MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
For some.

Agreed but using the names that he used for Karen is not uncommon unfortunately. Trust me I am not condoning it. I have worked in male dominated law enforcement jobs for over 32 years. I am glad social media and cell phones were not a thing in my early days.
C word is not dark humor.
Colostomy bag is not dark humor.
R word is not dark humor.
“I hate him truly” is not dark humor.
“She’s a babe” is not dark humor.

there’s more, but I’m so outraged that I can’t think straight.

The only thing those words are is dark. There’s no humor.

I promise you, the doctors I know see death and sadness daily. Dark humor is present to cope, daily. But never those words. Ever. What proctor said is just pure hatred.

Thars the difference.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>
P was def not using dark humor to alleviate, he said he HAS her in so many words and spread that word about, for hitting and killing JO. It's how he thinks, it was obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about that, imo.
She should have recused herself ever since we saw her called "Aunt Bev" by one of the Albert's kids on social media.
Her behavior up to this point has been problematic by rushing the defense, to the point Yannetti could not include a rebuttal on record this morning. He had proof the prosecution was lying and she didn't want to hear it!
Objections stated without the reason why is by design. It goes faster (she wants to rush this through) and she doesn't have to explain why something was sustained etc.
The judge has allowed witnesses for the prosecution to narrate stories without being questioned directly.
The judge has allowed hearsay onto the record more than once.
I think a typical judge's eyes would bug out of their head (silently) if they saw solo cups being entered into evidence.
I wonder if Judge Bev will continue her vigorous interest after today.
Or is it all designed to focus on Proctor as the only bad apple in this rotten forest?

She was a smidge better today but she’s still Bev. Proctor was being asked yes/no questions and his reponse was a soliloquy of excuses, explanations, and apologies. Maybe she just wanted to make sure he had to answer for his stupidity.

For some.

Agreed but using the names that he used for Karen is not uncommon unfortunately. Trust me I am not condoning it. I have worked in male dominated law enforcement jobs for over 32 years. I am glad social media and cell phones were not a thing in my early days.
Oh I knowwwwww it's not uncommon for some, some type of LE mentality. He also spoke outside of his coworkers.

C word is not dark humor.
Colostomy bag is not dark humor.
R word is not dark humor.
“I hate him truly” is not dark humor.
“She’s a babe” is not dark humor.

there’s more, but I’m so outraged that I can’t think straight.

The only thing those words are is dark. There’s no humor.

I promise you, the doctors I know see death and sadness daily. Dark humor is present to cope, daily. But never those words. Ever. What proctor said is just pure hatred.

Thars the difference.
EXACTLY you very intelligent and evolved, key word, Universecalling.

He's being investigated by the FBI on separate matter, ongoing.

I'm not sure it's an entirely separate matter. The FBI supplied information to assist to Read's defense. I'm willing to bet pretty much anything that the State Police isn't the entity that produced the information from Proctor's personal phone. Geofence data confirming Jen McCabe's meetings at Proctor's house and the Canton cop's house also must have come from the FBI. I don't think we'll know the extent of what the FBI supplied on this case until the defense gets up.

Which is not to say he's not a target in other investigations (I mean, he's so dirty and stupid, I can't imagine this is new behavior) but we just don't know yet.

I don’t disagree, and I’ll probably get shouted off this page……. but in fairness to Lally…… he didn’t pick these witnesses for the prosecution or their evidence. This was brought to them with the investigators, the investigation, and much of their work. Granted there seems to be a considerable question as to why the case was brought, or a plea wasn’t considered, but who knows. MOO

Lally and the DA not only brought the case with these witnesses, they bumped the charge up to murder 2. How’d they arrive there?

I'm not sure it's an entirely separate matter. The FBI supplied information to assist to Read's defense. I'm willing to bet pretty much anything that the State Police isn't the entity that produced the information from Proctor's personal phone. Geofence data confirming Jen McCabe's meetings at Proctor's house and the Canton cop's house also must have come from the FBI. I don't think we'll know the extent of what the FBI supplied on this case until the defense gets up.

