bank.
There are probably many defense lawyers across America that are already aware of the ARCCA since it has already seemed to have established quite a name and reputation from themselves due to its the diverse skill set, reliability and its competent application and integration of multiple scientific disciplines to solve a problem or or complete a project using strict or standardized guidelines.

It is also not just defense attorneys who would have needs of their services or benefit from them. Forensic scientists, prosecutors, LE departments, DA offices, insurance companies, the families, friends, loved ones and survivors needing answers following the accidents involving truck, motor vehicle and even carnival or trailer park rides, NASA, FEMA, first responders and those who are interested in future careers in engineering, biomedical sciences and disaster relief are just a few populations. If anything for them it is probably not making bank but making raising public knowledge or awareness among civilians about this resource.

MOO
They work with national sport organizations on reducing the risk of injury.
I’m pretty sure developing a solution for the NHL, that’s been implemented across the Northern America to reduce serious injuries, makes you a highly credible source. And an asset to many organizations. In this case, the DOJ.

They’re not laughing all the way to the bank bc of KR.

They’ve been to the bank and back way before KR. And then some.
I agree. They seem very credible IMO and I don’t think making bank by treating JOK’s life, death and integrity was their aim at all

And it is not that anyone doubts or questions a low speeding car going at 25 mph can cause severe injury to someone. What the ARCCA were analyzing and question was the likelihood a low speeding car going to 25 mph caused harm or injury to JOK and played a part in his death and if so, how? Using fundamentals and technology based science, math, anatomy, and their expertise how many scenarios could be possible that would lead to the scenario outlined by the CW and just how many scenarios could exist out their to cause to the death and injuries on a figure with JOK’s size, built, posture and such.

JMO
remind me of where the 30ft somersault fit into the CW fantasy? My brain jammed shut, I don't know that it will ever reawaken.
Maybe Trooper Paul confused his notes with a memory of Free Willy jumping over that wall

I have a question. Post above says jury didn’t find her guilty on murder 2 or leaving the scene of the crime. Was she charged with murder 1?
I didn’t get to watch the trial. I am just wondering. And what charges did the jury hang on? Thank you.
Defendant was not charged with Murder 1 and Murder 2 was clearly an overcharge by the CW.

To be clear, unless the jurors reveal what they were split on, we trulyt have no idea. However given the jurors were unanimous that the defendant was not guilty of Count 3 (leaving the scene of an accident resulting in death), it doesn't follow they'd be split on vehicular manslaughter but probably the lesser included charge of involuntary manslaughter. JMO and only the Jurors know for certain.

FYI -- Guilty on Count 3 required 6 elements proven by the CW which the jurors were unanimous they did not prove:

"First, that the defendant operated a motor vehicle. Second, that she operated on a public way or in a place in which the public has a right of access. Third, that the defendant knowingly collided with John O'Keefe. Fourth, that the collision caused injury to John O'Keefe resulting in his death. And fifth, that after causing such injury, the defendant failed to stop and provide a name, home address and registration number of the motor vehicle. And sixth, that the defendant failed to do so for the purpose of avoiding prosecution or apprehension," Cannone explained.

Jury Deliberation Rules & Charges

ETA: Good to see you here @Love Never Fails :)

Last edited:
Peter is an excellent attorney, and I essentially followed this case via his trial day recaps.

In this matter of the acquitted charges, I believe the very experienced parties did not push the issue intentionally when mistrial declared because neither side wanted to know the answer.

However, relative to the Jurors who were left wondering why they were sent home when they felt like they were not finished and/or didn't understand why nobody seemed to wanted to know the results of their deliberations, I do hold Judge C responsible pursuant to CT Crim Rule of Proc., Rule 27-- which is specific that this is the Judge's
responsibility and requires the consent of the Judge.

IMO, no Juror should spent 7+ weeks at Trial and sent home feeling like they were suppose to know the Trial Rules sans guidance from the Court! Especially given the consequences for the defendant where legally, I think she could very well be retried for charges she was acquitted on except for the the NG verdict never being reported and recorded on the Court record. I feel their pain and fury. JMO

In other words, it's as if it never happened.
Yes Seattle1. Wonderful post!

And it all circles back to this judge IMO. After watching much of this trial, courtroom treatment of counsel and the defendant, and the absence of clarity from the court on sustained or overruled objections to name only a few - I just sit here shaking my head.

Add in the IMO hurried odd behavior and pronouncements at the end by the judge to quickly excuse the jurors and clear the court. And there was the statement that the judge intended to speak with them briefly post trial. Just SMH at the time and effort expended to arrive at this point. Sure hope that the proper individuals and officials in MA are examining the rulings and court proceedings in this case. And if and where corrections or remedies are needed they are entered and enacted. MOO

Yes Seattle1. Wonderful post!

And it all circles back to this judge IMO. After watching much of this trial, courtroom treatment of counsel and the defendant, and the absence of clarity from the court on sustained or overruled objections to name only a few - I just sit here shaking my head.

