MA - Vanessa Marcotte, 27, murdered, Princeton, 7 Aug 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They must have DNA if they said they know the perp is a male, right?

Just a wild hunch here - total brainstorm, speculation.

Maybe they really did have something significant, but decided at the last minute not to release it, for whatever reason. Instead, they gave this press conference that provided rather predictable information rather than significant information. Maybe they decided to hold their cards tight for a little longer.

Again, just thinking aloud....

jmo

Damn...Both VM and KV fought so hard for their lives. Can't be in vain.

Perps appear to be high on the depravity scale. LE needs a break in both cases.

No More Victims.

Just a wild hunch here - total brainstorm, speculation.

Maybe they really did have something significant, but decided at the last minute not to release it, for whatever reason. Instead, they gave this press conference that provided rather predictable information rather than significant information. Maybe they decided to hold their cards tight for a little longer.

Again, just thinking aloud....

jmo
That would make sense. Those details weren't significant IMO.

I understood that they could tell someone's race from their DNA. Would there be a reason why this hasn't been put out there in this case as well as the Karina Vetrano case? TIA

I understood that they could tell someone's race from their DNA. Would there be a reason why this hasn't been put out there in this case as well as the Karina Vetrano case? TIA

You mean they have DNA based evidence that the suspect is not a caucasian male and do not want to communicate this information to the public?

Ok so if we have the location correct...down a cart path about 100 yards off of Brooks Station Road, going north away from her mothers house by about a half mile and on the right hand side....then that brings up the question....how did she get there?

Did he pick her up somewhere else and drive her down there?

Was he pulled over there to perhaps go fishing somewhere in the woods?
Was his car already hidden out of sight? Or did he drive the car down after he grabbed her?
So many possibilities.

Maybe he was already parked down the cart path and lured her there by pretending to need help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have grown somewhat used to New England standoffishness in the almost 40 years I've lived here, but occasionally something like this reminds me how deep it goes. Where I grew up in Montana, it was unusual to not know everybody in a ten-mile radius or more. People like my mother even knew all the people in the trailer park where the itinerant construction workers lived. Which is not to say that she socialized with them, but if she met them at the store, she recognized the face and knew the name.

I live in New England, too, and it's very much not like this. New Englanders are notoriously standoffish.

You mean they have DNA based evidence that the suspect is not a caucasian male and do not want to communicate this information to the public?

I never thought of it in that sense. I was thinking of the Hannah Witheridge/David Miller case in Koh Tao...right away they said the suspects were Asian after they tested the DNA. There was a case in Louisiana, I believe, where the FBI initially thought the killer was white and by doing a genetic test found that he was black which enabled them to catch him.

I don't think DNA testing is able to conclusively identify anything in regards to a persons appearance. (skin color, common ethnic traits.)

I don't think DNA testing is able to conclusively identify anything in regards to a persons appearance. (skin color, common ethnic traits.)

It can certainly point to a particular race using genome sequencing.

I'm pretty sure that they can identify quite a few physical characteristics:

"The HIrisPlex DNA analysis system that can establish hair and eye color from forensic samples in modern crime scenes can also identify details from ancient human remains, according to a paper which used the system to reconstruct hair and eye color from teeth up to 800 years old."
http://www.science20.com/news_artic...scover_hair_eye_color_medieval_remains-100830

I'm pretty sure that they can identify quite a few physical characteristics:

"The HIrisPlex DNA analysis system that can establish hair and eye color from forensic samples in modern crime scenes can also identify details from ancient human remains, according to a paper which used the system to reconstruct hair and eye color from teeth up to 800 years old."
http://www.science20.com/news_artic...scover_hair_eye_color_medieval_remains-100830

My guess is that regular ol' DNA testing can quickly give basic information like gender and can be used to match to someone specifically, such as someone in a database or suspect they take DNA from.

Anything beyond that, I would think, costs more money and takes more time. So maybe LE will get that genetic/heritage information eventually for this case, but at the moment, I think what they have are the basics.

jmo

It can certainly point to a particular race using genome sequencing.

They can definitely pick out things that suggest you have genetic history in common with some broad groups, but not much more than that. They could only guess at your appearance based on that. "This person probably had an ancestor from the Pacific Islands."

I can see the danger in that when you're looking for tips, if people read too much into it. "Eh, he's from Wisconsin. Must not be him."

If they do not find a suspect soon, I think they will do race/origin DNA testing. They need as much info as possible, and it is available. Jmo

If they have reason to think he's local, testing wouldn't help much. That part of the state is about 96% caucasian from western Europe.

If they have reason to think he's local, testing wouldn't help much. That part of the state is about 96% caucasian from western Europe.

It would at least eliminate the thought that it could be tied to those Westborough abduction attempts. They believe that man was Hispanic.

I did 23 and me. For example, it didn't say I had brown eyes, light skin, and dark hair, but it would say I likely had these traits. It was able to tell that I'm 98.7% European. It wasn't very expensive. It cost me around $150 because of a groupon, and took about 6 weeks. All I had to do is spit it a vial. I'm sure the tests the police run go into much greater detail than this thing I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Houndgirl2003