MA - Vanessa Marcotte, 27, murdered, Princeton, 7 Aug 2016 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A few things I've been thinking about (which could be disturbing to some readers...Sorry):
-could the perp have clipped Vanessa with his car, knocking her to the ground and leaving her injured/disoriented and more easily overpowered? He then could have either dragged her into a car or off the road and into the bushes.
- I think the burning was done in a panic, possibly because he has a record/DNA on file, but also to conceal his victim's identity. In most cases of missing people, the searches take a while to get off the ground and I think this case is quite unique in that police and dogs were searching for Vanessa only hours after she was reported missing. I think the killer probably thought that some time would pass before her discovery so an attempt to conceal identity would have been aided by time and natural processes.
-if this was a spur of the moment/opportunistic attack what resources are available to an unprepared killer in a car? If this perp ended up with a dead body on his hands along this cart path with only his car available to him, could he get a fire going? The news footage showed trees charred at waist-high so I believe an accelerant was used. Maybe using a tube to siphon fuel from the car, I wonder if the killer could have used the victim's clothes as combustible material (or maybe even tied them together to wick off gas from a car's fuel tank?) A non-smoker would also have to rely on a car's cigarette lighter?

Just my musings as I think this was not a very organized and planned attack, or if it was, things went off-script quickly - perhaps because she put up a good fight.

Right?!! Some really crazy connections. Could be nothing but definitely worth looking into, even further. I also want to add that I don't think this perp, if in fact connected, has a high intelligence level at all!

Just lives or lived in this area, so familiar grounds, crime of opportunity? Released on bail or just released from jail.
hmmm...
Did this guy also recently move or ever live in Howard Beach.

Makes sense to me, and I've been thinking along the same lines.

Princeton-ish local transplanted to NYC, murdered KV and fled back to his hometown area to lay low, then got the "urge" and/or an opportunity and did it again. Perp didn't know KV, and may have incidentally "known" VM but probably only in passing.

I think it's pretty unlikely that these murders are related, but if they are, this (or some approximation of it) is really the only scenario that seems plausible to me.

Agreed

Evidence of a connection would be IF there were DNA on/in each victim of the perp that matched. That would be the 'gotcha' evidence that would conclusively solve that question.

So far, no connection between the two crimes has been made, although some people think there is, even though police said they don't have any reason to think they are related/connected at this time.

Evidence of a connection would be IF there were DNA on/in each victim of the perp that matched. That would be the 'gotcha' evidence that would conclusively solve that question.

So far, no connection between the two crimes has been made, although some people think there is, even though police said they don't have any reason to think they are related/connected at this time.
The last I heard, police said there was nothing connecting the two, but that they also couldn't rule out a connection.

The last I heard, police said there was nothing connecting the two, but that they also couldn't rule out a connection.
DNA is what will definitively rule this in or out, barring a confession by the perp or an eyewitness to the crime. If the police (who have the resources of the FBI) say there is nothing connecting the 2 crimes, then I'm going with what they say since they know the case and what all the evidence is.

Hi kirus. Your post spurred a bit of thought and research. It looks like recent info puts the US murder rate at appx 4.5 per 100,000 >> http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/VC.IHR.PSRC.P5?locations=US >>
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/murder-rates-nationally-and-state. Which means for a city with appx 3400 people, Princeton should have about 1.5 murders per year. I'm sure there have been others, but Princeton doesn't seem to be disproportionately murderous.

Hi kirus. Your post spurred a bit of thought and research. It looks like recent info puts the US murder rate at appx 4.5 per 100,000 >> http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/VC.IHR.PSRC.P5?locations=US >>
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/murder-rates-nationally-and-state. Which means for a city with appx 3400 people, Princeton should have about 1.5 murders per year. I'm sure there have been others, but Princeton doesn't seem to be disproportionately murderous.

There was a dentist who stands accused of pushing his wife out a 3rd story window. And the disappearance of a 5 year old 100's of years ago....but those are literally the only two I can think of and I've lived in the wachusett area for 31 years.

The two killers lived about 8 houses apart so maybe a quarter mile at the most.

I think there's a misplaced decimal point in that calculation.

4.5/100,000 x 3400 = 0.153 = approximately one murder every 6 or so years (a much more comforting statistic for the good people of Princeton, Ma ;) )

You're quite right, my bad math. So perhaps 2 or 3 indicates some type blip (although I think the two quoted are a few years apart) ?!

Isn't that essentially the same thing I posted? I used the wording "at this time" "police have no reason to believe there's a connection." Perhaps inference isn't understood. To me it's obvious if a connection hasn't been made "at this time," then it's also true that "at another time (in the future), there may be different information that allows LE to come to a different conclusion."

You're quite right, my bad math. So perhaps 2 or 3 indicates some type blip (although I think the two quoted are a few years apart) ?!

Even though the murderers are from Princeton, neither crime took place in Princeton so therefor wouldn't be accounted for in Town statistics of crime.

I think the perp made a fatal mistake by burning her.
Rather than destroying evidence it probably introduced evidence easily traceable to him (in my opinion).

Running on the theory of an escalating perp, here are a few assaults/ attempted abductions of female runners in the surrounding areas:
Does anyone want to opine about a possible link to these attacks?

Avon, CT, 6/26/15 (79mi. away):
http://www.courant.com/breaking-new...ault-investigation-0626-2-20150625-story.html

Been following this thread for a while now. Not sure if the motorcylce thing came to fruition but something stuck out to me when OP linked this other indicent above.
It mentions the perp was wearing a reflective vest. Usually only construction workers and motorcycle riders wear reflective vests. Also some riders carry a special bottle for gas since our tanks are much smaller. I ride a lot so I know it stuck out to me a lil. Just thought I would throw it out there even though its probably not related.

Been following this thread for a while now. Not sure if the motorcylce thing came to fruition but something stuck out to me when OP linked this other indicent above.
It mentions the perp was wearing a reflective vest. Usually only construction workers and motorcycle riders wear reflective vests. Also some riders carry a special bottle for gas since our tanks are much smaller. I ride a lot so I know it stuck out to me a lil. Just thought I would throw it out there even though its probably not related.

Hi Skyd0g

If you read back, the LE stated the incidents were not related, there are links :)

I haven't read of any connections, but LE certainly does have a way of keeping things 'very secretive'!

Thanks ~

jmo :moo:

Hi Skyd0g

If you read back, the LE stated the incidents were not related, there are links :)
:

I'm losing track of things now but has LE also stated that the attack on a CT runner wasn't related? Or were you just referring to the motorcycle accident?

But in the CT case, I'd think another runner could also be wearing a reflective vest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to admit I don't frequently follow cases, but does it often take more than a week to solve these things?

I have to admit I don't frequently follow cases, but does it often take more than a week to solve these things?

It usually takes much longer then a week to solve cases and most are still unsolved.

Thanks, I rarely follow these cases. Past cases I've followed were solved in a week or less, so I was hoping the fact this was taking a bit longer shouldn't be concerning. I really do hope this won't fall under the unsolved category though. The fact that the police haven"t asked for anything new besides who was on brooks station between 1-3 still doesn't sound promising

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member