Add in the IMO hurried odd behavior and pronouncements at the end by the judge to quickly excuse the jurors and clear the court. And there was the statement that the judge intended to speak with them briefly post trial. Just SMH at the time and effort expended to arrive at this point. Sure hope that the proper individuals and officials in MA are examining the rulings and court proceedings in this case. And if and where corrections or remedies are needed they are entered and enacted. MOO

Thanks for confirming I was not imaging the Judges "bench side manner."

I was appalled at her reaction to the questioning of juror instructions, verdict form, and this 'my way or the highway' attitude. Especially as BC first began practicing law in 1985, and on the bench since 2009! As Dad would say, she's had enough practice!

Beverly J. Cannone.

Thanks for confirming I was not imaging the Judges "bench side manner."

I was appalled at her reaction to the questioning of juror instructions, verdict form, and this 'my way or the highway' attitude. Especially as BC first began practicing law in 1985, and on the bench since 2009! As Dad would say, she's had enough practice!

Beverly J. Cannone.
Slobby and careless on every level, escalating as the trial went on, depending on who she was interacting with. Jurors got the baby voice, sooo embarrassing. No one would of expected this in such a serious trial. She was asked to recuse herself twice.. no.

Slobby and careless on every level, escalating as the trial went on, depending on who she was interacting with. Jurors got the baby voice, sooo embarrassing. No one would of expected this in such a serious trial. She was asked to recuse herself twice.. no.

I feel she was hideously transparent. There was zero impartiality.

See 'Crash Daddy' aka ARKA Wolfe on the stand.

Mercy

In literally every other case I've followed where the defense has asked a judge to recuse......the judge just does it and recuses without arguing. It only becomes an issue if the defense keeps asking for new judges.

Interesting thing about bruises that I haven’t seen mentioned, though I might have missed it.

We all know that the application of cold compresses and icing an injury decreases the amount of bruising and swelling. If someone is left out in the snow after being hit, it seems likely the cold would prevent or decrease bruising. Will need to do more research on this.All IMO.

SARAH BOONE got her judge to recuse. SARAH BOONE, the most obviously guilty person of all time.

SARAH BOONE, who murdered her boyfriend by stuffing him in a suitcase and then cruelly taunting him while he was begging for his life as he suffocated, and FILMED HERSELF DOING THIS. She got her judge to recuse.

Recusal is based on a conflict of interest only.

Reactions: IDK
Recusal is based on a conflict of interest only.
She has it too. Showed itself all along, didn't like being asked to recuse twice before this trial due to it. Arrogance along with ridiculous sense of her own entitlement. She needed to leave that with her own circle as now ALL are aware. Oh she is NOT happy being called out on this. Shows she is just like the Alberts and McCabes, Proctors and so on

She has it too. Showed itself all along, didn't like being asked to recuse twice before this trial due to it. Arrogance along with ridiculous sense of her own entitlement. She needed to leave that with her own circle as now ALL are aware. Oh she is NOT happy being called out on this. Shows she is just like the Alberts and McCabes, Proctors and so on

Genuine Q. where is the COI?

Reactions: IDK
vehicular manslaughter while driving drunk. vote was apparently 8-4 to convict.
There’s so much about this case i do not understand. Having not been able to watch the trial some things make no sense. If 8 jurors wanted to convict her of vehicular manslaughter then why not convict her of leaving the scene?

Genuine Q. where is the COI?
Her brother represented Chris Albert in the 90's on a charge of killing a student while driving drunk, took off, hid out, then later turned himself in. I believe he only got 6 months, 6 months. There is also the question of her involvement with the McCabe/cottage rental, one of them let the cat out of the bag of their association and hence: Auntie Bev. This is what is alerted the defense team in their ask.

Defendant was not charged with Murder 1 and Murder 2 was clearly an overcharge by the CW.

To be clear, unless the jurors reveal what they were split on, we trulyt have no idea. However given the jurors were unanimous that the defendant was not guilty of Count 3 (leaving the scene of an accident resulting in death), it doesn't follow they'd be split on vehicular manslaughter but probably the lesser included charge of involuntary manslaughter. JMO and only the Jurors know for certain.

FYI -- Guilty on Count 3 required 6 elements proven by the CW which the jurors were unanimous they did not prove:

"First, that the defendant operated a motor vehicle. Second, that she operated on a public way or in a place in which the public has a right of access. Third, that the defendant knowingly collided with John O'Keefe. Fourth, that the collision caused injury to John O'Keefe resulting in his death. And fifth, that after causing such injury, the defendant failed to stop and provide a name, home address and registration number of the motor vehicle. And sixth, that the defendant failed to do so for the purpose of avoiding prosecution or apprehension," Cannone explained.

Jury Deliberation Rules & Charges

ETA: Good to see you here @Love Never Fails :)
Thanks @Seattle. I don’t think we will ever know for sure if KR was guilty but we do know all parties were drunk or drinking. Were any police officers charged with drinking while on duty? I bet not. And I have always supported LE, but this is one crazy case.

On count 3, which elements were not proven?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aebuser
Back