MA - Vanessa Marcotte, 27, murdered, Princeton, 7 Aug 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So how would they know about the 2:30'ish "ping" at the restaurant area if they didn't get worried until 3'ish. I'm not questioning you, but rather trying to figure out how the app works that they used to try to find her. Does it give "last known location" or is it something that is done immediately.

In other words, if they checked the app at 3, would it give the location where the phone was at 2:30?

It could also be a safety app that sends a message if you don't cancel it. You enter a time and a help-me message, and when the time comes, it pops up a message asking if you're okay. If you don't cancel, it sends the message to your chosen contacts. It was designed for dating situations, but I've known several people who use it for running, solo hiking or biking, or things like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it shows last known location if phone is off or dead.

Helpful info. Last night I was thinking through the case and wondered how he got the body where it was found.

At the moment, I'm thinking he spotted her while he was in a car? Did he get her into his car or did he get out of the car and nab her? Did he transport her in the car to the dump location or carry her?

Knowing it's a cart path does open up possibilities.

Yes which makes me wonder if they could potentially compare evidence found on a vehicle to foliage and dirt found at the crime scene.

Photos from the Boston-area TV stations showed the intersection to the south, but that could have just been where LE parked.

Yes I think they were only able to show where they blocked both ends of the road.

Yes which makes me wonder if they could potentially compare evidence found on a vehicle to foliage and dirt found at the crime scene.

I'm also thinking a local would know about the cart path, but possibly not something a random person traveling through would know about.

jmo

They did say she was found down a cart path wide enough for a car to drive down about a 100 yards from the side of the road and about a half mile from her moms house.

When looking at a map I can only see one obvious cart path going into the woods and that's off the west side of the road opposite of her moms. And more like a mile up the road in the direction of town.

Which article said that? Pointer please.

I'm also thinking a local would know about the cart path, but possibly not something a random person traveling through would know about.

jmo

It would have to be someone who had driven those roads before or had time to find a good place (as in if they had this planned out). There are lots of random "cart paths" turning off in the woods from back roads....most kids use them at night for hooking up, going to smoke pot or party....so local kids would definetly know where backroad turn off were.

Here's a new article that mentions the "Mountain Barn Cell Phone Ping"
http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/Search-for-Answers-in-Joggers-Death-Continues-389832011.html

Sounds like they only know that her phone connected to the tower next to the Mountain Barn restaurant ~2:30PM. (You can see the tower in street view on google maps, at the light department property to the right of the restaurant.) Princeton is extremely hilly and sparsely populated -- I'm not sure how many towers there actually are. It doesn't sound, from this article, that the ping actually indicates that she was particularly close to the Mountain Barn restaurant. (The restaurant is less than a mile from the crime scene "as the crow flies", but several miles by road.)

It would have to be someone who had driven those roads before or had time to find a good place (as in if they had this planned out). There are lots of random "cart paths" turning off in the woods from back roads....most kids use them at night for hooking up, going to smoke pot or party....so local kids would definetly know where backroad turn off were.

As time goes on, the more and more this seems like a random crime by a local perp, probably by someone who has done something similar before or at least thought about it a lot. I don't think Vanessa was targeted specifically or stalked, except that someone noticed her that afternoon as she jogged.

But, the burns do perplex me. That either took some advance planning or took at least a little time to accomplish. It's not as if he assaulted, killed, and fled. He took the extra steps to burn her and was confident enough that the fire and smell wouldn't be detected.

Which article said that? Pointer please.

I can't remember where I read it, I've seen so many different articles and they mostly all same the same things. But I remember reading it very specificall because I thought it was weird they called it a "cart path" and I also remember reading it was wide enough for a car.

I think it's a combination of quotes from the Boston Globe and Worcester Telegram & Gazette:

"The official said Vanessa Marcotte was found dead more than 100 yards off Brooks Station Road on Sunday afternooon in a heavily wooded area about half-mile from her mother’s home."

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...g-princeton/AfIQDNRaY60Ek5DtkL9H3O/story.html

"In the woods, a charred area not far from a cart path wide enough to drive a car marks the place where the body was found at about 8:20 p.m."

http://www.telegram.com/article/20160809/NEWS/160809276

Here's a new article that mentions the "Mountain Barn Cell Phone Ping"
http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/Search-for-Answers-in-Joggers-Death-Continues-389832011.html

Sounds like they only know that her phone connected to the tower next to the Mountain Barn restaurant ~2:30PM. (You can see the tower in street view on google maps, at the light department property to the right of the restaurant.) Princeton is extremely hilly and sparsely populated -- I'm not sure how many towers there actually are. It doesn't sound, from this article, that the ping actually indicates that she was particularly close to the Mountain Barn restaurant. (The restaurant is less than a mile from the crime scene "as the crow flies", but several miles by road.)

That's been my thought too. If she was in the woods at that time, the closest to were location could easily have come from near Mt Barn.

I was just thinking it wouldn't be that odd or surprising if a local was driving around with gasoline in the bed of their truck either. There are a lot of farms in the area, and I could see someone just having it on them.

Perhaps the crime and fire weren't planned per so but both were based on opportunity.

Also with the fire I think almost anyone with access and an obsession with watching crime shows could attempt to cover their tracks with that method. I don't think it necessarily points to someone who has done this before or who is known to police.

I was just thinking it wouldn't be that odd or surprising if a local was driving around with gasoline in the bed of their truck either. There are a lot of farms in the area, and I could see someone just having it on them.

Perhaps the crime and fire weren't planned per so but both were based on opportunity.

Also with the fire I think almost anyone with access and an obsession with watching crime shows could attempt to cover their tracks with that method. I don't think it necessarily points to someone who has done this before or who is known to police.
I agree with these points. Still can't figure out why the perp chose to burn only those parts.

I agree with these points. Still can't figure out why the perp chose to burn only those parts.

Warning - graphic speculation.

What if the perp set a fire on the ground and shoved her into it - that would account for burns on the feet. He then sprayed accelerant on her face, which she instinctively covered with her hands, which would explain those burns. Perhaps that was enough torture to satisfy him (or he feared detection) and he left it at that.

I HATE this thought because I want to hold on to hope that the burns occurred after death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste