MISTRIAL MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Good. These are not good cops. I'm no Turtleboy fan, but I wonder if some of this relates to how they've behaved with regard to the witness intimidation allegations.

This is also possibly very good news for Read's defense. Be funny if the only state trooper standing by the time she's retried is poor Trooper Joe Paul.

I want answers on the flipped/ mirrored video. Hope the IA will Investigate that. Not crossing my fingers either...

I want answers on the flipped/ mirrored video. Hope the IA will Investigate that. Not crossing my fingers either...

Of course, I don't know but I'm thinking that might be of their lesser concerns. I blame Lally in full for presenting that video without having a witness explain at the outset it was flipped. He wanted to confuse the jury.

It's MOO, but I don't see a retrial here. Even the judge acknowledges there are going to be appeals from one side no matter how she rules on the motion to dismiss two of the charges so that will push a trial back much further into next year, if not into 2026. In the meantime, shoes are likely to continue to drop. And there's still the FBI who we've yet to hear from.

For those following the horrific Sandra Birchmore case, Fanning was very much involved with that. (as was Canton cop Michael Lank who testified in this case and of course, Albert brother Kevin who is already suspended for bad behavior).

Not MA law per se but here’s a couple I found:

It is often used in negligence cases and/or
From your post @OldCop - below seems to be pretty on target. Betting lots of money that many of the jurors did not understand the concept.
JMO

“ Understanding the difference between causation and correlation is also essential. While correlation indicates a relationship between two events, it does not imply that one event caused the other. Causation, on the other hand, establishes a cause-and-effect relationship, asserting that one event directly leads to another.”

That she did not get the outcome she wanted?
With fresh eyes, I now clearly see her bias.

The judge is very experienced, or in the words of my favorite Attorney 'Not all experience is good experience. Sadly they often have lots of experience in doing it the wrong way!

It seems most of the posters on this thread think Karen Read should have been found not guilty of all charges. I watched the trial like a juror. That is to say I only watched testimony in front of jurors, and I really have no idea of the substance of anything else outside of that including any other investigation ongoing. At the end of the trial, I think she most likely hit him with no intent to kill him. Also, I would have probably voted not guilty due to reasonable doubt related to the sloppy investigation. However, in no way, do I buy into the conspiracy surrounding the Albert family, and it is illogical to me that every single piece of damning evidence could be planted by Proctor.

I am honestly wondering if a lot of you really believe the Albert family did something to JOK, and if so, what is the evidence to support this?

It seems most of the posters on this thread think Karen Read should have been found not guilty of all charges. I watched the trial like a juror. That is to say I only watched testimony in front of jurors, and I really have no idea of the substance of anything else outside of that including any other investigation ongoing. At the end of the trial, I think she most likely hit him with no intent to kill him. Also, I would have probably voted not guilty due to reasonable doubt related to the sloppy investigation. However, in no way, do I buy into the conspiracy surrounding the Albert family, and it is illogical to me that every single piece of damning evidence could be planted by Proctor.

I am honestly wondering if a lot of you really believe the Albert family did something to JOK, and if so, what is the evidence to support this?
As you stated, the sloppy investigation created reasonable doubt. Watching another trial in another state this week and the way the evidence was handled leaves no doubt whatsoever. So the question is does the way Canton and MSP LE handled the KR case indicate their SOP or was it an anomaly? I believe this question is at the root of all the further and ongoing investigations. Results to follow.

As to the Alberts, who knows? Why so many different stories and times, butt dials, disposed of phones, circling the wagon texts,etc? Once again, a proper investigation could have provided the answers.

As a juror, you are supposed to follow the law. There was reasonable doubt and she should have been acquitted.

Because the burden of proof is on the CW and not Karen's defense it's not really within the scope of the trial for evidence to prove this conspiracy. Although you could easily be fooled to think that it was, seeing as the CW spent more time trying to disprove the "conspiracy" than they did trying to prove the actual case they were presenting. I remain utterly shocked by how pathetic the excuses the CW had to come up with were to try and explain away exculpatory evidence in this case.

There is no way that the injuries on John O'Keefe's body could have been caused by Karen Read's SUV reversing into him at 24 mph, according to an actual expert.

There is no way that the damage caused to Karen Read's SUV was caused by it reversing into John O'Keefe at 24 mph, according to another actual expert.

There is no way that dinner plate sized pieces of bright red taillight lay undiscovered under a few inches of snow for days. Unless MSP policy states that they are only allowed to hire police officers who are terrified of snow.

There is no way that Karen Read repeatedly screamed out the words "I hit him!" and no record was made of this for MONTHS. No bodycam, not even a handwritten note by an attending officer.

There is no way John O'Keefe lay dying/dead on the lawn of 34 Fairview Avenue for 5 hours while people were coming and going in and out of the property. Apart from the "black blob" observation that, again, didn't reveal itself for an unacceptably long time.

I could go on and on. But I'll stop now.

JMO

You know, I started off on this case fresh, trying to approach it from the point of view of a juror. Albeit it one that also saw all of the legal discussions outside of the actual juror's presence.
And at first, when I watched the attending Fire department EMT's say that they heard the defendant say "I hit him, I hit him" I thought... Well why would they lie about that?
But then Katie McLaughlin was asked if she knew Caitlin Albert and her response was "I went to high school with someone called Caitlin Albert."

And it was all downhill from there for the CW!

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back