Identified! MA - Provincetown, Race Point, 'Lady in the Dunes' WhtFem 27-49, UP11840, Jul'74 - Ruth Marie Terry

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DDP has commented as well

Looks like this Lady of the Dunes case is back in the news! https://www.esquire.com/.../stephen-king-son-solve.../

998154_10203283399984920_705327964_n.jpg
Margaret Press Thanks for the link! We've been in touch with the agency and will try to gently prod them

Looks like this Lady of the Dunes case is back in the news! https://www.esquire.com/.../stephen-king-son-solve.../

Margaret Press Thanks for the link! We've been in touch with the agency and will try to gently prod them
"Three years ago, a writer from Entertainment Weekly took interest, offering to help track down the name of the extra, which—if she were alive—could disprove Hill's wild theory. Hill claims a Universal Studios archivist told the writer they couldn't find the extra's name; Shari Rhodes, the casting director for Jaws, died in 2009."

screen-shot-2018-08-02-at-5-42-28-pm-1533246163.png

Facial reconstruction images created by forensic experts.
Courtesy National Center for Missing and Exploited Children

"Three years ago, a writer from Entertainment Weekly took interest, offering to help track down the name of the extra, which—if she were alive—could disprove Hill's wild theory. Hill claims a Universal Studios archivist told the writer they couldn't find the extra's name; Shari Rhodes, the casting director for Jaws, died in 2009."

screen-shot-2018-08-02-at-5-42-28-pm-1533246163.png

Thank You dotr

Did not know that the extra had been a long term questionable possibility. Have been a light reader on her case all thou I do find it very interesting. At the end of the day media publicity for her or any other Doe's is always greatly appreciated.

Thank You dotr

Did not know that the extra had been a long term questionable possibility. Have been a light reader on her case all thou I do find it very interesting. At the end of the day media publicity for her or any other Doe's is always greatly appreciated.
It is interesting that the female extra has not yet come forward to say that she is obviously not" Lady ITD" which would effectively end that line of speculation.
Hopefully someday soon, either the extra, the uid, or both will be recognized by somebody!

Well if it is her she is dead so will not be stepping forward!!! But that is what I am hoping that someone will see this on the web and maybe recognize her or maybe someone she was with.
I wish the two people that I knew who were extra's were still alive because they were native islanders. I still know a few people that live over there now but were not at the time of the filming.
I just keep on thinking of all that expensive dental work and why if they cut off her hands and pulled some of the teeth why not pull them all. There were still enough teeth to see that she had many gold crowns.

I just came across a book written on this while doing a little research. The title is The Shanty by Sandra Lee. That is the name of the young girl that found the body but nowhere can I find if this Sandra Lee is of the same person. Anyone?

<Snip>

Even if they can't talk to the casting director anymore because she is deceased, it still seems like there should be a list of extras somewhere. I wonder if they have tried identifying any of the other extras in the same scene as the mystery woman? Someone back then had to have known her name. Were extras in Jaws paid or were they volunteers? If they were paid even a small amount there has to be a record of it with the government. Even if they were not paid or records are gone, there had to be a way to contact extras and let them know what days they were filming, where to show up, what to wear, etc. Jaws being such a big production, I would guess they were paid a small amount.

I understand when records from closed down businesses are gone after several decades, but it seems like a list of good movie extras would be a valuable thing to keep for future movies. Would the casting director really be the only one who would have this list? Many of those people who were extras may have done it hoping to get recognized or start a movie career. If I was researching this I would start by looking for actors with "Jaws Extra" on their resume. Then ask those people to give any names of other extras they can remember and start rebuilding the list. This would take a lot of work, but eventually there might be a name of a woman who looks like the Lady in the Dunes and hasn't been heard from since 1974... Or they might locate the woman who was the extra and disprove the theory. JMO.

I just came across a book written on this while doing a little research. The title is The Shanty by Sandra Lee. That is the name of the young girl that found the body but nowhere can I find if this Sandra Lee is of the same person. Anyone?
rbbm.
Whitey Bulger, gays, and the Lady Of The Dunes murder mystery
"The ghost of Provincetown's most infamous gone girl continues to follow Sandra Lee, author of The Shanty, and Provincetown regular since the 1970s. The crime writer was only nine-years-old when she claimed to have stumbled on the cold case of the century. According to Lee's exclusive interview with Boston Spirit magazine, the Lady of the Dunes' decomposing body continues to haunt her dreams. During an emotional discussion which stirred up childhood demons, Lee says the woman's dead body sounded like a string of pearls rubbing together.

Provincetown Crime Scene

"She was in the brush, in the sea grass about 15 feet from an access road," Lee recalls. "The road follows the backside of Dunes' Edge Campground. She was in the thick of the brush. It was nothing shy of horrific. It was something I will never forget."

