MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree. She strikes me as being extremely intelligent about the law. I just wish they'd say what the objections (and her rulings) are about so we can learn too!

I think she's very provincial too. Didn't like the idea of Mr. Hollywood Jackson walking into her 200 year old courtroom with no microphones or AC and fewer chairs than I have in my dining room.

She spent entire her pre-judgeship as a public defender. Maybe she's just used to everyone taking a plea for a lesser charge. But she may be beginning to see the light as of today. Surely in the past she had innocent clients that she couldn't fully help and who were railroaded by the system. And the cross of Proctor has only just begun. Things will get worse.

Everyone likes to hate on defense lawyers until they find themselves in need of one :) Crazy thing is, I bet Yanetti would still pick up the phone if Proctor DID need a lawyer, because that’s what defense attorneys do.

Oh, it was a joke. DY would be conflicted. But he'd know someone, I'm sure....

Regarding MP text messages: It so funny how he’s wanting nudes, calls her all kinds of names, yet is interested in her? Did I understand all that? People like that can’t be understood other than they're insecure and immature? They are lost in the sauce and like to feel more superior than others? But, in real life they are not superior to others, only weak. I know many will disagree, but you have to feel sorry for someone like that. moo and speculation

Regarding MP text messages: It so funny how he’s wanting nudes, calls her all kinds of names, yet is interested in her? Did I understand all that? People like that can’t be understood other than they're insecure and immature? They are lost in the sauce and like to feel more superior than others? But, in real life they are not superior to others, only weak. I know many will disagree, but you have to feel sorry for someone like that. moo and speculation

Strongly disagree. He's a dirty, dirty cop and a bully.

2) I think I’m finally starting to understand Judge Cannone. It seems that a lot of her perceived animosity toward the defense comes from their insinuations of corruption within the ranks of MA first responders - cops, state troopers, EMTs. This is the system Cannone works to uphold and is invested in - professionally, morally, ethically. When presented with that actual corruption today she reacted with, I’d say, disgust. I think she is someone who desperately wants the system to work because she understands it has to, and anyone who throws a wrench in that system earns her ire. JMO.
I wouldn't think any of today's testimony came as a surprise to the judge. She had to have seen it before when the Touhy materials were released by the Feds and she had to make rulings on admissibility.

I remember in one of the pre-trial hearings she made a comment about Proctor's inappropriate comments and suggested that the commonwealth wouldn't call him.

I think she's very provincial too. Didn't like the idea of Mr. Hollywood Jackson walking into her 200 year old courtroom with no microphones or AC and fewer chairs than I have in my dining room.

She spent entire her pre-judgeship as a public defender. Maybe she's just used to everyone taking a plea for a lesser charge. But she may be beginning to see the light as of today. Surely in the past she had innocent clients that she couldn't fully help and who were railroaded by the system. And the cross of Proctor has only just begun. Things will get worse.

She definitely has time to redeem herself (in the eyes of those who dislike her). I think she really just did not know everything that was "out there" with regard to this case.

IMO MOO

Have you ever heard the term 'black humour'? I know many professionals that make unprofessional comments but still give 110% and do not let their personal feelings affect how they do their job. If you think that this is not common then you live under a rock. Proctor just got caught at it.
What he said was not black humor.

I think he enjoyed having power over her. Going through her phone, learning her secrets and gossiping about them to his buddies.

It's misogyny.
She is an object to him, subject only to his desires and convenience.

He feels superior, and his career allows him to behave as such.
I can't empathize with how he treats others.

I only feel sorry for the hundreds of women who have probably gone before Karen Read who have had their personal photos scrutinized (and probably passed around) by this *&^&%^.

It's obviously not the first time this particular group chat has talked about things like this. None of them seemed phased at all.

Reminds me to keep my photos on my phone in check lest a male officer ever needs to go through my phone!

Also, she could have been Martha from Baby Reindeer and they still would have gone through to try to find nudes. It's not about sexual attraction; it's about power. And probably bubbies.

IMO MOO

Have you ever heard the term 'black humour'? I know many professionals that make unprofessional comments but still give 110% and do not let their personal feelings affect how they do their job. If you think that this is not common then you live under a rock. Proctor just got caught at it.

Is that the same as "dark humor?"

I think of dark humor in a different way, having nothing to do with sexuality. I have a friend who I send articles to from time to time because even though tragic, I know she will laugh hysterically because she likes dark humor....they are always "dumb criminal" type stuff, an oddly worded obituary, etc. Not this crap or offensive words (like the R word or the C word or whatever it was he said about a balloon).

JMO MOO

Lead MA State Police Investigator, Trooper Michael Proctor, takes the stand in the Karen Read murder trial. Warning - he did read aloud some very graphic text messages that he sent to family, friends and colleagues about Read. Latest here —> @NBC10Boston

My big takeaways from today:

1) Surely despite whatever else the CW has planned - barring video evidence of Karen hitting John on purpose - their case tanked today. I do not see how they get back the jury back after this.

2) I think I’m finally starting to understand Judge Cannone. It seems that a lot of her perceived animosity toward the defense comes from their insinuations of corruption within the ranks of MA first responders - cops, state troopers, EMTs. This is the system Cannone works to uphold and is invested in - professionally, morally, ethically. When presented with that actual corruption today she reacted with, I’d say, disgust. I think she is someone who desperately wants the system to work because she understands it has to, and anyone who throws a wrench in that system earns her ire. JMO.

3) It should the scare crap out of all of us that none of this ever would have come to light without the federal investigation. As citizens we have to place so much trust in our LE and when that trust is betrayed the consequences are devastating.

4) What does it say about Lally’s track record thus far that I was actually relieved he brought up the texts first in direct instead of letting AJ shred his witness on cross like has happened every other time? (Although on second thought, after hearing the texts, maybe this was the one time he should’ve just skipped over that…)

5) The CW apologists are real quiet in this thread ever since Proctor took the stand - cmon, don’t be shy! Let’s hear how this was actually another masterful gambit by the CW.
Just curious, does everyone think this was J Bev’s first time hearing any of the MP info? Idk myself, but I can’t imagine some of this wasn t unveiled in pre trial hearings?

She definitely has time to redeem herself (in the eyes of those who dislike her). I think she really just did not know everything that was "out there" with regard to this case.

She had no idea who one of the critical witnesses was - I think it was Bukhenik - right before the trial. So I agree, I don't think she knew that much. Although she had to have read the FBI material.

By the way, Proctor's wife is on the defense list. Yeah, she got involved too....

Lally's direct of MP barely touched on his part in the actual investigation and was concentrated on his dirty comments instead. I guess that leaves the defense limited on issues they cant cross him on.JMO
Wonder on that too…… but IIRC proctor on more than one occasion has stated I believe on the record today that any conduct by him or offensive or inappropriate ‘jokes’ did not affect the investigation. And wasn’t that allowed without objection or judge ruling? So maybe he opened that door wide open? IANAL. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roxie1892