MISTRIAL MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wouldn't agree that most of the posters on this thread think she is guilty, in fact I think we are in the significant minority and have been the focus of some pretty angry and disrespectful posts.

The problem here is that a sloppy investigation and unprofessional conduct makes it easy for people to believe that the evidence that was collected isn't real, that evidence that they didn't look for actually existed, that any story the defense tells is true, and that some of the evidence is in fact planted. None of that is of course true.

Absent an elaborate evidence planting conspiracy by multiple police officers you can't explain how tail light pieces from her car are at the scene, or how those pieces are on his clothes, and how his DNA is on those pieces. You can't explain how the glass from the bar is still there with him just as it would be if he died right after he got out of that car.

Absent an elaborate conspiracy to coordinate testimony of first responders, you can't explain how she confessed at the scene that she hit him in front of multiple people.

Absent a conspiracy to coordinate testimony between civilians, you can't explain why she said she hit him and why she knew her tail light was broken while in the car searching with her friends.

Many people have focused on the testimony of one expert who testified that in his opinion those injures could not have been caused by an accident. This witness has a BS in mechanical engineering, and a PhD in photonics; neither of which have any coursework or direct relevance to accident reconstruction. He actually had no formal training in accident reconstruction, He isn't a plastic engineer, a polymer scientist, an automotive engineer, he isn't a medical Dr., he has never been an EMT or medic, he hasn't even been a lifeguard. His team did not examine the car, go to the scene, look at the body, get a real bar glass, or provide the full signed report of the studies they did. And... he and his company will benefit enormously from the publicity.

Most ER Dr. will tell you that accident injuries are often not overt for several days. And studies posted on this forum from the NHTSA show low speed pedestrian crashes result in severe injuries around 30% of the time. Around 1/3 of the time people are severely injured by low speed collisions..., and she was going up to 24mph, black-out drunk, backward.

But there is a lot more. JO's shirt and all his other clothes are still in evidence and could be tested for canine DNA by the defense, but they didn't. Why do you think they didn't? The prosecution did and found no canine DNA.

There is dashcam video showing her completely obliterated tail light from 8am that morning, before MP had her car.

Chloe the dog is alive and well. If I were trying to cover up a dog bite I would put the animal down and have them cremated.

That picture of the bloody knuckles of the teenager the defense claims hit JO; taken a month later.

The FBI investigated for 2+ years and held a Federal Grand Jury- no indictments, no charges, 3000 pages turned over to the defense and no smoking gun of framing Karen Read they could use.
Honestly no one knows for sure if she did it or not. All we have is educated opinions from the trial and investigation. No matter what anyone believes, the prosecution did not prove she did it. If it was as clear cut as you say it is, Lally should have no trouble focusing on proving this. It was a lot more convoluted than what you have laid out it. Lally can only work with the shoddy work the Canton and State Police hand him. Not all bases were covered in this investigation by any means. She may have well done it, but not checking the house for signs of a crime was a big failure. You would think the police and CW would want to leave no room for reasonable doubt. They left a lot. Not to mention all the folks who didn't report her saying she hit him in any of the reports verbally or written that day. MOO

I don't agree with people getting hostile and mean over differing opinions. We all have our own life experiences and perspectives that mold how we view things. I find it fascinating the diversity of opinions in this thread and want to see from others perspectives. I have a lot of questions, but I don't want to be labeled as mean or hostile if I ask them because I have a differing opinion.

Thank you to all of those who responded to my question about whether you think the Alberts actually did something to JOK. Based on the responses, it seems the KR supporters are coming more from the perspective that JOK's injuries aren't consistent with a vehicle strike so they are entertaining other possibilities.

Obviously, it is the prosecution's job to prove their case against KR. Although I am inclined to think she did it, I also had reasonable doubt so I understand a mistrial or not guilty from that perspective. It seems from the tone of some of the posts that people are adamant that the Alberts did something, so I was honestly just wondering if there was other evidence out there to support this that I was missing since KR was on trial, not the Alberts. I have been surprised by the vitriol towards the Alberts and others at the house, and this caused me to wonder what I am missing. Based on what I have read, it seems rooted in suspicious behavior. Maybe we will never know because the investigation was inadequate.

Like others mentioned, I really am just curious about differing opinions and how people reach their own conclusions. This is one of the things that fascinates me when following cases and why I appreciate this forum.

With all due respect, I find it interesting that many posters and those providing input or commentary here, are either deemed as ‘supporters’ of KR or the like. Or not? Or ‘supporters’ or not, of some other entity or party?

As an uninvolved participant here, not even residing in the state of Massachusetts or town of Canton, in following this case and others….. I am just looking at the evidence, testimony, investigative technique, courtroom procedural matters, rulings on the record, and attempting to determine guilt or absence of guilt by a reasonable doubt. MOO

But there is a lot more. JO's shirt and all his other clothes are still in evidence and could be tested for canine DNA by the defense, but they didn't. Why do you think they didn't? The prosecution did and found no canine DNA.
^^rsbm

It's not the defense job to prove KR innocent, and they had no duty to test anything! In this case, the test was positive for pig DNA which IMO, was most likely from the dog.

This is the second case I've followed involving testing for canine where the DNA results were positive for pig from the dog's own food. (Dateline and E. Scott Sills murder trial).

Expert disputes dog DNA defense in Karen Read murder trial

^^rsbm

It's not the defense job to prove KR innocent, and they had no duty to test anything! In this case, the test was positive for pig DNA which IMO, was most likely from the dog.

This is the second case I've followed involving testing for canine where the DNA results were positive for pig from the dog's own food. (Dateline and E. Scott Sills murder trial).

Expert disputes dog DNA defense in Karen Read murder trial

The claim that the defense didn't want to test John's clothing for DNA is simply false. In fact, very early on they filed a motion to compel to in order to get access to the shirt and test it for DNA. That motion was opposed by the commonwealth. And the judge simply refused to rule on the motion. She sat on it for something like 20 months. If she had denied it the defense could have appealed, but as long as the motion was outstanding the defense had no recourse.

Eventually, the shirt was tested by the commonwealth but not until the eve of the trial. Of course more than two years had passed since John's death by that point. The evidence chain for the clothing is tenuous at best, and who knows what happened to the shirt in those two years.

Setting aside the DNA for a moment, I just can't believe that the tiny puncture holes in the hoodie that match up perfectly with the arm wounds were caused by John's arm hitting the taillight, which is what the commonwealth is claiming. It's like they're saying "don't trust your lyin' eyes."

Well, I do trust my eyes and those are not the wounds nor the fabric damage that you would get from being hit by a car. They're just not.

1722018816708.png

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back