Lee, who camped at Dunes' Edge every July in the early '70s, says it has taken her years to talk publicly about the horrors from her childhood. While there is a local teenage girl on record who is credited with calling responding officers at the scene in 1974, the 49-year-old author says she and her sister found the rotting corpse of the Lady of the Dunes two days before police were alerted.

"I stumbled down an incline with my dog," she continues. "The dog was ahead of me. My dog got excited about something. I heard a very strange noise. If you could imagine someone holding a string of pearls, I heard that sound. And then there was a horrible smell. At first, I attributed it to low tide," Lee recalls the horrific scene with emotion. "She was face down. Her hair was a mess and I could see a gouge in the right side of her neck. Her arms were tucked down in the sand so I didn't know anything was missing. I recognized the green blanket right away."
"I believe there were a few people who found the body, but there is only one who spoke to police in person about it."
"On July 26, 1974, the naked decomposing body of a woman in her 20s or early 30s was discovered by a girl (not Lee) walking her dog"

"James "Whitey" Bulger. In fact, Bulger — who had a past as a gay-for-pay male hustler — was a regular at popular LGBT hangout The Crown & Anchor, and has been linked to a woman with a similar description to the Lady of the Dunes. There was also a size 10 shoe imprint found at the scene, the same shoe size as Bulger, and a green towel or blanket believed to be from the Crown & Anchor.

Did Bulger do it? According to Lee, he should be a person of interest.

Bulger in Provincetown

Provincetown became a safe haven for lesbians and gay men in the late 1960s and early '70s. There were several LGBT friendly bars, including the A-House, which "turned gay" in 1976, the Pilgrim House, P'town's earliest drag bar called Weathering Heights, The Moors, and of course the Crown & Anchor."

Last edited:
The Shanty: Provincetown's Lady in the Dunes by Sandra Lee

"Sandra Lee uncovers new secrets in the most notorious unsolved homicide in Massachusetts history: The Lady in the Dunes. The Shanty is not just a story rooted in an old mystery; Lee captures the dogged determination of the small but elite group of investigators with the Provincetown Police who went as far as to question whether Boston mobster James "Whitey" Bulger should be questioned as a suspect. A great read." -Michele McPhee, Best-selling Author and Award-winning Journalist On the morning of July 26, 1974 a young girl walking her dog near the dunes at Race Point Beach made the gruesome discovery of a woman brutally murdered. Thirty-eight years later the case remains unsolved; neither the victim nor her killer has been identified. The body rests in a nameless grave at Cemetery of the Church of Saint Peter the Apostle while the Provincetown Police Department continues to tirelessly investigate what has become New England's oldest unsolved murder mystery. Based on the true story, The Shanty; Provincetown's Lady in the Dunes is a thrilling tale of loyalty and honor, deception and betrayal, and one of ultimate sacrifice wherein people are forced to dig deep into the past and discover the darkest sides of their hidden selves. (less)

I could not find this when I put in questions.
It says above that Sandra & her sister found the corpse two days before the police were alerted? Then she goes on to say that she believes that a few people who found the body but only one talked to police. I have never read that anywhere.
Am I seeing this wrong?

A little update from the earlier post
Margaret Press Oh wow, I was just coming here to recommend her!! Glad to see you guys are already on to it!! They said they got a good sample off of her, so hopefully one day she will get her name back.

Margaret Press I think we have a good chance of identifying her and could likely fund her as well. We just need them to follow up. Sometimes the chain of command approval takes time, and cold case victims are lowest priority.

This was in my local paper today. Interesting theory

Stephen King’s son thinks ‘Jaws’ holds the clue to an unsolved murder

Stephen King's son, author Joe Hill, believes the Lady of the Dunes may have been an extra in the movie Jaws.

“I’ve heard it said that everyone who was out on Cape Cod in the summer of 1974 appears in the movie “Jaws,” Hill said. “I’m sure that’s an exaggeration, but there’s a nugget of truth. People knew there were movie stars on Martha’s Vineyard. The possibility that a person would make a stop on the island and appear in the movie is not unreasonable.”

I believe they said in the link upthread she did write a book but I could be mistaken.

I could not find this when I put in questions.
It says above that Sandra & her sister found the corpse two days before the police were alerted? Then she goes on to say that she believes that a few people who found the body but only one talked to police. I have never read that anywhere.
Am I seeing this wrong?

If I had stumbled on somebody I thought was a Whitey Bulger victim, I wouldn't have reported it either, I don't think. He personally killed or ordered murders of several people who were thought to be witnesses to his crimes. A look at the 19 murder victims in Bulger trial

If I had stumbled on somebody I thought was a Whitey Bulger victim, I wouldn't have reported it either, I don't think. He personally killed or ordered murders of several people who were thought to be witnesses to his crimes. A look at the 19 murder victims in Bulger trial

How would a 9 year old know that or her parents for that matter that were just vacationing there?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne
Back