Which is not to say he's not a target in other investigations (I mean, he's so dirty and stupid, I can't imagine this is new behavior) but we just don't know yet.
I was trying to gumption up to add that it could easily be this, to start but not finish. ;) Thank you for adding to this! Probably not even the start though is right.

It’s one thing to use dark humor to cope. It is entirely another to use it as a tool to disparage while tasked with impartiality.

The fact we are even discussing this, AND LABELING what proctor said as dark humor is misleading IMO.

This wasn’t dark humor. Not by a long shot, and to call it that is an attempt to excuse abhorrent behavior from a PUBLIC SERVANT.

It should never be excused.

Between Proctor’s texts and Higgins’ driving a government vehicle drunk, it really makes you feel safe that these are the people protecting you. JMO

I don’t disagree, and I’ll probably get shouted off this page……. but in fairness to Lally…… he didn’t pick these witnesses for the prosecution or their evidence. This was brought to them with the investigators, the investigation, and much of their work. Granted there seems to be a considerable question as to why the case was brought, or a plea wasn’t considered, but who knows. MOO

And just to be clear, the MA Rules of Evidence do not provide for admitting the personal phones and/or text chats of investigating officers-- such as all heard in court today by Proctor. These text messages were discovered to to CW and the Defense by the federal government! MOO

Seldom if ever do we have a criminal trial that had a parallel investigation by the federal government. :eek:

Not sure about that, imo.
She should have recused herself ever since we saw her called "Aunt Bev" by one of the Albert's kids on social media.
Her behavior up to this point has been problematic by rushing the defense, to the point Yannetti could not include a rebuttal on record this morning. He had proof the prosecution was lying and she didn't want to hear it!
Objections stated without the reason why is by design. It goes faster (she wants to rush this through) and she doesn't have to explain why something was sustained etc.
The judge has allowed witnesses for the prosecution to narrate stories without being questioned directly.
The judge has allowed hearsay onto the record more than once.
I think a typical judge's eyes would bug out of their head (silently) if they saw solo cups being entered into evidence.
I wonder if Judge Bev will continue her vigorous interest after today.
Or is it all designed to focus on Proctor as the only bad apple in this rotten forest?

All great points. I only started following this case when the trial started, so I don't have the benefit of the background you and others have. Great points.

It’s one thing to use dark humor to cope. It is entirely another to use it as a tool to disparage while tasked with impartiality.

The fact we are even discussing this, AND LABELING what proctor said as dark humor is misleading IMO.

This wasn’t dark humor. Not by a long shot, and to call it that is an attempt to excuse abhorrent behavior from a PUBLIC SERVANT.

It should never be excused.

He made fun of her colostomy bag. Dehumanizing much?

It's not humor, and I'm disgusted that anyone would pass all this off as no big deal and thinks <modsnip - referenced post was removed because the source is not approved> that Proctor should come out swinging and double down on Wednesday.

Not a good idea. This case is over already. No reason to make it that much worse for the defendant, the family of the deceased, and the jury.

it’s remarkably easy to distract from actual evidence
A few “naughty words”- disparaging remarks, said in private and y’all forget what WAS NOT IN THOSE TEXTS… any evidence of FRAMING KAREN READ
pearl klutching about a bunch of guys having a private conversation no one was ever supposed to hear ~ seems silly to me

And just to be clear, the MA Rules of Evidence do not provide for admitting the personal phones and/or text chats of investigating officers-- such as all heard in court today by Proctor. These text messages were discovered to to CW and the Defense by the federal government! MOO

Seldom if ever do we have a criminal trial that had a parallel investigation by the federal government. :eek:
This place needs a federal government investigation.JMOO

He made fun of her colostomy bag. Dehumanizing much?

It's not humor, and I'm disgusted that anyone would pass all this off as no big deal and thinks <modsnip - quoted post was removed because the source is not approved> that Proctor should come out swinging and double down on Wednesday.

Not a good idea. This case is over already. No reason to make it that much worse for the defendant, the family of the deceased, and the jury.
I think it’s no big deal
It didn’t bother me in the least.
They believe based on EVIDENCE & EXPERIENCE and things you haven’t been privy to that she KILLED HIM. A cop.
In their shoes, I assure you, my private comments about her would have been FAR WORSE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member